Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
aframe.jpg

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/a-frame

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
I like the design

But I don't like the honkin logo

I called Griffin and asked for a no logo option

Answer: No

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Do you have a better idea?

Actually, I have seen a number of these stands and I find all of them attractive. However, I do not see the point in spending $50 - $130 for a stand when I can go to Staples and get a card holder or book stand for $0.99 - $6.95.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
There were a couple of these at the Apple Store yesterday, and I got a chance to feel how rough the edges are, and somewhat sharp. Notwithstanding, the stand is pretty sexy, and would be easily placed in a bag, though the Apple case is multifunctional.

It'd be nice for Otterbox to get off their collective derrières and finally expose what they have, sheesh.

Fanatik7

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
I saw this stand when I was doing research for my stand and found it ugly and didn't get why they have such a big stand below the iPad. What is the purpose for the huge stand? Also the colors they used really don't go with the iPad. The silver is fine buy why the dark grey?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I saw this stand when I was doing research for my stand and found it ugly and didn't get why they have such a big stand below the iPad. What is the purpose for the huge stand? Also the colors they used really don't go with the iPad. The silver is fine buy why the dark grey?
I am considering this stand and the large area below the iPad on the Griffen is precisely why I am considering it!
I like the fact that it leaves a space to slide a keyboard to it and not block the ipad screen or a dinner plate, book etc. However, I'm not so gung ho on the price! Maybe Amazon will have it cheaper later on. I also am consider a stand made by Jadu which I emailed about if the Home button was accesible since it didn't look like it in their pics and they said yes, they are working on it but haven't updated their web site so I'm still looking but definately want a good looking stand.
EDIT: oh also, if I get this one I plan on putting one of my Apple stickers over the Griffen logo.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
im at the apple store just a while ago and saw bunch of these. lol $49

$49? Yikes! It's only a stand.

$30 more gets you the apple keyboard dock. It charges, it's a handy-dandy keyboard, it has audio out and, oh yeah, it's a stand.

Not sure if it blends, though. Sure we'll find out soon enough :)

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA

$30 more gets you the apple keyboard dock. It charges, it's a handy-dandy keyboard, it has audio out and, oh yeah, it's a stand.

Uh, the iPad has a built-in keyboard, it's virtual but it's a keyboard and it gets the job done.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Uh, the iPad has a built-in keyboard, it's virtual but it's a keyboard and it gets the job done.

Agreed - the built-in keyboard is great - especially in landscape.

But I bought the keyboard dock on impulse and it's proving a lot more useful than I thought.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Alchematron said:
I like the design

But I don't like the honkin logo

I called Griffin and asked for a no logo option

Answer: No

I don't see any company offering a one off custom with no logo for any product. Maybe if you ordered 1000s they could do something special. But did you really think that the company which is probably having these massed produced in China is going to offer one with no logo just cause you don't like the logo? You have no idea how business works. If you like the stand buy it. If the logo bugs you that much go to China find a factory who will make you tis stand and order a container full of them. You'll have a lifetime supply without the logo.

hawaiind

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010

Griffin A-Frame stand is 35 plus shipping at MacMall - not in stock currently.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
$35-$50 for a stand with sharp edges and a big-ass logo on it?!

Do. Not. Want.

I am not cheap, but I bought an acrylic plate stand with an adjustable back for $3 at my local craft store and it works like a charm.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I am no longer interested in the Griffen A-Frame.
I emailed then asking about how you can adjust the angle and they said no, you cannot adjust the angle. It's either up ( a-frame mode) or down ( nearly flat position). It's basically two positions as shown by the original post. I want one that you can adjust to different angles depending on where I am sitting, standing lying etc. And the price is too much to that limited viewing angles. I still like the concept, just not the limitations of it.
:(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
To me this is no better than the plate holder idea (for less than $5.00). I don't get why the design is the way that it is. the logo is not that big, it's the white beneath the iPad that seems to serve little to no purpose.

Not a fan of it.

sonofpismo

macrumors regular
May 20, 2002
Orlando, Florida
I got mine today. The aluminum feel is very nice, and the logo looks better in person than in the photos. Some mentioned rough edge, but I have yet to find any. Very sturdy and well-made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.