PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Fan Failing

theappleguy
Apr 6, 2010, 10:15 PM
The fan seems to be failing on my MacBook Air, it has become loud and every now and then goes into spasms. I think I'm going to need to get it replaced, although I'm going to buy a new MacBook Air as soon as the new models arrive so will try to delay replacing the fan as long as possible (NAB will have to be my deadline).

It seems that the fan has just worn out - it doesn't surprise me given the fact it runs on full blast half the time on the Rev A MacBook Airs. Does anyone have any idea what the cost of replacement is likely to be? Also, for anyone who has had an issue like this before with any laptop, any ideas how long the fan will continue to function after it starts making weird noises etc?

Scottsdale
Apr 7, 2010, 02:09 AM
The fan seems to be failing on my MacBook Air, it has become loud and every now and then goes into spasms. I think I'm going to need to get it replaced, although I'm going to buy a new MacBook Air as soon as the new models arrive so will try to delay replacing the fan as long as possible (NAB will have to be my deadline).

It seems that the fan has just worn out - it doesn't surprise me given the fact it runs on full blast half the time on the Rev A MacBook Airs. Does anyone have any idea what the cost of replacement is likely to be? Also, for anyone who has had an issue like this before with any laptop, any ideas how long the fan will continue to function after it starts making weird noises etc?

I have found all kinds of Mac parts on Chinese wholesale websites. I would bet you can get a replacement fan shipped to your door for less than $20.

Maybe not as it appears it's only sold as the entire thermal system including heat sink.

Ifixit has them but they're pricey.

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Air-Original-Fan/IF188-008

UsedMac

http://www.usedmac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=204&products_id=1821&osCsid=806bce6626eea325dee1a13fc87ef43b

ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-922-8316-Apple-Macbook-Air-Thermal-Module-W%2F_W0QQitemZ380221491293QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100405?IMSfp=TL1004051910006r24164

I would check for just the fan via a wholesaler from China as your best bet for a less expensive fix. However, you might be using Google translate and take up more than $30 of your time trying to do it which makes iFixIt.com seem fine at $50 for the entire thermal system... even include instructions.

Good luck.

theappleguy
Apr 8, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks Scottsdale. I'm getting a quote from a service centre sometime today and will compare - will try and get Apple to replace it for me though regardless of the cost. I'm prepared to accept that as a first generation product the cooling wasn't up to standard, that it isn't capable of playing high res videos and the speaker and mic have failed (since I'm going upgrade soon anyway it isn't a huge issue), but if poor engineering is going to cost me money because parts wear out after just two years, that's just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Scottsdale
Apr 8, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks Scottsdale. I'm getting a quote from a service centre sometime today and will compare - will try and get Apple to replace it for me though regardless of the cost. I'm prepared to accept that as a first generation product the cooling wasn't up to standard, that it isn't capable of playing high res videos and the speaker and mic have failed (since I'm going upgrade soon anyway it isn't a huge issue), but if poor engineering is going to cost me money because parts wear out after just two years, that's just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I agree with you. Probably needed replacement because the fan is overworked on the original MBA. Too bad Apple didn't own up to its complete obligation for selling the original MBA. It was obvious to Apple just how problematic it was as it was willing to dump its original MBA stock for $999 to $1299 when asking $1799 to $3099 less than eight months earlier, when introduced. Still now you're getting the shaft for buying an original model Apple product. Unfortunately, Apple is so secretive about its new products that it probably doesn't test them sufficiently, and new first edition Apple product buyers often get shafted. Fortunately, Apple adapts quickly and learns from its mistakes to make a great second version nearly every time. If I wasn't such a fanboi I would wait for the second version of every Apple product. I expect there to be problems with my iPad too...

theappleguy
Apr 12, 2010, 06:06 PM
I've spoken with Apple and they are willing to pay the cost of labour if I pay the cost of the component. Basically I pay 1/3 they pay 2/3 which is fine with me - seems like a fair compromise. :)