PDA

View Full Version : Workers strike for right to drink on job

heehee
Apr 9, 2010, 10:44 AM
COPENHAGEN–Scores of Carlsberg workers walked off their jobs in protest Thursday after the Danish brewer tightened laid-back rules on workplace drinking and removed beer coolers from work sites, a company spokesman said.

The warehouse and production workers in Denmark are rebelling against the company's new alcohol policy, which allows them to drink beer only during lunch hours in the canteen.

Previously, they could help themselves to beer throughout the day, from coolers placed around the work sites.

The only restriction was "that you could not be drunk at work. It was up to each and everyone to be responsible," company spokesman Jens Bekke said.

Carlsberg had mulled a stricter drinking policy for years and finally decided to impose the new rules on April 1, prompting protests from the staff.

Bekke said that around 800 workers went on strike Wednesday and another 250 staff walked off their jobs Thursday, resulting in interruptions to beer delivery schedules in and around the Danish capital city.

Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy – even thought they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said.

The truck drivers are permitted to bring three beers from the canteen because they often don't have time to have lunch there.

The trucks have alcohol ignition locks preventing the drivers from driving drunk, he added.

Associated Press
:D

yg17
Apr 9, 2010, 11:00 AM
If the strike gets the company to reinstate the old rules, I'm moving to Denmark and working for Carlsburg.

Consultant
Apr 9, 2010, 11:01 AM
I never knew alcoholics have that kind of resolve. ;p

I found "alcohol ignition locks" really cool.
Maybe they should have a texting ignition locks too?

MattSepeta
Apr 9, 2010, 01:29 PM
I love this.

xlii
Apr 10, 2010, 02:42 PM
If you are going to strike... strike for something meaningful... and if free beer on the job doesn't qualify, then I don't know what does.

dextertangocci
Apr 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
Wow :D

niuniu
Apr 10, 2010, 04:44 PM
Wonder why there hasn't been a move in the motor industry to have all cars fitted with some sort of electronic breathaliser ignition system...

lordjonny
Apr 10, 2010, 05:34 PM
Wonder why there hasn't been a move in the motor industry to have all cars fitted with some sort of electronic breathaliser ignition system...

Although i agree, i can see that it wouldn't take long for people to get someone else to start your car or find a way to start the car bypassing it and then claiming that although youd had a drink the car said it was "ok!" and therefore allowing a superbly unattackable defence in our mighty fine and might i say very just court rooms (UK)! i hope its obvious which bit i was being sarcastic about :D

pukifloyd
Apr 11, 2010, 12:30 AM
after reading this, i really want a job in carlsberg :D

millar876
Apr 11, 2010, 04:19 AM
carlsberg - probably still the best workplace in the world.

juanm
Apr 12, 2010, 05:09 AM
Why isn't this on page 1?

Abstract
Apr 13, 2010, 07:31 AM
Carlsberg's truck drivers joined the strike in sympathy – even thought they are exempt from the new rules, Bekke said.

Good to hear. For a second there, I was worried.

Stella
Apr 13, 2010, 12:34 PM
:D

Love the story!