PDA

View Full Version : Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch Smaller iPad in Early 2011

MacRumors
Apr 8, 2010, 09:35 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/08/apple-reportedly-planning-to-launch-smaller-ipad-in-early-2011/)

http://g.media.macrumorslive.com/m/article/2010/04/08/103447-ipad_iphone.jpgIn a brief note (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100407PD226.html), DigiTimes reports that Apple appears to planning to launch a smaller version of the iPad as soon as the first quarter of next year, bringing a sub-$400 price tag to a device carrying a display of 5-7 inches.Apple is reportedly scheduling a smaller 5- to 7-inch version of the iPad that is expected to launch as soon as the first quarter of 2011, according to Digitimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo.

Kuo, citing talks with upstream component sources, said Apple's smaller-size iPad will be priced below US$400 and will target the highly-portable mobile device market and consumers that focus mainly on reading and do not have a high demand for text input.Reports of a tablet of that general size have been floating around for some time now, with an analyst claiming (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/18/analyst-claims-two-apple-tablets-coming-one-with-6-inch-screen/) in August 2009 that Apple had developed a prototype carrying a 6-inch screen. A subsequent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/04/apple-snapping-up-7-inch-touchscreens-ahead-of-january-tablet-launch/) claimed that Apple might be the cause of a major shortage of 7-inch touchscreens in the supplier market. Finally, in late December, a report surfaced (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/23/apple-tablet-with-7-inch-screen-to-be-announced-in-january/) claiming that Apple would be introducing a 7-inch tablet the following month.

While many of these reports indicated that a 6- to 7-inch device could be coming as part of, if not as the entirety of, Apple's tablet launch, the iPad debuted with a larger 9.7-inch screen in line with most other reports. Today's report reveals, however, that rumors of a tablet between that of the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad sizes are not dead and that we may hear more in the future.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch Smaller iPad in Early 2011 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/08/apple-reportedly-planning-to-launch-smaller-ipad-in-early-2011/)

miles01110
Apr 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
Just what we need, an even blurrier line between the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch!

homsar
Apr 8, 2010, 09:40 AM
The iPad mini? Then the iPod touch can be renamed the iPad nano, and a new 1.5" device can become the iPad shuffle. (Maybe they can extend the top end, giving devices with screen sizes increasing in 2" increments all the way to 30" - or beyond! The SuperiPad Macro Whiteboard could revolutionise the Interactive Whiteboard industry...

Pechente
Apr 8, 2010, 09:40 AM
People are already making jokes about the "iPad mini" or "iPad nano", so I guess it wouldn't be a great idea for Apple to really produce such thing :D

deus_ex_machina
Apr 8, 2010, 09:41 AM
iPad nano? :p

Jokes didn't stop iPad from becoming reality. ;)

Screwtape
Apr 8, 2010, 09:42 AM
To avoid confusion with the iPad, the new iPad Mini will simply be known as the "iPhone".

Consultant
Random speculation...

How would "upstream component sources" know how Apple would price its product?

lifeinhd
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

A 5" device is certainly something I would buy, so long as it has a higher resolution than the iPhone and fits in a pocket. I love the Archos 5 because it meets both these criteria.

alm99
This sounds absolutely ridiculous and a waste.

AgingGeek
Apr 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, not so much.

Why?

I don't REALLY don't see the need for this (and I bought 3 iPads for my family).

Not to mention the mess it will make of UI code on the apps.

H00513R
Apr 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
The iPad is small enough for me. I can't squint any more than I already am! :D

Gen
Apr 8, 2010, 09:44 AM
Not gonna happen.

Btw, first page worthy?

Yvan256
Apr 8, 2010, 09:44 AM
I already have an iPad nano. It's called an iPod touch. :p

doctoree
Apr 8, 2010, 09:45 AM
Just like the iPhone nano, this wont happen. There is no need or advantage for further product diversification.

serpico
Apr 8, 2010, 09:45 AM
This is getting ridiculous. The iPod Touch is already available, why do we need another touch device? Unless Apple sees this as their future. Even 2 year olds 'get' the iPad, these are Apple's future customers who probably won't even use a keyboard and mouse. They'll just 'Minority Report' everything one day!:D

tuhoops
Apr 8, 2010, 09:47 AM
This device would have a screen only 1.5" larger than the iPhone / iPod Touch?Hmm...

houdinize
Someone is posting rumors into the future. I believe they have just predicted the iPod Touch. If only this smaller tablet could also make phone calls and they could call it the iPod phone or PhonePad or TouchPhone or maybe MacPhone.

Are we really posting this to page one? Shouldn't this go with all the iPhone mini rumors.

If it happens I'll buy you all one.

swarmster
People are already making jokes about the "iPad mini" or "iPad nano", so I guess it wouldn't be a great idea for Apple to really produce such thing :D

I've never really understood how those "jokes" work. Even if you believe the iPad is nothing but a big iPod touch (or vice-versa), how does having a bigger or smaller version of something make them both less awesome?

iPod touch = awesome
big iPod touch = really awesome

Am I missing something?

geofly
This is a bit surprising, that they would diversify again so quickly, but I guess there is a section of the market that just want to read books. This new device I guess would have a less flashy screen, somehow more optimized for READING and less for watching movies.

djellison
Has Apple forgotten it makes the iPod Touch?

niuniu
Apr 8, 2010, 09:48 AM
I was going to blast this - then I realised that it could be pretty clever. If the iBook store etc takes off, and the market for e-readers develop, which it will now that Apple have been making the right business connections - people will want a novel page sized device to read from as it would be more comfortable and lighter than the iPad which people already complain about being heavy. Maybe they'll do away with the iPod Touch altogether..

MacRumorUser
But why ?

If they release iPhone 4G with higher res display and a iPod Touch shortly after with similar do we need a 1" bigger device doing the same thing again ?

It's neither as big and comfortable to use as an iPad or small and portable of an iPhone / iPod Touch ? What market is there for something that's niche even for Apple gadget die hards ?

:confused::confused:

*LTD*
But it's just a small iPad.

(Folks, it's a RUMOR.)

wgilles
Apr 8, 2010, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't this just be an iphone

phinsup
Prolly just renaming the touch iPad nano.

BuckWright
Goldilocks would have been an Apple fan.

xtend
how retarded.... its called iPod touch///

sigh:rolleyes:

atari1356
Apr 8, 2010, 09:50 AM
and is this one going to have a different resolution too?

How many different resolutions is Apple going to make developers support?

I don't see this happening.

ts1973
Apr 8, 2010, 09:50 AM
No way!

Why on earth would they - or anyone - want to do that :confused:

Journojulz
Apr 8, 2010, 09:52 AM
Would make sense to me.

Its the size of the ultimate portable media medium - the paperback.

iPhone is nice, but just too small to spend more than an hour typing on
iPad is nice, but just too big to put it in pocket or hold in one hand while wandering about.

We all have different priorities - just because YOU don't want it doesn't it stupid.

levitynyc
Apr 8, 2010, 09:53 AM
Terrible idea. It'll never happen.

Chupa Chupa
I believe Digitimes as much as I believed Bahdad Bob back in '03. A smaller iPad a year after the launch of the entire line is not part of the Apple play book. Historically Apple releases smaller version only once the original size has been saturated in the market.

Also it makes it difficult on devs who have to scale for yet another size.

Rocketman
ATNN!

I have been on that bandwagon since the iPhone pre-announcement. I not only expect it but would have expected to have seen it much sooner. It appears there were some miniaturization and debugging issues a larger release first helps solve.

The iPad has a low density display, so I suspect it will have iPad resolution at a physically smaller size.

Hey, when are we going to see a touch enabled iMac 30" for coffee tables?

Rocketman

Hellhammer
Apr 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
Doubt it. There have been rumors about iPhone Nano since it was launched but has Apple released one? No. Same thing with the iPad

Truffy
Apr 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
To avoid confusion with the iPad, the new iPad Mini will simply be known as the "iPhone".
Nope, the iPad mini will be known as the iTampon

Schtumple

Exactly, the iPad is a massive waste of time as it is without there needing to be an even smaller variation that can do just as little...

zedsdead
While I would not have a need for it since I have both the iphone and the iPad, I can see this appealing to people who want an iPad, but are concerned with either the size or the cost.

I don't really expect this rumor to be true, but you never know. It will allow Apple to not have to reduce the price of the iPad.

My major concern is screen resolution. We already have two now, and I Wally think it could get very annoying if they keep changing resolutions. Might not be a concern, but it is something Apple better keep tabs on (which I am sure they are). On the screen reaolution note, I never thought I would be happy to have a 4x3 display again, but I am. It is the perfect ratio for the iPad.

Marx55
A 5-inch iPad would be great. But also a MacBook Air mini (300 to 600 g or so). For full blown Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. Because the MacBook Air is too heavy and large and the iPad does not deliver.

cervaro
Apr 8, 2010, 09:57 AM
7" device would be a good idea from my point of view for more portable usage, car install, etc. 5" just too small really.

aarond12
Apr 8, 2010, 09:58 AM
Should Apple be thinking of a LARGER iPad than a smaller one? Older users will have difficulty seeing smaller screens.

-Aaron-

anthonylambert
When is the iMac touch (shaped like a big wedge of cheese) coming out?

sbrhwkp3
It'll sell, just like everything else they make. ;)

napabar
Apr 8, 2010, 09:59 AM
If true, it's probably time Apple merged the iPod Touch and iPad in one segment, with different sizes. That way "iPod's" remaining mostly music devices, without the App store, and the iPad comes in different sizes. And the iPhone is a....well.....phone! ;)

decimortis
Apr 8, 2010, 09:59 AM
this will only work if it can shoot lasers.

Small White Car
Apr 8, 2010, 10:00 AM
Ugh. EVERY SINGLE TIME a new Apple product comes out some nut claims they'll have a smaller, cheaper one next year.

It usually doesn't work out that way.

Look at the iPhone itself. Remember how many rumors there have been about the iPhone Mini? But what did they do? They made the iPhone cheaper, then they kept the 3G around as a cheaper option when the 3GS came out. Cheaper, not smaller.

Remember the Macbook? And then the Macbook Air? Smaller, not cheaper. Cramming all that new mini tech in there cost them more.

How about the iPod Mini or the iPod Shuffle? They were smaller and cheaper, right? Yes, but they removed features. (Screen on the Shuffle, drive size, in the Mini.)

So when you look at all the things that could happen, I think the most likely choice is exactly what happened with the iPhone. When the iPad 2.0 comes out there will be 6 choices there but they'll keep 2 iPad 1.0 options on the store too, and they'll be the cheapest option.

I think that is far more likely than a device that's too big to be a pocket iPod but too small to make good use of all these wonderful new iPad apps.

SeattleMoose
Apr 8, 2010, 10:01 AM
:d

rtheb
Apr 8, 2010, 10:02 AM
The new smaller and less obtrusive "iPax" in contrast to the bulky iPad????

skyehill
Apr 8, 2010, 10:03 AM
Cool, Apple intends to drop more bombs into the marketplace than the US did in the occupation of Iraq.

PAC88
Apr 8, 2010, 10:03 AM
maybe they just discontinue the ipod touch

WhySoSerious
Apr 8, 2010, 10:05 AM
LOL....what/why??? dumb

"In recent news...Apple is going to start selling iPads in screen sizes 4", 5", 6", 7", 8" and 9.7"....."

LOL

Cinematographer
Apr 8, 2010, 10:05 AM
I was indeed hoping for a device like that. But I don't believe this rumor to become true.

napabar
Apr 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
Cool, Apple intends to drop more bombs into the marketplace than the US did in the occupation of Iraq.

Are you claiming the iPad is a bomb (failure)?

anthonylambert
Apr 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
What about moving the Apple TV to the iPhoneOs platform... make a great console. App Store for delivery of games and Apps that deliver channels and programs/films etc...

phpmaven
Apr 8, 2010, 10:08 AM
You can put me in the "ain't gonna happen" camp as well.

Journojulz
Apr 8, 2010, 10:13 AM
LOL....what/why??? dumb

Just because you don't understand it - doesn't make it dumb.

Small White Car
Apr 8, 2010, 10:14 AM
What about moving the Apple TV to the iPhoneOs platform... make a great console. App Store for delivery of games and Apps that deliver channels and programs/films etc...

Nah, what they REALLY need to do is make a touch-screen remote and include it with the Apple TV. Same exact case as the iPod Touch but ALL it does is work with the Apple TV. It'll come with the Apple 'Remote' app and nothing else on it. They can make them cheaper since they have almost no local storage. Just enough for the app.

Apple TV = ok
Apple TV + iPhone w/ Remote App = AMAZING

If they can get that experience into every Apple TV box (and not just to those of us with iPhones) then the Apple TV will become a LOT more popular.

I bet that in a year or two they'll be able to make that kind of remote cheaply enough to include in every box for free.

rwilliams
Apr 8, 2010, 10:14 AM
In essence, this device would be Apple's version of a Kindle.

maybe they just discontinue the ipod touch

If they're considering this, then they need to open up the iPhone to more US carriers first. A lot of people are still going to want the compact size of the Touch, but will not just rush to buy the iPhone as long as AT&T is the only provider.

Gregintosh
Apr 8, 2010, 10:16 AM
This will take away the app store advantage for Apple to a degree by making it "Android-like" where developers will now have to develop for many different devices with different features, screen sizes and resolutions, processor speeds, etc.

The reason that the app store is so convenient to develop for is because you know that there are millions of nearly identical pieces of hardware out there that can run what you make. Smaller developers who don't have the resources to invest into 3 or 4 or more different versions of their programs will either have to exclude many consumers from using their apps or will have to sacrifice quality on some devices (ex: their app may work perfect on the iPad but have many bugs on the iPad "mini" or iPhone, etc.).

As a consumer, you are also almost guaranteed that what you see on the app store you will most likely be able to run. There are already some issues with that as some apps require 3G or GPS which isn't on all the devices, but now there will be even more requirements to look at.

This is going to create even further confusion.

BAD IDEA.

rydenfan
Apr 8, 2010, 10:16 AM
There is certainly a segment of the population that the ipad is a bit too big for. Commuters who spend a lot of time on public transportation like the size of the Kindle for E-reading. I think this is a good move to Apple and don't really understand all the bashing.

StruckANerve
Apr 8, 2010, 10:17 AM
Talk about pointless

Bleubird2
Apr 8, 2010, 10:19 AM
I was going to blast this - then I realised that it could be pretty clever. If the iBook store etc takes off, and the market for e-readers develop, which it will now that Apple have been making the right business connections - people will want a novel page sized device to read from as it would be more comfortable and lighter than the iPad which people already complain about being heavy. Maybe they'll do away with the iPod Touch altogether..

Why not just make an iBookstore app for the iPod Touch then? I don't think that they're actually going to do it anyway, after all it is just a rumor.

napabar
Apr 8, 2010, 10:19 AM
This will take away the app store advantage for Apple to a degree by making it "Android-like" where developers will now have to develop for many different devices with different features, screen sizes and resolutions, processor speeds, etc.

The reason that the app store is so convenient to develop for is because you know that there are millions of nearly identical pieces of hardware out there that can run what you make. As a consumer, you are also almost guaranteed that what you see on the app store you will most likely be able to run. There are already some issues with that as some apps require 3G or GPS which isn't on all the devices, but now there will be even more requirements to look at.

BAD IDEA.

3 or 4 devices with different screen sizes made by Apple is nothing compared to dozens made by different manufactures with completely different hardware, screens, keyboards, etc....

Bedawyn
Apr 8, 2010, 10:21 AM
If you think this couldn't work, drop by an office supply store and look at all the products made for a 5" x 7" folio size.

I'd have been happy with either a 5 by 7 or the current iPad; if I have to choose between them when I'm ready to buy it, I may short-circuit. My ideal device that I used to dream about was a 5 by 7 that folded/slid out to about 8 by 10 when needed.

ten-oak-druid
Apr 8, 2010, 10:23 AM
The ipad mini or the ipod maxi?

I'm waiting for the 40" maxi ipad.

beachfamilyedre
Apr 8, 2010, 10:24 AM
We haven't heard the rumor about the Supermaxipad or the ultramaxipad or the ultraminipad yet...

Tasteless, maybe, but Apple really stepped in it this time with their naming...

alexk82
Apr 8, 2010, 10:25 AM

as soon as i saw the title of this post i thought the same thing

JakeTheMac
Apr 8, 2010, 10:25 AM
I'm done with Apple if they do that. All the PC boys will have too many jokes...

skellener
Apr 8, 2010, 10:26 AM
B.S. Not gonna happen.

Friscohoya
Apr 8, 2010, 10:27 AM
Ultimately there will be several sizes. They just need to be lighter.

Small White Car
Apr 8, 2010, 10:29 AM
There is certainly a segment of the population that the ipad is a bit too big for. Commuters who spend a lot of time on public transportation like the size of the Kindle for E-reading. I think this is a good move to Apple and don't really understand all the bashing.

The point is that I can, right now, tell you every main product Apple sells off the top of my head. You can go to Apple.com/store and see them arranged on that one page.

Compare that to Dell.com where you have hundreds of choices (it seems like) across dozens of different pages that are constantly changing. I have never met even a die-hard Windows fan who can tell you what's what on Dell.com at any given moment. 'Just go on there and browse around' is what you have to do.

I can't explain it all here but there have litteraly been entire books written about the strength of the Apple approach. Every time you make the customer make a choice between 2 things you are ACTUALLY giving them 3 choices: Pick A, Pick B, or walk away. This is why you configure a Macbook on one web page. Dell's multi-page 'setup' system gives people many, many chances to decide "eh, I'm gonna go look at HP or Sony."

But it's not just the website...the product line itself has to be simple. The best page in the world can't make many similar objects seem not confusing. It's the reason there is not a 14" Macbook between the 13 and the 15. It's the reason there is not an iPhone mini or a double-high Mac Mini. It's the reason there's not an aluminum 15" Macbook Pro and a white plastic 15" Macbook.

I can promise you that the 6 iPad options are making Steve Jobs sweat, but they really had no choice there. But wait and see. I bet that next year there will only be 4 iPads when they kill the bottom model and drop the price of the other 2 by $100. I'm certain that Apple can't WAIT until they can have only 4 iPad models.

Given all of that, adding different size iPads just doesn't make sense for the Apple business plan.

Banyan Bruce
Apr 8, 2010, 10:30 AM
How about getting this little "Tiger" cooking properly first ?

This iPad has far too many holes to be filled before we go off making a baby brother or sister. There are only so many developers and engineers around and it would be better to sort out this first beta version before we go off making new "toys" .

Now where shall we start ....lets get iWorks for iPad doing a proper job etc...:rolleyes:

aardwolf
Apr 8, 2010, 10:31 AM

And the giant one could be called the "iPad Maxi"... known as the iMaxiPad among techies.

Corbin052198
Apr 8, 2010, 10:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (Nintendo DSi; Opera/507; U; en-US))

Jeez, when the iPhone first came out I thought it would be a small product line compared to Macs, but look at it now:

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPod Touch
iPod Touch 2G
iPod Touch 3G
iPad
SOON-TO-BE Smaller iPad

gianly1985
Apr 8, 2010, 10:32 AM
This looks like complete BS for various reasons.

Developing-wise it would be plain stupid, apps must be tailored to a certain diagonal.

Corbin052198
Apr 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (Nintendo DSi; Opera/507; U; en-US))

This device would have a screen only 1.5" larger than the iPhone / iPod Touch?Hmm...

Reminds me of the Nintendo DSi, which I am using to post this...

ppnkg
nonsense. This would suggest that the pad is just a larger touch. I think apple understands the pad as something quite different - hence all the spin about the pad being 'magic' and 'revolutionary'. The size of the pad seems ok for what apple wants it to do- they should just focus on making it better, because frankly I think ver A is underspec'd

rob1215
It's called the iPod touch. Been around for a few years now.

gtg660w
Apr 8, 2010, 10:37 AM
nuff said.

ten-oak-druid
Concerning the "ipad maxi" jokes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU

ppnkg
The ipad mini or the ipod maxi?

I'm waiting for the 40" maxi ipad.

how about an ipad with wings?

Schizoid
Apr 8, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hi, I'm an "industry analyst" like Piper Jalfrezi...

Apple will sell 100 million iPads by the end of the week.
They'll then release a smaller version with an 8.32 inch screen
Then will come the iPad Jumbo, based on the 27 inch iMac technology
and the Mac mini will be bolted onto a pony and stampeded through Coventry

...can I have my fee now?

Drag'nGT
Apr 8, 2010, 10:40 AM
Not gonna happen. Just like the iPhone Nano that never happened.

Jamuke
Apr 8, 2010, 10:41 AM
This has got to be a joke, surely? I already have a smaller iPad, it's called an Ipod touch! Apple stop wasting time and bring out the new macbook pro's already! :mad:

Perrumpo
Apr 8, 2010, 10:42 AM
I think I'd prefer the current iPad. The screen real estate feels luxurious when used to the iPhone, and it's a decent alternative for a laptop when all you want to do is some browsing or games/video. A smaller one doesn't make sense to me, personally.

Westside guy
Apr 8, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'd love to see a Kindle-sized iPad. I'd buy one in a second. If I don't buy an iPad first - I'm on the fence about that. The current form factor is larger than I'd like.

What I don't understand is how people - even if they personally don't want one - somehow can't wrap their heads around the concept of an intermediate-sized device. It's like complaining about a 13" laptop... "What? We already have 17" laptops and netbooks! Why would you want something in between?" :D

ten-oak-druid
Apr 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
It isn't far fetched actually to suggest an ipad of this size.

The kindle has two sizes. Actually the comparison is usually misrepresented by using the smaller kindle.

I would say though that they are better off improving the one they have and developing accessories for it.

I would suggest a good accessory would be a mount for the car to replace the mini-televisions and dvd players. Perhaps a control mechanism for the driver.

skinnylegs
Apr 8, 2010, 10:46 AM
This has got to be a joke, surely? I already have a smaller iPad, it's called an Ipod touch! Apple stop wasting time and bring out the new macbook pro's already! :mad:
Pretty sure Apple *isn't* wasting time on this. I find this article to be quite silly. It should have been relegated to page three.

lifeinhd
Apr 8, 2010, 10:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I think this would be more of a larger iPod touch, not a smaller ipad. I can see a 5" device replacing my iPod touch easily. It stretches the boundaries as to what fits in a pocket, sure, but because I can still fit it in, it shouldn't be a problem taking the place of my Touch for everyday use. It wouldn't be so much a "new category" of device like apple markets the ipad, but rather an expansion of the iPod touch.

sososowhat
Apr 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
...the product line itself has to be simple. The best page in the world can't make many similar objects seem not confusing. It's the reason there is not a 14" Macbook between the 13 and the 15. It's the reason there is not an iPhone mini or a double-high Mac Mini. It's the reason there's not an aluminum 15" Macbook Pro and a white plastic 15" Macbook.

I can promise you that the 6 iPad options are making Steve Jobs sweat, but they really had no choice there.
I agree the product line has to be simple, but there's a difference here. A 14" MacBook would have very nearly the same utility as a 13". A 7" iPad would have about 3-4x the screen area as an iPod Touch, making it a much better reader or browser choice, and far more portability and less weight than the current iPad. With the iPod/iPhone line Apple has used memory sizes as differentiators for price & model. Those are really just configuration options, similar to disk options on a computer. The MacBook 250GB, 320GB and 500GB aren't different models, just different configurations.

In the future I expect Apple will do the same with the iPad line (including the iPod Touch). Screen size (& 3G/4G) will determine models; storage will be a configuration option.

iPad Nano (current Touch), with 32, 64, 128GB options
iPad Mini (7") with 32, 64, 128 GB options
iPad (9.7") with 32, 64, 128GB options

Just 3 products (or 6 if 3G are considered models, not options).

arkmannj
Apr 8, 2010, 10:51 AM
I thought the smaller iPad was already released...the iPod Touch and the iPhone.

sishaw
Apr 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
I think it's great--basically, it's like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. Whatever one's preference, there's going to be one that just right for you. I think Apple sees a world where everyone has at least 1 Apple device.

Now what Apple needs to work on is a better network experience among these devices and the iPhone. Letting them all share a 3G connection would be nice for a start. And adding cameras to all devices for visual conferencing/chatting.

macduke
Apr 8, 2010, 10:54 AM
Just make me the biggest iPhone that I can fit in my pocket. 4.5" ought to do it, with a 960x640 IPS display.

Honestly I'd rather have a bigger iPad that can dual-boot OS X and iPhone OS. 13" is perfect. Actually, just pry the screen off the MB Air, somehow fill it with all the guts of a MB Air, and include a capacitive touch IPS screen that gets 12 hours of battery life. Then include a touch optimized version of OS X with enlarged buttons, menus, handles, etc.

That's not asking too much, right? :D

I'm still really happy with my iPad though. I just wish Safari could keep some tabs open for crying out loud!

sushi
Apr 8, 2010, 10:55 AM
I don't see it happening.

Developers would need three versions of an app. IMHO, that's too much to ask.

Two verisons, iPhone/iPod touch and iPad is fine. Three versions gets a bit too much.

But who knows. Time will tell.

PandaOnslaught
After I Read This Article I Wanted To Punch My Self In The Balls111!!!1

jamesryanbell
Pointless. THere's no room between iPod and iPad.

baryon
Apr 8, 2010, 10:56 AM
Well... to me, something either fits into my pocket or in my bag. Anything that doesn't fit in my pocket might as well just be as big as it can. Kinda of a strange idea to have a small iPad, since that would once again require developers to make apps for that specific size, meaning that we'll have 3 different kinds of apps and it's going to be a mess... I doubt Apple would do this, but well why not... I think the iPad is just big enough to be comfortable to use (haven't seen one yet though) but small enough to be practical to carry around. Anything smaller will be unpractical, like the iPhone, so it might as well just be the iPhone then... But I may be wrong!

nxent
Apr 8, 2010, 10:58 AM
about a week late for april fools, no?
'apple to release "mini-pad", which has the same size and form factor as the ipod touch...'

akadmon
Apr 8, 2010, 10:59 AM

It's simple, really. The mini iPad will replace the iPod Touch. The latter surely has eaten into the iPhone sales, so it makes sense for Apple to replace it with a device that is not so much like the iPhone, especially if they can charge a little more for it than what they are charging for the Touch.

Stella
Apr 8, 2010, 11:00 AM

Get the Apple marketing machine going and they will convince people that there is room. They managed it with the iPad, so they could probably do the same with an iPad Mini.

emir
Apr 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
smaller iPad = iPhone !

If Steve Jobs came up with this idea he must be high or something...

It is just pure BS. Instead of doing such things they should be interested in making their notebooks etc... better.

beebler
Apr 8, 2010, 11:02 AM
My source hasn't mentioned anything about this so I'm thinking this isn't planned. I've never received wrong info or had something missing.

All I know is that the next iPad which will be released early next year will have the camera that was pulled from this one due to the software conflict.

sishaw
Apr 8, 2010, 11:03 AM

I don't think they expect people to have and iPhone/iPod, iPad, and this rumored device. I think this one is simply for people who would like a larger iPod Touch and find the iPad too large for their needs. Maybe they primarily want a color book reader, for example. It's not about "room between" this time, it's about leveraging the mobile OS into enough devices of different formats that everyone of the 6 billion people on Earth will want at least one of them.

ranReloaded
Apr 8, 2010, 11:04 AM
how retarded.... its called iPod touch///

sigh:rolleyes:

That's the WiFi-only model. The WiFi+3G is called iPhone ;)

adammull
Apr 8, 2010, 11:10 AM
Sweet, ever since last Saturday when I got the iPad, I have been thinking about needing a device to bridge the gap between iPhone and iPad. Sometimes I need to carry something in between and this would hit that sweet spot. ;)

aaronsullivan
Apr 8, 2010, 11:12 AM
I want to play Risk or Agricola on that iBoard, right now! :D

I think many iPad owners will be excited about a 7" or a 13" iPad.
I want a 15" iPad. lol.

My best long-shot hope is an iMac Touch with an iHinge and clever cable placement that lets you lay the screen at 45 degrees or so and also completely flat. I wouldn't expect that until 2011 at the earliest, however, to possibly coincide with the next major Mac OS X release.

The iPhone is probably going to end up being called the trojan horse that began bringing both customers and developers into the multitouch paradigm. The iPad is just bringing them a little closer to the desktop. Mouse and keyboard won't go away for a long time, but most consumer use of computers won't need it.

Will be interesting to see what iPhone OS 4 brings today. Maybe it will shed a little light on the smaller iPad possibility or the convergence with desktop computers. Probably a bit early for that.

Maybe that vision is a little too sweeping, but I enjoy it, nonetheless. :)

RT2020
Apr 8, 2010, 11:15 AM
That's it....I think this company has truly gone to #%$T

aaronsullivan
Apr 8, 2010, 11:17 AM
Oh, and to those saying smaller iPad = iPod Touch.

Have you held up an iPod Touch to an iPad? It looks like a tic-tac. Suggesting that there is no room for a size in-between is bizarre.

Having both does make the iPod Touch feel cute, though. Sort of like a super deformed version of the iPad. It is funny how my perception of the iPod Touch has turned into a smaller less functional iPad pretty much over a couple of days.

Eddyisgreat
Apr 8, 2010, 11:18 AM
I hope the new iPad Nano fits in your pocket.

That'd be SWEET! Imagine, e-mail, games, multi-touch, media all on the go. I'm really excited about this device and will probably get one when it comes out.

But then what would I do with my iPhone?

andrew12
Apr 8, 2010, 11:19 AM
I personally look forward to an 8.5x11 or (even better) 9x12 iPad to use for PDF sheet music. A musician's dream... Apple, please, please! :)

rumplestiltskin
Apr 8, 2010, 11:19 AM
Smaller??? Why not bigger? I'd buy a 14" or 15" iPad. I know; the cost of such a screen is way beyond reasonable right now. I'm quite pleased with my iPad (and am composing this on it right now) but when that larger touchscreen comes along and Apple has voice recognition built into iPhone OS 5 (or 6?), that will be my Knowledge Navigator. (That dates me, eh?)

Eric S.
Apr 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
Great! Now if they'd only make one that would fit in my pocket.

Oh.

emir
Apr 8, 2010, 11:24 AM
Actually iBoard sounds like a great idea. If they keep the price tag under 900-1000 bucks then every school would get them. Imagine, chalk-free schools means healthier children. Surfing the web in class. It should be a big one though. Height should be like 1m and width should be at least 3 meters.

And there are a lot of schools, means a lot of sales, if kept in the right price.

cube
Apr 8, 2010, 11:26 AM
Why so much negativity? 7" is the size the iPad should have been.

srauber
Apr 8, 2010, 11:30 AM
If this happens we´ll see a lot of posts explaining why the Ipad nano mini or whatsoever will be the Apple product what everybody has to have. Even when the already have a macbook, Ipod touch, Ipad and an Iphone they will say it is important to have this device.
And if you say this a lot of peolple here will not understand cause you have to have all Apple devices :-)
This reminds me on something said in this forum. He said that his relationship with his wife has changed positively with his new Ipad cause he was playing with his new toy and let his wife watch her TV soaps. Maybe he should have played with his wife then the relationship would not be the problem :-):D

louden
Apr 8, 2010, 11:31 AM
higher pixel density please...

Wolfpup
Apr 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hmm...I might go for a 5" iPod over the 3.5" model. Could make it more usable, and I don't know that the size difference would make it any less portable to me.

skyehill
Apr 8, 2010, 11:41 AM
And the giant one could be called the "iPad Maxi"... known as the iMaxiPad among techies.

For your heavy workflow days.

HarryKeogh
Apr 8, 2010, 11:44 AM
Has anyone made the "They already have one. It's called an iPod Touch!" joke yet? What? Everyone did? Sorry.

SpaceKitty
Apr 8, 2010, 11:47 AM

Agreed, it's already called the iPod Touch. Oh wait...

-=XX=-Nephilim
Apr 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
Now we are talking!

Hope this rumours are true since I would get such device straight away...

Main reason why I will never buy iPad is exactly its size which is way too close to the size of laptop...

I already have portable device - MBP!

I need MOBILE device and currently own 2nd g. iPod Touch but slightly larger screen would be welcome - in short - exactly what this rumour is all about :)

Bring it on!

nagromme
Apr 8, 2010, 11:53 AM
Getting the price down is great for the platform (and for the people who can then afford it), as long as it allows iPad-style functionality that the iPod Touch cannot. Still, this sounds a little April Foolsy to me! Especially if the next iPhone—and thus the next Touch—get higher-res displays anyway.

Sounds fishy. But I realize that for doing iPad-style work and browsing, physical inches matter more than pixels. Maybe, if the iPad market is huge enough, there’s room for a middle option.

More useful, I think, is the machine I’m certain is coming one day: a hard-core production iPad for professionals: non-portable, no tilt, massive widescreen display, meant for desktop use. Lying flat for comfort, (or a slight tilt), not propped up. Apps for that could truly replace Photoshop and the like. Some other year...

jviphone
Apr 8, 2010, 11:55 AM

actually the minature version will be known as the ipad where the bigger version will be renamed to the Max-ipad.

zodqyv
Apr 8, 2010, 11:55 AM
Personally, an iPad with a 5-7" screen is exactly what I wanted in the first place. I will order three of them. :)

tys
Apr 8, 2010, 11:59 AM
If they made a small ipad with a camera, 3G, and the same $30/mo data plan, I'd replace my iPhone with it. I never use the phone anyway.

pubwvj
Apr 8, 2010, 12:10 PM
This is good. Choice. Users can buy what fits their needs.

It would be great to have everything from wrist watch up to 50" displays. The big units would have space in them for many processors, hard drives, DVD and BluRay optical drives, Flash memory cards, etc. This would act as the business or family main system with multi-users. Using something like Wormhole or other VPN client the processing power of the server could be used from anywhere in the world (by authorized users of course). iPads, iWrists, iPods, etc would be windows into our data and our data would automatically synchronize between the main machine and our portable machines providing data redundancy and backup. Wonderful!

CommodityFetish
Apr 8, 2010, 12:21 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. They had great success with the iPod, iPod Nano, and iPod shuffle, so why not the same diversification for the iPad/iPod touch line. As I understand it, the iPad is a bit too big/heavy to hold and read with one hand. Fix this with a cheaper, smaller, lighter model that's handbag sized, the size of a mass market paperback. This sounds like a very reasonable spread on screen sizes:

3.5 inch screen on the iPad Touch
6-7 inch screen on this mini iPad
10 inch screen on the iPad
13-14 inch screen on large iPad

I don't understand why people are so negative about this -- "please Apple, give us less choice, we want fewer options, please decide for us what's best for every one of us."

And developers having to develop for 3 size screens instead of 2? I don't see this as a significant problem. Buck up people, make your apps run on more than one size screen. Not that hard. (And someone made a good point that the iPad screen resolution is not that dense, so you might end up with the same resolution in a smaller screen.) Skate to where the puck is going not where it is now. Who want's a future with only two screen sizes?

ValSalva
Apr 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
6-7" is the size they should have started with. The current iPad is too heavy and awkward to be the grandparent computer many are touting it to be.

-=XX=-Nephilim
Apr 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
Personally, an iPad with a 5-7" screen is exactly what I wanted in the first place. I will order three of them. :)

Exactly...

iPad as is - at least for my needs - is ultimate in pointless :cool:

5-7 inch would be perfect :apple:

droz
Apr 8, 2010, 12:32 PM
I file this one into the false rumor category. However, sometimes i swear apple just leaks stuff like this through back channels so that they can float design ideas past the apple faithful. Well Apple, if you are listening, this is NOT a worthwhile design.

oldwatery
Apr 8, 2010, 12:36 PM

Has Apple forgotten they make real computers :mad:

JAT
Apr 8, 2010, 12:48 PM
Nah, what they REALLY need to do is make a touch-screen remote and include it with the Apple TV. Same exact case as the iPod Touch but ALL it does is work with the Apple TV. It'll come with the Apple 'Remote' app and nothing else on it. They can make them cheaper since they have almost no local storage. Just enough for the app.

Apple TV = ok
Apple TV + iPhone w/ Remote App = AMAZING

If they can get that experience into every Apple TV box (and not just to those of us with iPhones) then the Apple TV will become a LOT more popular.

I bet that in a year or two they'll be able to make that kind of remote cheaply enough to include in every box for free.
You think capacitive touchscreen with 2 way communication comes for less than $100? Let alone free? And for a device with what, 5 buttons really?

Any decent universal remote on the market can already duplicate this, many for less than Apple charges for their current remote. That just doesn't add up.

recordprod
Apr 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
A5 size - about 7 inches - would be great. :)

Jaro65
Apr 8, 2010, 12:58 PM
I guess the idea is to compliment the three sizes that MBP's come in?

ValSalva
Apr 8, 2010, 01:09 PM
They should make custom sizes too. I'll have an iPad 4.75" and an iPad 6.5" please :D

Eidorian
Apr 8, 2010, 01:10 PM
Give me a lighter SafariPad with plug-in support for $199 and you have a sale.

I think they should compact the lines to say 32 or 64 GB and differentiate based on size after that.

miniroll32
Apr 8, 2010, 01:16 PM
The new 'iPadTouchMiniNano'

A good companion for the iMacNanoMiniPro

hiptobesquare
Apr 8, 2010, 01:42 PM
The headline for the "report" is bogus. A smaller iPad IS and iPod Touch. The iPod Touch already fills that role, and could easily be updated as the article describes.

With the iPad on the scene, this whole mess only makes sense one way.

next revision of the iPhone/iPT gets a closer design to the iPad, and the the iPod Touch gets re-named iPad Nano, or Mini, or whatever.

That would actually make a bit of sense... Touch-screen devices named iPad or iPhone, non-touch-screen devices retaining the iPod name, namely the scroll-wheel Nano, and the buttonless shuffle.

I could see both the iPod Touch -> iPad Nano, gaining the look and feel of a ~5" diagonal screen, perhaps Super-AMOLED with the tighter multi-touch digitizer integration and higher resolution, and no-backlight requirement, in a thinner but slightly wider and longer casing. If they maximize the screen real-estate, and minimize the bezel area, perhaps mimimizing the home button, or placing it in the lateral edge or something... I could see perhaps a significantly more useable screen size increase, with a minimum increase in overall dimension, to still remain fairly "pocketable."

Basically the iPad 3G downsized to 4th gen iPhone might be a similar improvement, although perhaps not quite as much screen size increase, in order to maintain speaker, microphone, and other phone functions within the boundaries of the casing... Minimum bezel area would be harder to achieve with more hardware associated with phone usage, especially with proximity sensors and perhaps a front-facing camera. With all of that, iPhone may have to stand out a bit from looking like a small iPad, even if the next iteration of iPod Touch does become a small iPad version.

It does make some sense to move toward a bit of a four-square product matrix between iPad, iPad 3g, iPad nano (future-formerly iPod Touch), and iPhone. big size or small size, cell-tranciever on board, or no cell service on board.

Bleubird2
Apr 8, 2010, 01:53 PM
This reminds me on something said in this forum. He said that his relationship with his wife has changed positively with his new Ipad cause he was playing with his new toy and let his wife watch her TV soaps. Maybe he should have played with his wife then the relationship would not be the problem :-):D

Sounds like a temporary solution to a relationship problem. The fighting will resume when the power is out and the iPad battery dies. :)

MacSlut
Apr 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
The reason this isn't going to happen is that there's no (virtual) shelf space for it.

Take a look at the product line up. The iPod touch goes from $199 to $299 to $399.

The iPad picks up at $499, $599, $699 (and 3G for an extra $130).

A smaller iPad needs to fit between the touch and the iPad. Sure, they could go with 16GB and price it at $299 or something so there's overlap, but overlap creates confusion, something Apple always tries to avoid.

There's also the issue of what purpose does this serve. The smaller iPad wouldn't fit in a pocket, but would be too small to display things like the full sized iPad. It would be a bad experience.

wizard
Apr 8, 2010, 02:24 PM
Given that the screen comes in an HD ratio and is still pocketable this would fit my needs far better than an IPad. IPad is to big and the screen is less than optimal for playing back video.

If this thing is real they better put in 512MB of RAM too. I'm already getting the impression that Apples approach to multi tasking is going to suck, but even so iPads greatest short coming for new apps is the lack of RAM.

Dave

WLS
Apr 8, 2010, 02:25 PM
The reason this isn't going to happen is that there's no (virtual) shelf space for it.

Take a look at the product line up. The iPod touch goes from $199 to $299 to $399.

A smaller iPad needs to fit between the touch and the iPad. Sure, they could go with 16GB and price it at $299 or something so there's overlap, but overlap creates confusion, something Apple always tries to avoid.

There's also the issue of what purpose does this serve. The smaller iPad wouldn't fit in a pocket, but would be too small to display things like the full sized iPad. It would be a bad experience.

You were doing good until the last part. Then it's just assumptions and opinion on your part. Apple could merge the Touch line into the iPad line
Or just offer the Touch with the iPhone resolution and a smaller iPad with the iPad resolution. People would be free to buy what fits their needs and the lines are distinct and Apple sells even more product. Win win as far as I see it.

drjsway
Apr 8, 2010, 02:33 PM
Unlikely. iPad apps are 1024x768. An iPad mini will have to use the same resolution, which would make icons absurdly small. Rolling out separate apps just for iPad mini is overkill as well.

Nostromo
Apr 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
Take away the bezel, and you have the smaller iPad without losing anything.

It could be the second generation iPad, replacing the first generation iPad, and not an additional model.

wizard
Apr 8, 2010, 02:43 PM
Somebody from San Francisco ought to know that!

Shelf space is easy to fine. Especially if you refactor existing hardware. Apple should be able to lower the price on Touches considerably by the use of custom hardware. After all Apple explicitly said that the Touches where designed to be their low cost product.

Yep and with a little work they can knock of $100 on each of those.

More BS. The size of the screen is enough to set the mid size device apart. There would be no overlap if the devices used the same processor and flash because it is all about the screen. Frankly it is what many of us want.

Depends upon your pocket! More so it depends upon what you can tolerate when carrying it around. On top of that if the aspect ratio is HD or wider the device will fit in places the fat iPad ratio devices can't.

What you are missing here is that screens in this size give you the most realestate in a portable package. Portable as in fitting a pocket or hand well. The whole idea here isn't to display as an iPad would but to simply use the screen to it's advantage. E-Book readers would be fine even if a reflow was required for example. Frankly I think the experience would be better than the iPad. In effect this would be the bigger Touch and just as handy.

Dave

synth3tik
Apr 8, 2010, 02:44 PM
OMG WOW!

I beat it's going to be called the iPod Touch!

wizard
Apr 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
Unlikely. iPad apps are 1024x768. An iPad mini will have to use the same resolution, which would make icons absurdly small. Rolling out separate apps just for iPad mini is overkill as well.

It is all about a device designed to be as large as possible and still fit pockets. This means an HD sized or wider device. If the unit is done right 2X Touch apps would work just fine. Besides Apple has been telling developers for years now not to assume anyone screen resolution. An odd resolution won't be a problem for app developers that actually listen.

Besides you don't think IPhone resolution will remain the same forever do you? There is a very good possibility that iPhone resolution will change with the next rev anyways. You are excited over nothing.

Dave

finchna
Apr 8, 2010, 02:59 PM
I think it's excellent and the form factor they should have used in the first place. something like a real 16*9 for horizontal movies and turn it for reading and interacting with pages of text. thumbable keyboard in portrait and touch typing horizontal == makes SO much sense. sign me up!

bludodge
Apr 8, 2010, 03:00 PM
Good luck, hope it works with wifi

troller
Apr 8, 2010, 03:04 PM
maybe the domain rippedoffbyanapple.com is still free?

wizard
Apr 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
and is this one going to have a different resolution too?

Sure! What do you want any ways, big blocky pixels.

How many different resolutions is Apple going to make developers support?

Developers are forced to do nothing. It is up to the developer to support the device.

Besides Apple has been telling developers for years now that the have to write their apps to support other resolutions. If developers aren't listening then screw them! That may sound rough but really I find it amazing that so many developers try to spit into the wind with respect to Touch device development.

I don't see this happening.

Not only do I see it happening ultimately I think it will be very successful. The two ingredients are that the screen be HD ratio or wider and the device remains pocketable. Also assuming big pockets here. Such a device would quickly out sell iPad.

Dave

goobot
Apr 8, 2010, 03:14 PM
isnt that almost the same size as the iphone?

rstansby
Apr 8, 2010, 03:26 PM
Touch computing is growing in popularity, and the variety of touch devices is growing as well. I would not be surprised at all if Apple makes this rumored device. I don't think I would buy it, just like I wouldn't buy an iPod Shuffle or a powermac, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a market for it. Choice is good.

wizard
Apr 8, 2010, 03:28 PM
How about getting this little "Tiger" cooking properly first ?

IPad is the ironing board for the new tech.

This iPad has far too many holes to be filled before we go off making a baby brother or sister. There are only so many developers and engineers around and it would be better to sort out this first beta version before we go off making new "toys" .

What I found most interesting is that iPad won't support 4.0 until fall. There is a good chance that means an enhanced iPad in the fall with more RAM. Why else wouldn't iPad support 4.0? I just find this statement strange considering all the development that has been going on with iPad.

Now where shall we start ....lets get iWorks for iPad doing a proper job etc...:rolleyes:

Laugh if you want but if Apple gets this new device right it will easily outsell iPad. In essence it could replace many devices yet be in the size range of a paperback book. That will sell. Especially to business people that carry Day Timers and the like around.

Dave

lifeinhd
Apr 8, 2010, 03:41 PM
IPad is the ironing board for the new tech.

Literally, hehe.

Laugh if you want but if Apple gets this new device right it will easily outsell iPad. In essence it could replace many devices yet be in the size range of a paperback book. That will sell. Especially to business people that carry Day Timers and the like around.

If it fits in a pocket, it could be the perfect big-screened version of the iPod touch. I know I'd let it replace mine when I upgrade.

Journojulz
Apr 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
If it fits in a pocket, it could be the perfect big-screened version of the iPod touch. I know I'd let it replace mine when I upgrade.

Aye - there are few things as perfectly "handy" as a paperback.

If it has phone capabilities i will get a bluetooth headset and will replace my iphone

Staggered by the number of people who are confusing "don't want it" with "stupid idea".

puffnstuff
Apr 8, 2010, 04:23 PM
i wouldnt mind a larger touch but still pocketable

ten-oak-druid
Apr 8, 2010, 04:24 PM
As I said before, I think its possible the ipad was conceived in two sizes to match the kindle. It is primarily touted as an ebook reader and kindle would be its competitor.

It's possible the original plan was to have two sizes of ipad to compete with kindle but that doesn't mean they kept that plan in place. Perhaps they scrapped plans for the smaller one?

ProstheticHead
Apr 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
Smaller iPad? So what the Hell is the iPod Touch? ;)

wankey
Apr 8, 2010, 05:30 PM
This is probably the dumbest thing to hear. Smaller iPad = iPod touch. They'll never blur the gap there. When has Apple ever done that? Heck their laptop line is differentiated by MATERIAL lol.

dbassett
Apr 8, 2010, 08:00 PM
How about a larger one???

Journojulz
Apr 9, 2010, 02:26 AM
They'll never blur the gap there. When has Apple ever done that?

er.....

http://images.apple.com/ipod/home/images/ipod_compare20090909.jpg

Once again: just because something doesn't appeal to you - doesn't make it stupid. Think of the bigger picture - who are your customers, what are they buying?

The iPhone is a perfect form of pocket portability
The iPad is the classic student rucksack notepad

In between there is a massive gap in a small difference.

Look in a bookshop - what is the most common size of book?

Look at people reading books in public - what is the most common size of book?

Is it a size that balances readability with pocket portability?

Pick up a dvd case for a moment and imagine.....

iSamurai
Apr 9, 2010, 04:42 AM
or you mean it's the bigger ipod touch.

Journojulz
Apr 9, 2010, 06:33 AM
Egad, Mr Pugin! :eek:

What kind of numbscullery is this tower design that you have submitted for Big Ben?

'Tis naught but an engorged grandfather clock! Feh!

bertman
Apr 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
Rather than a "miniPad" I'm more interested in a larger version. I'll wait for the "maxiPad."

WLS
Apr 9, 2010, 02:18 PM
or you mean it's the bigger ipod touch.

It could be. The new Touch is due in September and will tend to follow the new iphone in basic features such as cpu, memory and screen size.

Predictions are of limited use but I expect something interesting. A 7 inch screen on a iPad mini would do it for me. The point to look at is ease of carrying it around and not in a rucksack or man bag. The current iPad is fine on a plane, train, bus or car and in your home on the couch or in bed but for walking around and having it unobtrusively with you not so much.
I've been saying for a while a smaller iPad is needed but the haters just bark and flame.

Journojulz
Apr 9, 2010, 05:18 PM
I've been saying for a while a smaller iPad is needed but the haters just bark and flame.

I was considering an ipad - but its the new iphone for me this year, and after that i will be waiting for a dvd-case sized iPad mini.

MacAgnostic
Apr 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
While I'm really doubting the next iPhone will get a 960x640 display, it would be an excellent choice for a 7-inch device with the same DPI as the iPhone.
Here's my mock-up of what it might look like.

lifeinhd
Apr 16, 2010, 02:53 PM
While I'm really doubting the next iPhone will get a 960x640 display, it would be an excellent choice for a 7-inch device with the same DPI as the iPhone.
Here's my mock-up of what it might look like.

I'm not convinced a device that small needs that bezel. Look at the Archos 7, for instance-- the only area you see a huge bezel is at the longer ends, where it'd be difficult to hold in one hand without touching the screen otherwise.

Journojulz
Apr 16, 2010, 04:37 PM
Interesting take.

You would really need to hold it to see what felt right

like the potential of the portrait revoluton.
Tried it at work but dull monitors have tiny vericlal viewing angle

MacAgnostic
Apr 16, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'm not convinced a device that small needs that bezel. Look at the Archos 7, for instance-- the only area you see a huge bezel is at the longer ends, where it'd be difficult to hold in one hand without touching the screen otherwise.
Why just the longer end? You might want to hold it like this.

lifeinhd
Apr 16, 2010, 09:04 PM
Why just the longer end? You might want to hold it like this.

I would think a 7" display would be thin enough for you to grip like an iPod touch in portrait mode.

Journojulz
Apr 17, 2010, 02:12 AM
I would imagine the key factor in the minipad design would be making fit in a suit jacket pocket - any bigger and the business market would be missed out

Pick up a dvd / ps2 game case.

That is about as big as a standard pocket can take and can fit a 7 inch screen with a small border all round

I can hold it in my hand by the edges, but not by all 4 fingers, and i'm a 5-10 bloke.

Anyone with smaller hands would feel nervous about holding a £300 piece of kit with just fingertips.

Not sure what apple will do, but sure it will be a good solution.

MacAgnostic
Apr 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
I would think a 7" display would be thin enough for you to grip like an iPod touch in portrait mode.
Something like this then. Maybe; many found the bezel on the iPad unexpected, so I wouldn't bet on either way.

lifeinhd
Apr 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Something like this then. Maybe; many found the bezel on the iPad unexpected, so I wouldn't bet on either way.

Yeah, something like that. If Apple made it, and it fit in my pocket, I'd replace my Touch with it in an instant.

tpr007
May 9, 2011, 12:16 PM
Would make sense to me.

Its the size of the ultimate portable media medium - the paperback.

iPhone is nice, but just too small to spend more than an hour typing on
iPad is nice, but just too big to put it in pocket or hold in one hand while wandering about.

We all have different priorities - just because YOU don't want it doesn't it stupid.

Agreed.

I had an iPad for 9 months but just sold it due to lack of use. It's just not portable enough. I have a MacBookPro for sitting on the sofa with, which is the only place the iPad was getting used. It was too big to take to work.

As a result, I got a (thankfully cheap) Galaxy Tab 7" but would snap up a 7-8" Apple tablet in an instant.