Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I sync my iPhone and iPad to the same computer. Many of my iPhone apps have ended up on my iPad and I don't want them there.

In iTunes under "apps" I noticed that there are three categories:
- iPhone,iPodtouch and iPad Apps
- iPhone and iPod touch Apps
- iPad apps

Has anybody else had there iPad and iPhone merge applications automatically? I'm sure they are meant to sync as separate devices?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
You can just uncheck the apps you don't want in the Apps tab of your iPad sync window when it is connected.

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
All you have to do is uncheck the box under iPad apps in iTunes and they won't sync onto the iPad. Simple as that.

Edit: he beat me to it. Guess typing on my iPad isn't so fast after all. ;)

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Ok... I can uncheck the apps I don't want. Thanks for the tip, however, I think the devices should be treated separately... different profiles from the beginning.

I hope when I uncheck an app that it does not become unchecked under both devices.

Thanks for the reply!

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
"He"?! I know, I know, even now no one believe there are women on the internet. :)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
1) They are treated separately. However, since iPhone apps run on the iPad iTunes assumes that since you own the app, you want to use the app. Plug in a new iPod Touch and all your iPhone apps will be placed on it also
2) The preferences you select (app selections, calendar sync, photo/video selections, etc.) can be individualized to each device.

If the default was not to sync everything, someone would come on here complaining about having to select all their apps. There is no pleasing everyone, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.