Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
All of a sudden, when I open a .vob file in MPEG Streamclip, and play it, there is no audio. I did not use to have this problem. AVI and DV files play fine. My vob files play fine in VLC. I have the latest version of Perian installed. Can anyone help?

Alquit

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
All of a sudden, when I open a .vob file in MPEG Streamclip, and play it, there is no audio. I did not use to have this problem. AVI and DV files play fine. My vob files play fine in VLC. I have the latest version of Perian installed. Can anyone help?

I've got the same problem. I noticed that it happened right after Perian auto-updated itself so I'm guessing that's what's caused it. I've tried uninstalling Perian and putting an older version in but no good and I uninstalled MPEG Steamcllip and installed an older version but still no good. BTW I'm running Leopard on a Mac Pro.
On my Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard) Perian didn't auto-udate and MPEG Steamclip is still working as it should.
Maybe the Auto-update changed some preference or something?

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Alquit, it must be the Perian upgrade. I have the same experience as you on my laptop, where I have not upgraded Perian. I posted a note on the Perian forum to see if I can find a fix.

Alquit

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Alquit, it must be the Perian upgrade. I have the same experience as you on my laptop, where I have not upgraded Perian. I posted a note on the Perian forum to see if I can find a fix.

Ok thanks for letting me know. Let's hope we get an answer. In the meantime if I find out what it is I'll give you a shout.
Cheers.

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Well, the "virus" seems to have spread to my laptop as well. Now, when I try to play a VOB file in MPEG Streamclip, on my laptop, I get no sound and the picture doesn't play properly either. It freezes, even though the arrow at the bottom is moving across the screen. Very mysterious.

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Alquit, I am wondering if this doesn't have to do with the Quicktime MPEG-2 playback component, the one that costs $20 to buy. I had purchased it and installed it, but now I don't see it anywhere on my computer. Did you have this installed? Is it still there?

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Check that. I finally located the Quicktime component. It is still there. Back to the drawing board.

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Solved

Alquit, I just installed the Snow Leopard update, and the problem disappeared! Seems to be working fine now.

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Well, no. It was working. But, then, I found that my Apple Mail was not working, so I downloaded a series of updates for Snow Leopard from Apple, and once those were installed, I was back to having no sound on VOB files in Streamclip!

dgarmaise

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I feel like I am talking to myself in this forum lately. I hope this is not another false start: I downloaded the latest beta version of Streamclip (1.9.3.b3) and now my VOB files play fine.

Alquit

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
I feel like I am talking to myself in this forum lately. I hope this is not another false start: I downloaded the latest beta version of Streamclip (1.9.3.b3) and now my VOB files play fine.

Hi Dgarmaise, I'm really sorry I didn't get back to you before now but I have been away and wasn't online. So I've only just seen your messages and I've done the same as you and the sound is indeed back now with the new beta version! So thanks for your help and once again sorry for the delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.