Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
Hello All,

I am really hoping some people in here can help, seeing as most people in here are experts. Yesterday when applying the newest security update, the software update app seemed to freeze at "optimizing Hard drive -34%", I restarted and the computer would just sit at the gray apple screen and would go no further. I reset the nvram and that didnt help at all.

I booted off the CD and attempted to rpair permissions on the disk via the "First Aid" utility, it found an error and was unable to repair it, I already did a backup so I decided to just erase the disk. I did an erase and began a fresh install on the disk. Everything goes fine with the install but after the restart, it shows the gray screen and then a box comes up like an error, saying you must restart your computer by holding in the power button, this seems like the Apple "blue screen of death", I cannot get any further at all, tried to install again and it still doesnt work, same error after the restart every time.

If there is anyone out there who has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated...Thank You So Much.

buzzfgo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
Up State NY
Not sure if it will help but I had the same error on an emac. I put an airport extreme card in and apple tech told me to take it out to see if it fixed it. It did. Just had to reseat the card. I am by no means an expert here but that's my story.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
buzzfgo said:
Not sure if it will help but I had the same error on an emac. I put an airport extreme card in and apple tech told me to take it out to see if it fixed it. It did. Just had to reseat the card. I am by no means an expert here but that's my story.

I am looking to try every option under the sun, so I will gladly try, thanks for the idea.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
pull out all third party things that you have hooked up to it or put into it, even RAM! Then try to format your complete harddisk try times and do the slow format, everything to zero's! Then you know it is empty. After that, you can install everything and cross your fingers it works again. I really don't hope if this has effected your firmware, if so (if you keep having this problem, it affected your firmware) try to install the firmware updater as soon as possible. Then it should be O.K. Goodluck!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would reset the PRAM first. When turning on the computer, quickly hold down the Apple-Option-P-R keys, and hold them down till you hear the chime 4 times. Then boot the OS X cd and do a repair of the Disk, then of the permissions. I just had the stalled Apple Grey screen myself after trying to get more battery life out of my iBook, and this is how I reset it to get back into the OS.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Zapping the P Ram sometimes work, also had it once with my G3 B&W. Didn't startup right, crashed on startup. So zapping the Pram a lot, didn't help. Left the Mac plugged out of a power socket for a couple of days, did the trick! Probably there was some electric shock in there that had to dissolve for itself!

denm316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I tried removing all add-on accessories, RAM, Airpoirt, USB PCI Cards and the extra hard drive. That did not seem to work. I did another erase this time formating it to all zeros, and still had no luck.

Whenever I boot up I get the Kernal Panic screen still, the one which says you must restart your computer in 3 or 4 languages.

When I boot off the CD and goto the First Aid Tab and do verify/repair, I get the following:
Checking HFS Volume
Invalid B-Tree Node Size...

It is the unable to repair this, and this error comes after a fresh install of the O/S.

And thoughts or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.