PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Web Browser now supports the iPad

Pages : 1 [2]

Zwhaler
May 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
Atomic browser is fantastic. I'm using it now. I love love love the customizable multitouch gestures (three finger tap for fullscreen, 2 finger swipe right/left for back and forward and more) Plus I changed the color scheme to Safari and it looks much more professional. No more Safari for me that's for sure. No brainer for 99 cents.

Discaciate
May 1, 2010, 03:04 PM
Good question. what would you prefer:
1) Removing the bottom bar an relocate the bottoms to the top bar and bookmark bar

2) Add more options to the bottom bar. Keep the top bar and include an optional bookmark bar.

For me: number 1 for sure

spectre51
May 1, 2010, 03:07 PM
For me: number 1 for sure

Ditto. Can't get used to them on the bottom.

spammerhamster
May 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
Out of curiosity, on estimate, how many items does everyone have in their history? It looks like i'll have to make an option to turn off suggestion for people with a large amount of history. Of course, I'll also look into improving performance.

I have over "6 swipes" worth of history each day. (I guess one swipe does about 20-30?)
And there are 15 days of history in the historything.. Which I can't delete... (only way is deinstall/reinstall the app)

H00513R
May 1, 2010, 05:25 PM
Love the new icon! Great job Atomic!

LinMac
May 1, 2010, 08:05 PM
The Ad Block used in Atomic is different then adblock for Firefox. This is because the iPhone OS doesn't have regex. There are solutions out there but they technically violate the sdk agreement and I don't want to give Apple any reason to reject the app. I have automatically updating Ad Block on my todo list.

Ad Block will block the content when it is requested to be downloaded.

Thank you for your reply.

It seems strange that an UNIX operating system running on ARM wouldn't have something as basic as a PCRE compatible regex library, but you are correct as far as I can see.

Hopefully 4.0 will expose more complete regex functionality, but for now there appear to be two SDK friendly solutions available:

1) ICU Regular-Expression Support (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewIniPhoneOS/Articles/iPhoneOS3_2.html) in iPhone OS 3.2.

2) RegexKitLite (http://www.iphonedevx.com/?p=54) for 3.1.3 or earlier.

Your application is a great addition to the iPad and iPhone. I hope the adblock can become more robust to deal with more of the advertising to make browsing even faster. :)

doug in albq
May 1, 2010, 11:53 PM
1) Removing the bottom bar an relocate the bottoms to the top bar and bookmark bar

2) Add more options to the bottom bar. Keep the top bar and include an optional bookmark bar.

that is truly a difficult decision. Richard, you have a unique situation if compared to Apple's browser Safari in that your app is a Universal app.

for example Safari on iPhone and iPod touch has bottom bar, Safari on the iPad had no bottom bar. A bottom bar is better for a 3.5 inch screen, not so good for an ipad sized screen.

I think whatever solution that offers the most user-choice would be the best. so I actually vote for both #1 and #2.

maybe do this: move the forward and back arrows to the top, next to the bookmark "star" which I would change from a star to an icon that more represents "bookmarks" like a book icon. Also move the "+" up there. change up the order a bit though, like this: bookmark icon first, then back and forward arrows, then the add bookmark "+", then the settings icon, and nothing else on the top. You have some room to play with because the URL bar does not need to be as long as it is. I would use the width of about 2 of your tabs (or a bit less, maybe 1.7 of your tab width) for these 5 buttons, which is about the same width Safari for the iPad uses for it's critical buttons located top left....However all this works great for iPad UI not as great for iPhone UI...size is everything, and the reason why Safari has two different UI's

Also, maybe a bookmark bar that can be individually toggled hidden or showing....

And maybe change the red close tab button to a neutral color that works with all of your theme colors—which would most likely be a grey or black button/white "X" or white button/black "X" (maybe lose a few of those theme colors)

I also think your browser is more popular with the iPad crowd than with the iPhone users. Soon, iPad users will be almost similar in numbers to iphone users, but it will take at least a year, maybe 2 to gain the momentum of the iPhone. for your app, if I had to pick one GUI to favor when deciding the interface for your browser, it would be iPad over iPhone. Or, eventually, write two separate apps, one for the big screen and one for the little screen. Or, essentially roll two apps onto one by greatly expanding the already large user settings...

Will iPhone or iPad OS 4.0 include a Safari Browser that has real tabs—at least for the iPad version? only time will tell.

My $.02

dhy8386
May 2, 2010, 07:19 AM
Doug is spot on. All things considered i would prefer 1 as well.

patp
May 2, 2010, 11:58 AM
Now my Atomic Browser is not keeping history anymore. Before it wouldn't clear the history. So i deleted the app and then reinstalled on my next synch. This fixed the issue with history not clearing. But now ever since then the history log is empty.

I checked to see if I had privacy on but it's checked off.

Do i have to do another delete/reinstall?

Shank2001
May 2, 2010, 03:44 PM
I really love this browser, and have been recommending it to everyone I know.

Here are some suggestions if you are interested.

1. The font sizing seems too coarse. It would be much more useful if the steps were finer. Right now the jumps are just too big to make it very useful.

2. It would be nice to be able to drag on the tabs to reorder them.

3. It would nice if the current active tab was better highlighted. When a lot of tabs are open it is hard to tell which one is the current tab.

4. Not sure if this is possible, but when the open tabs from a previous session option is set, and you had a decent number of tabs that it has to open on launch, it can take a long time to load all the tabs which is understandable. But one thing that might make the experience a bit better is to load the last current tab first on launch and then start loading all the other tabs in the background after that tab has loaded. This would have the effect of the app being more responsive if you have to close the app to copy something from another app, for example, and go back to Atomic. The tab you were on a before would load first making the wait much less.

Also, i agree that you need a way to donate. I love that your app is only 99 cents, and i know most people I have told about this app have decided to try it for themselves because it is only 99 cents, so raising the price would stop many from trying it. However I think the app is definitely worth more than 99 cents. Being able to donate a few bucks to you would be a great way for people like me to encourage you to keep updating your app.

Shank2001
May 2, 2010, 03:47 PM
For those of you having trouble getting youtube to work when you have Atomic set to emulate desktop safari, you might want to sign up for the beta version of youtube that uses HTML5. Just google about it to see how. This should solve your problems for the most part.

AtomicBrowser
May 2, 2010, 06:18 PM
Thank you for your reply.

It seems strange that an UNIX operating system running on ARM wouldn't have something as basic as a PCRE compatible regex library, but you are correct as far as I can see.

Hopefully 4.0 will expose more complete regex functionality, but for now there appear to be two SDK friendly solutions available:

1) ICU Regular-Expression Support (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/releasenotes/General/WhatsNewIniPhoneOS/Articles/iPhoneOS3_2.html) in iPhone OS 3.2.

2) RegexKitLite (http://www.iphonedevx.com/?p=54) for 3.1.3 or earlier.

Your application is a great addition to the iPad and iPhone. I hope the adblock can become more robust to deal with more of the advertising to make browsing even faster. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I was testing with regexkitlite but decided to scrap it when I read some stories of apps being rejected because of it. Maybe Apple is being more lenient now...

AtomicBrowser
May 2, 2010, 06:24 PM
that is truly a difficult decision. Richard, you have a unique situation if compared to Apple's browser Safari in that your app is a Universal app.

for example Safari on iPhone and iPod touch has bottom bar, Safari on the iPad had no bottom bar. A bottom bar is better for a 3.5 inch screen, not so good for an ipad sized screen.

I think whatever solution that offers the most user-choice would be the best. so I actually vote for both #1 and #2.

maybe do this: move the forward and back arrows to the top, next to the bookmark "star" which I would change from a star to an icon that more represents "bookmarks" like a book icon. Also move the "+" up there. change up the order a bit though, like this: bookmark icon first, then back and forward arrows, then the add bookmark "+", then the settings icon, and nothing else on the top. You have some room to play with because the URL bar does not need to be as long as it is. I would use the width of about 2 of your tabs (or a bit less, maybe 1.7 of your tab width) for these 5 buttons, which is about the same width Safari for the iPad uses for it's critical buttons located top left....However all this works great for iPad UI not as great for iPhone UI...size is everything, and the reason why Safari has two different UI's

Also, maybe a bookmark bar that can be individually toggled hidden or showing....

And maybe change the red close tab button to a neutral color that works with all of your theme colors—which would most likely be a grey or black button/white "X" or white button/black "X" (maybe lose a few of those theme colors)

I also think your browser is more popular with the iPad crowd than with the iPhone users. Soon, iPad users will be almost similar in numbers to iphone users, but it will take at least a year, maybe 2 to gain the momentum of the iPhone. for your app, if I had to pick one GUI to favor when deciding the interface for your browser, it would be iPad over iPhone. Or, eventually, write two separate apps, one for the big screen and one for the little screen. Or, essentially roll two apps onto one by greatly expanding the already large user settings...

Will iPhone or iPad OS 4.0 include a Safari Browser that has real tabs—at least for the iPad version? only time will tell.

My $.02

To clarify the options, they are for the iPad only. I don't plan to change the menu bars for the iPhone version.

I agree about the x on the tabs and bookmark icon. I was playing with changing both of them this morning. For the bookmark icon, I will use the standard Safari icon. I'm either going to go with a plain "x" for the close tab button or a circle with an x. Both of the icons will have standard colors to fit the themes better.

AtomicBrowser
May 2, 2010, 06:26 PM
Now my Atomic Browser is not keeping history anymore. Before it wouldn't clear the history. So i deleted the app and then reinstalled on my next synch. This fixed the issue with history not clearing. But now ever since then the history log is empty.

I checked to see if I had privacy on but it's checked off.

Do i have to do another delete/reinstall?

Hopefully, next version will have this all fixed for you. If not, i'll have to take you up on the request to beta test.

AtomicBrowser
May 2, 2010, 06:37 PM
I really love this browser, and have been recommending it to everyone I know.

Here are some suggestions if you are interested.

1. The font sizing seems too coarse. It would be much more useful if the steps were finer. Right now the jumps are just too big to make it very useful.

I see your issue here. Unfortunately, when I had the font settings at a smaller increment, I received complaints that they needed to press the increase button twice. Maybe I'll shrink the increments by 20% or so.

2. It would be nice to be able to drag on the tabs to reorder them.

3. It would nice if the current active tab was better highlighted. When a lot of tabs are open it is hard to tell which one is the current tab.

I'll be updating the tabs in version 3.0. I'll try to make the active tab more visible then.

4. Not sure if this is possible, but when the open tabs from a previous session option is set, and you had a decent number of tabs that it has to open on launch, it can take a long time to load all the tabs which is understandable. But one thing that might make the experience a bit better is to load the last current tab first on launch and then start loading all the other tabs in the background after that tab has loaded. This would have the effect of the app being more responsive if you have to close the app to copy something from another app, for example, and go back to Atomic. The tab you were on a before would load first making the wait much less.

I've been looking into adding something like this as an option. If I add it, it won't be until after version 3.0.

Also, i agree that you need a way to donate. I love that your app is only 99 cents, and i know most people I have told about this app have decided to try it for themselves because it is only 99 cents, so raising the price would stop many from trying it. However I think the app is definitely worth more than 99 cents. Being able to donate a few bucks to you would be a great way for people like me to encourage you to keep updating your app.

I appreciate the donation request but it is not necessary. One of my competitors is ranking all the bad reviews as most helpful. If you would like to help out, rate the good reviews as helpful if you think they are fair. This would help me get more sales and also motivate me to update the app. I am mainly doing the browser because it is fun. When some idiot with 13 fake iTunes accounts decides to bump up every bad review I receive, I'm not having as much fun ;)

patp
May 2, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hopefully, next version will have this all fixed for you. If not, i'll have to take you up on the request to beta test.

I'm all for helping in anyway i can. Love the browser and the work you do.

Thanks
Pat

kmattoo
May 2, 2010, 09:42 PM
Hmm, so I just jailbroke my iPad and Atomic Web Browser doesn't seem to be able to run in the background for my iPad..

Obviously this is all new and I don't expect an answer, but just wanted to see if anyone else out there had the same issue.

Edit: Now it's working w/ backgrounder! Whoop!

PatrickRS
May 3, 2010, 02:31 AM
Great browser... thanks Mr.. Dev.

Couple minor suggestions:
1) When opening a new tab (+), set the focus to address bar and pop-up the keyboard.
2) Add an option that all links open in new tabs.

Thanks for a great app. Hope you make a good living from it.

Julien
May 3, 2010, 06:18 AM

Also there is a whole separate thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=906671) in the iPad section and in it I and a couple of others asked about Bookmarks not not having Atomic default back to start point. As is after you open the Bookmarks menu you have to select Imported Bookmarks and then Bookmarks Bar to get back to your Bookmarks. Have it default to where you were last or to Bookmarks Bar. This would save 2 or more taps each time.

mr.white
May 4, 2010, 02:26 AM
Another minor suggestions:

Double finger tab, on a tab reloading the current page.

Thx for the great App!

GoCubsGo
May 5, 2010, 05:49 PM
I just ran into an issue trying to go to Outlook Web Mail through a secured site (https), it never loaded, no error message, nothing. I eventually closed the tab. Not sure if anyone can test this as well but it doesn't work for me. Also my cursor often (80%) disappears.

PatrickRS
May 5, 2010, 05:53 PM
I just ran into an issue trying to go to Outlook Web Mail through a secured site (https), it never loaded, no error message, nothing. I eventually closed the tab. Not sure if anyone can test this as well but it doesn't work for me. Also my cursor often (80%) disappears.

I also couldn't get Atomic to load my company's Outlook Webmail site (HTTP to HTTPS redirect). The tab just remained blank. I guess I didn't wait long enough for it to close.

The site works fine in Safari on my iPhone 3GS.

GoCubsGo
May 5, 2010, 05:56 PM
I closed the tab myself. 5 minutes to wait for it to do something was long enough. And yes, it works in safari. I also noticed when my cursor disappears i go to select text in a field like here on MR and it selects the form window, I'm unable to get the cursor back. Very annoying.

ipad.phone111
May 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
IT looks greeat,
and help us to seach more,
Maybe 1 second delay after a closing click sounds better?

Barham
May 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
Using the multi touch gestures to control font size is great, but the increment is too large. I realize that this has been discussed previously, however I may be able to she dsome light on the topic. When using Safari on iPhone, it typically takes a 4pt difference to get the fonts to a legible size. On the iPad the increment increase isn't as great. So, my theory is that while the current increase font command jumps to a ridiculously greater size, the iPhone increase is more tolerable. Is there a way to differentiate these two situations so that both the iPad and iphone versions can change fonts in a manageable and convenient way?

smotheredhope
May 6, 2010, 02:10 AM

My votes goes for numero dos. I don't understand all the people that want the controls at the top. It feels more natural at the bottom and I don't have to cover the screen with mynhand to work them. I hope you will give us a choice by way of settings.

itzcoolz
May 6, 2010, 02:46 AM
i love this app! it's odd that I haven't seen it get more coverage on engadget, gizmodo, and the tech blogosphere.

one suggestion, though: right now, when tapping the address bar and immediately typing out a url, it adds the url to the end of the current page's url. it would be much more convenient if it functioned like safari, where unless you tap on a portion of the url, it enters a brand new url. i hope that makes sense.

smotheredhope
May 6, 2010, 04:01 PM
you know I really love this app. I have one suggestion and bear with me as I have no idea how easy/hard this would be. One reason I love Opera on my desktop is that when you open a new window you get a speed dial. I love that. Anyway one of those can be incorporated in awb?

anyways keep up the great work. Bye Bye Safari. hello Atomic Web Browser!

GaresTaylan
May 6, 2010, 09:34 PM
Am I missing something or is there no way to organize bookmarks? I would like to be able to rearrange the order of them.

An example is that I added a folder and some bookmarks in the regular bookmark tab afterward. The folder is in the middle of all the bookmarks and it's awkward.

Julien
May 7, 2010, 06:06 AM
My votes goes for numero dos. I don't understand all the people that want the controls at the top. It feels more natural at the bottom and I don't have to cover the screen with mynhand to work them. I hope you will give us a choice by way of settings.

I agree and think most just want the top because that is what all other browsers have. At first I also wanted then on top but after a few days of use I changed my mind. Much better use of space and a cleaner interface.

Discaciate
May 7, 2010, 09:19 AM
I agree and think most just want the top because that is what all other browsers have. At first I also wanted then on top but after a few days of use I changed my mind. Much better use of space and a cleaner interface.

Not true. I guess it really depends on how you hold your device.

For browsing I mostly use it on landscape and the way I hold it makes my thumbs rest closer to the top of the screen. Having the back and forward button on the left upper side would be much more comfortable for me.

It is an issue that really bothers me.

That's why we have suggested an option to choose to have it in the bottom or in the upper part.

fishepa
May 7, 2010, 10:40 AM
Not true. I guess it really depends on how you hold your device.

For browsing I mostly use it on landscape and the way I hold it makes my thumbs rest closer to the top of the screen. Having the back and forward button on the left upper side would be much more comfortable for me.

It is an issue that really bothers me.

That's why we have suggested an option to choose to have it in the bottom or in the upper part.

I agree, an option would be great for the top.

Julien
May 7, 2010, 01:24 PM
I agree, an option would be great for the top.

No problem if it's an option so I can keep bottom. I use top of page and bottom of page option buttons. Would like to see page up and page down offered too.

slpdLoad
May 7, 2010, 01:26 PM
Another vote for moving the back/forward/etc bar to the top, because....

When you are using the iPad with a keyboard, and you select a text box, the OS brings up a menu at the bottom of the screen for "Previous" and "Next", which is meant to act like tab and shift-tab for selecting the right text box.
This covers up the bottom toolbar of Atomic Web, making it difficult to use in some situations.

pooryou
May 7, 2010, 04:50 PM
Is it possible for this browser to support AutoFill?

Julien
May 7, 2010, 05:45 PM
Is it possible for this browser to support AutoFill?

I would pay $10 for a version that integrated 1Password ;)

sbaishya
May 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
I would pay $10 for a version that integrated 1Password ;)

I'll be preordering my iPad soon (I'm in the UK), and I'm looking forward to replacing Mobile Safari with Atomic Web Browser. A couple of things that would really be useful:

+1 for 1Password - the way this works with Safari is clunky

+1 for Xmarks - already sync my boomarks across computers with Xmarks, so I don't want to have to go to atomicwebbrowser.com and do a manual import

Does Atomic Web Browser support "open bookmarks in tabs", i.e. open a whole folder of bookmarks with a single click?

jjk454ss
May 9, 2010, 03:11 PM
+1 for 1Password

+1 for Xmarks

Same here

spectre51
May 9, 2010, 03:38 PM
Same here

Ditto

rhsauer
May 9, 2010, 11:08 PM
When you do a two finger zoom, the page tend to bounce back to a lesser zoom setting. Safari let's you specify the zoom that way with much more precision. In this regard, Safari's behavior is much more useful on the iPad.

sbaishya
May 10, 2010, 02:51 PM
+1 for 1Password - the way this works with Safari is clunky

+1 for Xmarks - already sync my boomarks across computers with Xmarks, so I don't want to have to go to atomicwebbrowser.com and do a manual import

Oh, and while we're at it, Delicious would be good too ;)

Shank2001
May 11, 2010, 04:23 AM
Okay here is a huge feature request. Can atomic web save the tabs every time a new one is opened when it is set to resume last session? There is nothing more frustrating than having atomic web crash on me and loosing all the tabs I had open when it crashed. It currently loses all tabs I opened since the last time I loaded it. The rest are still there. If it saved the current open tabs to the session list every time a tab is opened or closed, it would be sort of like crash recovery. Just a thought because atomic web really does crash quite often for me.

JNGold
May 11, 2010, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by AtomicBrowser;

+1 for option #2. On the iPad it is so much more convenient to have the controls on the bottom on the larger screen. It's one of the major reasons why I chose Atomic over other browsers (including Safari) on the iPad.

Also, I would also like to see some support for password management within the browser.

Petey-ed
May 12, 2010, 07:42 PM
There should be a way to sync bookmarks from my atomic browser on my iPad to my iPhone, vic-versa

patp
May 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
Latest update is available now.

Petey-ed
May 13, 2010, 09:54 PM
New close tab icons kinda suck. Make them exactly like safari. Also the resolution of the bookmark icon looks...off.

I love this app though! It's really making the iPad more usable from a browser standpoint. I think apple should take something away from your app, but honestly I think they have too much pride to change safari now or in 4.0.

gwynne
May 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
Agree about the huge X's being jarring, but otherwise no problems so far in about 45 mins of browsing and posting. Love this 99c app so much.

fishepa
May 13, 2010, 10:26 PM
Great update, keep em coming!

GoCubsGo
May 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
I closed the tab myself. 5 minutes to wait for it to do something was long enough. And yes, it works in safari. I also noticed when my cursor disappears i go to select text in a field like here on MR and it selects the form window, I'm unable to get the cursor back. Very annoying.

Looks like the above is a problem that is more of an annoyance than ever. I'm ditching Atomic for now (and moving to icab) but it's a nice browser minus the bug.

Julien
May 14, 2010, 06:50 AM
Reload pages where left off is a nice addition. Also like the Bookmarks opening where left off.

Now if we could only get 1Password integration and Xmarks syncing it would be near complete.

gwynne
May 14, 2010, 09:49 AM
Looks like the above is a problem that is more of an annoyance than ever. I'm ditching Atomic for now (and moving to icab) but it's a nice browser minus the bug.

I don't get your tab issue, but I do still get the text field problem, and yeah it's irritating.

flipangle
May 14, 2010, 11:36 AM
I really like Atomic Browser. Also downloaded iCab. Can't decide which one I like better though. It seems that Atomic Browser may be slightly faster, maybe. The iCab UI is prettier. Atomic browser doesn't have bookmark bar but I like the way bookmarks are handled better.

Julien
May 14, 2010, 12:27 PM
Reload pages where left off is a nice addition...

Noticed that it auto updates the pages when you restart (Safari style). Is there a way to disable so that it just reloads where you were and not update the pages?

stephg
May 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
I read about this and downloaded it last night. I really wanted the tabs more than anything. I hate the way Safari on iPad works. Thanks for making a reasonably priced browser with great features. The only thing I've run into is some times I don't get the popup that lets me open a link in a new tab. I'm not sure if it's me or the app.

AJsAWiz
May 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
I really like Atomic Browser. Also downloaded iCab. Can't decide which one I like better though. It seems that Atomic Browser may be slightly faster, maybe. The iCab UI is prettier. Atomic browser doesn't have bookmark bar but I like the way bookmarks are handled better.

Didn't know iCab was out. I've been using Atomic Web on iPad. And I use Opera Mini and Atomic Web on my iPhone. Guess I'll have to take a look at iCab too :)

Wish I could designate a default browser other than Safari, on both devices. Links always open on Safari :(:confused:

AJsAWiz
May 14, 2010, 11:49 PM
I read about this and downloaded it last night. I really wanted the tabs more than anything. I hate the way Safari on iPad works. Thanks for making a reasonably priced browser with great features. The only thing I've run into is some times I don't get the popup that lets me open a link in a new tab. I'm not sure if it's me or the app.

Must be the app . . . I have the same problem.

Ipadfiend
May 15, 2010, 01:15 AM
I can't even open my atomic after updating. It crashes on startup. Anyone else?

p-rice
May 15, 2010, 01:22 AM
New update is great. Browsing the web seems a bit faster and I like the new x button on the tabs.

BTW....

Here's a bug I found. I can't login into my router settings page. The login popup doesnt seem to appear. Loading indicator tells me something is loading but stalls. This however works in Safari.

Here's the details of my router:
Wrt54gv3
Dd-wrt firmware v24

wenneker
May 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know if Atomic can open links to PDF files? I tapped on a link to a PDF file this morning and there was no reaction. I opened the same link in Safari and was able to view the file. Started using Atomic this week and like it so far :)

vw195
May 15, 2010, 11:42 AM
New update is great. Browsing the web seems a bit faster and I like the new x button on the tabs.

BTW....

Here's a bug I found. I can't login into my router settings page. The login popup doesnt seem to appear. Loading indicator tells me something is loading but stalls. This however works in Safari.

Here's the details of my router:
Wrt54gv3
Dd-wrt firmware v24

Me too !! There are other secure sites where the popup doesnt work as well buty I dont remember them

Julien
May 15, 2010, 12:27 PM
I emailed asking for the following features.

Open same pages without reloading them (like Safari does).

1Password support

Xmarks sync

Hopefully other will find these useful and take 2 minutes and email. Click here (http://atomicwebbrowser.com/) and then click the Contact tab.

GoCubsGo
May 15, 2010, 12:33 PM
I don't get your tab issue, but I do still get the text field problem, and yeah it's irritating.

Holy crap at least I'm not alone! I really thought this only affected me since everyone (including the dev) glossed over it.

sbaishya
May 17, 2010, 03:13 PM
I posted in the 1Password feature request forum about integration with browsers.

Unfortunately, the response suggests that due to other priorities this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Personally, I'd move from 1Password if another developer was prepared to do this.

It looks relatively simple (note: I'm not an iPhone developer, but I was a software developer a few years ago, so I have some idea of what might be involved.

For an idea of how it might work, have a look at what Smile On My Mac have done with the iPhone version of TextExpander: http://www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander/touch/sdk.html

So, now we just need to find a willing developer who will produce an SDK for their product!

PatrickRS
May 17, 2010, 03:23 PM
I posted in the 1Password feature request forum about integration with browsers.

Unfortunately, the response suggests that due to other priorities this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Personally, I'd move from 1Password if another developer was prepared to do this.

It looks relatively simple (note: I'm not an iPhone developer, but I was a software developer a few years ago, so I have some idea of what might be involved.

For an idea of how it might work, have a look at what Smile On My Mac have done with the iPhone version of TextExpander: http://www.smileonmymac.com/TextExpander/touch/sdk.html

So, now we just need to find a willing developer who will produce an SDK for their product!

I don't have any issue with making things better, or supporting 1Password, but my concern is... why that particular program? There are a bunch of similar ones available (I use SplashID). What merits special attention to one in particular?

sbaishya
May 17, 2010, 03:49 PM
I don't have any issue with making things better, or supporting 1Password, but my concern is... why that particular program? There are a bunch of similar ones available (I use SplashID). What merits special attention to one in particular?

For me, it's the fact that it has a desktop version with browser integration, so I can use one solution across Mac, iPhone, iPad etc.

Just a thought on another approach that could work. 1Password can export to a Safari bookmarklet which when clicked opens a popup asking for an authorisation code, it then decrypts the appropriate login details, fills the form and submits it. This bookmarklet doesn't work in Atomic. It doesn't survive the export/import cycle from Safari intact, and if I copy/paste it from Safari it still doesn't work, but this could be an easier approach for integration.

sbaishya
May 22, 2010, 02:35 AM
Just spotted this jailbreak app: OpenOpera: New SBSettings Toggle To Set OperaMini As Your Default Browser (http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/openopera-sbsettings-toggle-set-operamini-default-browser)

I've emailed the developer to see if he could make it work for Atomic.

GoCubsGo
May 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
Just spotted this jailbreak app: OpenOpera: New SBSettings Toggle To Set OperaMini As Your Default Browser (http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/openopera-sbsettings-toggle-set-operamini-default-browser)

I've emailed the developer to see if he could make it work for Atomic.
I wouldn't use OperaMini ever.

sbaishya
May 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't use OperaMini ever.

Me neither, but hopefully what the developer has done for Opera he can do for Atomic, i.e. you click a link in any other app and it opens in Atomic instead of Safari.

sbaishya
May 24, 2010, 11:59 AM
Me neither, but hopefully what the developer has done for Opera he can do for Atomic, i.e. you click a link in any other app and it opens in Atomic instead of Safari.

Developer has now updated this. The app is in Cydia and is called Browser Changer. You can use it to set Atomic as your default browser!

zvandiver
May 24, 2010, 12:53 PM
Browser Changer is awesome!
The first time I tried it, it didn't seem to work. Then I realized that I had to set my browser in Settings and turn on Browser Changer in SBsettings.
Works like a charm on my iPad.
Many thanks to the developer.

ScottFitz
May 24, 2010, 01:01 PM
Atomic is leaving me underwhelmed. Going back to Safari. I wish the dev well. Hopefully, he'll get the bugs out at some point.

JNGold
May 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
Atomic is leaving me underwhelmed. Going back to Safari. I wish the dev well. Hopefully, he'll get the bugs out at some point.

Really? Wow. I use the Atomic as my primary browser everyday and with the exception of some very rare crashes, I find Atomic pretty much one of the most robust browser options available.

In the other iCab vs Atomic thread, I have seen at least a couple of comments stating "bugs", but were really just people unfamiliar with how to customize the Atomic to work better for their needs.

gwynne
May 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
I'm finding that I use all three browsers for different things, which itself is kind of irritating. Mostly Atomic for now.

(This is kind of dumb/lazy of me, but anyone know why iCab keeps defaulting to some kind of offline/cached mode for pages?)

ScottFitz
May 24, 2010, 06:42 PM
Really? Wow. I use the Atomic as my primary browser everyday and with the exception of some very rare crashes, I find Atomic pretty much one of the most robust browser options available.

In the other iCab vs Atomic thread, I have seen at least a couple of comments stating "bugs", but were really just people unfamiliar with how to customize the Atomic to work better for their needs.

I liked the tabs and gestures but the lack of a cursor in text windows and in many text windows, I just can't get the keyboard to open. That's a deal breaker for me. I gave them my dollar gladly. Happy to support the efforts. I just don't it's better than safari.

I will still use it on two sites where I want to change browser identity.

satter
May 24, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm probably just overlooking a setting, but is there a way to make Atomic behave like Safari in that when I tap in the address bar and start typing, it will auto clear whatever address was previously in there?

GoCubsGo
May 24, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm finding that I use all three browsers for different things, which itself is kind of irritating. Mostly Atomic for now.

(This is kind of dumb/lazy of me, but anyone know why iCab keeps defaulting to some kind of offline/cached mode for pages?)

I don't know but I am not sure what is worse, iCab doing that or Atomic erasing my form data for whatever reason as I type it is. Both are like a flaky friend full of empty promises. I'm going back to Safari.

JNGold
May 24, 2010, 11:14 PM
I don't know but I am not sure what is worse, iCab doing that or Atomic erasing my form data for whatever reason as I type it is. Both are like a flaky friend full of empty promises. I'm going back to Safari.

I have never seen that happen before. Can u give specific instances? I have Atomic set to be desktop Safari.

tacoshell
May 25, 2010, 11:41 AM
When I search using the bar, it shows all the options for search, but I want to be able to just set it to Google and get the 'suggestions' These really help on the iPad. Is there way to do this?

doug in albq
May 26, 2010, 06:00 PM

I like Atomic Web Browser much better than iCab. It just seems more user friendly.

And as you have pointed out, time and time again, it is not perfect (is any piece of software?), but instead of extensively focusing on the negatives as you have chose to do, I will only point out that very few apps in the iTunes apps store continue to hold a 4 out of 5 star rating, yet Atomic does.

Instead of listening to your individual loud voice, I will trust the over 1,500 reviews at iTunes, thanks.

I am sure you will have a reply, I cannot wait.................

JoseLeal
Jun 1, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hi, I moved safari off the dock and replaced it with Atomic.

Here are some suggestions for next version:

1. I would like options to open links for "normal", "background tab" or "ask" with only tap not hold. This option is essential for me ;)

2.In bookmarks popup possibility to open several websites simultaneously not close the popup for each one.

3. I wish you could implement a startup screen with options to load homepage, bookmarks in folder, last session... not always I want start with the same option.

Thanks for a great app.

HXGuy
Jun 3, 2010, 11:15 AM
A bug I've ran into a lot lately is that the page loading status bar does not disappear once a page has loaded...it just sits on the screen even though the bar is full. Even if I press the stop icon next to it, it still doesn't go away.

reiichiroh
Jun 3, 2010, 11:20 AM
I get that a lot, the progress bar sticking at the end. It starts happening after I load a few pages.

Also, some vbulletin reply forms are completely grayed out (like on www.quartertothree.com/game-talk) after I login. Works fine in Safari but not Atomic for some reason.

JustinTime4Tea
Oct 19, 2010, 04:53 PM
The problem I'm reporting is apparently residing (so far) only while viewing google.com/voice specifically when viewing my contacts. I have over 400 contacts and I use google voice for all my calls VoIPing on my iPad. When I view my google contacts using my default user string (safari desktop) I can see my contacts (unlike other user agents besides s-desktop and firefox3) but I am unable to scroll through my contacts. I can input a letter to try and work around by only viewing the names starting with that letter but most of the time there's still too many to be seen without scrolling. As I write this it dawned on my to try the vertical position to view more contacts but I still won't be able to scroll through them. On a lighter side I would like to say I am very much enjoying your browser and all of it's potential it has brought my iPad. Thank you for this wonderful piece of software and I'll be staying tuned to the forums! Kudos!!! :D

JustinTime4Tea
Oct 19, 2010, 05:04 PM
While viewing my contacts I proceeded to SMS message one of them. The first message worked perfectly. Little box poped up, entered my message, away it went. Upon sending another message I was stuck at the pop up part. My keyboard still pops up but I am unable to type in the message box. Tried tapping the box, exiting and refreshing. No such luck. I have to shut-down atomic browser and re-open each message. Darn google and it's messy programming! Lol we need a web dev standard that has everything every dev wants so we can all play nice and have our apps all function out of the box... Too bad we'll never see just one code. Again LOVE the app. kudos again!:)

Ps: I think googles using html4 and XML? Not sure if this helps? Also when i rotate iPad must refresh to extend contacts borders. Probably another html4/XML issue. I'm guessing once loaded the site doesn't change or update withou user input.