Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cforand1293

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
Working on a friends computer he bought his wife for christmas. He has nothing on it, but the original os. I dont have my disk with me and need to reset his password. I have watched several videos, but the part that gets me caught up is the

1. mount -uw/ (this part works)
2. rm/var/db.AppleSetupDone ( THIS DOES NOT WORK) message says No such file or directory found...

he is running 10.6 any thoughts would be great...

thanks guys

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Did you even read the guy's post? He says he doesn't have the disks!

:mad:

Yep I did. He said....
I dont have my disk with me and need to reset his password.

I assumed that he was able to use the owner's disk. Maybe that's a mistake on my part. Sorry about that.

If this is truly the case (no disks at all ?) then you can try this link: How to reset your Mac OS X password without an installer disc

I want to take a small opportunity to make a statement:
In the years that I've been using this and other discussion groups, I've run across several desperate posts claiming that disks are lost, missing, can't find, unavailable, etc. I just wish that if most of these posts involve copy infringement or other nefarious activities, they would stay away from legitimate forums like this and go deeper underground where they belong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.