PDA

View Full Version : Apple Lists iPhone OS 4 Compatibility, Excludes Original iPhone and 1st Gen iPod Touch

MacRumors
Apr 8, 2010, 04:29 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/08/apple-lists-iphone-os-4-compatibility-excludes-original-iphone-and-1st-gen-ipod-touch/)

Apple has posted a preview page (http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/) covering the various iPhone 4 announcements today. Notably, they list device compatibility for the iPhone 4 OS:
iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).The original iPhone and 1st Generation iPod touch are excluded from iPhone OS 4 compatibility, while the 3G and 2nd Generation iPod Touch exclude multitasking abilities. Customers will have to have an iPhone 3GS, 3rd Generation iPod Touch, or iPad to access the full feature set including multitasking.

iPhone OS 4 is due this summer. To gauge how many of our readers will be able to take advantage of the new OS, we've created this simple poll asking the latest iPhone or iPod Touch hardware you own. Note that we've purposefully excluded the iPad in the interest of simplicity:

Poll: Apple Lists iPhone OS 4 Compatibility, Excludes Original iPhone and 1st Gen iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/08/apple-lists-iphone-os-4-compatibility-excludes-original-iphone-and-1st-gen-ipod-touch/)

diamond.g
Apr 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
I guess it is time to move on for those (wife included) iPhone 2G users. :(

ouimetnick
Apr 8, 2010, 04:34 PM
Not a big deal... But the 3G can run fine multitasking, and so can the 2nd generation iPod touch. It must be jailbroken though

pdpardue
Apr 8, 2010, 04:35 PM

yeah, no love for my 2g iphone

~paul
http://www.paulparduephotography.com/index.php

ob81
Apr 8, 2010, 04:37 PM
3gs here. Jobs did say that the older versions were not capable of running multitasking, but in the same breath, they kept video off the iPhone when we saw it work quite well on the 3g iPhone (jailbreak).

This will undoubtedly force many to upgrade to the new iPhone.

J B
Apr 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
Will there be a new iphone model coming out with the OS 4?
if not, when will it be expecting an upgrade?

Andronicus
Apr 8, 2010, 04:39 PM
Will there be a new iphone model coming out with the OS 4?
if not, when will it be expecting an upgrade?

Yes, in July.

enberg
Apr 8, 2010, 04:40 PM
Not a big deal... But the 3G can run fine multitasking, and so can the 2nd generation iPod touch. It must be jailbroken though
If by fine you mean "works, but it's really laggy".

Robert M.
This makes sense, a new iPhone is coming out this summer so of course they're leaving the 3G out. Next year when they release 5.0 it'll leave the 3GS out! Haha they want 3G users to upgrade... :rolleyes:

And really if you have a 3G this will probably be a worth while upgrade. I'm sticking with my 3GS but next year when it's not compatible with 5.0, I'll upgrade it!

Edit:Leaving the 3G out of multitasking...

usasalazar
And I have another year left on my 3G contract.:(

--- but what I really wanted was a tablet that runs the full OSX -- On Verizon! This Tuesday!:p

Reed Rothchild
Apr 8, 2010, 04:41 PM
OS 4 seems quite progressive for Apple. Looks like they've been learning a lot from the jailbroken iPhones out there. One day they may even catch up :cool:.

atticus27
Apr 8, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'm planning on upgraded from my 3g in the summer when the next iphone comes out. It should run multitasking fine this is just apple trying to get users to upgrade.

Silv3rF0x
Apr 8, 2010, 04:43 PM
I guess it is time to upgrade from the first Iphone to a 3GS or wait in June see if there going to have a new Phone and upgrade then.

Cookie Jar
Apr 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
Kinda works in nicely.

I have a 3G, skipped the 3GS and always intended to upgrade at the next update, so hopefully I'll wait and see what new handset we get this summer and I'll upgrade then and get 4.0.

normwood
Apr 8, 2010, 04:45 PM
I guess it is time to upgrade from the first Iphone to a 3GS or wait in June see if there going to have a new Phone and upgrade then.

Waiting a few more months really makes sense. With how great this update is....a new phone could add even more cool features.

Steve

puffnstuff
unless 4.0 was able to magically add a camera to the 2g and 3g touch I could care less. Still holding on to my 1G.

buckeye88
speaking of the new iPhone model...

Someone in an earlier forum mentioned that the iPhone on the screen at the keynote looked longer than the 3G S. So I went back and looked. It kinda does. Looks like more space between the phone speaker and the screen and top of phone. I also noticed the dock at the bottom was different (although this could just be the 4.0 OS). Anyone else notice this? Could this be a "hint" as to what's to come, like so many people wanted?

ouimetnick
Apr 8, 2010, 04:46 PM

Suprisingly, when my touch was jailbroken, and multitalked, it wasn't that much slower. It was slower a bit, but not a slow as my Original iPhone (non jailbroken, and at the latest 3.0.1 release)

jupp0r
As there is no technical reason why the 2G iPhone isn't supported (same hardware as the 3G except for the cellular parts), for me it's just another scam (as MMS support for the 3G, which could just be enabled on 2G via the jailbreak).

Don't get me wrong, at some point they have to stop supporting old hardware, but it's bad to lie to your customers and state technical reasons when you just want to maximize your profits.

JPark
Kinda works in nicely.

I have a 3G, skipped the 3GS and always intended to upgrade at the next update, so hopefully I'll wait and see what new handset we get this summer and I'll upgrade then and get 4.0.

That's exactly my plan as well. I had always planned to skip a generation and sell my 3G to fund my new phone.

dwd3885
Apr 8, 2010, 04:47 PM
This sucks. I got my wife the iPod Touch 8gb which is the NEWEST MODEL, yet it is considered 2nd gen and won't run multitasking?!? If the device can't handle multitasking, then the 4.0 update better be cheaper than $9.99. Otherwise it's not even worth it.

smileyborg
Apr 8, 2010, 04:48 PM
This poll sucks, it lets you vote as many times as you want and counts them all :/

Did Diebold code this one?

German
Apr 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
The original iPhone and 1st Generation iPod touch are excluded from iPhone OS 4 compatibility
(Probably) no technical reason for that!

iPhone 2G = iPhone 3G -> Same SoC!

Original & 3G: Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM 1176JZ(F)-S v1.0 620 MHz underclocked to 412 MHz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

diamond.g
This makes sense, a new iPhone is coming out this summer so of course they're leaving the 3G out. Next year when they release 5.0 it'll leave the 3GS out! Haha they want 3G users to upgrade... :rolleyes:

And really if you have a 3G this will probably be a worth while upgrade. I'm sticking with my 3GS but next year when it's not compatible with 5.0, I'll upgrade it!

Um 3G's get 4.0 2G's do not. Next year 3G will not get 5.0 but 3GS will.

Consultant
Due to the growth, most people have the 3gs.

For those who bought the 3g when 3gs is available, that's their problem.

2007 iPhone has been supported for 2+ years.

Mobile contract are typically 2 years, so upgrade doesn't carry a penalty.

ucfgrad93
Apr 8, 2010, 04:50 PM
Can't say that I'm surprised that the original iPhone is not going to get the upgrade.

Ed91
Apr 8, 2010, 04:51 PM
Come summer my 3G will be 18 months old, which is by far the longest I've managed to own a phone without breaking it. While multitasking will only benefit me on rare occasions, I was planing to upgrade to the new version anyway, and I can't wait.

I told my friends who have recently signed up to contracts with a 3G that they were crazy beforehand, but they went ahead with it anyway. Now when they inevitably complain about the lack of multitasking, I'll laugh and show them my lovely new phone.

Does that make me evil? Probably.

breatheasy
Apr 8, 2010, 04:53 PM
9 votes not sure....reeeealy??

trunkster
Apr 8, 2010, 04:56 PM
When firmware 2.0 came out, I accidentally flashed my original iPhone with the 3G version of the firmware (it came out before iTunes registered that an upgrade was available). It worked completely fine so I'm curious if 4.0 will work on the original iPhone as well. The hardware is the same between the original and 3G besides the 3G modem. I was thinking about upgrading to the new iPhone that will come out this year though anyway..

Robert M.
Apr 8, 2010, 04:56 PM

I consider the multitasking the best feature and 3G isn't getting it. That's what I meant :o

Rootus
Apr 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
For those who bought the 3g when 3gs is available, that's their problem Pretty much. The release of 4.0 does not remove any features that the first gen or 3G iPhones had. So everyone who bought one will continue to have exactly what they purchased. Whining unnecessary.

Stella
Apr 8, 2010, 04:59 PM
It sucks for original iPhone owners, they don't have 3G capability so having Ad enabled apps would be slow over Edge..

I'd question Apple's decision to exclude 'multitasking' for 2G devices, and probably original iPhone.

I can understand the frustration, but this probably Apple's method to 'encourage' the owners of those devices to upgrade.

OS 4 seems quite progressive for Apple. Looks like they've been learning a lot from the jailbroken iPhones out there. One day they may even catch up :cool:.

Jail break developers will always be ahead of Apple, IMO and Apple will take inspiration from these Apps and role them into the next firmware.

ghall
I still have the original iPhone and I'm pretty upset. I can't very well afford an upgrade right now, so I guess I'm stuck with a phone thats perfectly capable of running most, if not all, the features of this update. :confused:

Aldaris
Well for me iPhone 3G but 64GB Touch... so a catch on either side...:confused:

milhouse994
Apr 8, 2010, 05:00 PM
I don't see a major problem with this update not being available for the 3G or older. Apple will certainly be bringing out a new and improved iPhone this summer and those who bought a 3G early on will be eligable for upgrades around that time too. New OS or no new OS, I would still be buying a new iPhone anyway to take advatage of any new hardware additions (as well as all those added on the 3GS), not to mention the increased memory. Would be nice to have more than 16GB!

alaki
Apr 8, 2010, 05:00 PM
I have a question guys...
Is multitasking worth it? I mean it will drain the battery much faster.
I rarely use 3G connection or even gaming on my iPhone as it drains very fast.
I think it is more meaningful for iPod touch and iPad, as they are not our major device to connect to people.

davidbrummy
Apr 8, 2010, 05:01 PM
That's exactly my plan as well. I had always planned to skip a generation and sell my 3G to fund my new phone.

Did you skip it or are you still under contract? The decision to skip is a lot easier when it is going to cost you extra $$ to upgrade.

thewireman
I still have the EDGE iPhone and ready to upgrade the new iPhone HD in June/July. No worries for me.

Aldaris
Looks like the majority of users will be able to take advantage of the new OS to some degree...

Here's hoping for the 4G(eneration) iPhone:cool:

charlituna
yeah, no love for my 2g iphone

is that really to be expected. it's very typical for new software to only be backwards one step in hardware whether it's a mobile device or a computer.

i myself am not bothered. I'm about to ditch my old 2g iphone for a dumb phone and an ipad. i'll keep the phone to use as a touch for being a controller for things like the new Scrabble and as an ipod at the gym

i suspect a fair number of folks that really wanted the whole multitasking and such have no issue with upgrading their 2g iphone since they get that it might not have enough kick to work well if at all anyway. and after at least 2 years, the batteries got to be close to bunk. Come summer they can get a shiny new multitasking phone with several times the storage, much better camera and so on

knewsom
Apr 8, 2010, 05:02 PM
Seriously looking forward to this AND to the new iPhone upgrade this summer... the wife will be getting my 3GS, and I'll have to figure out what to do with the 3G.

*crosses fingers* New iPhone, please be aluminum like the iPad!!! :D

splashnader
Apr 8, 2010, 05:05 PM
I am a iPhone 3G owner. I am not worried about the lack of multitasking as I will most likely upgrade to the new iPhone whenever it comes out.

donlphi
Apr 8, 2010, 05:06 PM
Sort of reminds me of when a friend of mine bought the color iPod 3 months before the video iPod came out... Oh well. 3G users will have finished their contracts (for the most part). If not, they probably bought it for $99 when the 3GS came out anyway. There was a reason the price went down. :rolleyes:

Dagless
Apr 8, 2010, 05:07 PM
I guess I won't be called to update my mums iPod. Or worse still I'll be called and have to explain that they're not supporting her MP3 player from now on.
Surprised that they won't be offering the same OS but with some features stripped out, like what they're doing for the 3G iPhone. Ho hum I guess!

CIA
Apr 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
MY ORIGINAL iPHONE ISN'T SUPPORTED!!???? RABBLE RABBLE APPLE SUCKS!!

No. I've used the original iPhone for nearly 3 years now, I've gotten more use out of it then every cell I had ever before it combined. I'm not surprised that the OG phone is getting the axe, we all knew it would happen one of these days. I mean, I did pay $600 for it on launch, but I've gotten my moneys worth out of it for sure. Sucks for 3G, but most should be out of contract by this summer, unless you were cheap and got the $99 model. Original iPhones have terrible battery life these days anyway, so most users were probably going to upgrade this summer to the new one. Besides, after playing with my girlfriends 3GS my original iPhone sure feels slow....

-Edit, I love that according the Macrumors forums I'm a newbie (under my handle, to the left of the post), yet I joined nearly 7 years ago.....

compuguy1088
Apr 8, 2010, 05:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

It sucks for original iPhone owners, they don't have 3G capability so having Ad enabled apps would be slow over Edge..

I'd question Apple's decision to exclude 'multitasking' for 2G devices, and probably original iPhone.

I can understand the frustration, but this probably Apple's method to 'encourage' the owners of those devices to upgrade.

Jail break developers will always be ahead of Apple, IMO and Apple will take inspiration from these Apps and role them into the next firmware.

Actually if you read the post, the first gen iPhone will not get the 4.0 upgrade

MacPhilosopher
Apr 8, 2010, 05:14 PM

I have essentially funded my next iPhone hardware purchase by sticking with my 1st gen so that I didn't have to pay AT&T an extra $20 a month for data upgrades for 3G. I'm getting every penny out of my original iPhone not just because I am frugal (kidding), but because Apple did a pretty good job putting it together and has up until now not made it obsolete. Some of the features in OS 4.0 along with the already improved hardware are taking it to that point. A significant hardware upgrade this summer will complete the cycle. I'll be happy to upgrade then.

Jopari
Apr 8, 2010, 05:15 PM
If you think that this is frustrating, try being a current gen Droid Eris owner running Android 1.5 knowing that Android 2.1 for Eris has been completed by HTC/Google and is sitting at Verizon for months now.

It is one thing for old hardware to not get updates, but try shelling out your cash six months ago and having to wait on Verizon's whims on getting me an OTA update.

You guys would riot if AT&T every did anything close to this. I like my Eris, but this is really frustrating.

Seems like Droid fanboys gloss over a lot of the shortcomings of Android and many iPhoners think that the grass is greener on the other side. I wish I could have bought a $99 Verizon iPhone instead. At least I would have a workable media player. I have been reminded by my Eris of the pre-iTunes hell that existed before iPods.

Its a great phone, great with social media, some good widgets and much better than any b-berry. How it does media and the app marketplace completely suck and I think will hinder any Droid tablet. The best selling Droid has a keyboard! iPad sold more in the first hour than Nexus 1 has total. Most Droiders are like me running sub 2.0. I wish I knew of this Droid many of you speak of.

DesignerOnMac
Apr 8, 2010, 05:17 PM
MY ORIGINAL iPHONE ISN'T SUPPORTED!!???? RABBLE RABBLE APPLE SUCKS!!

No. I've used the original iPhone for nearly 3 years now, I've gotten more use out of it then every cell I had ever before it combined. I'm not surprised that the OG phone is getting the axe, we all knew it would happen one of these days. I mean, I did pay $600 for it on launch, but I've gotten my moneys worth out of it for sure. Sucks for 3G, but most should be out of contract by this summer, unless you were cheap and got the $99 model. Original iPhones have terrible battery life these days anyway, so most users were probably going to upgrade this summer to the new one. Besides, after playing with my girlfriends 3GS my original iPhone sure feels slow....

-Edit, I love that according the Macrumors forums I'm a newbie (under my handle, to the left of the post), yet I joined nearly 7 years ago.....

Maybe MR still considers you a newbie with only 26 posts in 7 years!?

Lailoken
Apr 8, 2010, 05:19 PM

According to Apple's iPhone announcement page however; multitasking will only work on the 3GS and upward.

http://developer.apple.com/technologies/iphone/whats-new.html#compatibility

yiyopr
Apr 8, 2010, 05:20 PM
The 18 people who voted that they didn't know what iphone they owned utterly failed... I have a new tip for you! Check the back of the phone... :confused:

instaxgirl
Apr 8, 2010, 05:25 PM

I sometimes wonder if I'm lucky with my 2G iPhone or if I'm just more easy going. Kirikae isn't laggy for me, but then again I don't leave stuff running in the background permanently.

I background things like a bus tracker app while I'm on twitter at the bus stop or last.fm while I'm running with a pedometer app in the foreground etc etc Basically, I don't multitask for more than half an hour at a time.

FWIW I bought a 3GS and returned it because I was severely disappointed in the "speed increase" everyone reports. I didn't see it outside of loading big game apps, which I rarely play.

As there is no technical reason why the 2G iPhone isn't supported (same hardware as the 3G except for the cellular parts), for me it's just another scam (as MMS support for the 3G, which could just be enabled on 2G via the jailbreak).

Don't get me wrong, at some point they have to stop supporting old hardware, but it's bad to lie to your customers and state technical reasons when you just want to maximize your profits.

+1

I wasn't expecting the 2G to get the upgrade and I'm not bothered since I've had most of the functionality through jailbreak for yonks but I wish they wouldn't come out with all the "hardware can't support it" *****. Not just from the "mine is jailbroken and can" POV but because the 3G has the same internals :rolleyes:

Due to the growth, most people have the 3gs.

For those who bought the 3g when 3gs is available, that's their problem.

Maybe on this forum, but the majority of people I know have the 3G. It's such an expensive phone, even on contract, that many people choose the cheaper model. Hell, I only have the problem with them choosing the cheaper model because (in the UK at least) Apple didn't have the decency to ever lower the price from its introduction.

9 votes not sure....reeeealy??

Haha, it's up to 18 now :)

I still have the original iPhone and I'm pretty upset. I can't very well afford an upgrade right now, so I guess I'm stuck with a phone thats perfectly capable of running most, if not all, the features of this update. :confused:

Jailbreak.

I have a mms sending, multitasking, video recording, in app smsing iPhone. I don't notice lag, but then again I don't install a lot of the jailbreak UI rubbish people do (did once, noticed horrible lag, never again)

The one thing that's giving me trepidation is how long it'll be before I see the "you must have 4.0 to install this app" message. Then again, I have all the apps I need by now and still barely touch half of them these days.

CIA
Apr 8, 2010, 05:25 PM
The 18 people who voted that they didn't know what iphone they owned utterly failed... I have a new tip for you! Check the back of the phone... :confused:

Might be people with the Touch, they are hard to tell apart if you don't follow Apple much, or if it was a gift....

Tee1970
Apr 8, 2010, 05:27 PM
Anyone else out there think that the new iPhone 4.0 with 3G wireless might come out with a month to month service plan for data like the iPad instead of a 2-year contract? Maybe with all VOIP instead of a separate charge for voice/data?

That would kill the incentive to use Skype on the new iPhone model for most customers, which might be why Apple and AT&T will allow it. Simplify the billing to a straight amount per month without so many tiered options.

Allow AT&T to shift more of the burden of calls to WIFI when available. Maybe blow people away by including WIFI roaming where AT&T shares mobile hotspots with other carriers to even further reduce burden of new devices.

"iPad is a mostly WIFI device", could be that the iPhone could be a big WIFI device too with the next release!

Tee

Fast Shadow
Apr 8, 2010, 05:27 PM
Based on the results of the MR survey I'm surprised at how few people out there are still using the original iPhone.

kerryn
Apr 8, 2010, 05:29 PM
I have what is claimed to be an IPod Touch 3G but it is the 8GB model that I was of the impression was basically a repackaged 2G. Can someone verify if the 8GB iPod Touch 3G will work with iPhone 4.0 software?

EDIT: I can answer my own question as I just found the compatibility site. The multitasking is only on the 32 and 64GB versions of the iPod Touch 3G, not the 8B version that we have... Still its compatible with some of the other enhancements :)

kerryn
Apr 8, 2010, 05:39 PM
Might be people with the Touch, they are hard to tell apart if you don't follow Apple much, or if it was a gift....

I voted unsure even though I know exactly what I have. Its sold as an iPod Touch 8GB 3G, though it is not really a 3G version but rather a repackaged 2G. That option was not clear in the option list - do I select iPod Touch 2G (which it is not) or iPod Touch 3G - which it also is not because its not the 32 or 64GB version. Hence unsure.

So we're not all idiots. The option selection did not allow us to clearly state what we had :)

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 05:40 PM
APPLE< if you cannot provide the feature for the phone which is still under contract then unlock all the older phones...

Greed is the word and more of late, APPLE =GREED :rolleyes:

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 05:43 PM
Steve Jobs: No multitasking for 3G, you know you can get incentive to upgrade the iPhone

Customers: Please go ahead and find new customers sir ;)

phlavor
Apr 8, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have the OG model. But I saw this coming. I would have upgraded last year but I was holding out for Verizon and a speed bump wasn't going to make me re-up my contract with AT&T.

dennis123123
Apr 8, 2010, 05:46 PM
I look forward to having this on my 3rd gen Touch :)

Also noticed a fan page worth joining: http://www.facebook.com/pages/iPhone-OS-4/107004932669805

BigTroll
Apr 8, 2010, 05:49 PM
oh well lets hope for the hacks to come out so i can run it on my 2g anyways, iam still running 2.2.1 anyways. apple could have even charged an upgrade fee for 2g users but they didn't even do that.

shanmugam
Looks like 1st Generation Iphone not even able to upgrade to 4.0

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

MattWylde
Has anyone else noticed that the iPad is not listed as a device that supports multi-tasking? Apple's page specifically says:

"For example, multitasking is available ONLY with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

wordoflife
Apr 8, 2010, 05:51 PM
What the heck Apple?

I can't put 4.0 on my iPod Touch first gen now?

I don't care if I can't use any of the features, I just want to be able to download and update apps. Hopefully I can still do that on 3.0.

OllyW
Apr 8, 2010, 05:54 PM

It doesn't tell you which model it is on the back of the iPhone, just the size. Check yours! :p

Looks like 1st Generation Iphone not even able to upgrade to 4.0

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

Have a look at the title of this thread. :D

Krizoitz
Apr 8, 2010, 05:56 PM
APPLE< if you cannot provide the feature for the phone which is still under contract then unlock all the older phones...

Greed is the word and more of late, APPLE =GREED :rolleyes:

Um no, just no. Why should Apple spend the time, money and resources to support a phone that they haven't made for what, almost two years now? If you are pissed about being locked to ATT take that up with ATT.

Meanwhile, um, does your iPhone still work? Does it still do everything you were promised it would when you bought it? Heck, if you have the 2G you got MORE than what was originally promised. Apple isn't bricking your existing phone, theya ren't taking anything away from you. They aren't forcing you to upgrade and pay for it. Heck all iPhone users who are capable of the upgrade get it FOR FREE (soooo greedy).

You people need to get over yourself and this attitude of entitlement. If you don't like what you bought then don't buy another phone, or sell the one you have. It's that simple.

instaxgirl
Apr 8, 2010, 05:57 PM
Based on the results of the MR survey I'm surprised at how few people out there are still using the original iPhone.

I'm guessing there's a couple of factors there:

1. People on this forum upgrade like crazy
2. People held out for 3G
3. Wasn't available in as many countries, although the vast majority of users on this forum are US based I believe.
4. The 2G was very expensive, even in iPhone terms. More expense, and less functionality meant way less people bought one

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 05:59 PM
It doesn't tell you which model it is on the back of the iPhone, just the size. Check yours! :p

Have a look at the title of this thread. :D

Sorry over looked it, screw the early iphone owners

MattWylde
Apr 8, 2010, 06:00 PM
Um no, just no. Why should Apple spend the time, money and resources to support a phone that they haven't made for what, almost two years now? If you are pissed about being locked to ATT take that up with ATT.

Meanwhile, um, does your iPhone still work? Does it still do everything you were promised it would when you bought it? Heck, if you have the 2G you got MORE than what was originally promised. Apple isn't bricking your existing phone, theya ren't taking anything away from you. They aren't forcing you to upgrade and pay for it. Heck all iPhone users who are capable of the upgrade get it FOR FREE (soooo greedy).

You people need to get over yourself and this attitude of entitlement. If you don't like what you bought then don't buy another phone, or sell the one you have. It's that simple.

What about all of the apps that will no doubt require the 4.0 OS? Are all of those old iPhone owners supposed to just abandon their investment into the app store? It's not that simple dude. Apple is screwing all of their consumers.

Lershac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ya think AT&T will get off their asses an enable tethering? Its the only thing that keeps me on my blackberry.

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 06:01 PM

oh really, then explain me why iPhone3G is in the contract?

iPhone OS is FREE? really? where went the contract money? 24 X30$???

Lershac
What about all of the apps that will no doubt require the 4.0 OS? Are all of those old iPhone owners supposed to just abandon their investment into the app store? It's not that simple dude. Apple is screwing all of their consumers.

Uhm, the apps they have work fine right? How is this not-updating going to destroy them?

skyehill
I just enjoy watching the Mac fanboys fall all over themselves attempting to make this crappy news appear good. Good on ya!

BigTroll
Apr 8, 2010, 06:02 PM

totally agree, while it is old hardware its still an opportunity for apple to sell more apps and keep people from going somewhere else.

Lershac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:03 PM

uh, into AT&Ts pockets? Not apple.

MattWylde
Apr 8, 2010, 06:03 PM
Uhm, the apps they have work fine right? How is this not-updating going to destroy them?

Apps that require access to a 3rd party server may become dead. I know Simplify Media is already shutting down soon, but that would be a perfect example. People who don't update their app can't access the server, thus losing functionality of the app. That is how it destroys them.

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 06:04 PM
uh, into AT&Ts pockets? Not apple.

last i heard, for every phone ATT sells apple gets some $$$, are you aware or pretends like do not know?

forty2j
Apr 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
Anyone with a 3G or less that isn't upgrade eligible yet (or won't be by summer) isn't terribly concerned with having the newest features on the newest gizmo anyway.

.. It's rather like owning an original fruit-colored iMac and complaining you can't run Snow Leopard on it.

Me, I was planning to trade in my 3G for a 4 this summer anyway, without even know what they were putting on it..

jouster
Apr 8, 2010, 06:11 PM
i myself am not bothered. I'm about to ditch my old 2g iphone for a dumb phone and an ipad.

Yeah, I thought I might do this too. Then again, my 2G iPhone works fine, and is month to month by now, so I guess theres little point, other than saving some money, in getting a dumb phone.

From Apple's site: "For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

So no multi-tasking for the iPad?

Edit: MattWylde asked, but no one answered.

Padriac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:12 PM
This poll sorely needs a "I have a non 3GS iPhone, but will be getting whatever new iPhone gets released this year" option.

I, for example, have a 3G but I'm not upset about the announcement because by the time 4.0 comes out I'll be getting a new phone anyway.

Lyra
Apr 8, 2010, 06:16 PM
Pft...

Apple Killing the support and life of the iPod Touch first Gen is pretty bad... but like most people who got them when they first got out, same goes for the iPhone OG, got more than their money's worth. It has been and still is one of my favorite gadgets of all time. I love my iPod Touch, I'm sad to see Apple killing support and it's progress after only 3 OS updates (first one doesn't count).

This doesn't really bother me, the iAd kind of does... but then, there are other things about Apple that bothers me lately.

For anyone who's been with Apple since 1990 and maybe even earlier, will know what I am talking about... Apple has changed drastically from what we used to love.

We still love them, but sometimes you question why.

Anyway, too bad about the short lived iPod Touch...

R.I.P...
iPod Touch 1st Gen.
:apple:

sonictonic
Apr 8, 2010, 06:18 PM
It amazes me how some people want a free ride forever... :rolleyes:

I for one am glad Apple is moving ahead. It's been 3 years people. I do not know of any other tech company that would have provided you with the amount of free updates and new features as Apple has. So get over it.

Melodic
Apr 8, 2010, 06:19 PM
Well this sucks I have a 2G iPhone and a 1st Gen iPod touch :(

cpfay
It's not that I need multitasking, but why does my poor 2g iPhone have to miss out on multiple exchange accounts (yes I have them...), a unified inbox, and most importantly a free copy of Winnie the Pooh!

brygruver
last i heard, for every phone ATT sells apple gets some $$$, are you aware or pretends like do not know?

You're about 2 years behind.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/09/atandts-iphone-3g-data-plan-and-no-longer-revenue-sharing/

Jeff321
Apr 8, 2010, 06:20 PM
For people like me who got the iPhone 3G when it came out, we're eligible for an upgrade this summer and will get the new iPhone this summer (assuming there will be one).

ucfgrad93
Apr 8, 2010, 06:21 PM

I for one am glad Apple is moving ahead. It's been 3 years people. I do not know of any other tech company that would have provided you with the amount of free updates and new features as Apple has. So get over it.

Agreed. There is no way a 3 year old Windows Mobile or Android phone would get an OS upgrade.

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 06:21 PM

Yes Sir, iPhone was free, Data plan was free and Apple loyalty was also free

How much was the iPod Touch software upgrade costs? asking for $$$ is one thing and excluding the 1st G iPhones altogether is another thing ...

Lyra
Apr 8, 2010, 06:24 PM
Quick question...

The heck is this under our names???!!!???

macrumors 68040
macrumors 6205
macrumors 6205a
etc?

What we are not cool enough to be a member? We're just a number?

;p

brygruver
Apr 8, 2010, 06:26 PM

How much was the iPod Touch software upgrade costs? asking for $$$ is one thing and excluding the 1st G iPhones altogether is another thing ...

Let me guess, you also b*tched when snow leopard wouldn't run on your G5?

jouster
Apr 8, 2010, 06:27 PM

:confused: Well, they won't be abandoning their investment if their existing apps still work, which they will.

It's worth pointing out, I think, how different it is from a few years ago, when phone upgrades were basically unheard of. I'm an Original iPhone owner, and I have to say that over three years of support seems pretty decent to me.

OllyW
Apr 8, 2010, 06:33 PM
Quick question...

The heck is this under our names???!!!???

macrumors 68040
macrumors 6205
macrumors 6205a
etc?

What we are not cool enough to be a member? We're just a number?

;p

It's linked to your post count.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ#How_do_user_titles_work.3F

Lershac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:35 PM

Yes, you see, apple sells AT&T the phone for a price, AT&T pays that price to them, then sells the phone to YOU at a discounted price, making up the difference in the contract you sign with them.

Where in there is apple obligated to keep updating a 3 year old phone to work like a new one?

yeah like every other phone manufacturer does... oh wait, they dont. The minute they release a new model they stop development for the old one.

zacman
Apr 8, 2010, 06:36 PM
As of today there are 50 million iphones. As we have learned earlier around 8 million 3GS have been sold in 2009. So there are probably around 12 million 3GS out now.

So basically 38 million iPhone users don't have a 3GS, the vast majority has a 3G. These won't get the full 4.0 experience.

It'll be interesting to see how many of them will keep their 3G, switch to a 3GS or newer iPhone and how many will switch platforms.

IMHO many of them will get a dumb phone and an iPad. This might be critical in terms of iPhone sales for Apple.

Lershac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:41 PM
Apps that require access to a 3rd party server may become dead. I know Simplify Media is already shutting down soon, but that would be a perfect example. People who don't update their app can't access the server, thus losing functionality of the app. That is how it destroys them.

Apple is not in any way responsible for that third party app developer discontinuing support for their app. That would be like bitching at Apple for Microsoft Office on the Mac not supporting syncing memos from an exchange server. Doh!

Lershac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
As of today there are 50 million iphones. As we have learned earlier around 8 million 3GS have been sold in 2009. So there are probably around 12 million 3GS out now.

So basically 38 million iPhone users don't have a 3GS, the vast majority has a 3G. These won't get the full 4.0 experience.

It'll be interesting to see how many of them will keep their 3G, switch to a 3GS or newer iPhone and how many will switch platforms.

IMHO many of them will get a dumb phone and an iPad. This might be critical in terms of iPhone sales for Apple.

I doubt they really care. iphone or ipad, its a sale.

But I foresee alot of iphone 3g models being handed down to kids as adults upgrade.

Lershac
Apr 8, 2010, 06:47 PM

They are not doing it arbitrarily. Their position is that the iPhone 1G will not support the level of user experience (speed, performance etc) necessary for their standards to be met.

Additionally, it costs money for the company to keep porting it back to the original hardware. Where does this money come from? Apple no longer gets a monthly revenue cut from the iphone 1g.

Lyra
Apr 8, 2010, 06:48 PM
It's linked to your post count.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ#How_do_user_titles_work.3F

Thanks for enlightening me ;)

Clearly I'm still a stupid newbie. ;)

JAQ
Apr 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
I pretty much expected that I would never get true 3rd-party multitasking on my iPhone Gen1, so I'm not really disappointed that I won't be able to upgrade to iPOS4 and get that feature. But it would be ever so nice if Apple would make the features that really aren't dependent on the hardware - like the unified inbox, the app groups - available for ye olde iPhone. The unified inbox in particular isn't an OS feature; it's an app feature that could easily be ported to run on iPhone OS 3.x.

nitzer71
Apr 8, 2010, 06:51 PM
:) I think I will keep my lovely 1st Generation iPhone. Why should I change? I'm just giving some calls, sending some sms, using Skype sometimes in wifi at home and use some apps like the english-french translator and some games. I paid that iPhone $300, so why should I pay now twice or three times more for a new iPhone with the basic usage I have of my :apple:phone?

kwikdeth
Apr 8, 2010, 06:56 PM

How long was Windows XP supported with free updates and service packs?
yeah, thought so. but then again, who has heard of that obscure company microsoft anyway...

anybody with an ounce of knowledge of working within the iphone's guts knows that this is just the same old marketing BS from Apple to get more of your money. Kind of like how the original iPhone's hardware was supposedly incapable of sending and receiving MMS messages... um folks cracked through it and it works perfectly well. Just like jailbreakers have had multitasking for a while now... on iphone 3g whose hardware is, according to Jobs, "incapable of supporting it"...
its just more marketing lies.
personally, i dont mind, as im due for a new phone anyway, but i think people have justification for being pissed off about it, especially as the 3G is still being sold by Apple & AT&T. what if you just bought you iphone 3g last month? wouldnt you be angry that your brand new phone is now being slowly crippled?

BigTroll
Apr 8, 2010, 06:58 PM
They are not doing it arbitrarily. Their position is that the iPhone 1G will not support the level of user experience (speed, performance etc) necessary for their standards to be met.

Additionally, it costs money for the company to keep porting it back to the original hardware. Where does this money come from? Apple no longer gets a monthly revenue cut from the iphone 1g.

Bottom line iPhone 3G and original iPhone both have the same ram, cpu running at the same speed and same graphics, only difference is it has 3G so how would it hurt my user experience if both units are on wifi as i don't even have a data plan, however i think people would gladly pay apple to have 4.0 on there 2g regardless of multitasking as i would like to have the ability to run any new 4.0 only apps, as of now having 2.2.1 i have trouble finding apps on the app store that will work with it, and soon this will be the norm for people running 3.0. so yes it might cost apple a bit more to make 4.0 compatible but why not when the basic hardware is almost identical, i watched a rerun of the office last night and they say it cost ten times more to sign a new customer then to keep an existing one.

Posted from a iBook G3 600 OSX 10.3.9!

Friscohoya
Apr 8, 2010, 07:01 PM
Bye bye original iphone...

eye
Apr 8, 2010, 07:01 PM
I bought the first iPhone the week it came out and I still rock it. I'll continue to rock it until it stops working. Nothing short a a phone that makes donuts would make me get rid of my outdated and underpriced Original iPhone contract. Unless, of course, the next phone is on another carrier. Then, I'll buy. I'd like to give AT&T as little money as possible.

No ice please
Apr 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
Seriously apple this is pure bull! Pardon my french but nothing is more wrong then giving half of your users iphone 3G and ipod touch 2g??(according to the poll) The iPhone 3G is still on the shelves and I find it absolutely redundant that we have to pay a huge bill on a crud network for half the features. On a side note most of us would be happy with at least a 4 application limit! :confused:

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 07:17 PM
Let me guess, you also b*tched when snow leopard wouldn't run on your G5?

i think PowerPC and Intel are different architecture. There is a reason behind that.

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 07:19 PM

+1

shanmugam
Apr 8, 2010, 07:22 PM
You're about 2 years behind.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/09/atandts-iphone-3g-data-plan-and-no-longer-revenue-sharing/

Thanks for correcting me.

Okay, let me ask this, what was the last date iPhone 1st generation sold?

and when was the last update for the software?

How many years Apple supported the first iPhone?

sonictonic
Apr 8, 2010, 07:31 PM
yeah, thought so. but then again, who has heard of that obscure company microsoft anyway...

anybody with an ounce of knowledge of working within the iphone's guts knows that this is just the same old marketing BS from Apple to get more of your money. Kind of like how the original iPhone's hardware was supposedly incapable of sending and receiving MMS messages... um folks cracked through it and it works perfectly well. Just like jailbreakers have had multitasking for a while now... on iphone 3g whose hardware is, according to Jobs, "incapable of supporting it"...
its just more marketing lies.
personally, i dont mind, as im due for a new phone anyway, but i think people have justification for being pissed off about it, especially as the 3G is still being sold by Apple & AT&T. what if you just bought you iphone 3g last month? wouldnt you be angry that your brand new phone is now being slowly crippled?

First of all, to my knowledge all those service packs for XP are mostly, if not entirely, bug fixes and security patches, NOT new features. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

And as far as the poor person who just bought the 3G? It's a year+ old device. Do your homework is what I say. If I was about to spend a significant amount of money on a year+ old device and platform, I would do my research first so there would be no surprise that next month when a new version comes out. It's called being a smart consumer.

Jopari
Apr 8, 2010, 07:33 PM
Buyer Be Ware on Android phones....Your dependent on Cell providers to do an Over the Air Update to do you software upgrades. They don't have to do one.

When a new version of Google Android comes out, first HTC, Moto or whoever has to recustomize it for their phone, at that point, they give that to the cell phone carrier. At that point, they get it ready to update over their network when they feel like it (they don't have to do it at all).

Again, I know it sucks for 3G, but I bought a brand new, just came out Eris and I have yet to get upgraded off of 1.5. I have no illusion that if I ever get 2.1 that it will probably be my last upgrade. I suspect that I get 2.1 after Eris is no longer sold in Verizon stores. What good does it do Verizon to sell the HTC Eris for what is now $50 or less beside the HTC Incredible and/or Nexus 1 for $150+ with the same OS?

As a droider why is also a mac fanboy, you should be aware of the pitfalls of droids are.

ucfgrad93
Apr 8, 2010, 07:41 PM

That is a desktop operating system not a phone. A better comparison would be how long do Windows Mobile phones get OS updates.

mosx
Apr 8, 2010, 07:41 PM
I'm not surprised Apple isn't bring iPhone OS 4.0 to the original iPhone and iPod touch. It is extremely disappointing, especially since I own both. There is no technical reason they couldn't have brought it over. The only true difference between the original iPhone/iPod touch and iPhone 3G is the 3G radio in the iPhone 3G. Everything else is exactly the same.

Those of us with perfectly working first generation devices don't need feature updates. But it would be nice to have SECURITY updates. Both my iPhone and iPod touch still hold a full charge after all these years. Yes, I still get the same battery life with both devices that I did when I first bought them. I take care of my things.

And I really don't think its right for Apple to stop supporting security updates. I don't want the day to come where someone finds a Safari or other type of exploit that can kill my iPhone or iPod touch and Apple's only answer is "get a new device". I could understand if the devices were at 5 years old or more. But there are still plenty of iPhones and original iPod touch units out there that are LESS than two years old at this point.

Apple was actually selling refurbed original iPod touches on their site in just the last few weeks.

Theres a couple of other things to point out too. One could argue theres no reason the original iPhone and iPod touch can't receive the same update as the iPhone 3G and 2G iPod touch, since they're all the same, with the 2G iPod touch running 133MHz faster.

And anyone who has ever jailbroken an iPhone or iPod touch can tell you that the original and second generation units of both devices are perfectly capable of multi-tasking.

Much the same way the original iPhone is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS, despite Apple claiming the "radio" couldn't do it, even though MMS is part of the GPRS standard and anyone with an iPhone on AT&T Is well aware of the fact that the iPhone is GPRS compliant.

The most disappointing news today is that the 4.0 update won't be available for the iPad until Fall. Whats up with that?

brygruver
Apr 8, 2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for correcting me.

Okay, let me ask this, what was the last date iPhone 1st generation sold?

and when was the last update for the software?

How many years Apple supported the first iPhone?

The 1st Gen iPhone was in short supply for a few months before the release of the 3G. The 3G went on sale July 11, 2008, effectively ending the sale of the original.

Unless I'm brain dead, the original iPhone can run iPhone OS 3.1.3 which we can assume will continue to receive security patches like Leopard did after the release of Snow Leopard.

Considering it will run the "current" software, I think you can consider it still supported. Otherwise until your Apple Care ran out.

pubwvj
Apr 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
This survey fails to take into account cases where people have multiple units. I have two iPods Touches 2nd Gen. I'll bet quite a few people have more than one unit. You've got two hands after all...

brygruver
Apr 8, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not surprised Apple isn't bring iPhone OS 4.0 to the original iPhone and iPod touch. It is extremely disappointing, especially since I own both. There is no technical reason they couldn't have brought it over. The only true difference between the original iPhone/iPod touch and iPhone 3G is the 3G radio in the iPhone 3G. Everything else is exactly the same.

Those of us with perfectly working first generation devices don't need feature updates. But it would be nice to have SECURITY updates. Both my iPhone and iPod touch still hold a full charge after all these years. Yes, I still get the same battery life with both devices that I did when I first bought them. I take care of my things.

And I really don't think its right for Apple to stop supporting security updates. I don't want the day to come where someone finds a Safari or other type of exploit that can kill my iPhone or iPod touch and Apple's only answer is "get a new device". I could understand if the devices were at 5 years old or more. But there are still plenty of iPhones and original iPod touch units out there that are LESS than two years old at this point.

Apple was actually selling refurbed original iPod touches on their site in just the last few weeks.

Theres a couple of other things to point out too. One could argue theres no reason the original iPhone and iPod touch can't receive the same update as the iPhone 3G and 2G iPod touch, since they're all the same, with the 2G iPod touch running 133MHz faster.

And anyone who has ever jailbroken an iPhone or iPod touch can tell you that the original and second generation units of both devices are perfectly capable of multi-tasking.

Much the same way the original iPhone is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS, despite Apple claiming the "radio" couldn't do it, even though MMS is part of the GPRS standard and anyone with an iPhone on AT&T Is well aware of the fact that the iPhone is GPRS compliant.

The most disappointing news today is that the 4.0 update won't be available for the iPad until Fall. Whats up with that?

No one ever said they would stop producing security updates for 3.0.

The still release security updates for Leopard.

DavidLeblond
Apr 8, 2010, 07:54 PM
This survey fails to take into account cases where people have multiple units. I have two iPods Touches 2nd Gen. I'll bet quite a few people have more than one unit. You've got two hands after all...

From the survey:

What is the Latest Version of iPhone or iPod Touch You Own?

brygruver
Apr 8, 2010, 07:56 PM

They still release security updates for Leopard.

firewood
Apr 8, 2010, 07:58 PM
i think PowerPC and Intel are different architecture.

The 3G and 3GS also have different architectures. armv6 ISA with VFP versus armv7 ISA with NEON (and non-pipelined VFP). There could also be differences in the MMU security model that make it difficult to multi-task securely (people with jbroken units don't care as much about broken security...).

AidenShaw
Apr 8, 2010, 07:59 PM
First of all, to my knowledge all those service packs for XP are mostly, if not entirely, bug fixes and security patches, NOT new features. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_packs for a list of new features introduced in XP service packs.

Windows Firewall was added in SP2, SP1 added USB 2.0 support and IPv6, SP3 adds

Turns black hole router detection on by default[56]
Network Access Protection client
Group Policy support for IEEE 802.1X authentication for wired network adapters.[57]
Credentials Security Service Provider[58]
Descriptive Security options in Group Policy/Local Security Policy user interface
An updated version of the Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider Module (RSAENH) that is FIPS 140-2 certified (SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512 algorithms)[56]
Installing without requiring a product key during setup for retail and OEM versions
Windows Imaging Component[59]
IPSec Simple Policy Update for simplified creation and maintenance of IPSec filters[60]
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.5
MSXML 6.0 SP2 and XMLLite
Microsoft Management Console 3.0
Credential Roaming service (Digital Identity Management Service) update
Remote Desktop Protocol 6.1
Peer Name Resolution Protocol 2.1
Network Diagnostics update
WPA2 Update (KB893357)
Windows Script 5.7
Windows Installer 3.1 v2

Service packs have also added forward compatibility features, so that older systems could co-exist with newer systems (for example, when a newer system enhances NTFS, a service pack might update older systems to make them able to understand any disk structure changes - essential if you dual-boot a system with the old and new OS).

I can't think of cases where Windows Update has added features, but it's common for a service pack to enhance components as well as wrap up all the updates (like a "combo updater").

brygruver
Apr 8, 2010, 07:59 PM
The 3G and 3GS also have different architectures. armv6 ISA with VFP versus armv7 ISA with NEON (and non-pipelined VFP). There could also be differences in the MMU security model that make it difficult to multi-task securely (people with jbroken units don't care as much about broken security...).

VERY Good Point.

brygruver
Apr 8, 2010, 08:04 PM
I love how this turned from 4.0 not supporting the oldest hardware to OH GOD APPLE IS ABANDONING ME!!!!

Apple made no announcements about not shipping any more 3.x security updates. Of course they will fix major bugs found in 3.x. Just like they did with Tiger when Leopard was released and how the do with Leopard now that Snow Leopard is out.

Takuta-Nui
Apr 8, 2010, 08:09 PM
What's all this talk about 2G? I don't believe there ever was. Just the original iPhone, then 3G, then 3GS. There's a reason the OS is on 3 right now, right? Since there have been 3 models so far.

Anyhoo, no blaming a company for moving on from support of its older technology. Like Steve said, if it is an incentive for owners to upgrade, then great! Or get a Nexus One. =P (Not bashing!)

Rocketman
Apr 8, 2010, 08:14 PM
About half of deployed devices are compatible with 4.0 fully plus iPads. Not bad considering the sheer number of new features newer hardware enables. I wonder how much a used iPhone or 3G goes for these days. They used to be very expensive 2nd hand especially the EDGE iPhone which lacks location services. Some people really appreciate that "feature". It cannot secretly and remotely be turned on by a classified back door.

Rocketman

Freis968
Apr 8, 2010, 08:16 PM
Time to upgrade my original iPhone...:)

theBB
Apr 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Windows Firewall was added in SP2, SP1 added USB 2.0 support and IPv6, SP3 adds
Many people may consider adding a firewall to Windows a bug fix. :) SP3 "features" are quite obscure. Besides, did XP SP3 come out after Windows 7? (OS4 vs. OS1 analogy)

In any case, cell phones hardly ever got OS updates with many new significant features before iPhone. Even now it is not all that commonplace. I doubt any WinMo phone from 2007 or 2008 will be upgradeable to WinMo7. Even many 2010 models are not upgradeable. Desire to criticize Apple at every turn is an odd obsession for many people. (I don't mean you Aiden, the last sentence is a general statement.)

Still, I am surprised that 2G will not get OS4 at all. I thought it would run some limited feature version. I guess they really don't want to spend any resources on testing it any more.

Mr. Gates
Apr 8, 2010, 08:44 PM
What's all this talk about 2G? I don't believe there ever was. Just the original iPhone, then 3G, then 3GS. There's a reason the OS is on 3 right now, right? Since there have been 3 models so far.

Anyhoo, no blaming a company for moving on from support of its older technology. Like Steve said, if it is an incentive for owners to upgrade, then great! Or get a Nexus One. =P (Not bashing!)

2G stands for second generation

Confusing ain't it

deputy_doofy
Apr 8, 2010, 09:03 PM
I know this is anecdotal at best but, while I love my iPhone 3G, I'd hardly refer to it as "snappy." Giving this thing multitasking would probably suck (not battery life), but what little speed it has left.

The 3G is a nice phone, but the 3GS definitely feels faster, without any lag. This summer, iPhone 4 is mine! :D

3N16MA
Apr 8, 2010, 09:12 PM
It might finally be time to upgrade from my 2G iPhone. I hope the new iPhone features some big upgrades in terms of hardware and is not just a small spec bump on the 3GS. However multitasking, iBooks, and folders is not really a big deal for me on the iPhone. I'm much more excited to see them on the iPad.

rjflyn
Apr 8, 2010, 09:14 PM
Like someone mentioned not the best poll, someone responding could be responsible for multiple options. My case 2- 3G phones, and a 1G touch and a 2G touch.

akadmon
Apr 8, 2010, 09:16 PM
What's all this talk about 2G? I don't believe there ever was.

2G = 2nd Gen (i.e., 3G).

Duh!

Yaboze
Apr 8, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have a 3G (July 2008) and skipped the 3GS last year. My 2 year ATT contract is up in July 2010. Will I be able to get a new Iphone HD for a new contract prices or will I have to pay $700 for it? lol

I concur with others.....the 3G feels sluggish, now wonder it won't support multitasking.

TallManNY
Apr 8, 2010, 10:00 PM
I can't imagine any real need to multi-task on my iTouch 2G. So while I'm going to like the upgrade (I suppose) I won't feel cheated that I can't multi-task. By this summer I will probably have an iPad anyway. So I doubt I will be using the touch that often anyway.
Great update Apple. I think we are going to see the iPhone once again put some distance between it and the other smart phones.

mosx
Apr 8, 2010, 10:06 PM

They still release security updates for Leopard.

That they do. But they, so far, have provided only one update to an iPhone OS when it wasn't current. So history tells us that 3.x updates stop for iPhone and iPod touch as soon as 4 is released.

Also, if Apple wants people like me to upgrade to new iPhones then they need to offer it on multiple carriers. No way will I ever sign another contract with AT&T

Craiglorocks
Apr 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
If you think that this is frustrating, try being a current gen Droid Eris owner running Android 1.5 knowing that Android 2.1 for Eris has been completed by HTC/Google and is sitting at Verizon for months now.

It is one thing for old hardware to not get updates, but try shelling out your cash six months ago and having to wait on Verizon's whims on getting me an OTA update.

You guys would riot if AT&T every did anything close to this. I like my Eris, but this is really frustrating.

Seems like Droid fanboys gloss over a lot of the shortcomings of Android and many iPhoners think that the grass is greener on the other side. I wish I could have bought a $99 Verizon iPhone instead. At least I would have a workable media player. I have been reminded by my Eris of the pre-iTunes hell that existed before iPods.

Its a great phone, great with social media, some good widgets and much better than any b-berry. How it does media and the app marketplace completely suck and I think will hinder any Droid tablet. The best selling Droid has a keyboard! iPad sold more in the first hour than Nexus 1 has total. Most Droiders are like me running sub 2.0. I wish I knew of this Droid many of you speak of.

My thoughts exactly. Some days I will go into settings just for fun and see if there is a system update. Nope not yet. My Verizon rep told me Q1 2010 for 2.1. HA! I love my Android phone because it is now the closest thing to a mediocre Iphone. Hence my lackluster hopes that Verizon wakes up, gets on their knees, and does as Mr. Jobs says. Android is nice, but when on the web and trying to preform other tacks, I would rather find WiFi and use my Ipod touch or Ipad. The UI is clean and smooth. The controls make sense. Cheers to 4.0.

B. Hunter
Apr 8, 2010, 10:48 PM
I will continue to use my 1st Gen iPod Touch.
Has served me well. I also use a microphone with it to talk on Skype.

Next time around I will probably jump to an iPad. Hopefully by then it will have a camera.

Plasmastrike
Apr 9, 2010, 12:09 AM
Who the **** isn't sure? lol

EDIT: f u c k

cinwick
Apr 9, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have a 3G but until recently had the original iPhone. Thats too bad they're not doing the software updates for it anymore. Its like if you want software fixes or more features they're forcing you to upgrade.

Jimmy James
Apr 9, 2010, 01:05 AM
3G > 3GS

"It's a minor upgrade"

lol

trekkie604
Apr 9, 2010, 01:09 AM
I have a 3G. This is exactly why I didn't buy a 3GS... if the rumors hold, the next gen seems to be way more of a significant upgrade.

JAT
Apr 9, 2010, 01:22 AM
I love how this turned from 4.0 not supporting the oldest hardware to OH GOD APPLE IS ABANDONING ME!!!!

Apple made no announcements about not shipping any more 3.x security updates. Of course they will fix major bugs found in 3.x. Just like they did with Tiger when Leopard was released and how the do with Leopard now that Snow Leopard is out.

You're all jerks and short-sighted fools. Fine, if you don't have a 1G device, go away. Why the ******* do you even come into such a discussion?

For those of us that do, this is a complete abandonment, far worse than I expected at 1pm when details weren't all complete. Security updates? Who cares? There have barely been any since they aren't needed much on these devices.

What happens when the apps start going "4.0 Required", which I fully expect due to the radical changes? Even apps I already own! Where is the capacity in the appstore to deal with multiple versions for multiple hardware configs? There isn't! Compare: the upgrade to Intel necessitated such a cutoff with the computers, but that was an understandable issue that had to be dealt with in the cpu market, and companies can easily keep versions separate in the open market. It sucked for some, but the choice was basically the company or the cpus. This is just crap to do the same thing to the iPhone/iPod for no apparent reason, esp since the inclusion of the 3G phone proves they could easily allow the 1Gs to have 4.0.

I look to be back to JBed by year end, cause I don't see buying a new device this year.

zeemeerman2
Apr 9, 2010, 01:38 AM
This sucks. I got my wife the iPod Touch 8gb which is the NEWEST MODEL, yet it is considered 2nd gen and won't run multitasking?!? If the device can't handle multitasking, then the 4.0 update better be cheaper than $9.99. Otherwise it's not even worth it.

Same problem here, mate.

I got my iPod 8 Touch GB just about Christmas, so it's not that long.
Guess jailbreaking is a solution... :rolleyes:

darijoe
Apr 9, 2010, 04:16 AM
The original iPhone and 1st Generation iPod touch are excluded from iPhone OS 4 compatibility

Ah well. All good things must come to and end. I wondered when my 32 GB 1st generation iPod touch would stop being at least a little awesome. ;) Thanks, Apple, for 2-3 years of near full support for early adopters!

koobcamuk
Apr 9, 2010, 04:27 AM
No custom sounds for SMS or mail
No changes to alerts for missed calls/mails/whatever
Lock screen still sucks

diamond.g
Apr 9, 2010, 05:50 AM
2G = 2nd Gen (i.e., 3G).

Duh!

Actually 2G = original iPhone (or at least it does when I use it). I also like using the model number -> iPhone1,1(2G) versus iPhone1,2(3G) versus iPhone2,1(3GS).

spazzcat
Apr 9, 2010, 06:15 AM
I think a better poll would be, How many 3G users are waiting for the next iPhone. I can upgrade now, but I am waiting for the new one...

goosnarrggh
Apr 9, 2010, 06:58 AM
No, their position is that the iPhone 3G and 2nd generation iPod touch will not support the level of user experience (speed, performance, etc.) necessary for standards of the full OS 4.0 to be met. Therefore, they are releasing a feature-reduced version of OS 4.0 for those devices. It is highly likely that this position is the truth.

They didn't actually express any official position about the original iPhone or the original iPod touch. If they had tried to express such an official position, then they would have been faced with the contradictory situation that the difference between the user experience (speed, performance, etc) on the original iPhone and the original iPod touch versus the iPhone 3G, would have been virtually undetectable.

This.

And also, the fact that Apple's interpretation of generally accepted accounting principles leads them to the conclusion that they must "pay for" future feature enhancements to products that have already been delivered to the customer.

They use a trick of accounting to hold back some of the money from the initial sale of the device. They gradually put this held back money on the books over the course of several years, to account for the new features that are being added through software updates.

The held back money from the original iPhones has all dried up, so there is no more money left to "pay for" new features in the original iPhones. So, if they wanted to continue releasing new features for the original iPhone, they would have had to charge the customers directly to purchase the upgrade. That would create a schism in the market, where some iPhone customers get the OS for free, but others have to pay for it. Many original iPhone owners would probably feel even more indignant about having to pay for the upgrade even though other iPhone owners didn't, and wouldn't bother buying the upgrade at all. So Apple wouldn't be able to stand to recover the costs they incurred in engineering the upgrade in the first place. It's easier and less damaging to their image to simply not release the OS for the original iPhone at all.

Best of all, if anybody questions the decision, Apple can count on 3rd party apologists to make up unfounded, technological-sounding FUD about the iPhone being fundamentally under-performing, from a computational standpoint, compared to the iPhone 3G.

diamond.g
Apr 9, 2010, 07:09 AM
This.

And also, the fact that Apple's interpretation of generally accepted accounting principles leads them to the conclusion that they must "pay for" future feature enhancements to products that have already been delivered to the customer.

They use a trick of accounting to hold back some of the money from the initial sale of the device. They gradually put this held back money on the books over the course of several years, to account for the new features that are being added through software updates.

The held back money from the original iPhones has all dried up, so there is no more money left to "pay for" new features in the original iPhones. So, if they wanted to continue releasing new features for the original iPhone, they would have had to charge the customers directly to purchase the upgrade. That would create a schism in the market, where some iPhone customers get the OS for free, but others have to pay for it. Many original iPhone owners would probably feel even more indignant about having to pay for the upgrade even though other iPhone owners didn't, and wouldn't bother buying the upgrade at all. So Apple wouldn't be able to stand to recover the costs they incurred in engineering the upgrade in the first place. It's easier and less damaging to their image to simply not release the OS for the original iPhone at all.

Best of all, if anybody questions the decision, Apple can count on 3rd party apologists to make up unfounded, technological-sounding FUD about the iPhone being fundamentally under-performing, from a computational standpoint, compared to the iPhone 3G.

But I don't think that is necessarily true. My wife still uses an iPhone1,1 and I still pay 20 dollars for the data plan. I am fairly certain Apple still gets a cut of that money as that well. That should be the case for all iPhone1,1 owners until they get a new data plan.

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:17 AM

So you think there are no OS X applications that require Leopard?
Same thing.Deal with it.

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:19 AM

I really can't understand what you wrote.What are you trying to say?

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:27 AM
totally agree, while it is old hardware its still an opportunity for apple to sell more apps and keep people from going somewhere else.

Hey you guys are right!Apple should never ever ever upgrade hardware because that means people who bought stuff 5 years ago won't be able to use the new software.
This is no different from the computer world.
How much software requires an intel mac?
Or Leopard?
Time marches on.
And if an app requires OS4 your beef is with the developer,not Apple.They can make it compatible if they want.
You got exactly what you paid for and much more.To expect to have it cutting edge forever is simply insane.

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I thought I might do this too. Then again, my 2G iPhone works fine, and is month to month by now, so I guess theres little point, other than saving some money, in getting a dumb phone.

From Apple's site: "For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

So no multi-tasking for the iPad?

Edit: MattWylde asked, but no one answered.

Probably because the answer is so obvious that it's not worth the time.The iPad has the fastest processor of all these devices,and is the newest.What do you think?

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:32 AM

+1

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:35 AM

What part of"The hardware does not have the power to run it"
do you not get?????

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:39 AM

Since the iPad is pretty huge and OI won't be carrying it with me all the time like a phone,there is no way I would go to a dumb phone.I think no one else will either.

diamond.g
Apr 9, 2010, 08:49 AM
Hey you guys are right!Apple should never ever ever upgrade hardware because that means people who bought stuff 5 years ago won't be able to use the new software.
This is no different from the computer world.
How much software requires an intel mac?
Or Leopard?
Time marches on.
And if an app requires OS4 your beef is with the developer,not Apple.They can make it compatible if they want.
You got exactly what you paid for and much more.To expect to have it cutting edge forever is simply insane.

There is the potential problem of not being able to get older apps once they get upgraded. So it could be possible to actually end up with no apps runnable on your non-OS 4.0 phone at all.

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:52 AM

I haven't seen any indication at security updates will stop,have you?

giosaccone
Apr 9, 2010, 08:55 AM
Fortunately I've got an iPhone 3GS :D:apple:

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 08:58 AM
2G = 2nd Gen (i.e., 3G).

Duh!

Confusingly,some people refer to the first gen as 2G,meaning 2G cell network.

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 09:00 AM
That they do. But they, so far, have provided only one update to an iPhone OS when it wasn't current. So history tells us that 3.x updates stop for iPhone and iPod touch as soon as 4 is released.

Also, if Apple wants people like me to upgrade to new iPhones then they need to offer it on multiple carriers. No way will I ever sign another contract with AT&T

That history is not a good guide,since up to now all devices can run the latest OS version.

E.Lizardo
Apr 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
There is the potential problem of not being able to get older apps once they get upgraded. So it could be possible to actually end up with no apps runnable on your non-OS 4.0 phone at all.

I don't understand what you mean.If you have an app now,why would it stop working?If you are saying that OS3 apps will eventually not be in the app store,sure that's gonna happen someday.But for the near future I expect smart developers to either make their apps 3+4 compatible or simply have different versions,as with iPad apps.
As in
"Fieldrunners OS3"
and "Fieldrunners OS4"
or some such.
It's a little early to try and envision the absolute worst case scenario that might possibly happen and then worry about it.
Besides,if history is a guide,the 3GS will be $99 after the next model comes out!:)

diamond.g
Apr 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
I don't understand what you mean.If you have an app now,why would it stop working?If you are saying that OS3 apps will eventually not be in the app store,sure that's gonna happen someday.But for the near future I expect smart developers to either make their apps 3+4 compatible or simply have different versions,as with iPad apps.
As in
"Fieldrunners OS3"
and "Fieldrunners OS4"
or some such.
It's a little early to try and envision the absolute worst case scenario that might possibly happen and then worry about it.
Besides,if history is a guide,the 3GS will be $99 after the next model comes out!:)
You sorta got what I was wondering about. I wonder if it is a good thing having versions split out like that in the store. Maybe it would be cool for Apple to make it so Apps that don't run on your device version just don't show up in the App store? So if you have version 3 and an app requires version 4 don't show the app.

Basically developers would have to not just update the existing app and strip backwards compatibility.

DraziGuy
Apr 9, 2010, 09:47 AM
A few people have nailed it on the head.

I am a first gen touch owner, and I remember when OS3 came out last year. Within about 2 weeks, the app store for me was dead. Even apps which said they were backwards compatible ended up not being so. I don't know if every developer I tried to buy from was stupid, or if something is broken in the process, but I couldn't buy or install a single app. So even though it added almost no features, I had to pay $9.99 to keep using the app store.

Assuming it all goes the same as before, in a few months time, I won't be able to buy apps anymore. My device still works perfectly, but the store which I have paid for (twice, since I had to buy OS2 as well) will no longer function.

So, I don't mind being left out of OS updates. I don't expect my hardware to be supported forever. That being said, it really bothers me that apps which I can buy today, I won't be able to buy in a few months, since they will have been re-compiled for the new system and will no longer run on mine.

gettysburg11s
Apr 9, 2010, 09:53 AM
I have an iPhone 3GS, so I am excited about all the new possibilities. For those without a 3GS or the latest iPod Touch, you have to understand that the hardware underneath the older devices is kinda different than the new devices. The processor is way less capable. Yes, the 3G runs multitasking with a jailbreak, but it REALLY slows everything down. This is something Apple wants to avoid, which is why they cut the 3G out of the multitasking pie. At some point people just have to upgrade. Its very similar to running Windows 7 on 3 year old computer. It will work, but it will be slow and frustrating (or like running Leopard on an 867 Mhz G4).

Robin4
Apr 9, 2010, 09:58 AM
Geez, major bucks expense for me this year. What to do, what to do.

2g phone, PowerBook G4, and waiting for a 3g iPad.

gettysburg11s
Apr 9, 2010, 10:00 AM
For everyone that is asking if the iPad gets multitasking, the answer is yes, the iPad will get iPhone OS 4.0 in the Fall. They did say this during yesterday's event.

bjeadeh
Apr 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
Looking at the poll, seems there are almost as many 3g users as there are 3gs users. I would love to upgrade to a new 4g iphone with 4.0 software, and it is looking like my AT&T 2 year contract will run out just in time for this new software. Lets go Verizon!

Fraaaa
Apr 9, 2010, 10:27 AM
Considering 3G is going to be two years old this summer then Apple is happy if you will upgrade to the iPhone "HD" or whatever will it be called.

Beside the 3GS is 4x faster than the 3G, and the new iPhone will have the A4 which is 2x faster than the 3GS.

If you upgrade you will have a phone 8x faster and the eventual front facing camera, this is a nice upgrade regardless.

I was thinking to get an iPod Touch this summer, even tho I got my girlfriend's iPhone 3G, but I know the Touch will not have a sim tray for 3G connection and may not have a front facing camera. I want skype!!
So I'm thinking to get a new iPhone(I got to check my finances, I got to buy myself an iPad :P).

Russell L
Apr 9, 2010, 10:38 AM
I've got a 1G iPhone and I already guessed that OS 4.0 wouldn't work on it. I'd been planning to replace it with the 4G iPhone this summer anyway (or whenever Apple introduces it), so I should be OK.

BigMacIain
Apr 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Since OS3 slowed my 3G to a snail's pace, I won't be going near OS 4.

godknows
Apr 9, 2010, 11:43 AM
Who has a three year old device and still getting updates from manufacturers for free?

Ah yes: "Windows defender definition update" and "Windows Genuine Advantage"

sonictonic
Apr 9, 2010, 11:45 AM
Who has a three year old device and still getting updates from manufacturers for free?

LOL exactly.

diamond.g
Apr 9, 2010, 12:07 PM

My 360, PS3, PSP, and Wii still get updates and they are all more then 3 years old. ;)

BigTroll
Apr 9, 2010, 03:37 PM
I have faith that the jail breaking community will have 4.0 running on the 1st gen iPhone since the hardware is almost exactly the same as the iPhone 3G. kudos to them whenever they get it done.;)

mosx
Apr 9, 2010, 06:58 PM
I haven't seen any indication at security updates will stop,have you?

Well, when was the last time Apple did a security update for a non-current iPhone OS? Apple released 1.1.5 for iPod touch after 2.0 was released and that was it.

So theres no reason to believe Apple will continue to support 3.x for any non-iPad device after 4.0 is released.

Eric S.
Apr 9, 2010, 07:01 PM

Yeah, it's a drag that native multitasking will not work on my 2G Touch. And knowing Apple's SOP of late, I'm pretty sure this is for marketing rather than technical reasons.

Vel
Apr 10, 2010, 08:22 AM

Why an earth would anyone get an iPad and a ******* phone...that makes no sense...it's like saying why get the new iPhone I'll just buy a MBA and a crap phone...at the end of the day an iPad won't carried everywhere with someone, and who wants a media player/games console as big as the iPad when your out about...most ridiculous statement every!!!

cwwilson
Apr 10, 2010, 09:24 AM
I don't see a major problem with this update not being available for the 3G or older. Apple will certainly be bringing out a new and improved iPhone this summer and those who bought a 3G early on will be eligable for upgrades around that time too. New OS or no new OS, I would still be buying a new iPhone anyway to take advatage of any new hardware additions (as well as all those added on the 3GS), not to mention the increased memory. Would be nice to have more than 16GB!

Welcome to my world. I'm one of the bunch who got a 3G early only and am eligible for upgrade in...May I think? But when I found out my 3G is getting the half-assed version of the software update, I'm now thinking of getting a 3GS because not only is it a better phone, but I'm also using ALL but 120MB of my 16GB of space so I don't even think I could upgrade my software anyway, I need 32 gigs. Uggggh, I wanted to wait it out for the new iPhone but I don't think I can...And I was saving for an iPad 3G.

Damn you Apple! :@

[DL]
Apr 10, 2010, 09:43 AM
Ha, they want the 3G users to upgrade...

carlgo
Apr 10, 2010, 10:19 AM
The new phone can be used as an induction stovetop!

Oh, no reception, no prepay, no plan for light data users...too bad.

No problem having to update the old 1st Gen with a partly dead screen, but it will have to be something else until the rest of us are served.

Hes Nikke
Apr 10, 2010, 12:42 PM
Three cheers for planned obsolescence!

Hey sheep! Yes you sheep! You better replace that yucky old slow iPhone!

JLUGO35
Apr 10, 2010, 03:48 PM

And as far as the poor person who just bought the 3G? It's a year+ old device. Do your homework is what I say. If I was about to spend a significant amount of money on a year+ old device and platform, I would do my research first so there would be no surprise that next month when a new version comes out. It's called being a smart consumer.

Spare me, I bet if that was your mom or girlfriend getting ******** over you wouldn't feel the same. Ok so what if its a year old, Apple never tells you what specific day it is coming out with hardware. All the speculation about an upgrade could be a rumor. And if the poor person is going to hold up his end of a long term contract, the least Apple and ATT can do is not bs him saying a simple task is not possible. Does anyone know if this will be 9.99 for ipod touch users?

yayitsezekiel
Apr 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
Three cheers for planned obsolescence!

Hey sheep! Yes you sheep! You better replace that yucky old slow iPhone!

hehe :p

Terminal.app
Apr 10, 2010, 04:56 PM
I had a feeling Apple would do this, which is why I decided to go for the 64GB touch just to be safe.

Rocketman
Apr 10, 2010, 05:22 PM
I had a feeling Apple would do this, which is why I decided to go for the 64GB touch just to be safe.

The break point was not memory capacity but hardware revision level. You just wasted money for no reason.

This iPad is "admittedly" the crude V1.0 one. Like iPhone 1G. The first one forsaken. The good news? It took three years!

Apple NEVER looks back. I am just as upset about it as anybody, but the only advise I can offer is, "get over it!"

Rocketman

WTB: an iPad dock with all past Apple plugs and interfaces so we can use old equipment and software. :)

synth3tik
Apr 10, 2010, 05:30 PM
Before the media event I was looking to get a new protective case for my iPhone 3G. Now I'm looking forward to the end of my contract. I have no doubt left in my mind that I'm getting a Droid.

Terminal.app
Apr 11, 2010, 12:42 PM
The break point was not memory capacity but hardware revision level. You just wasted money for no reason.

I meant, as opposed to a used 2G. ;) I was going for the most capacity, and since it's a 64 GB, "third-gen" is implied.

Zer0
Apr 11, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have one question and one question only... Does Jobs feel no shame openly lying in the public like that? Incapable hardware my backside :mad:

I've had multitasking and folders for a while with my original iPhone thanks to jailbreak!! So apple can keep their hands off my pocket for now :rolleyes:

Badandy
Apr 11, 2010, 03:00 PM
I have one question and one question only... Does Jobs feel no shame openly lying in the public like that? Incapable hardware my backside :mad:

I've had multitasking and folders for a while with my original iPhone thanks to jailbreak!! So apple can keep their hands off my pocket for now :rolleyes:

I'm on Jobs' side here. While the hardware is capable of it (many of us have jailbroken our old iPhones), Apple's priority is a consistent user experience. That means smooth operation and very few crashes. Also, of course he wants people to upgrade to new ones. It's a business.

Zer0
Apr 11, 2010, 05:46 PM
I'm on Jobs' side here. While the hardware is capable of it (many of us have jailbroken our old iPhones), Apple's priority is a consistent user experience. That means smooth operation and very few crashes. Also, of course he wants people to upgrade to new ones. It's a business.

I agree its good for business (for apple which I have nothing to do with, but I still agree). But the insult of customer intelligence is just embarrassing.

aibo82
Apr 11, 2010, 06:01 PM

The 3g has slower boot times and I imagine laggy jailbroken to multitask!

The thing is your brought a phone know full well of the features at the time! we are lucky now that the phones get updates with new stuff even though there are most other handsets on the market that dont! and some features we never see till a next version!

The 3g is slow like running windows 7 on a 486! get over it! upgrade if not its is more than capable of what it did when you first brought it as advertised!

I could go out and buy a washing machine tommrow do you expect the manufacture to upgrade it to dry cloths in 8 months? (no you buy a washer dryer first off your choice or not!)

The 3GS was NEVER brought out to multitask so all 3GS users would be moanin if they kept it till the 4G and omittied the 3GS but luckly they brought at the right time and got an added perk! you cant win all ways, tech does age!!

:)

lilo777
Apr 11, 2010, 06:23 PM

Let me explain something to you :) You are not Steve. You do not have to identify with him. You are a customer. You do not care that "he wants people to upgrade to new ones". You care about your rights which seemingly were neglected in this case. All too often Apple users care more about Apple than about themselves. There is something very wrong with that.

aristotle
Apr 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
Let me explain something to you :) You are not Steve. You do not have to identify with him. You are a customer. You do not care that "he wants people to upgrade to new ones". You care about your rights which seemingly were neglected in this case. All too often Apple users care more about Apple than about themselves. There is something very wrong with that.
Give me a fricken break. the iPhone 3G will still get most of the features but not multi-tasking because it has half of the ram of the 3GS. It's really that simple.

Some features like video recording may have been held back from the 3G when 3.x came out for no reason other than product differentiation when the 3GS came out but Apple is not your friend, they are a company out to make money. But having less ram is reasonable justification.

I work as a developer and in the windows world and I see the pain that MSFT's tendency to drag out backwards compatibility has on web developers for example with having to support IE6 even in this day in age. Thankfully, support for IE6 is coming to an end later on this month if MSFT does not release another service pack for XP and that means that companies can start phasing out official support for IE6 and gently nudging even corporate customers to a newer browser. If the browser is no longer patched, financial sites can start displaying messages that IE6 is not recommended any longer.

Zer0
Apr 12, 2010, 03:28 AM
The 3g has slower boot times and I imagine laggy jailbroken to multitask!

The thing is your brought a phone know full well of the features at the time! we are lucky now that the phones get updates with new stuff even though there are most other handsets on the market that dont! and some features we never see till a next version!

The 3g is slow like running windows 7 on a 486! get over it! upgrade if not its is more than capable of what it did when you first brought it as advertised!

I could go out and buy a washing machine tommrow do you expect the manufacture to upgrade it to dry cloths in 8 months? (no you buy a washer dryer first off your choice or not!)

The 3GS was NEVER brought out to multitask so all 3GS users would be moanin if they kept it till the 4G and omittied the 3GS but luckly they brought at the right time and got an added perk! you cant win all ways, tech does age!!

:)

I believe upgradeability was one of the selling points of the iPhone. So yes I did pay for getting new features. I would still accept that Apple is a corporation and they need to think about their profitability, only if they did not come out with all these lies to justify their decision. According to Apple the original iPhone is not capable of A2DP, yet here I’m enjoying full A2DP on mine thanks to jailbreak!

Also do not forget that soon I will be out of apps that I can purchase on app store which will all be screaming for 4.0. If you really want to compare, how about my 5 year old Motorola phone which runs Linux and still supports the latest apps that are released thanks to Java VM?

Anyway I would rather vote with my wallet than letting out steam here. Shame I really like the iPhone tho. And yeah before someone feels smart and retorts with “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out” I will take care of that :)

con500
Apr 12, 2010, 06:01 AM

Brilliant comment....I agree, what is with that? Its quite sad IMO:(

Eric S.
Apr 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
Ah, darn, I just realized my iPod touch is a 1G not a 2G. I wish Apple would announce a Verizon iPhone. I wouldn't want to get a new iPod touch just to have them come out with the iPhone I've been waiting for shortly after.

cjmillsnun
Apr 19, 2010, 12:14 PM

Where did they say there WAS a technical reason the 2G wasn't supported?

cjmillsnun
Apr 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
I consider the multitasking the best feature and 3G isn't getting it. That's what I meant :o

The 3G isn't getting multitasking because it has half the RAM of a 3GS and a slower processor. Unlike last year there is a sound technical reason why they wouldn't want to do it.

cjmillsnun
Apr 19, 2010, 12:23 PM

Bollocks. They have a phone that is over 2 years old. In the mobile phone market, that's obselete. Apple is no different to any other mobil phone manufacturer.