Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Ok recently I had youtube playing at 360p at most with a little bit of stuttering but just enough to view the video.

Anyway after I've installed click2flash in Tiger 10.4.11, I have been playing youtube videos by right clicking on the video (where it has been blocked out by the click2flash app with a big word "flash" in the center of the greyed area) and hitting "play fullscreen in quicktime player" and once the quicktime player launches the youtube video (not sure what quality it is playing in but looks damn good) plays buttery smooth!

If any of you guys have an iMac g4 1GHz or higher try this (havnt tried on my 800mhz yet but I'm about to attempt this) and I'm just amazed how flash is so inefficient! It plays so buttery smooth in the quicktime player!!

I've noticed that if you use the click2flash and try to load the h264 (not sure if its trying to load quicktime player on the youtube page replacing flash) but that method plays youtube videos very slow.

Anyone else use this method to play youtube video on their g4 processors? Wow now my g4 can do pretty much everything I want it to do minus 720p/1080p mkv type videos (which I'll be using my mbp for anyways).

Update: I've just tried the above mentioned of loading the youtube video via quicktime player with the 800mhz iMac G4 and works buttery smooth as well!

I'm just amazed that a 6-8 year machine can handle youtube video (playing via quicktime player) perfectly! Wow maybe the G4 processors WERE faster than the intel chipsets back then!! Well with proper software utilization with the G4s. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.