PDA

View Full Version : Best note taking app available

Jcazz
Apr 12, 2010, 01:15 AM
Hi all -

I'm looking for input on the various note taking apps available for the iPad. Which do you like & why?

My application would be capturing notes during business meetings and ideally I would love to have both drawing/text capture as well as audio recording capabilities, rich text capabilities would be a plus. So far, I've not see all this in one package yet.

Thanks for any insight!
Jacob

Telp
Apr 12, 2010, 06:18 AM
Check out the application Evernote. I believe it has all of, if not most of what you are looking for and it is available for the iPad as well. I never had much luck with it but give it a try.

musicpenguy
Apr 12, 2010, 06:19 AM
I agree - Evernote - simply amazing - check it out

r0k
Apr 12, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evernote is free but doesn't work until you create an account. Not a big deal but if you are looking for a way to take notes and have them stay on your iPad, the built in memos app works for plain text and you can email memos to yourself from inside the app. If you want to spend money, take a look at pages. There are also some note taking apps in the app store, but I have not tried any of them. For me, it's pages, evernote, and memos.

ipoddin
Apr 12, 2010, 08:46 AM
Another for Evernote. If you create an account and have an iPhone, it will sync your notes across devices. Great for when you don't have your iPad with you and need to refer to, edit, or create a new note either on your iPhone or web. You can tag notes or create separate "notebooks" so one for specific projects with all notes for it inside.

uzzy
Apr 12, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm waiting for SmartNote to be released in the app store. It was submitted to Apple on Friday and they are just waiting for approval. I looks really nice and I believe it can do everything you are looking for. Here is a link to their website. You can also find videos on youtube if you search for "smartnote app"

http://mysmartnote.net/

uzzy

DotCom2
Apr 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah on Evernote.

AJsAWiz
Apr 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
I'm waiting for SmartNote to be released in the app store. It was submitted to Apple on Friday and they are just waiting for approval. I looks really nice and I believe it can do everything you are looking for. Here is a link to their website. You can also find videos on youtube if you search for "smartnote app"

uzzy

Interesting and graphically pleasing :)
I tried Evernote but didn't like it. I'm now using White Note and Bento (all purpose note, to dos, address book, etc.). I like them both :D

ipoddin
Apr 12, 2010, 12:39 PM

uzzy

Yeah, this does look interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7v0PmeXPOo&feature=fvst

iPhoneHome
Apr 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
I posted a video on YouTube going over my top productivity apps under $5 for the iPad. I mention the strong points of Evernote within it. Let me know if this helps.

iPhoneHome
Apr 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
I posted a video on YouTube going over my top productivity apps under $5 for the iPad. I mention the strong points of Evernote within it. Let me know if this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTXlB06mKCU&feature=youtube_gdata

edit-- apologies for the double post :-}

master-ceo
Apr 12, 2010, 01:04 PM
SoundPaper App

It can record audio as you write your notes, and when you tap a specific part in your notes it will play back what was recorded at that time. :cool:

All Notes App for iPad look pretty good as well.

itsbritneybitch
Apr 12, 2010, 01:29 PM
Being a student, i thought it might be easier to use some type of stylus. Would the pogo sketch work? With what note taking applications would it be compatible with

err404
Apr 12, 2010, 01:45 PM
Being a student, i thought it might be easier to use some type of stylus. Would the pogo sketch work? With what note taking applications would it be compatible with

As the platform matures, I'm sure that there will be some good apps, but for the time being I would use a pad of paper and transcribe the notes to the iPad after class. This way you wont fall behind on taking notes should something go wrong in the app, and the extra exposure to the content will help in your studying.

FYI - I've been out of school for years...

Timothy
Apr 12, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm looking for the same thing.

While I like the concept of Evernote, the actual development of the note taking seems really lame. It's just a blank sheet with no styling capability.

For me, what I really need, is an ability to do outlines, hierarchies. This feature was available in the basic note taking app that was on the Apple Newton back in the day, and I've missed it ever since.

Maybe I'm missing something about Evernote though.

ClaireL
Apr 12, 2010, 02:46 PM
I posted a video on YouTube going over my top productivity apps under $5 for the iPad. I mention the strong points of Evernote within it. Let me know if this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTXlB06mKCU&feature=youtube_gdata

Your video was excellent!

logista
Apr 12, 2010, 02:51 PM

The Pogo sketch has a blunt end about the size of a pencil eraser, but should work with any app that your finger works with :)

IDANNY
Apr 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
Sound paper looks great if you could just draw graphs

kallyq
Apr 12, 2010, 06:51 PM
I recommend checking out padnotes. It has a youtube video I believe :)

kallyq
Apr 12, 2010, 07:03 PM
Here is the link to the youtube video for padnotes. I especially like that you can highlight on a pdf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6nDbE1CK3o

brendan09
Apr 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
The smartNote app mentioned above allows you to highlight PDFs as well, plus it does the audio recording.

http://mysmartnote.net
(http://mysmartnote.net)
smartNote is in review by Apple, and will be available any day now.

Simgar988
Apr 12, 2010, 10:05 PM

uzzy

ohhh!!!! :D

mconk
Apr 12, 2010, 10:34 PM
Noones mentioned Google Docs...that's what I'm using to take notes in class...

noteuser
Apr 21, 2010, 11:39 AM
One option to look at is Notes to Store for classroom work.
Text and graphics in one package. http://www.notestostore.com/

David R
Apr 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Sound paper looks great if you could just draw graphs

+1

This would be great for meetings. Plus sometimes I miss a detail or two, so it would allow me to return to that section later and fill in whatever I missed.

danpass
Apr 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
have you picked one already?

I've been hearing good things about 'School Notes Pro' (free)

TheCableGuy
Apr 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
I haven't seen a great one yet.

Some combination of ReQall / Things / Voice recorded notes / etc. needs to be created as an uber business solution to managing notes, ideas, to dos, reminders, audio, etc.

If done well, someone could make a small fortune creating the best-in-class solution in this space. Most of what is out there is junk and/or only fulfills a small part of ones natural broader need.

RobT
Apr 21, 2010, 12:42 PM
Perhaps Penultimate?

gwynne
Apr 21, 2010, 12:47 PM
A few weeks in, I'm making 'decent' use of Evernote. The ability to cloud-sync across my iPad and iPhone is nice. It's got some formatting features I hadn't spotted at first, mostly because they're not available on the device apps (sigh), only the website. e.g., rich-text formatting, to-do-list checkboxes, etc.

It occasionally throws up an error about syncing, or crashes, but so far it's filling a niche that nothing else is.

(Can we still not edit Google docs? I assume not.)

Dammit Cubs
Apr 21, 2010, 01:03 PM
Penultimate for writing

Student notes pro is a distant second

noah82
Apr 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
My vote is evernote.

rtay
Apr 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
evernote is invaluable because they also have apps on phones. i just downloaded smartnote and the voice recording one for when i get my ipad again, but i am taking notes on evernote right now on my laptop, and syncing it to my phone to review in my spare time. Also, in lite note taking classes, i can just bring my phone and it syncs right back to my computer. Its a great ecosystem, so my vote is for it.

Dillenger
Apr 21, 2010, 01:40 PM
School Note Pro. Don't let the name fool you, and it's FREE!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/school-notes-pro/id353007318?mt=8

DKatri
Apr 21, 2010, 03:16 PM
As the platform matures, I'm sure that there will be some good apps, but for the time being I would use a pad of paper and transcribe the notes to the iPad after class. This way you wont fall behind on taking notes should something go wrong in the app, and the extra exposure to the content will help in your studying.

FYI - I've been out of school for years...

Pretty god point. I do find that copying notes out after a lecture does help.

Simgar988
Apr 21, 2010, 04:08 PM
School Note Pro. Don't let the name fool you, and it's FREE!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/school-notes-pro/id353007318?mt=8

And it CRASHES whenyouve made more than six notes!!! Worthless

nsorrelle
Apr 21, 2010, 04:13 PM
I've tried a lot of programs, and Notes Pro is by far the best. SmartNote has a lot of potential, but really falls short right now and is incredibly buggy.

Notes Pro lets you put whatever you want from a web page into your notes. It also lets you type where you want and draw where you want. You can also record with it, and the recordings stay on the page of notes you wrote when you recorded it.

brandnb
Apr 23, 2010, 07:32 AM
I use my ipad at work for meetings and such, and was wondering what everyones opinion is on a note taking app. Ive been using the stock note taking app and it's okay however I'd like something with more features. I've also tried notes pro and it's OKAY however some of the features on it aren't that great. If you could post what you use or recommend it would be appreciated. Thanks

r0k
Apr 23, 2010, 07:54 AM
School note pro is now called sundry notes. I only have a couple of notes so I don't know if the crash is fixed but you can always email yourself the older notes as pdf files if there is a bug related to more than 6 notes.

I have several note taking apps but always come back to sundry notes.

r0k
Apr 23, 2010, 07:56 AM
I use my ipad at work for meetings and such, and was wondering what everyones opinion is on a note taking app. Ive been using the stock note taking app and it's okay however I'd like something with more features. I've also tried notes pro and it's OKAY however some of the features on it aren't that great. If you could post what you use or recommend it would be appreciated. Thanks

I like Sundry Notes (was once called School Notes Pro).

Dillenger
Apr 23, 2010, 08:00 AM
School note pro is now called sundry notes. I only have a couple of notes so I don't know if the crash is fixed but you can always email yourself the older notes as pdf files if there is a bug related to more than 6 notes.

I have several note taking apps but always come back to sundry notes.

I just recently surpassed 7 pages of notes with mine and no crashes.

wyneken
Apr 23, 2010, 08:40 AM
I've been using MaxJournal, which is not primarily designed as a note-taking app. It's still kind of a work-in-progress and is missing some features that, according to the developer, will be added presently. But I like the clean interface, the choice of fonts and sizes, and the fact that each day a new page opens automatically, like an old-fashioned daily journal, which to me is a nice and natural way to organize things.

PCClone
Apr 23, 2010, 08:57 AM
Check out the other 1000 threads that already discuss this in detail.

MacDryCleaner
May 6, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hi All -

I do a lot of customer service work which means I'm in front of my clients a lot taking notes about their needs. I am looking for what your opinions might be for the best note taking app. I prefer to write my notes by hand and then later type up my notes so I would want an app that I can open in front of a client and start writing whatever it is they need me to do and then later transcribe and keep in type written form. I have one of those Pogo Stylus pens so I'm not sitting there with my finger looking like I'm doodling and gives me a little professionalism, but I need to know what is the best app.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

bluehaze013
May 6, 2010, 10:34 PM
Hi All -

I do a lot of customer service work which means I'm in front of my clients a lot taking notes about their needs. I am looking for what your opinions might be for the best note taking app. I prefer to write my notes by hand and then later type up my notes so I would want an app that I can open in front of a client and start writing whatever it is they need me to do and then later transcribe and keep in type written form. I have one of those Pogo Stylus pens so I'm not sitting there with my finger looking like I'm doodling and gives me a little professionalism, but I need to know what is the best app.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Theres an app called note it that I use for it's simplicity, click a button and a sticky note pops up type what you want and then move it where you want on a bulletin board. Works great for me. There are more complicated apps that do the same thing and more but for me the simplicity is the key,if it's too invloved it defeats the purpose of using a simple sticky note.

cRuNcHiE
May 7, 2010, 02:40 AM
There's an app called writepad that supports handwriting, but I haven't tried it myself

ctt1wbw
May 7, 2010, 06:56 AM
What about Penultimate?

SchneiderMan
May 7, 2010, 09:21 AM
I use Pages. I found It much better then the stock Notepad but I'm not sure you can use your own handwriting with it.

ZBoater
May 7, 2010, 09:32 AM
I love PaperDesk. AppAdvice recently had a comparison with PenUltimate and it fared very well.

steel magnolia
May 7, 2010, 10:01 AM
I am really liking PaperDesk, have Penultimate and like the ink flow but PaperDesk blows it away with the features penultimate doesn't have.

raremage
May 7, 2010, 10:14 AM
I love PaperDesk. AppAdvice recently had a comparison with PenUltimate and it fared very well.

Any link to the comparo?

javaGuru
May 7, 2010, 10:23 AM
What about Evernote? I like it but I still want to try some of the other note taking apps.

drumma022
May 7, 2010, 10:33 AM
I use PaperDesk. They have the Lite version that lets you try it out for free.

I had to have one that allowed typing and drawing on the same note.

r0k
May 7, 2010, 10:35 AM
I have been using School Notes Pro (now called Sundry Note) but the other day I had a lot of difficulty scrolling around the screen and what I was typing was obscured by the on screen keyboard. I have Paperdesk and will give that a try. I have used Pages in the past as well as Penultimate. Right now, I'm looking for something better and Paperdesk is looking like it might be the winner.

ZBoater
May 7, 2010, 10:39 AM
Any link to the comparo?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/06/hands-on-with-paperdesk-for-ipad-1-2/

raremage
May 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/06/hands-on-with-paperdesk-for-ipad-1-2/

Sounds cool, and thanks for the link. Going to download and test-drive it myself.

AJsAWiz
May 7, 2010, 12:36 PM
What about Penultimate?

Bingo! That one is my favorite :D

tomashi
May 7, 2010, 12:45 PM
i'd say pen and paper so you don't look like a huge douche to clients

iRabbit
May 7, 2010, 12:50 PM

I used my iPad yesterday in a meeting and the CEO was very impressed. I won brownie points for being first in the office to have one :P

I'm using GhostWriter now... It has a nice combination of being able to draw right on the page (pencil tool) and using an input field for handwriting small (pen tool). The only problem with Ghostwriter is it can get a bit laggy once the page starts to fill up.

Notetaker HD is supposed to be coming out VERY soon, and seems like it's even more polished than Ghostwriter, so I'm looking forward to trying that.

I haven't tried any of the apps that do handwriting recognition yet...

vant
May 7, 2010, 01:15 PM

Depends on what you use. I will attest that I probably looked like a douche when I first tried to take notes on Notepad.

HiRez
May 7, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm already using the iPad more and more for taking notes in meetings. I did feel awkward about it at first as hardly anyone had seen an iPad, but the more common they become, the less awkward it is. In a year or so I don't think anyone will think it odd as lot of people will be note-taking on tablets. I'm just using the built in notepad app right now, which is better than nothing but far from ideal. I still find the magnifying glass slow and awkward to use for going back to make corrections also.

Dillenger
May 7, 2010, 03:38 PM

Some people are douche's no matter what they use. :D

ctt1wbw
May 7, 2010, 04:38 PM

I have both Penultimate and Paper Desk. Paper Desk hands down is the worser of the two, by far.

As long as it's a Mont Blanc, you'd be fine.

JaredStrauss
May 13, 2010, 08:55 AM
Is there an iPad app that does not suck at taking notes? Seriously is anyone fully happy with a note taking app?

It seems like you need to take like 5 apps and combine them to get a usable notebook replacement.

I think a note taking app that basically combines pages, pen ultimate and has most of the features of Microsoft one note or notebook view of on word for mac would be worth at least 20 dollars...if it existed

david77
May 13, 2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone know of an app that does handwriting recognition?

Indydenny
May 13, 2010, 06:10 PM
Writepad does handwriting recognition.

Jaro65
May 13, 2010, 08:24 PM

You're mentioning in your video that the Evernote feature whereby you can sort your documents by location is esthetically pleasing, but not much more. From my perspective I'm finding that it is very handy if I work in different locations and want to recall the info recorded at a specific site.

bigrobb
May 17, 2010, 03:29 PM
has anyone tried this one http://www.coursenotesapp.com/

ctt1wbw
May 18, 2010, 06:23 AM

Me too. Much easier to write with, especially with a Pogo stylus. :)

ultima
May 18, 2010, 06:42 AM
this one looks interesting to me. Anyone's tried it yet?
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/notebook-for-ipad/id353276653?mt=8

gvdavewh
May 19, 2010, 01:03 AM
Give me an app that works like my LiveScribe pen with a separate writing area at the bottom of the screen and the ability to also use the keyboard and I'll be a happy camper.

JaredStrauss
May 19, 2010, 09:06 AM
has anyone tried this one http://www.coursenotesapp.com/

I tried it. The app is OK. The organization is annoying and drawing is in a separate window.

Their site says they are fixing it with updates

imacdaddy
May 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Best writing app for the iPhone is Fastfinga. Best note taking app...I still think is Fastfinga. Ghostwriter second. Penultimate is just a painting app in disguise.

arctic
May 19, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evernote - my favorite. Seamless syncing with my Mac whether I am near or away from my computer. Whether I make notes in the iPad or the Mac, syncing happens right away on both devices.

SoundPaper - the ability to record audio (great quality) while note taking. Perfect during lectures or meetings.

PaperDesk - can both draw and type on the same page. Can record audio as well.

David R
May 19, 2010, 02:59 PM
I've been enjoying WhiteNote. I like the mix of being able to type with the keyboard and do graphs. Each group of text or graph is its own object and you can just drag them around the page and rearrange your notes which I've found very useful. I also like the way it organizes notes. And I love that it has sound recording.

It does have some issues such as the inability to type and record sound at the same time, but when I emailed them they told me that this coming very soon.

Overall, I'm happy with it. It has most of the features that I want in a note taking app and the developers seem to be responsive.

ScottFitz
May 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
I use PaperDesk. They have the Lite version that lets you try it out for free.

I had to have one that allowed typing and drawing on the same note.

Yep, I just downloaded the lite version. Now I've ordered two stylii from Amazon. Will my wallet ever stop hemmoraging from this iPad? Haha.

timdafweak
May 22, 2010, 07:16 AM
Wow, with wrist protection, Penultimate just rules them all. I can't believe how well it works! It has become the app of choice now. Wonderful!

rldunn
May 22, 2010, 03:21 PM
Wow, with wrist protection, Penultimate just rules them all. I can't believe how well it works! It has become the app of choice now. Wonderful!
Penultimate has really always had the best writing (no lag, looks great on the screen, etc), and their implementation of hand-ignoring is by far the best of all the apps I've tried that have attempted this. All of this, with their simple, intuitive interface, make PU a great choice for quick, easy note-taking.

However, they still have a few things holding them back. Their notebook organization is horrible - almost as bad as their writing is good. They need to steal some ideas from Ghostwriter. If you have more than a couple of notebooks, it is really frustrating and time-consuming to switch between them. The animation here really adds nothing, and it takes up time.

Also, their notes don't look great on the desktop - everything looks too big, especially if you ever need to print out the notes. I wish they would change the default method of saving so that the scaling looked correct.

And then there are little things, such as the ability to use a smaller pen width and different pen colors on screen.

I hope they add these things soon - if so, I doubt I would ever use anything else.

hariustrk
May 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
I love Note Taker HD now, more functional then penultimate as you can squeeze alot more on a page then then PU or Paperdesk

Jaro65
Aug 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
I love Note Taker HD now, more functional then penultimate as you can squeeze alot more on a page then then PU or Paperdesk

I do like that aspect of Note Taker HD. The moving rectangle approach though looks just a little clunky.

petvas
Aug 11, 2010, 03:04 PM
Is there an iPad app that does not suck at taking notes? Seriously is anyone fully happy with a note taking app?

It seems like you need to take like 5 apps and combine them to get a usable notebook replacement.

I think a note taking app that basically combines pages, pen ultimate and has most of the features of Microsoft one note or notebook view of on word for mac would be worth at least 20 dollars...if it existed

I am with you here. I have bought many apps but none of them offers a complete feature set like One Note. I want an app that offers good management options of my notes, allows text, drawing and handwriting. Embedding pictures, audio and websites should also be possible. I would like to be able to change the font and color of my text for single words or characters. Most apps do that for the whole page! This is just unacceptable.

stuartmeyers
Aug 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
I've been toying around with Adobe Ideas for customer meetings. Have practiced but not used it yet in real life.

Good for drawing and scribble especially with the two finger zoom in/out ability.

I have also loaded some of my powerpoint slides into keynote on the ipad. I viewed full screen and then took a screen shot with the ipad.

I can then import the picture into Adobe Ideas and scribble all over it which is what I often do with a customer as we work through a technical solution (ie I am in IT).

But, it doesn't have text typing and I don't need sound.

viettran
Oct 21, 2010, 06:48 PM
Video demo: http://notesplusapp.com/about/demo-video

Notes Plus (http://notesplusapp.com) offers smooth handwriting, keyboard text, shape auto detection, audio recording, and more.

stuartmeyers
Oct 21, 2010, 08:47 PM
Video demo: http://notesplusapp.com/about/demo-video

Notes Plus (http://notesplusapp.com) offers smooth handwriting, keyboard text, shape auto detection, audio recording, and more.

Looks interesting. I even tried to buy it but it says it is being modified - try again later....

Does it have folders or tags for grouping?

ksmith80209
Oct 22, 2010, 10:44 AM
I must have 5 or 6 note taking apps and I have to say, this looks like it will be my #1 for now. It combines the pen functionality of a Penultimate with the sound recording from other apps and the "zoomed writing" of Dan Bricklin's excellent NoteTaker HD. It's also super easy to use and isn't cluttered up with extraneous UI elements like a few other apps.

By the way - it's also on sale today only for $0.99. I was prepared to pay the $3.99 this is a steal!

Outline Team
Jun 27, 2013, 12:09 AM
Hey There,

You might like to watch this (http://outline.ws/features) about Outline - note-taking app for iPad!
Isn't it awesome?

It is compatible with the desktop OneNote,
is capable of Box, Dropbox, Skydrive sync,
your notes can also be accessed on Mac.

Taking notes with Outline is intuitive and beautiful experience.
There are 2 versions of Outline on the App Store - Outline (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outline./id451920439?mt=8)and Outline+ (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/outline+/id538029496?mt=8).
Outline contains full editing functionality and is free! Outline+ enables the sync and is paid.

Have a look! Do you like its UI? More info about it here (http://outline.ws/)
you can also ask me

saberahul
Jun 28, 2013, 06:32 AM
Stylus: notability. Regular: Evernote or maybe the new note suit. Haven't tried this but has great reviews. Notes plus is good and viet is great at customer service - I just find the UI a bit weird for my taste.

victorpaul1
Jul 1, 2013, 12:45 AM
I've used this app on a friend's iPad and think I prefer Noteshelf overall, but I'll put this one on the purchased list anyway 'cause it's still a good app.

ScottNWDW
Jul 1, 2013, 11:57 AM
Microsoft just posted an update to One Note for the iPhone and iPad. The iPad version looks pretty awesome for you One Note fans out there.