Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted a preview page covering the various iPhone 4 announcements today. Notably, they list device compatibility for the iPhone 4 OS:
iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).
The original iPhone and 1st Generation iPod touch are excluded from iPhone OS 4 compatibility, while the 3G and 2nd Generation iPod Touch exclude multitasking abilities. Customers will have to have an iPhone 3GS, 3rd Generation iPod Touch, or iPad to access the full feature set including multitasking.

iPhone OS 4 is due this summer. To gauge how many of our readers will be able to take advantage of the new OS, we've created this simple poll asking the latest iPhone or iPod Touch hardware you own. Note that we've purposefully excluded the iPad in the interest of simplicity:

Poll: Apple Lists iPhone OS 4 Compatibility, Excludes Original iPhone and 1st Gen iPod Touch

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
3gs here. Jobs did say that the older versions were not capable of running multitasking, but in the same breath, they kept video off the iPhone when we saw it work quite well on the 3g iPhone (jailbreak).

This will undoubtedly force many to upgrade to the new iPhone.

J B

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
Will there be a new iphone model coming out with the OS 4?
if not, when will it be expecting an upgrade?

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
This makes sense, a new iPhone is coming out this summer so of course they're leaving the 3G out. Next year when they release 5.0 it'll leave the 3GS out! Haha they want 3G users to upgrade... :rolleyes:

And really if you have a 3G this will probably be a worth while upgrade. I'm sticking with my 3GS but next year when it's not compatible with 5.0, I'll upgrade it!

Edit:Leaving the 3G out of multitasking...

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Ouch!

And I have another year left on my 3G contract.:(

--- but what I really wanted was a tablet that runs the full OSX -- On Verizon! This Tuesday!:p

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
OS 4 seems quite progressive for Apple. Looks like they've been learning a lot from the jailbroken iPhones out there. One day they may even catch up :cool:.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm planning on upgraded from my 3g in the summer when the next iphone comes out. It should run multitasking fine this is just apple trying to get users to upgrade.

Silv3rF0x

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
Time to upgrade

I guess it is time to upgrade from the first Iphone to a 3GS or wait in June see if there going to have a new Phone and upgrade then.

Cookie Jar

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
United Kingdom
Kinda works in nicely.

I have a 3G, skipped the 3GS and always intended to upgrade at the next update, so hopefully I'll wait and see what new handset we get this summer and I'll upgrade then and get 4.0.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
unless 4.0 was able to magically add a camera to the 2g and 3g touch I could care less. Still holding on to my 1G.

buckeye88

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
speaking of the new iPhone model...

Someone in an earlier forum mentioned that the iPhone on the screen at the keynote looked longer than the 3G S. So I went back and looked. It kinda does. Looks like more space between the phone speaker and the screen and top of phone. I also noticed the dock at the bottom was different (although this could just be the 4.0 OS). Anyone else notice this? Could this be a "hint" as to what's to come, like so many people wanted?

jupp0r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Scam

As there is no technical reason why the 2G iPhone isn't supported (same hardware as the 3G except for the cellular parts), for me it's just another scam (as MMS support for the 3G, which could just be enabled on 2G via the jailbreak).

Don't get me wrong, at some point they have to stop supporting old hardware, but it's bad to lie to your customers and state technical reasons when you just want to maximize your profits.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Kinda works in nicely.

I have a 3G, skipped the 3GS and always intended to upgrade at the next update, so hopefully I'll wait and see what new handset we get this summer and I'll upgrade then and get 4.0.

That's exactly my plan as well. I had always planned to skip a generation and sell my 3G to fund my new phone.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
This sucks. I got my wife the iPod Touch 8gb which is the NEWEST MODEL, yet it is considered 2nd gen and won't run multitasking?!? If the device can't handle multitasking, then the 4.0 update better be cheaper than $9.99. Otherwise it's not even worth it.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
This poll sucks, it lets you vote as many times as you want and counts them all :/

Did Diebold code this one?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
This makes sense, a new iPhone is coming out this summer so of course they're leaving the 3G out. Next year when they release 5.0 it'll leave the 3GS out! Haha they want 3G users to upgrade... :rolleyes:

And really if you have a 3G this will probably be a worth while upgrade. I'm sticking with my 3GS but next year when it's not compatible with 5.0, I'll upgrade it!

Um 3G's get 4.0 2G's do not. Next year 3G will not get 5.0 but 3GS will.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Due to the growth, most people have the 3gs.

For those who bought the 3g when 3gs is available, that's their problem.

Um 3G's get 4.0 2G's do not. Next year 3G will not get 5.0 but 3GS will.

2007 iPhone has been supported for 2+ years.

Mobile contract are typically 2 years, so upgrade doesn't carry a penalty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.