Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can download the developer tools for free you know? They are pretty big. Go to developer.apple.com. If you don't have a developer account you can create a free one. Then log in to the Mac side and download "Xcode 3.2.2 and iPhone SDK 3.2".

Note that whilst the developer tools are free they are still copyrighted. Anyone uploading or emailing you setfile is technically infringing on Apple's copyright.

andrew.bussman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah… I was hoping to avoid having to download the whole thing for just one file. I see your point about the copyright, though.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
A quick search does not indicate any downloads I'd trust. Searching for setfile on the Mac Developer Center gives the man page and says that it can be installed as part of the XCode tools so Apple don't provide a separate download :(

ridnhard19

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
Another way of getting the SetFile tool:

Download pacifist; insert your OS X Restore DVD that came with your computer and open the optional xcode packages pkg with pacifist. Search for SetFile, drag, drop done!

I used SetFile to remove my second hard drive icon on my MBP after i moved all user home directories (entire /User directory) to my non-ssd drive.

I didn't want two drive's on my desktop and did not want to install the whole developer tools for just SetFile. Then again, if I ever need to compile anything on here, I'll need it. But until then the space is mine!

Thought I would document my solution for other's who need the tool too.

:cool:

rolfen

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
I found on my system using this trick:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060731083729533

You may not have noticed, but a number of recent Apple updates (eg. at least the 10.4.5 through 10.4.7 updates) have included the SetFile utility in their installer packages, leaving a copy in /Library/Receipts.

To find what is available on your system, try either of these commands (the first may include some unrelated results, but it's faster, assuming you've created the locate database) in Terminal (found in /Applications -> Utilities):

$ locate SetFile | xargs ls -lut
$ find /Library/Receipts -name SetFile | xargs ls -lut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.