PDA

View Full Version : Mac mini + monoprice dvi/audio-hdmi adapter

jgmacrum
Apr 8, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hi there ...

I just bought a late 2009 mac mini as well as a monoprice dvi+audio to hdmi adapter (the usb kind). I got everything plugged in, was all sorts of excited, turned it on and my tv says "mode not supported" (it is a samsung 50" 720p dlp).

Looking around a bit, it seems that it isn't completely uncommon to have it not work out of the box, but everyone talking about it are using macbooks where they can twiddle the display settings before sending it to the tv, I don't have that luxury here.

Has anyone encountered this and hopefully have some advice?

ReggaeFire
Apr 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
I would first try booting into Safe Mode, this should set the display output to 800x600, which hopefully your TV supports.

If it doesn't then you'll have to do some creative thinking.

If you have another mac in your house you can try this: Plug your Mac Mini into your other Mac via firewire, reboot the other mac holding down the Option key. This will bring up a menu to pick which hard drive to boot from, choose the Mac Mini's drive. This will enable you to set up your account and settings. When you're setting it up, make sure to enable Screen sharing, so that you can get into the mini that way if this happens again. Once you've got everything set up you can shut down the computer and move it back to your TV and it should be good to go.