Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Has anyone used Velan's Fast DVD Copy 2.1 ($99)? Just read about it from MacWorld that it's pretty good to make backup copies of commercial DVDs.

Is this program easy to use? Troublesome? Or is there another program better? Or should I just buy a DVD to DVD recorder?

I would like to get one for my 15" PB.

Thanks

Eevee

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
This is a decent program, however you can do better in just 3 steps.

1. Use MactheRipper to rip the DVD.
2. Use DVD2OneX to convert it to a single side 4.7gb movie/image
3. Use Toast to burn the DVD.

The all in one program is easy, however the compression isn't always the best,, and you can really customize it this way a lot better.... i.e opening up more space by deleting foreign language audio tracks.

If I were you I'd spend my money on something more worthwhile.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I downloaded that program and tried the one-time trial they allow and I was VERY impressed with its ease of use. It is literally a one click solution to copying :ahem: i mean backing up your DVD collection. I want to buy it but $80 is a little rich for this kind of thing.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Do not waste that much money on this program.

1. DVDbackup
- Put DVD in drive, let DVD open up DVD Player and start playing, close
DVD Player, Run DVDbackup, Select folder to backup to, start
2. DVD2OneX
-Run DVD2OneX, select VideoTS file (what you've backed up in
DVDbackup, choose your settings, select folder to send to, start
3. Toast 5 or 6
-Run Toast, select Other then DVD (in 5) or Data then DVD-Rom (in 6),
drag VideoTS folder you've created in DVD2OneX to Toast, Burn

After you've done this once you will be able to do this very quickly. It's a 3 step process. I've tried Fast DVD Copy and it errored quite a bit, and plus you pay $99 which is ridiculous for such a program......and for that price you can only install it on one machine (if you have 2 Macs like my wife and I do it means you can only use a certain machine for backing up DVD's, which is very inconvenient). DVDbackup is free, DVD2OneX is cheap, and Toast is relatively cheap. Plus with Toast you get all of the other burning features it provides. Also, DVD2OneX gives you the option for menus, no menus, size variations, and allows for you to combine multiple movies onto one DVD. You can also watch the VideoTS folders in DVD Player to see if the backup is working prior to burning to DVD, which you cannot do on Fast DVD Copy.

crossed-over

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2002
Indy
I tried both DVD2oneX and Fast DVD Copy, and I liked Fast DVD Copy much much more than DVD2oneX, simply because it is easier, and less time consuming. You put in the DVD, hit copy and let it run. It is well worth the $99. The only drawback I have had is that on the backup copies, the dark scenes aren't as good quality, but not so bad that you can't see what is happening. I recommend this to anyone.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I also do the MactheRipper/DVD2Onex/Toast route...it's not that much hassle once you get down to it but it is fairly time consuming. DVD2OneX isn't cheap but it works well. Looking at the reviews on Macupdate and Versiontracker Fast DVD still needs a lot of work and is very expensive for what sounds like patchy software.

I would go down the cheaper, more reliable route of MactheRipper/DVD2OneX/Toast.

raynegus

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2003
The best way to go is what mulletman said. Toast now supports dual density DVDs, so you can copy with no loss at all (using DVD2oneX). The dual discs are expensive right now, but will drop.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone for the info!

I think I will go with what mulletman said and go with the combo deal. Also, I would like to use the program on my PB and iMac, so Fast DVD would not work (thanks Jovian9!). Plus $99 is not something worth buying if it is a "patchy software." However, doesn't the combine cost of MactheRipper, DVD2OneX, Toast greater than $99?

I agree that Fast DVD is probably easy to use to make backup copies of my DVDs (really, I mean it!). But it is probably best to use the combo.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

Eevee

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
It looks like the recent versions (2.5, 2.6) of Fast DVD Copy have been dissappointing for some users. Check out http://www.versiontracker.com for reviews.

I use Mac the ripper, DVD2ONE X, & toast. I would use Fast DVD Copy but it is not worth $100. DVDshrink for windows does the same thing for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.