PDA

View Full Version : Would love to buy iWork but not

liquid stereo
Apr 6, 2010, 03:45 PM
Unless Apple seriously gets with it, I will not be purchasing Keynote or Pages. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way.

When is OS 4 supposed to roll?

SilentPanda
Apr 6, 2010, 03:48 PM
"gets with it" - what issues do you have with Keynote or Pages? That might help facilitate discussion.

pvmacguy
Apr 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
What issue do you have with keynote and pages? I'm at work and just created a small flyer pages and didn't have a problem.

mumper
Apr 6, 2010, 03:54 PM
No export to Powerpoint or Excel. Horrible oversight by Apple.

Silvereel
Apr 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
Well, maybe Microsoft will port Office to the iPad at some point, once they see that the Windows 7 tablets aren't going to beat it. But for now, I think Pages will suit me just fine. Aside from the compatibility problems you mentioned (I would love to have this fixed a bit more, too) it really is an awesome word processor. I know word processors aren't exactly on the cutting edge, or very advanced, but as far as they go, this really is a great one, and typing on the iPad is a lot of fun once you get used to it.

JonboyDC
I agree that they need to work out the export issues, and the printing issues. (It shouldn't be necessary to rely on a third party solution for something as basic as printing).

I will say that I'm really happy they decided not to bundle these three apps together. I'll definitely be getting Pages and Keynote, but I have no use for Numbers, and I'm glad I'm not being forced to pay for it.

miles01110
"gets with it" - what issues do you have with Keynote or Pages? That might help facilitate discussion.

...as well as explaining how OS 4.0 is going to help things.

phooi
Apr 6, 2010, 04:04 PM
No export to Powerpoint or Excel. Horrible oversight by Apple.

Agree with the export issues on numbers and keynote. That's why I just bought pages -- exports to Word and is a decent word processor.

Maaz
Apr 6, 2010, 04:08 PM
No complaints for pages here.

NewSc2
Apr 6, 2010, 04:20 PM
Thought I'd use Numbers, but without multitasking it's almost useless. I'm usually referencing numbers from another PDF or spreadsheet when I'm typing up my Excel reports.

pvmacguy
Apr 6, 2010, 04:25 PM
Agree with the export issues on numbers and keynote. That's why I just bought pages -- exports to Word and is a decent word processor.

Ah well that's really dumb then. I have only really had go export in pages and not the other two.

iCheddar
Apr 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
Apple needs to fix the clunkiness of dealing with documents on iPad.

There should be a far simpler way to get files on and off an iPad.

In January the iPad was going to have the option to mount a folder when docked, that file sharing functionality was taken away, hopefully they bring it back with iPhone 4.0

munckee
Apr 6, 2010, 05:26 PM
What issue do you have with keynote and pages? I'm at work and just created a small flyer pages and didn't have a problem.

I may well be in this camp (once my 3G arrives). From early reports, there's a very low file size limit for use in Keynote that doesn't begin to meet my needs. Until it has the same capabilities as the desktop version—or at least the ability to present files correctly—it's useless to me. My understanding is that it supports very few fonts, doesn't maintain transitions from the desktop app, etc.

str1f3
Apr 6, 2010, 09:33 PM
From what I've read (http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7935) iWork has some real issues such as:

-Grouped objects are ungrouped
-endnotes and footnotes are not imported in Pages
-Table of Content changes to regular text
-some fonts cannot be used on the iPad
-Recorded or Embedded audio is not imported from Keynote presentations.
-Presenter Notes and Comments are not imported
-3D charts are converted to 2D charts
-Changes tracked in an imported document are accepted and comments are not imported
-All links other than weblinks are removed

liquid stereo
Sep 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
After purchasing Pages and Keynote, I've come to really dislike Apple's deliberately limiting their software.

• The way the iPad deals with files is just silly.
• The file size limitation on Keynote (30 MB) means that movies cannot be in the file.
• Few of my movies, built using Apple/MacOS codecs that came with my Mac, will actually play on the iPad.

This entire thing has convinced me that Apple has deliberately hamstrung the iPad to not take sales away from their MacBooks.

Unless Apple seriously gets with it, I will not be purchasing Keynote or Pages. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way.

When is OS 4 supposed to roll?