PDA

View Full Version : Sold my MBA and buying Sony Viao Z

bigbadneil
Apr 11, 2010, 07:23 AM
Yep,
I have take the plung and sold my MBA and I am going to buy a new Sony Vaio Z, any comments..................please be nice??
I will give the reasons later:D:D:D

bugout
Apr 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
I can't fault you there.. I bought one of these for a client, and it really is a spectacular machine. Especially the twin 256GB SSD in raid 0 and the carbon fiber.

The full HD version would kill anyone's eyes in about 10 minutes (Full hd on a 13.3 in screen? WTF!) but a core i7, 512GB SSD v(2x256) in a super lightweight package almost had me ready to switch... almost...

gimmi80
Apr 11, 2010, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking about selling my mba for the new gen, if they ever come out. Where did you sell it? Ebay?

Huubster
Apr 11, 2010, 09:04 AM
No, nothing strange about it. I am considering to do the same. If no new MBA before June it's 100% certain that I'll do it. If a new but disappointing MBA will be released I will also move to the Vaio Z.

mmulin
Apr 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
The Vaio Z is a nice computer as long you are fine without Mac OS X. For me this is not the case.

acurafan
Apr 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
one client of mine has deployed these to their upper managers, and i got nothing bad to say about the Z-series. imo, BR movies are awesome on the display.

bigbadneil
Apr 11, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking about selling my mba for the new gen, if they ever come out. Where did you sell it? Ebay?Sold it too a friend at work

daleski75
Apr 11, 2010, 11:59 AM
Just done a search on Vaio Z and found this thread I also sold my MBA 2.13 to get the i5 with 128gb ssd etc and more than happy with it.

I do miss OSX although Windows 7 has taken me by surprise very stable and quick!

I better lay down never thought I would say that about a Micro$oft product :rolleyes:

bigbadneil
Apr 11, 2010, 12:00 PM
Basically I am a "toy man" I love my toys and have a house full of Apple goodies;
1/. 24" iMac
2/. MBP (Sold)
3/. iPhone 3Gs
4/. Nexus One (for sale)
Blaa Blaaa Blaaa
I plan to get the iPad as well as soon as I get back home so no need for the MBP

Anyway the real reason I am getting this Sony is;
1/. My company is taking back my PC laptop so I need a PC in my house as I have alot of programs that need windows to run them on (example Suunto Dive master logbook)
2/. My company has webmail that can only be accessed on a PC computer. I cannot access it using (safari, firefox, google crome) from a Mac but can get it via any of the above using a PC
3/. I like the look of the Sony Z series and they have great reviews, plus I love watching movies and Blue Ray rocks

Huubster
Apr 11, 2010, 12:44 PM
I plan to get the iPad as well as soon as I get back home so no need for the MBP

Decent reasoning except I don't understand the quoted. You are replacing your MBP with an iPad. And you are getting a Vaio Z...

Wouldn't the Vaio Z be replacing the MBP, and the iPad just another (fine) trophy in your gadget collection?

Scottsdale
Apr 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
The Sony Vaio Z is one hell of a computer. It is more powerful than a MBP yet as lightweight as an MBA. Who wouldn't love the power, performance, beauty, and capabilities of the Sony Vaio Z. It has a nice Nvidia card, hybrid graphics, BluRay possibilities, Windows 7, beautiful form factor, up to 8 GB RAM, Core i7 Arrandale CPU, nice LED display, and more.

I don't mind paying much more money for a computer than even the Vaio Z costs. What I want is the exact computer that has every option available to make it into such a great computer as the Vaio Z. It is disappointing that Apple doesn't have more BTO options to make the MBA into a computer that meets the desires of the high-end market capabilities.

Right now the problem is the Sony Vaio Z is thicker than I would like. I would prefer they drop the optical drive and make it thinner. But I like the BluRay capability if I am stuck with an optical drive in the first place.

I really want to run both OS X and Windows 7 on my laptop. I really want it to be lightweight, and I also want it to be thin. I need it to have at least 4 GB of RAM but I really want the option to put 8 GB of RAM in it when I need it. For me, the MBA is the computer I want. I am completely happy with its current form factor. I believe the MBA has more potential than the Vaio Z. I just want Apple to give us the BTO options to make the MBA into the exact computer we want. I hope Apple gives us BTO options back, and I hope the updates to the MBA add huge advantages over the competition like the MBA had in October 2008 when introduced.

I am willing to wait a short while more and see if Apple does update the MBA. If it doesn't I will probably buy a Sony Vaio Z to get me through when Apple releases a new MBA, but my heart is with the MBA. Now if Apple destroys the MBA by only using Intel's GMA IGP for graphics, I will most certainly leave the MBA behind and move on to the Vaio Z. If Apple doesn't give us at least 4 GB of RAM, I will move on to the Vaio Z. However, as a writer, I will be compelled to stick with the MBA as my writing tool.

Bottom line, whenever I buy the Sony Vaio Z it will be due to frustration with Apple not giving the MBA the tools to compete rather than me truly believing the Sony Vaio Z is a better concept/ultraportable than the MBA. I hope I don't have to buy the Vaio Z, but if I do it will depend on how it really does in usage vs. the MBA to see if I truly want to put my MBA in a closet and leave it there forever.

I hope Apple gives the MBA buyer/potential buyer the desire to pick the MBA over all of the other ultraportables, again. Now if I needed a MBP or that level of performance and power from my laptop, I would definitely already be onto the (edit out MBP, I meant Z) SONY VAIO Z. When the MBA was introduced in October 2008, it blew away every competitor in the market... I hope Apple at least tries to compete at that level with the MBA again.

EDIT. I meant if I needed and depended on a level of computer like the MBP, I would have already moved on to the Sony Vaio Z.

bigbadneil
Apr 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
Decent reasoning except I don't understand the quoted. You are replacing your MBP with an iPad. And you are getting a Vaio Z...

Wouldn't the Vaio Z be replacing the MBP, and the iPad just another (fine) trophy in your gadget collection?Correct the Z will replace the MBA the iPad is just another toy:D

TSX
Apr 11, 2010, 02:09 PM
I need a MBA.

gimmi80
Apr 11, 2010, 03:13 PM
I need a MBA.

Do you want to buy mine? it's a 2.13ghz with 128ssd bought JAN 2010

cecoleman
Apr 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
I think its a bad move... look to see how much you get for your Macbook Air after a year two as compared to what that Sony will be worth the day after you take it home. PC's all of them to me are disposable and lose any value within a two days, whereas I've sold used Mac's in the past for 80% their original value up to two years of owning them.

entatlrg
Apr 11, 2010, 09:26 PM
I just ordered a Z to see what all the excitement is ... I'll post a brief review when I've had a good few days working on it.

Synchromesh
Apr 12, 2010, 01:34 AM
I think its a bad move... look to see how much you get for your Macbook Air after a year two as compared to what that Sony will be worth the day after you take it home. PC's all of them to me are disposable and lose any value within a two days, whereas I've sold used Mac's in the past for 80% their original value up to two years of owning them.

That's not entirely true. Thinkpads keep their prices quite well. They won't sell for as much as equivalent Apple down the road but they're cheaper to begin with. There are actually people out there who collect them as well. In fact, I had a pretty rare Japan-only Thinkpad S30 before, basically a precursor of the netbook that was only available on Japanese market. It was PIII-600MHz. Long long story short, I sold it a couple of years ago for $500. Way more than equivalent Apple of the era.

That aside, I don't touch Sony. Every Sony laptop I've been familiar with was built like an inferior piece of junk by people who should be designing trash cans, not computers. They may have become better since then but I still don't want one.

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 09:47 AM
2/. MBP (Sold)

1/. My company is taking back my PC laptop so I need a PC in my house as I have alot of programs that need windows to run them on (example Suunto Dive master logbook)
2/. My company has webmail that can only be accessed on a PC computer. I cannot access it using (safari, firefox, google crome) from a Mac but can get it via any of the above using a PC
3/. I like the look of the Sony Z series and they have great reviews, plus I love watching movies and Blue Ray rocks
I need to run Windows apps, too, but solved my problem in a way that works better for me and was also far cheaper than buying a Sony Vaio Z would have been. I simply upgraded the RAM in my MBP from 2 to 6Gb of RAM. Now, I can run VMware Fusion in Unity mode and Windows 7 from the OS X desktop, just like OS X apps. It has been terrific.

Gaelic2
Apr 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
Yep,
I have take the plung and sold my MBA and I am going to buy a new Sony Vaio Z, any comments..................please be nice??
That's wonderful. Now go on the PC rumors and complain about what you don't like about your PC over there. You made your splash, got noticed and had your seconds of fame. Time to leave.

RaZaK
Apr 12, 2010, 11:21 AM

Did you try running your PC programs in Boot Camp\Parallels\Fusion? Unless your primary reason is that you really, REALLY want to get the Sony, those alternatives can save you some cash.

Also, I don't know if you've ever tried to do maintenance on Vaio's, but they're a pain in the rear to take apart. Make sure you get the supe'd up version unless you want to handle the plethora of screws holding those Sony NoteBooks together.

jmazzamj
Apr 12, 2010, 11:41 AM
Just done a search on Vaio Z and found this thread I also sold my MBA 2.13 to get the i5 with 128gb ssd etc and more than happy with it.

I do miss OSX although Windows 7 has taken me by surprise very stable and quick!

I better lay down never thought I would say that about a Micro$oft product :rolleyes:

The following is not referred specifically and ONLY to you. It refers to any Windows machine.

Give Windows some time (6 months to 1 year), and it will begin being very very sluggish. Do not complain if suddenly your computer does not boot properly. Welcome to the Windows world.

Backup, guys, backup your Windows machines...

PsyD4Me
Apr 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
The following is not referred specifically and ONLY to you. It refers to any Windows machine.

Give Windows some time (6 months to 1 year), and it will begin being very very sluggish. Do not complain if suddenly your computer does not boot properly. Welcome to the Windows world.

my custom built alienware vista notebook never had any long-term slow downs, we're beyond XP

Scottsdale
Apr 12, 2010, 02:33 PM

Tell that to anyone who paid $1799 or $3099 for an original MBA... or to anyone who paid $2499 for a high-end rev B on June 1, 2009 only to see the value drop by $700 overnight on June 2, 2009 with the new MBA with a faster CPU.

gwsat
Apr 12, 2010, 02:47 PM
Tell that to anyone who paid $1799 or $3099 for an original MBA... or to anyone who paid $2499 for a high-end rev B on June 1, 2009 only to see the value drop by $700 overnight on June 2, 2009 with the new MBA with a faster CPU.
True, but as you and I both know, computers have been getting progressively cheaper and more powerful at an ever quickening pace since the introduction of the original PC in 1981. Thus, it is no surprise that these factors inevitably serve to reduce the resale value of the computers we already own.

Scottsdale
Apr 12, 2010, 04:34 PM
True, but as you and I both know, computers have been getting progressively cheaper and more powerful at an ever quickening pace since the introduction of the original PC in 1981. Thus, it is no surprise that these factors inevitably serve to reduce the resale value of the computers we already own.

But Apple computers usually hold their value much better as the poster I was replying to stated... my point was the MBA is just like other ultraportables and not like a normal Mac. Apple started this trend by introducing the first MBA before it was time with a terrible component makeup. When it followed up in October 2008 with the Nvidia chipset/GPU it made the MBA amazing. What happened in June 2009 was Apple trying to take advantage of the secondary market where Apple didn't have a competitor that was priced well. Had the iPad been around last June, I don't believe the MBA's pricing would have dropped so much. At least now Apple can get back to business with the MBA, and I hope they focus on high-end and BTO options to give people the luxury device they want.

Paperboy2010
Apr 12, 2010, 05:09 PM
You'll love the Z....it's a great machine. For those who already have one, does anyone know how to toggle the brightness control when the lights are off? It has an ambient light sensor that adjusts the screen brightness and I'd like to be able to toggle that on/off.

Thanks!

halledise
Apr 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
don't care how light and groovy and specced up the Viao's are (not to mention expensive!) - the day you can run Mac OSX on them is the day I'd be perhaps vaguely interested.

the hardware may be classy but the software is crap. or to put it another way, Window$ $ucks

bigbadneil
Aug 30, 2010, 05:08 AM
don't care how light and groovy and specced up the Viao's are (not to mention expensive!) - the day you can run Mac OSX on them is the day I'd be perhaps vaguely interested.

the hardware may be classy but the software is crap. or to put it another way, Window$ $ucks
Wrong

AAPLaday
Aug 30, 2010, 05:48 AM
Windows 7 = Very nice. Big upgrade from the POS that was Vista….

gwsat
Aug 30, 2010, 09:18 AM

Wrong
Windows 7 = Very nice. Big upgrade from the POS that was Vista….
I have something to say in favor of both postions. First, as noted in earlier posts, I think that OS X is significantly more intuitive and easier to use than Windows 7. That said, though, the hyperbole savaging Windows 7 is unconvincing. Although Vista was a slobbering dog, Windows 7 has proved to be a sound OS, the best that MS has come up with so far.

entatlrg
Aug 30, 2010, 10:11 AM
Wrong

How's that Sony Z working out? You've had it since April, would be great to read your opinions?

I bought my Z around that time, got rid of it after a few months and I'm back to a 13" MBP now ...

chrono1081
Aug 30, 2010, 04:16 PM
How's that Sony Z working out? You've had it since April, would be great to read your opinions?

I bought my Z around that time, got rid of it after a few months and I'm back to a 13" MBP now ...

That seems to be the trend with Sonys. I've owned two before and never again will I own another one. They are great out of the gate but a few months to a year in and they fall apart.

gwsat
Aug 30, 2010, 09:14 PM
That seems to be the trend with Sonys. I've owned two before and never again will I own another one. They are great out of the gate but a few months to a year in and they fall apart.
All ye who would take that dark path, be warned!:)

buddy1065
Aug 31, 2010, 07:25 AM
Still satisfied with my Sony Z, having it since March 18th. I bought it having given up on the Macbook air update, which still is yet to come. However I would consider selling it if and when the Macbook Air update does come.

Gripes?
Does not run OSX
Will crash with the GPU switch engaged whil watching Hulu movies. This is easily remedied by switching to Stamina mode however.
Speakers too small.

Raves?
Love the power of a Macbook Pro GPU in a 3 lb package. Heat is not a problem and fan noise is not a problem for me as I use the included noise cancelling headphones when playing games or watching movies. Any little bit of fan noise anyone else hears the heck with them. It connects via USB or by Wifi to my iPhone 4 using MyWi on my unlimited data contract.

As long as I have my 3 year warranty for the Z any problems with it are covered and I can take it to a nearby SonyStyle store in the Mall. I'm not concerned since I had a previous Sony 11" laptop which lasted a few years till I sold it. It had no faults until accidental screen damage which was even fixed without charge. I did not tell them the dust lodged inside the screen was accidental though.

So I am glad I went this way; I'd be still sitting on the fence close to six months now waiting on the MBA update. Sure I'd love to have OSX and Windows 7 in one package, but I can easily do without OSX till I get home to my Macbook Pro desktop replacement while the Z goes with me on the road.

Dagless
Aug 31, 2010, 08:11 AM

That has no impact at all on how much better the Viao Z is over the MBA.
Considering selling my unibody Macbook for one. It's an outstanding laptop!

entatlrg
Aug 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
Still satisfied with my Sony Z, having it since March 18th. I bought it having given up on the Macbook air update, which still is yet to come. However I would consider selling it if and when the Macbook Air update does come.

Gripes?
Does not run OSX
Will crash with the GPU switch engaged whil watching Hulu movies. This is easily remedied by switching to Stamina mode however.
Speakers too small.

Raves?
Love the power of a Macbook Pro GPU in a 3 lb package. Heat is not a problem and fan noise is not a problem for me as I use the included noise cancelling headphones when playing games or watching movies. Any little bit of fan noise anyone else hears the heck with them. It connects via USB or by Wifi to my iPhone 4 using MyWi on my unlimited data contract.

As long as I have my 3 year warranty for the Z any problems with it are covered and I can take it to a nearby SonyStyle store in the Mall. I'm not concerned since I had a previous Sony 11" laptop which lasted a few years till I sold it. It had no faults until accidental screen damage which was even fixed without charge. I did not tell them the dust lodged inside the screen was accidental though.

So I am glad I went this way; I'd be still sitting on the fence close to six months now waiting on the MBA update. Sure I'd love to have OSX and Windows 7 in one package, but I can easily do without OSX till I get home to my Macbook Pro desktop replacement while the Z goes with me on the road.

Interesting, I couldn't dump mine fast enough. The Z fell short on things that are important to me from a day to day user experience point of view, very poor screen, bad viewing angles, dark area's, the film they use is sub par to the xbrite display, I prefer the 13" MBP keyboard, and trackpad too.

Didn't notice it did anything better than my 13" MBP, Plex, hulu, video and all the business tasks I do including technical design all go at about the same pace on either the super spec'd Sony or the MBP ... I'd notice a difference doing FCP work or or heavy 3D imaging of course, but that's what my office Mac Pro is for. For productivity I do like the 13.3" screen much more than Sony's stubby 13.1" display, vertical real estate is important for computing tasks, the 13.1 is great for movies, entertainment sure.

But isn't the Sony Z marketed to 'business executives' who for the most part to be able to afford a machine like this are likely in their 30, 40's 50's ... just about the age where reading text starts to get difficult ... What does Sony do? The put in a sub par hi-res AG screen, default the DPI to 125% to ensure the fonts look even stranger and they're still too small.

Other than "power" what a clusterfu*ck of a mismatched laptop, marketed to who, for what? A great example of the Topic "How Sony Lost It's Way" google it, it makes great reading, it's obvious to me the new Sony Z's are a good example of this.

That being said, if Sony had of done just one key thing, that being putting an "excellent" display on the Z I would of bought mine, kept it and made it work until a new better ultra portable came along. I can get past anything but it's display no way, very unfortunate.

gri
Aug 31, 2010, 09:27 AM
Why not buying a refurbished MBA (Thanks Scottsdale, who encouraged me in doing so). I got a 1.86 rev. C with SSD and love it. Cheaper than buying a new one (which I agree is currently overpriced for the specs). I bought it in April and that means I was able to use a MBA on all these oversee trips already, not schlepping my heavy (comparatively) MBP with me. If the Air is EOL'd I have the last edition of it (value). If its getting updated I at least got use out of it and didn't pay full price. Will be my wife's than once a new one (or something comparable) gets out (by Apple, not an iPad in its current edition). Not that I want a new one but the later the MBA gets updated/changed/EOLd the more my gamble pays off.

entatlrg
Aug 31, 2010, 10:27 AM
For me it's battery life more than anything, otherwise for the most part the MBA did okay for average tasks before I gave it to my wife.

The battery life on the 13" MBP has spoiled me. Do I need 10 hours? No. But I am using up 5/6 hours between charges and it is a noticeable benefit over the Air's 3 hour or so battery.

Next to that more ram became important and the heat and fan noise is more than I"d like.

buddy1065
Aug 31, 2010, 02:57 PM
Funny, I'm in my 50's and IMO the 900 x 1600 screen is the best screen I've owned and far surpasses others in color and readability. So simply a difference in opinion there. I noticed hinge problems reported on the MBA; another reason for the Sony. And I wanted something just as light but powerful enough for 3d and graphics. For me the case is closed and I am happy with it. Doesn't matter what someone's blog says. And I didn't want an ext CD drive. Thinness was not so much a factor. Plus I have a MBP at home for video editing and the like.

matelot
Aug 31, 2010, 04:02 PM
I bought my Z around that time, got rid of it after a few months

want to tell us why ?

buddy1065
Aug 31, 2010, 04:40 PM
Been so long ago. I think it was to get the money for something else. If it was another laptop then is was probably for a dedicated GPU. Pretty sure it had intel graphics. Back then it was probably one of the few 11.1" laptops that had an internal CD drive. Just remembered; it was the Sony T250. But I was a bit into gaming then. These days I don't game much at all except for my hobby of making celebrity faces and uploading them for others in the game Oblivion Elder Scrolls 4, and the little T250 could not handle it.

Barak
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/20952-2-1226927273.jpg

Natalie Portman
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/AshleyT99/Natalie.jpg

Natalie video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQSbe7BRaw&feature=player_embedded)

My Natalie Page Link (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=21441)

I have over 100 celebs and still enjoy doing it. I've had about 5 or 6 Mac laptops, beginning with the Titanium and look forward to seeing what the new MBA has to offer. Not a diehard, inflexible fanboy of either side so if the next MBA is something considerably better I may sell the Sony Z. I can jump sides easily.

mangrove
Sep 8, 2010, 08:22 PM
We will gladly welcome you back sooner than you know.

gwsat
Sep 9, 2010, 01:16 PM
I've had about 5 or 6 Mac laptops, beginning with the Titanium and look forward to seeing what the new MBA has to offer. Not a diehard, inflexible fanboy of either side so if the next MBA is something considerably better I may sell the Sony Z. I can jump sides easily.
Be careful with appearing to be fair or folks around here might think that you don't fit in.:)

Scottsdale
Sep 9, 2010, 11:14 PM
Be careful with appearing to be fair or folks around here might think that you don't fit in.:)

Great post! LMAO!

buddy1065
Sep 25, 2011, 03:36 AM
Update: Still have my Z11 with 330m nVidia 4GB RAM. No problems at all, in fact an update fixed the problem I posted about watching Hulu. My 15" MBP seems to be doing great too. I use the Z more though.

Typswif2fingers
Sep 25, 2011, 03:48 AM
I don't know..

Couldn't care what anyone wants to buy..

But these stories of people making money from selling their laptops, machines keeping value etc.. Oh god.. Everyone on these forums buys a mac.. uses it for two years.. and then sells it and makes **** tins of cash.. Full of **** I reckon...

erasr
Sep 25, 2011, 04:33 AM
Blu Ray on a 13" screen.........?? What's the point!

Abazigal
Sep 25, 2011, 06:19 AM
I thought the comments about the sony vaio seemed too good to be true, until I visited the site and saw why.

The laptop you so touted as being superior to the MBA cost a freaking $4k! This is even more than a month of my take-home pay. Compared to a 13' MBA which costs just $1638 (in Singaporean currency), of course it better give superior performance, considering it is like 2.5 times the price. :rolleyes:

Likewise, is the a reason I would need such a powerhouse of a laptop? :confused:

vitzr
Sep 25, 2011, 06:34 AM

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I use both OS X and Windows 7, the reliability is identical. While I have a personal preference for OS X 10.6.5. I also enjoy a very fast & stable Windows experience. There's no longer the big gap in the two like years before. I haven't seen a BSOD in ages.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid windows from a speed or reliability standpoint. Anyone who bashes Windows is only kidding themselves.

As far as high end Sony VAIO's I've had several and they've all been great. My new Z is just as nice as my new 13" MBA.

I NEVER compare Macs against Windows Machines because they are simply different and one either prefers one over the other, or some use both like I do.

Comparing is a waste of time, and I'm not married to any brand or model. I may have my preferences but I don't push them on others. I use what works for me and I like choices. A hard core laptop addict that enjoys variety and new hardware I buy what I like.

It's as simple as that.

ZipZap
Sep 25, 2011, 11:02 AM

Another uninformed mac minion. Truth is...its very easy to leave the Mac OS behind. Most of the world uses Windows...even the vast majority of mac owners.

----------

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I use both OS X and Windows 7, the reliability is identical. While I have a personal preference for OS X 10.6.5. I also enjoy a very fast & stable Windows experience. There's no longer the big gap in the two like years before. I haven't seen a BSOD in ages.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid windows from a speed or reliability standpoint. Anyone who bashes Windows is only kidding themselves.

As far as high end Sony VAIO's I've had several and they've all been great. My new Z is just as nice as my new 13" MBA.

I NEVER compare Macs against Windows Machines because they are simply different and one either prefers one over the other, or some use both like I do.

Comparing is a waste of time, and I'm not married to any brand or model. I may have my preferences but I don't push them on others. I use what works for me and I like choices. A hard core laptop addict that enjoys variety and new hardware I buy what I like.

It's as simple as that.

Well said....pay attention Mac owners.

2IS
Sep 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
Holy thread resurrection batman! Did any of you happen to look at the date?

Faux Carnival
Sep 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
Z is only for the best and richest. :cool:

Pipper99
Sep 25, 2011, 12:13 PM
That's wonderful. Now go on the PC rumors and complain about what you don't like about your PC over there. You made your splash, got noticed and had your seconds of fame. Time to leave.

This +1

----------

Holy thread resurrection batman! Did any of you happen to look at the date?

Ha! I surely did not. Funny! :)

zzz99
Sep 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
A real Macbook Air/Pro 13" killer to me!

Bought one for a client back in 2009, 3x 64GB SSD in raid0!

But he ran out of space because he has his whole server data sync to his dropbox account! I am about to take out the DVDRW and install a 2nd SSD in that bay.

Yep,

Beanoir
Sep 25, 2011, 02:19 PM

hmmm...

eric/
Sep 25, 2011, 03:29 PM
Yep,

Cool story bro

deeddawg
Sep 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
You folks realize you're replying to an original poster who posted almost a year and a half ago, right?

calvol
Sep 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
Saw Vaio Z in Sony Store, awesome, so damn fast, graphics refreshes almost instantly, but the SHOW STOPPER is the crappy TOUCHPAD-- my gosh, why in the hell did they go with a corrugated surface??? The Vaio S has a much better trackpad. PASS! The Air trackpad is best in business.

Beanoir
Sep 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
The comedy factor is worth the thread resurrection, amazing how people get so beat up about hearing how anything could be remotely better than an Apple product...I mean thats just not possible surely....

I think the OP (no matter how long ago) is making a genuine real world comparison between 2 computing products, whats wrong with that.

unagimiyagi
Sep 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
Something is jacked with the screens on the Sony Vaio Z series. It's a manufacturing defect that they won't acknowledge.
Just scan your eyes left-right repeatedly across the screen. You don't see those wavy diagonal lines? I noticed them instantly in every sample model. They look like wavy "\\\" lines. Sorry to ruin it for you.

nanotlj
Sep 26, 2011, 01:12 PM
Sad to see all these kinds of stupid topics floating around the forum. Who the ****ing cares for your choice. Just buy what you like and what you can afford. It all comes to personal preference.

galanot
Sep 27, 2011, 05:10 AM
The Vaio Z is a great machine, but personally I couldn't go back to Windows. Ever!

Good luck

KohPhiPhi
Sep 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Specs-wise, it's obvious that the Vaio Z is significantly superior to the MBA (also more expensive): more powerful GPU, 8gb Ram, Blue Ray, HD screen, under 3lb, etc.

Let's be honest guys... this is an extraordinary piece of a hardware.

However, I still value OSX over the extra performance boost. Even if both machines were priced equally, I'd still go for MBA because of the OSX.

entatlrg
Sep 27, 2011, 10:46 PM
Something is jacked with the screens on the Sony Vaio Z series. It's a manufacturing defect that they won't acknowledge.
Just scan your eyes left-right repeatedly across the screen. You don't see those wavy diagonal lines? I noticed them instantly in every sample model. They look like wavy "\\\" lines. Sorry to ruin it for you.

I agree with that, have complained and posted about it for years.

Wonder if it's something to do with their AG coating.

Previous Z's with glossy screens didn't have this problem.

But yes, the 'sheen' haze/lines is there for sure.

Gurutech
Sep 27, 2011, 11:57 PM
Lion is Vista of Mac OS.
I still believe Mac OS is more intuitive and stable than windows, but the way Apple is going worries me enough.
The whole idea of Mac OS supremacy is getting rather thin nowadays.

Windows 7 is pretty stable, but sometimes you just want to forget the routines you'd have to go through to get that stability, and that's why I'm still using Macs (and bootcamp Windows for work).

Back to the topic, I think it's totally reasonable to buy windows machines if your work needs it.

coldmack
Sep 28, 2011, 12:18 AM
I agree with that, have complained and posted about it for years.

Wonder if it's something to do with their AG coating.

Previous Z's with glossy screens didn't have this problem.

But yes, the 'sheen' haze/lines is there for sure.

I thought that rust box had a anti-glare/coated screen?

Risasi
Sep 28, 2011, 05:25 PM
Lion is Vista of Mac OS.

Hardly...

(posted from my Lion 13" MBP)

2IS
Sep 28, 2011, 05:36 PM
Windows 7 is pretty stable, but sometimes you just want to forget the routines you'd have to go through to get that stability, and that's why I'm still using Macs (and bootcamp Windows for work).

The routine consists of installing the OS on non-faulty hardware. That's it.