PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Web Browser now supports the iPad

Pages : [1] 2

AtomicBrowser
Apr 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
http://atomicwebbrowser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipadSettingsSmall_thumb2.png

Hi All, Apple just approved the latest version of my browser which includes iPad support. I made it a universal iPhone/iPod/iPad app so those who previously bought the browser can upgrade for free.

Here are the highlights:

Desktop Style Tabs
MuliTouch Gestures
Private Mode
Rotation Lock
Find in Page
Editable Search Engines
Share link with Facebook & Twitter
Full Screen View
Adblock
Save page for offline viewing
Identfy as IE/Firefox/Safari Desktop.
Passcode Protection.
View Page source
Restore last page, session, homepage or blank page on startup

You can find it here iTunes Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atomic-web-browser/id347929410?mt=8).

Kahnyl
Apr 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
Just out of curiosity - while developing this, have you run into any issues with keeping more than three tabs in memory at one time like Safari?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 12, 2010, 12:47 PM
Just out of curiosity - while developing this, have you run into any issues with keeping more than three tabs in memory at one time like Safari?

No, although to be fair, I haven't noticed an issue with Safari on my iPad either. All approved third party browsers use the same rendering engine as Safari so if the problem exists with Safari, it most likely will exist with the third party web browsers.

nippyjun
Apr 12, 2010, 01:04 PM
This looks great. I'll pick it up later today.

One question, does this have the option for a bookmarks bar?

Another question. Do the tabs stay present once the app is closed? EDIT: I think this answers this question "# Restore last page, session, homepage or blank page on startup"

Thanks.

http://atomicwebbrowser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ipadSettingsSmall_thumb2.png

Hi All, Apple just approved the latest version of my browser which includes iPad support. I made it a universal iPhone/iPod/iPad app so those who previously bought the browser can upgrade for free.

Here are the highlights:

Desktop Style Tabs
MuliTouch Gestures
Private Mode
Rotation Lock
Find in Page
Editable Search Engines
Share link with Facebook & Twitter
Full Screen View
Adblock
Save page for offline viewing
Identfy as IE/Firefox/Safari Desktop.
Passcode Protection.
View Page source
Restore last page, session, homepage or blank page on startup

You can find it here iTunes Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atomic-web-browser/id347929410?mt=8).

jim2011
Apr 12, 2010, 02:13 PM
I was wondering if the tabs auto-update.

What I would like to do is keep GMail open in one tab while browsing the net in another. Will the GMail tab update and tell me when someone sends me a message like it does for desktop browsers like IE, Firefox, and Chrome?

ClaireL
Apr 12, 2010, 02:56 PM
I was interested in this last week, I think I will buy it because I like the tab features.

y2flyy
Apr 12, 2010, 02:57 PM
Great browser! I purchased and tested. I have to say this may be the first non-apple browser I will use as default. Ive brought a ton of 3rd party on the iPhone and all have disappointed and I just went back to Safari.
Great job on this app! Keep u the good work!
By the way I downloaded the iPad version

lily69
Apr 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
Are page back/forward gestures supported?

lily69
Apr 12, 2010, 03:16 PM
OK, I just went ahead and bought it. Full screen mode is very cool.
2 finger swipe back/forward works but quite difficult to be registered (pinch zoom will kick in).
Hope there is a way to disbale pinch zoom or maybe 3 finger swipe back/backward like Macbook Air does.

dhy8386
Apr 12, 2010, 03:32 PM
I purchased earlier today as well and for those that have it, id be curious if extended testing resulted in the problems I had. A few pages froze on me and i had to exit the app - totally frozen. On the macrumors site for example, i could not get the pop up that allows you to open a link in a tab to work for the iPad main forum. Just wouldnt do it. Found this to be the case for many other sites. No order to it , just random. Its pretty fast albeit not as fast as safari but we are splitting hairs on that...

No option for favorites toolbar (would be a nice option. I also think there could be better use of the screen real estate in normal mode (although it does provide a host of options for full screen mode that rectify this).

AtomicBrowser
Apr 12, 2010, 04:16 PM
OK, I just went ahead and bought it. Full screen mode is very cool.
2 finger swipe back/forward works but quite difficult to be registered (pinch zoom will kick in).
Hope there is a way to disbale pinch zoom or maybe 3 finger swipe back/backward like Macbook Air does.

I looked into a 3 finger swipe but it will still enable the zoom in/ zoom out feature. I'll see what i can do about adding an option to disable it.

lily69
Apr 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
Ok, I can customize full screen tool bar so I just place 2 back button on each side, problem solved. No gesture is need.

I do find on tiny bug(more like inconvenience thing), tab close button in full screen mode is too sensitive, so it may accidentally close 2 recent tabs, also, the fiirst tab shouldn't be closed by default. Maybe 1 second delay after a closing click sounds better?

EDIT: a real bug found. Go to this page, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890963&page=107 , post #2653, there is a bestbuy link does work in Safari but not working in micro web.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 12, 2010, 06:41 PM
Ok, I can customize full screen tool bar so I just place 2 back button on each side, problem solved. No gesture is need.

I do find on tiny bug(more like inconvenience thing), tab close button in full screen mode is too sensitive, so it may accidentally close 2 recent tabs, also, the fiirst tab shouldn't be closed by default. Maybe 1 second delay after a closing click sounds better?

EDIT: a real bug found. Go to this page, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890963&page=107 , post #2653, there is a bestbuy link does work in Safari but not working in micro web.

Thanks for a link. That bug is quite interesting. The site works on the iPhone but not the iPad. I'll try to get a fix in the next version.

lily69
Apr 12, 2010, 07:58 PM
After hours of using, I'd highly recommended this browser. Some features are really useful and easy.
With Ads filter is on, it's much faster than Safari too. Now I love my iPad more! Best $0.99 spent (oh and goodReader of course) :D

dhy8386
Apr 12, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hmmm. Can someone please try to open the iPad forum or the apps forum in a new tab? Does it work? I keep hooding down the link but nothing happens. This happens on a bunch of random links i tried. Any ideas?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 12, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hmmm. Can someone please try to open the iPad forum or the apps forum in a new tab? Does it work? I keep hooding down the link but nothing happens. This happens on a bunch of random links i tried. Any ideas?

Hi dhy8386, I see the same behavior as you. It will be better the next version.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 01:08 AM
Some very nice features...Safari could learn a thing or two from this App. I love the full page view plus the waynthe tabs are done. The find in webpage feature is also great. Having the buttons at the bottom is also genius and vie made a couple posts on this before how I wished Safari was like this...it just makes sense when holding the iPad so you don't have to reach across the screen.

There are a couple things that would make it a little better in my opinion plus a couple bugs.

Would be great to have the auto suggestions when searching Google like Safari does so you don't have to type out your whole search. I would prefer that over the list of different search engines.

I would also like the option to change the size of the quick buttons at the bottom...they are a bit too small and you have to really focus to press them precisely.

I like the 3 finger tap to exit full screen mode...would it be possible to also do the same to activate full screen? Or maybe a double 3 finger tap?

A few bugs I ran across...

As others have said, the multi-touch gestures are very hard to activate and don't work too well. It takes multiple tries to get it to work.

My cursor sometimes disappears when typing (like this reply) and it wouldn't let me hold down to make the magnifying glass appear...it kept wanting to highlight all the text in the window. Had to press back then click reply again to start over.

Seems a little unresponsive sometimes when touching the URL field to type in a new address. I'll pay closer attention to this and see if it keeps happening.

I highly recommend this App though, very very nice.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 01:37 AM
To follow up...I am having problems with the responsiveness when trying to type a new URL. I have to sometimes press 3-4 times before the keyboard pops up.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 02:30 AM
One more thing...

The zoom doesn't allow you to go quite as close in comparison to Safari...for example try to zoom here on the forums in both browsers. While Atomic will zoom, it then bounces back out while Safari stays zoomed in.

It s nice to be able to super zoom when you are dealing with small links such as the thread page numbers.

reiichiroh
Apr 13, 2010, 03:24 AM
Is there a method of quick scrolling like mercury's hyper scroll bar?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 13, 2010, 10:13 AM
To follow up...I am having problems with the responsiveness when trying to type a new URL. I have to sometimes press 3-4 times before the keyboard pops up.

Thanks for narrowing it down. I'll do some comparisons with Safari and see if i can improve the responsiveness.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
Is there a method of quick scrolling like mercury's hyper scroll bar?

You can add a jump to the bottom button or gesture. However, there is no quick scroll feature like mercury or perfect browser. This is on the todo list but is currently a low priority as I don't get many requests for it.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 13, 2010, 10:17 AM
Some very nice features...Safari could learn a thing or two from this App. I love the full page view plus the waynthe tabs are done. The find in webpage feature is also great. Having the buttons at the bottom is also genius and vie made a couple posts on this before how I wished Safari was like this...it just makes sense when holding the iPad so you don't have to reach across the screen.

There are a couple things that would make it a little better in my opinion plus a couple bugs.

Would be great to have the auto suggestions when searching Google like Safari does so you don't have to type out your whole search. I would prefer that over the list of different search engines.

I would also like the option to change the size of the quick buttons at the bottom...they are a bit too small and you have to really focus to press them precisely.

I like the 3 finger tap to exit full screen mode...would it be possible to also do the same to activate full screen? Or maybe a double 3 finger tap?

A few bugs I ran across...

As others have said, the multi-touch gestures are very hard to activate and don't work too well. It takes multiple tries to get it to work.

My cursor sometimes disappears when typing (like this reply) and it wouldn't let me hold down to make the magnifying glass appear...it kept wanting to highlight all the text in the window. Had to press back then click reply again to start over.

Seems a little unresponsive sometimes when touching the URL field to type in a new address. I'll pay closer attention to this and see if it keeps happening.

I highly recommend this App though, very very nice.

Regarding the double swipe gestures. I require them to be about 60% of the screen length before they register to avoid false swipes. Do you think if It would help if I made the motion shorter?

ClaireL
Apr 13, 2010, 10:55 AM
Your browser IMHO is the BEST iPad browser currently, it leaves Safari in the dust. I do miss the Safari jump to the top of the page when I tap the very top of the screen, I don't see that feature in Atomic.

Anyway fantastic browser!

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 10:57 AM
Regarding the double swipe gestures. I require them to be about 60% of the screen length before they register to avoid false swipes. Do you think if It would help if I made the motion shorter?

Aha! That does work better...I didn't know the swipe had to be so long. I do think it would be better if they were shorter as it's not very comfortable to swipe that long when laying down in bed.

One other thing I ran across is that YouTube doesn't work right when in Desktop Safari mode (it tries to play the Flash version)...it works ok in Mobile Safari version but then other sites display the mobile version which is annoying (like Facebook).

Would it be possible to emulate how Safari handles it where it launches the YouTube app?

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 10:59 AM
Your browser IMHO is the BEST iPad browser currently, it leaves Safari in the dust. I do miss the Safari jump to the top of the page when I tap the very top of the screen, I don't see that feature in Atomic.

You can add a button for Go to Top when browsing in Full Screen mode...even for Go to Bottom.

LSUtigers03
Apr 13, 2010, 11:16 AM

In the settings you can have the status bar show up when you're in full screen and you get the same jump to the top feature or you can add jump to the top as one of the buttons while in full screen.

ClaireL
Apr 13, 2010, 11:16 AM
Thank you!! :)

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 11:28 AM
Is there anything that can be done to make Google Docs work better?

I was able to edit my spreadsheet that I had previously created but I cant scroll down or to the right, it only shows me what fits on the screen. (in Safari I am able to scroll around the spreadsheet)

I was able to create a new spreadsheet and that worked ok and while I could start a new word processing document, the keyboard would not pop up for me to type.

nsdjoe
Apr 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
One question, does this have the option for a bookmarks bar?

Bump for this question. Are the tabs at the expense of a bookmarks bar?

Enori
Apr 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wow, this app is great!
I love tabs view and opening tabs in background. Little deal breakers for me are: reloading sites when I close browser (it definetly slows my workflow, could this be eliminated with an update?) and very annoying bug with popup to open link not appearing, that was mentioned before. It also would be nice if this popup would appear below the link, like in safari, not on the bottom of browser. Thanks for good work!

Oh, and one more thing, it would be great if icon could be more friendly;p something like blue and white, it would match apps in dock like mail.

H00513R
Apr 13, 2010, 03:24 PM
Can't wait to get home and try this out.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
Aha! That does work better...I didn't know the swipe had to be so long. I do think it would be better if they were shorter as it's not very comfortable to swipe that long when laying down in bed.

One other thing I ran across is that YouTube doesn't work right when in Desktop Safari mode (it tries to play the Flash version)...it works ok in Mobile Safari version but then other sites display the mobile version which is annoying (like Facebook).

Would it be possible to emulate how Safari handles it where it launches the YouTube app?

I'm glad to hear it is working better with longer swipes. I'll add a swipes length option to my todo list.

Unfortunately, There is nothing i can do about youtube. Since the site thinks the browser is a desktop version it changes the content to embeded flash which the device doesn't support.

Out of curiosity does HX refer to the HX Seadoo model?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
Bump for this question. Are the tabs at the expense of a bookmarks bar?

I chose not to implement a bookmark bar to save screen space and I didn't think many people would want that feature. I was wrong as i'm getting many requests:)

A bookmark bar option will be added to my growing todo list.

Wow, this app is great!
I love tabs view and opening tabs in background. Little deal breakers for me are: reloading sites when I close browser (it definetly slows my workflow, could this be eliminated with an update?) and very annoying bug with popup to open link not appearing, that was mentioned before. It also would be nice if this popup would appear below the link, like in safari, not on the bottom of browser. Thanks for good work!

Unfortunately there is no way that I know of to save the state of a webview. The tabs will have to be reloaded on startup until OS 4.0 comes out with multitasking. The reason Safari doesn't reload the tabs on startup is because it doesn't actually close when you leave the app.

Oh, and one more thing, it would be great if icon could be more friendly;p something like blue and white, it would match apps in dock like mail.

To be honest I hate the logo. I brought up the subject of a logo change in the Facebook fan page and they all wanted keep it. What does everyone else thing of the logo?

bpd115
Apr 13, 2010, 05:35 PM
Any chance to turn on and off the popup blocker or am I missing something?

Enori
Apr 13, 2010, 05:51 PM
Oh, I understand.
I'm suprised that people like this logo, it looks more like satanists guide to taking over the world app than a nice web browser that it is.
What do you think about transforming window with bookmarks to a popup like in Safari? I dont like that it's covering whole screen.
You can also make three finger tap to work as a full screen on/off, not only for closing full screen.
Best regards, Tomek

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
I'm glad to hear it is working better with longer swipes. I'll add a swipes length option to my todo list.

Unfortunately, There is nothing i can do about youtube. Since the site thinks the browser is a desktop version it changes the content to embeded flash which the device doesn't support.

Out of curiosity does HX refer to the HX Seadoo model?

How does Safari make the YouTube thing work and would you be able to copy what they did?

Enori had a good idea about the bookmarks and making them appear as a popover (like how you have the mini settings menu that pops up)...would would be great for bookmarks.

Also, any word on if you will be able to allow the the 3 finger tab to also enable full screen? That would allow people to use one of the bottom buttons for another function.

And the HX refers to an old car of mine, a Civic HX.

gillybean
Apr 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
Can you get Atomic Web Browser to support Flash & Java?

ClaireL
Apr 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
I don't hate the logo but it's not the best I have seen. Would love another colored logo with a different style.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 13, 2010, 08:24 PM
Any chance to turn on and off the popup blocker or am I missing something?

Popup support needs to be implemented. Depending on my schedule, "some" support may make it into the next release.

What do you think about transforming window with bookmarks to a popup like in Safari? I dont like that it's covering whole screen. You can also make three finger tap to work as a full screen on/off, not only for closing full screen.

Both of these have been implemented and will be in the next version.

How does Safari make the YouTube thing work and would you be able to copy what they did?.

Safari on your PC or Mac has flash support. The iPhone does not. This is why YouTube changes the content when it detects Mobile Safari.

Can you get Atomic Web Browser to support Flash & Java?

I'm sorry, I can't implement these without using private APIs which apple will not allow.

HXGuy
Apr 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
Safari on your PC or Mac has flash support. The iPhone does not. This is why YouTube changes the content when it detects Mobile Safari.

No no...I meant Safari on the iPad. When using Safari on the iPad, if you click on a YouTube link, it launches the YouTube app automatically and you can view the video. Would it be possible to make your browser work like that?

One other thing...are you able to change the zoom feature to work like in Safari (allowing for a lot more zoom vs what is allowed now in Atomic?)

Also...there is another discussion on your browser here, check it out:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9659423&posted=1#post9659423

PS. When do you anticipate the update to be available for the features you mentioned as being in the next version? Thanks.

aaquib
Apr 13, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the browser, just bought it today. Great job, I'm loving it!

My only request would of course be adding a bookmarks bar which you've already said to have implemented :)

Any idea on when the next version will be released? It's incredible the way your browser saves all my tabs without the need to reload.

bpd115
Apr 13, 2010, 08:45 PM
Popup support needs to be implemented. Depending on my schedule, "some" support may make it into the next release.

Thanks. My wife uses a website for work (iepwriter.com) which needs pop ups to log in. She can log in with Safari but the site, which unfortunately looks to be last updated when Geocities was all the rage, won't scroll reports she needs to edit in Safari. It does work on full blown PC Safari though.

I was hoping your browser would handle this site better for her.

Barham
Apr 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
Great browser! Really impressive.

I'd like to second the question about Google Documents. With the user agent set to desktop, we can get to an editable page, but a touch won't invoke the cursor to edit. Is this something that can be addressed by what you are able to do in the browser? It would be huge if it could be done.

Also I support a change in the logo. I think the earlier comment about satanist world domination is pretty accurate. For other apps I notice a lot of blue or silverish backgrounds. Maybe just a red outline of the globe on a silver background ala Tweetie for iPhone?

aaquib
Apr 13, 2010, 09:40 PM
Great browser! Really impressive.

I'd like to second the question about Google Documents. With the user agent set to desktop, we can get to an editable page, but a touch won't invoke the cursor to edit. Is this something that can be addressed by what you are able to do in the browser? It would be huge if it could be done.

Also I support a change in the logo. I think the earlier comment about satanist world domination is pretty accurate. For other apps I notice a lot of blue or silverish backgrounds. Maybe just a red outline of the globe on a silver background ala Tweetie for iPhone?

This. I would love seeing a logo redesign. The current logo just doesn't sit well with my apps on my home screen.

Barham
Apr 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
Had a look at the logo again and I would add one thing to my comment earlier. I think that the globe overpowers the icon, it's just a bit too large for the space allotted.

Also an additional suggestion: Is it possible to make the tabs movable so that they could be arranged similar to desktop Safari behavior?

Spybreak
Apr 14, 2010, 08:54 AM
I bought the browser yesterday on a whim after reading it had real tabs and I've been mostly impressed. However I think there is room to improve:

- the bottom bar takes way too much space. I think you could probably implement all those functions on the top bar as a button that opens up (Like the way you get to the settings right now) or simply as separate buttons, taking some space away from the URL bar which is actually way too long as it is.

- the browser freezes up on some websites. I have been able to constantly reproduce it on the SA forums (forums.somethingawful.com) by opening up a thread on a new tab or as a background tab. If you could fix that I would use the browser full-time.

- The icons are ugly. Take a look at how safari's icons blend with the background. Make them less vibrant or simply a dark overlay over whatever theme you are using. I'm talking about the bookmarks, close tab and fullscreen mode icons. The ones on the bottom look more or less how they should. The more consistency the better. I see you already know about the app icon itself so nothing to add there :)

- I wish you could implement a quick "open common bookmarks" function. This is something that exists on desktop safari. You basically group several bookmarks in a folder and when middle clicking on it all of the bookmarks open up in different tabs. Maybe get it as a tap and hold gesture over a bookmark folder?

- I agree about the forward and back gestures. A smaller trigger length or maybe just being able to adjust it would be nice. How about a three finger swipe left and right to avoid triggering the pinch zoom when moving from one tab to another? That should work I think.

As a whole, this browser shows lots of promise and it's the first third party browser app i have even considered using. Please keep up the good work on it :)

iChan
Apr 14, 2010, 11:35 AM
Just bought this app.

Works great. Well done!

Some constructive criticisms are:

The UI is very loose.
For Example:

The color changes are hokey. (Tabs don't change color - get rid of the colour feature IMO)
Bottom-icons are inconsistent in size & design.
Text in address/search field are mis-v-aligned.

I would like to see:

More Multi-touch configuration. (3-finger tap toggles fullscreen)
Bookmark is popover instead of modal view.
Smaller swipe for 2-finger gestures.

5/5 for functionality.
2/5 for polish.

Solid 3.5 overall. Add the things above and I'd have no hesitation giving 5/5.

UCF Sam
Apr 14, 2010, 02:48 PM
Is it possible to build in a split screen mode to have 2 tabs open side by side like some of the other browsers? Would be another killer feature.

mojoxp
Apr 14, 2010, 09:11 PM

Couldn't you just use the user agent string from iPad Safari?

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10

H00513R
Apr 15, 2010, 08:40 AM
5/5 for functionality.
2/5 for polish.

Solid 3.5 overall. Add the things above and I'd have no hesitation giving 5/5.

I don't know why (maybe not enough coffee this morning?), but I kept wondering why you were talking about it being Polish. :D

dr34mc4st3r
Apr 15, 2010, 09:36 AM
hello. nice app. but some minor complaints.

1. the horizontal scrollbar (when using finger to scroll) is not all the way to the right side

2. sometimes the horizontal keyboard does not shows up properly in horizontal orientation. it shows up the vertical one indeed.

multitouch is a nice touch i must say.

awaiting more updates!!

Fedorov
Apr 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
Bought this today, nice to have a decent tab browser that does it properly, full screen is nice, quite impressed with it so far and as long as it keeps getting updates/fixes and a better icon I think this one could become very popular.

dr34mc4st3r
Apr 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
if the developer is listening, some more thoughts after using Atomic Web for another day:

1. doesn't seemed to save cookies? e.g. google calendar have to login everytime i enter the site

2. the font size saving for site is dodgy at best. inconsistent. for eg try save for a website, then u exit and re-enter app. font size different. when you try to change font size it seemed to jump up/down a level or two. a bit hard to explain but its just inconsistent

H00513R
Apr 16, 2010, 09:14 AM
Downloaded it last night and really like it so far. I dig the lower left navigation.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 16, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hi, this is the first I heard of issue 2. I'll have to add it to my bug list. Are you using an iphone or ipad? Do you happen to remember if it occurs on a particular site?

hello. nice app. but some minor complaints.

1. the horizontal scrollbar (when using finger to scroll) is not all the way to the right side

2. sometimes the horizontal keyboard does not shows up properly in horizontal orientation. it shows up the vertical one indeed.

multitouch is a nice touch i must say.

awaiting more updates!!

AtomicBrowser
Apr 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
if the developer is listening, some more thoughts after using Atomic Web for another day:

1. doesn't seemed to save cookies? e.g. google calendar have to login everytime i enter the site

2. the font size saving for site is dodgy at best. inconsistent. for eg try save for a website, then u exit and re-enter app. font size different. when you try to change font size it seemed to jump up/down a level or two. a bit hard to explain but its just inconsistent

i'm back now. Was out of town for 2 days but am back and will be more responsive :)

The font jumping a level is fixed for the next version. Although I haven't noticed a problem with saving the font. What web site does this occur on?
The font doesn't change until a webpage completes loading. Are you trying to change the font before it finishes?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
OK I cave on the Icon. I wanted to keep the original customers who liked the icon happy as their loyalty is important. However, I have been getting way too many complaints. Does anyone have a suggestion on what the new icon should look like?

H00513R
Apr 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
OK I cave on the Icon. I wanted to keep the original customers who liked the icon happy as their loyalty is important. However, I have been getting way too many complaints. Does anyone have a suggestion on what the new icon should look like?

It's a generic icon but not bad in the least. If they leave you over an icon then I say they weren't real customers! Maybe they just want a Michael Bay inspired atomic explosion for an icon?

dhy8386
Apr 16, 2010, 03:34 PM

What do you think of this...

AJsAWiz
Apr 16, 2010, 03:37 PM
Just bought this . . . Love it!

ct2k7
Apr 16, 2010, 03:37 PM

I think blue is a better colour, and, maybe a world in the middle?

AJsAWiz
Apr 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

Don't know what AtomicBrowser thinks but I like that ;)

dhy8386
Apr 16, 2010, 03:44 PM
I think blue is a better colour, and, maybe a world in the middle?

Or...

ct2k7
Apr 16, 2010, 03:47 PM
Or...

That looks better - but then again - it all depends on what background you have on the iDevice :( I'll be keeping my background black.

UCF Sam
Apr 16, 2010, 08:04 PM
Or...

I like this one...

AtomicBrowser
Apr 16, 2010, 08:54 PM
Or...

I like the blue one.

dhy8386
Apr 16, 2010, 09:01 PM
Cool. Can give u the psd if u want. Let me know.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
Cool. Can give u the psd if u want. Let me know.

Sure thanks!

ClaireL
Apr 16, 2010, 09:25 PM
Love the Blue. :)

dhy8386
Apr 16, 2010, 11:24 PM
PSD attached.

I have been keeping tabs of bugs, comments, etc. however i have not been following too closely all the responses so I am thinking ill wait until you update the app and then see whats been fixed/updated.

Any idea when you are thinking about pushing an update?

fishepa
Apr 17, 2010, 06:56 AM
Is there anyway to open tab in the background? Like if there is a link on a webpage I want to look at but not at the current moment, usually in Safari I long click o n the link and it says something like open in second tab or something like that. I wish there was some feature like this for atomic browser.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 17, 2010, 07:17 AM
An update is coming soon. I don't like to mention exactly when because I have a few people trying to sabotage my ratings and I don't want to give a heads up.

Send me an email and i'll fill you in. Also I want to talk to you about finishing the icon(i'm willing to pay). I can't get the atom to look good when i shrink it to the ipad or iphone icon size.

PSD attached.

I have been keeping tabs of bugs, comments, etc. however i have not been following too closely all the responses so I am thinking ill wait until you update the app and then see whats been fixed/updated.

Any idea when you are thinking about pushing an update?

dhy8386
Apr 17, 2010, 07:18 AM
There already is. When you hold down link it asks you if you want to open tab in background. That will open tab but keep you focused on current tab

dhy8386
Apr 17, 2010, 09:02 AM
An update is coming soon. I don't like to mention exactly when because I have a few people trying to sabotage my ratings and I don't want to give a heads up.

Send me an email and i'll fill you in. Also I want to talk to you about finishing the icon(i'm willing to pay). I can't get the atom to look good when i shrink it to the ipad or iphone icon size.

He just sent you a PM. Take a look and get back to me.

HXGuy
Apr 17, 2010, 10:14 AM
Just wanted to chime back in and say how much I'm liking the two finger back/forward gestures...it took a little bit of getting used to but now I can't use it any other way.

ClaireL
Apr 17, 2010, 10:22 AM

Your settings prevent anyone from sending you an email so I sent you a PM.

TimothyB
Apr 17, 2010, 10:56 AM
An issue I've had is opening background tabs from the same page consecutively. Often it will open the last link or randomly pick the wrong one. Zooming in and out sometimes helps before each try. Just seems like once you open a background tab on a page, then the whole thing gets wonky, like the page doesn't refresh correctly where the proper links are as you scroll the page. First noticed it when I was a gizmodo and opened each story I was interested in as I scrolled down.

I like the swipe to change tabs, but the default directions were the opposite for me. I wanted to swipe left to get to a tab on the right, like moving a scrolling bar left to see more on the right. Luckily you made this easy to fix for the user with custom options. At default, with how it looks like you a moving the entire page to the right as you swipe right, you expect the page to continue right to then see the page to the left of it, instead it awkwardly jumps back to the left.

A few time when I've used the combo, two finger zoom and pan, resulted in accidentally closing the window with the two finger down swipe.

That new icon is a nice idea, especially with a globe at the center, but as is, even the blue one, won't work small. The lines are too thin and the smaller electron spheres will be lost, and hard to make out the globe. Overall not enough impact to catch your eye and would feel rushed. Might look more like a science app too. What if the globe was larger, or a glass like sphere with a compass inside to make it familiar like the safari icon, then electron lines glow over it. Maybe I could try a mockup too.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
Your settings prevent anyone from sending you an email so I sent you a PM.

Fixed. Thanks for letting me me know :)

An issue I've had is opening background tabs from the same page consecutively. Often it will open the last link or randomly pick the wrong one. Zooming in and out sometimes helps before each try. Just seems like once you open a background tab on a page, then the whole thing gets wonky, like the page doesn't refresh correctly where the proper links are as you scroll the page. First noticed it when I was a gizmodo and opened each story I was interested in as I scrolled down.

I like the swipe to change tabs, but the default directions were the opposite for me. I wanted to swipe left to get to a tab on the right, like moving a scrolling bar left to see more on the right. Luckily you made this easy to fix for the user with custom options. At default, with how it looks like you a moving the entire page to the right as you swipe right, you expect the page to continue right to then see the page to the left of it, instead it awkwardly jumps back to the left.

A few time when I've used the combo, two finger zoom and pan, resulted in accidentally closing the window with the two finger down swipe.

That new icon is a nice idea, especially with a globe at the center, but as is, even the blue one, won't work small. The lines are too thin and the smaller electron spheres will be lost, and hard to make out the globe. Overall not enough impact to catch your eye and would feel rushed. Might look more like a science app too. What if the globe was larger, or a glass like sphere with a compass inside to make it familiar like the safari icon, then electron lines glow over it. Maybe I could try a mockup too.

My goal today is to improve the press and hold gesture. I think I'm making good progress so hopefully the issue will be gone in the next build.

If you can do a mock up that would be great. I need all the help i can get. The red globe took me over a day to do lol

dr34mc4st3r
Apr 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
i'm back now. Was out of town for 2 days but am back and will be more responsive :)

The font jumping a level is fixed for the next version. Although I haven't noticed a problem with saving the font. What web site does this occur on?
The font doesn't change until a webpage completes loading. Are you trying to change the font before it finishes?

i can't remember, but will take that into consideration the next time im observing the webpages.

dr34mc4st3r
Apr 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi, this is the first I heard of issue 2. I'll have to add it to my bug list. Are you using an iphone or ipad? Do you happen to remember if it occurs on a particular site?

hi, so far i haven't been able to reproduce it. encountered it on iphone. let u know again if i hit that same problem!

TimothyB
Apr 17, 2010, 05:27 PM
Fixed. Thanks for letting me me know :)

My goal today is to improve the press and hold gesture. I think I'm making good progress so hopefully the issue will be gone in the next build.

If you can do a mock up that would be great. I need all the help i can get. The red globe took me over a day to do lol

I'll see if I can whip something up if I have free time at work, but if not, I may disappear for the next couple days for a small trip. If you happen to know off the top of your head a good place to grab a royalty free globe outline like in your original icon, let me know.

dhy8386
Apr 17, 2010, 07:57 PM
Guys

A few more options. Tried to make the emphasis the globe with the atom much slighter in the middle.

Option 1 far left to Option 4 far right.

Rich, I made the globe and atom rings in a separate PSD so its much easier to play with. Ill resend to you via email

TimothyB
Apr 17, 2010, 10:43 PM
That's more on track with what I was mentioning, still a little hard to read.

I edited your upload to quickly make the theme stand out more with thicker lines, simplified. The blue, white and red is a good idea, sort of fits the color scheme of Safari. Might not be the desired look, but shows how it can possibly look when things are a little more bold and readable. The only difference between the two bottom ones I did is one has the white lines faded a bit.

Enori
Apr 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
Two bottom ones are the best yet.

dhy8386
Apr 18, 2010, 07:00 AM
Agreed. Tim nice work. I just don't like the blue on blue. But the icon is looking real nice.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 07:30 AM
The second and third ones look great. I'm not sure of the blue on blue but the globe looks fantastic.

I also have someone helping me off these boards which I hope to show soon. The way things are going , I thank I'll have two excellent logos to choose from. Thanks Timothy and David!

That's more on track with what I was mentioning, still a little hard to read.

I edited your upload to quickly make the theme stand out more with thicker lines, simplified. The blue, white and red is a good idea, sort of fits the color scheme of Safari. Might not be the desired look, but shows how it can possibly look when things are a little more bold and readable. The only difference between the two bottom ones I did is one has the white lines faded a bit.

ClaireL
Apr 18, 2010, 09:13 AM
+1 to the bottom 2 :)

Barham
Apr 18, 2010, 10:00 AM
The icons are starting to look really good, especially the last two.

I have what I believe to be a bug to report:
When using Google Reader, I lose the Greader page and instead get the actual page for the rss item that I was viewing. This occurs when I have the tab open and quit the browser. When I leave, it's Greader viewing the article. When I come back, it's the actual page for the article.

It's an easy one to reproduce, and kind of a pain to have to pull up bookmarks and select Google Reader every time.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 10:06 AM
The icons are starting to look really good, especially the last two.

I have what I believe to be a bug to report:
When using Google Reader, I lose the Greader page and instead get the actual page for the rss item that I was viewing. This occurs when I have the tab open and quit the browser. When I leave, it's Greader viewing the article. When I come back, it's the actual page for the article.

It's an easy one to reproduce, and kind of a pain to have to pull up bookmarks and select Google Reader every time.

Hi Barham, I know about this issue. The problem is there is no way to save the state of a webview. What Atomic does is saves the current url when the browser closes and reloads it when it is opened. Unfortunately, if the content changes through AJAX and the URL remains the same, Atomic will load the page without the content change. I'm working on some caching techniques to get around it. It won't make the next release but maybe the following one.

HXGuy
Apr 18, 2010, 11:04 AM
Here is a bug I found on this webpage...

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1979338

When trying to click the links (numbers within the post), it asks me to add as a new contact or create a new contact even though those are not phone numbers. There is no way to follow the links as holding down on them does nothing.

vw195
Apr 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
Here are a couple of Feature requests:

1) allow bookmark export

2) when viewing bookmarks , remember which subfolder one was last in. This would be extremely helpful, since most of my mostused bookmarks are in subfolders.

Thanks for a great app!!!

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
Here is a bug I found on this webpage...

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1979338

When trying to click the links (numbers within the post), it asks me to add as a new contact or create a new contact even though those are not phone numbers. There is no way to follow the links as holding down on them does nothing.

This is a Apple feature to make it easier to add contacts. . If text looks like valid phone number, UIWebView will make it a link and display the contacts options.

Safari has the same issue with the site. The post numbers aren't actually links so I don't believe any functionality is lost although I do agree it is confusing.

Slightly off topic. Slickdeals is a great site.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 11:23 AM

1) allow bookmark export

2) when viewing bookmarks , remember which subfolder one was last in. This would be extremely helpful, since most of my mostused bookmarks are in subfolders.

They are both on the todo list. #2 may make it into the next release if I have enough time.

vw195
Apr 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
They are both on the todo list. #2 may make it into the next release if I have enough time.

Oh, one more while i am on a roll :)

I would like a different user agent per website. It's a little irritating that amazon takes me to the mobile site, but aif i take user agent off mobile safari, YouTube doesn't correctly render html5.

Glad that the other ones are on the list!

HXGuy
Apr 18, 2010, 11:55 AM
Is it possible to tell us what features/fixes will for sure be in the next release?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 12:05 PM
Is it possible to tell us what features/fixes will for sure be in the next release?

the next release (v2.8) will be mainly bug fixes.
Completed changes:
-Improved long press consistency
-3 finger tap enters/exits full screen mode
-fixed crash with digg when adblock ia turned on
-fixed video playing when tab is closed
-Added iPad and iPhone User Agents.
-Added option to make gestures shorter
-Made bookmarks a popup that doesn't take the whole screen.
-fixed some freezing instances

The following release (v3.0) will contain new features and UI enhancements.

HXGuy
Apr 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
Nice! Those to me are features...especially the 3 finger gesture to go back to full screen mode, the iPad User Agent, and the bookmarks not taking up the whole screen. Awesome app man, seriously, I can't browse the net on Safari anymore after getting used to gestures and full screen browsing.

One quick thing...will it be possible tom fix the zooming in a later update? It doesn't zoom in far enough for some situations, like choosing a certain page link for a thread...the numbers are small and I end up pressing on the wrong page or on the name of the thread starter under the numbers, know what I mean?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 01:25 PM
Nice! Those to me are features...especially the 3 finger gesture to go back to full screen mode, the iPad User Agent, and the bookmarks not taking up the whole screen. Awesome app man, seriously, I can't browse the net on Safari anymore after getting used to gestures and full screen browsing.

One quick thing...will it be possible tom fix the zooming in a later update? It doesn't zoom in far enough for some situations, like choosing a certain page link for a thread...the numbers are small and I end up pressing on the wrong page or on the name of the thread starter under the numbers, know what I mean?

True. I guess I should have said big features like a bookmark bar. I think I have a good idea of how to enabling the scroll size to be the same or bigger then Safari. I'll look into it for the v3.

h3nG
Apr 18, 2010, 02:55 PM
Can you make it default with safari color scheme? I hate seeing it start out black and change to safari color scheme. Not a big fan of the red icon. It doesn't really match with the rest of my apple icons.

It would be nice if the UI is a bit more like safari also. The bar on top and bottom are a bit big.

I kinda miss safaris auto fill for search also.

Keep up the great work! Excellent browser. Definitely worth the one dollar.

vertigo78
Apr 18, 2010, 03:59 PM
I was going to post about digg crashing but im happy you already fixed it for the next update.

Also could you create a setting to show the location and search bar in fullscreen? Or have a gesture to bring them up quickly. I know i dont have to use fullscreen but i dont like the toolbar when not in fullscreen. Its too big. And i like customizing my own fullscreen buttons. Maybe make the non- fullscreen toolbar smaller and customizable.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
I was going to post about digg crashing but im happy you already fixed it for the next update.

Also could you create a setting to show the location and search bar in fullscreen? Or have a gesture to bring them up quickly. I know i dont have to use fullscreen but i dont like the toolbar when not in fullscreen. Its too big. And i like customizing my own fullscreen buttons. Maybe make the non- fullscreen toolbar smaller and customizable.

Access to the URL and Search bar is on my todo list but currently a low priority. I may move it up as I think this is an important feature for the iPhone version.

BTW Doug from http://dougitdesign.com/ just sent me a preview of the new logo he's doing for me. I think everyone will like it. It better then anything I could have imagined :)

doug in albq
Apr 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
Excited to see the update to this great browser go live. :D

eaglesteve
Apr 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Great to see developers having a thread to keep such close contact with the customers.

Atomic browser has been my favourite on my iPhone. There is however one problem that I like to see fixed there. When I hold down the backspace keep to delete characters, the copy and paste pop up appears which is annyoing.

Could you fix this problem in the next release please?

spammerhamster
Apr 19, 2010, 02:33 AM
the next release (v2.8) will be mainly bug fixes.
Completed changes:
-Improved long press consistency
-3 finger tap enters/exits full screen mode
-fixed crash with digg when adblock ia turned on
-fixed video playing when tab is closed
-Added iPad and iPhone User Agents.
-Added option to make gestures shorter
-Made bookmarks a popup that doesn't take the whole screen.
-fixed some freezing instances

The following release (v3.0) will contain new features and UI enhancements.

Does the "Improved long press consistency"-change include the position of the "open in tab"-submenu? With this version, the box appears everywhere besides underneath where I press.

Also, many-imagestabs causes a crash too.

Would it be possible to save the state more often? So if it crash you still know where you're left?

dhgamer
Apr 19, 2010, 08:25 AM
Happy to hear about the updates.

One thing I love about the iCab browser that I'd really like to see in Atomic is an option so that you can just tap a link and a popup comes up allowing you to "open normally, open in new tab, open in background tab". This works with just a regular short tap in iCab (no need to tap and hold) and makes it much easier to open links in new tabs. Including a screenshot to better illustrate.

http://images.macworld.com/images/reviews/graphics/140777-icaboptions_original.png

Hope this can be added to Atomic. Thanks again.

clarksonator
Apr 19, 2010, 01:42 PM
This is a Apple feature to make it easier to add contacts. . If text looks like valid phone number, UIWebView will make it a link and display the contacts options.

Safari has the same issue with the site. The post numbers aren't actually links so I don't believe any functionality is lost although I do agree it is confusing.

Take a look at the UIWebView documentation:
@property(nonatomic) UIDataDetectorTypes dataDetectorTypes

Clarksonator

dhy8386
Apr 19, 2010, 03:25 PM
Happy to hear about the updates.

One thing I love about the iCab browser that I'd really like to see in Atomic is an option so that you can just tap a link and a popup comes up allowing you to "open normally, open in new tab, open in background tab". This works with just a regular short tap in iCab (no need to tap and hold) and makes it much easier to open links in new tabs. Including a screenshot to better illustrate.

http://images.macworld.com/images/reviews/graphics/140777-icaboptions_original.png

Hope this can be added to Atomic. Thanks again.

Interesting. I am not sure I like that absent it being an option in the settings like "always ask where to open links" which the makes every quick press pull up that menu. It woud be tedious for every click to have to choose.

I wonder if the os allows you to do like a hold click option similar to a control click on the Mac. For example, to open a link in a new tab u hold one finger on the ipad screen while clicking a link with the other. Same functionality as new trackpads. That would be killer solution.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 19, 2010, 04:30 PM
Does the "Improved long press consistency"-change include the position of the "open in tab"-submenu? With this version, the box appears everywhere besides underneath where I press.

Also, many-imagestabs causes a crash too.

Would it be possible to save the state more often? So if it crash you still know where you're left?

What is an imagetab? Are you referring to saving an image?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the api sample. I know I can disable the behavior of detecting links but I'm not sure I want to. Maybe i'll add it as an option. I don't like to remove functionality which was in previous version.

Take a look at the UIWebView documentation:
@property(nonatomic) UIDataDetectorTypes dataDetectorTypes

Clarksonator

dhgamer
Apr 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
Interesting. I am not sure I like that absent it being an option in the settings like "always ask where to open links" which the makes every quick press pull up that menu. It woud be tedious for every click to have to choose.

You can still tap-and-hold to bring up the standard menu or turn it off completely. It's the one feature that keeps icab browser on my phone. Makes browsing forums & threads much nicer as I can hit the links and have them open in the background automatically while I browse down the rest of the forum page. When I'm done reading a thread I close that page. No need to flip from forum to thread and back and wait for reloading. Also, the threads I'm interested in are loaded and ready to read in the background.

Much easier to tap some of the smaller forum links (like page #) instead of having to tap and hold.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 19, 2010, 04:37 PM

I wonder if the os allows you to do like a hold click option similar to a control click on the Mac. For example, to open a link in a new tab u hold one finger on the ipad screen while clicking a link with the other. Same functionality as new trackpads. That would be killer solution.

I do have opening links options on my todo list but it is currently a very low priority. I've only had 2 requests for it since January(3 now). The next version will have a faster press and hold gesture. I reduced it from 1 second to .5. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

dhy8386, The sdk doesn't have any type of gesture like that. It can be coded however. The only problem would be to try and fit 2 fingers on a link.

eaglesteve
Apr 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
ICab allow users to save PDF file. Can we also have this?

dhy8386
Apr 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
I do have opening links options on my todo list but it is currently a very low priority. I've only had 2 requests for it since January(3 now). The next version will have a faster press and hold gesture. I reduced it from 1 second to .5. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

dhy8386, The sdk doesn't have any type of gesture like that. It can be coded however. The only problem would be to try and fit 2 fingers on a link.

Not quite what i was saying. Like on apple trackpad and similar with gestures It can detect if one finger pressing or two or three. If you could make it so say I put one finger down on iPad anywhere (not on the link persay) and then click the link it would make it much more like a right click and personally i think better than any click to hold option. One click no finger is a left click, one finger down plus click does whatever you code it to do (menu of options, new tab, etc)

vw195
Apr 19, 2010, 07:39 PM
Not quite what i was saying. Like on apple trackpad and similar with gestures It can detect if one finger pressing or two or three. If you could make it so say I put one finger down on iPad anywhere (not on the link persay) and then click the link it would make it much more like a right click and personally i think better than any click to hold option. One click no finger is a left click, one finger down plus click does whatever you code it to do (menu of options, new tab, etc)

Thats a great idea: two finger click opens new window..no wait no pain...awesome idea

doug in albq
Apr 19, 2010, 08:01 PM
Richard, any idea when the update will go live?

EVERYBODY: GO SEE THE NEW ATOMIC BROWSER LOGO/ICON, IT IS FEATURED AT THE VISUAL DESIGNER'S SITE....:)

Tinknock71
Apr 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
You can still tap-and-hold to bring up the standard menu or turn it off completely. It's the one feature that keeps icab browser on my phone. Makes browsing forums & threads much nicer as I can hit the links and have them open in the background automatically while I browse down the rest of the forum page. When I'm done reading a thread I close that page. No need to flip from forum to thread and back and wait for reloading. Also, the threads I'm interested in are loaded and ready to read in the background.

Much easier to tap some of the smaller forum links (like page #) instead of having to tap and hold.

I agree with this 100% this would be the icing on the cake, great for reading forums, which I do daly.

dhy8386
Apr 19, 2010, 09:33 PM

EVERYBODY: GO SEE THE NEW ATOMIC BROWSER LOGO/ICON, IT IS FEATURED AT THE VISUAL DESIGNER'S SITE....:)

Doug. Three words. That is awesome. Elegant, different but still retains professional idevice app look

doug in albq
Apr 19, 2010, 11:45 PM
Doug. Three words. That is awesome. Elegant, different but still retains professional idevice app look

thanks!

spammerhamster
Apr 20, 2010, 02:14 AM
What is an imagetab? Are you referring to saving an image?

No, I mean a tab in the background with a lot of images. Something like this http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25498/A+Week+in+Tokyo+52.html

spammerhamster
Apr 20, 2010, 02:16 AM

Where's the request list then. Add me too it.

Instead of two fingers tab. I'd ask for a button somewhere in the toolbar. When that is activated, every linkclick will open tabs (in the background or not according to the settings).

That way, people can just chose to use it or not. (would it be possible to show the available ram too)

AtomicBrowser
Apr 20, 2010, 06:35 AM
No, I mean a tab in the background with a lot of images. Something like this http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/25498/A+Week+in+Tokyo+52.html

Thanks. I have no problems with that page with the next version. However, If i load the same page twice I get apples memory warning notification. The iPad has a small amount of RAM compared to a desktop pc and once that is full the iphone os will close the app. I believe that is what you may be seeing.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 20, 2010, 06:37 AM

It is up to apple now. 2.8 was submitted Sunday night.

I'm working on some UI Changes now for the following release.

dhgamer
Apr 20, 2010, 06:58 AM
Where's the request list then. Add me too it.

Instead of two fingers tab. I'd ask for a button somewhere in the toolbar. When that is activated, every linkclick will open tabs (in the background or not according to the settings).

That way, people can just chose to use it or not. (would it be possible to show the available ram too)

That toggle button idea would work for me too. Hope to see it implemented soon.

The new logo is a HUGE improvement too :) Nice!

spammerhamster
Apr 20, 2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks. I have no problems with that page with the next version. However, If i load the same page twice I get apples memory warning notification. The iPad has a small amount of RAM compared to a desktop pc and once that is full the iphone os will close the app. I believe that is what you may be seeing.

Hmm.. I wonder if there are ways to reduce memory footprint then.
Or could you just save the state when you get the mem-warning? I've lost my tabs a couple of times already....

HXGuy
Apr 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
It is up to apple now. 2.8 was submitted Sunday night.

I'm working on some UI Changes now for the following release.

Awesome! I can't wait! I think the 3 finger full screen tap is going to be my favorite improvement. The pas user agent should be nice too as well as the new bookmarks and shorter gesture swipes...he'll..it's all good stuff. :D

Any hints on what UI changes you are working on?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
Right now I'm doing the bookmark bar. Everything else is undefined. With the bookmark bar and tabs displayed, too much screen space is used so i'm trying to come up with a better menu system. I may ditch the toolbar on the bottom.

Awesome! I can't wait! I think the 3 finger full screen tap is going to be my favorite improvement. The pas user agent should be nice too as well as the new bookmarks and shorter gesture swipes...he'll..it's all good stuff. :D

Any hints on what UI changes you are working on?

spammerhamster
Apr 20, 2010, 03:47 PM
Right now I'm doing the bookmark bar. Everything else is undefined. With the bookmark bar and tabs displayed, too much screen space is used so i'm trying to come up with a better menu system. I may ditch the toolbar on the bottom.

it possible to let the user chose for a bar at top or bottom? On the iPad in portrait mode I find it easier to have navmenu's at the bottom

kwjohns
Apr 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Does anyone else find that Facebook keeps returning to the mobile version when using is browser after changing to the full site?

Tinknock71
Apr 20, 2010, 09:30 PM
Does anyone else find that Facebook keeps returning to the mobile version when using is browser after changing to the full site?

Mine has done it a couple times but closing the app out and restarting it took care of the problem, I'm having a problem deleting old history from the past few days will not delete no matter what I do, few bugs to be worked out, other then that the app is great! Best browser app hands down.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 21, 2010, 09:25 AM
it possible to let the user chose for a bar at top or bottom? On the iPad in portrait mode I find it easier to have navmenu's at the bottom

Intersting idea. I'll think about it. The full screen buttons will still be on the bottom.

Mine has done it a couple times but closing the app out and restarting it took care of the problem, I'm having a problem deleting old history from the past few days will not delete no matter what I do, few bugs to be worked out, other then that the app is great! Best browser app hands down.

The version being reviewed will have the ability to use the exact user agent of Safari on the iPad. This should fix the FB issue.

Send me an email @ atomicbrowser@gmail.com about the history. I'd like to try and reproduce it. Thansk

HXGuy
Apr 21, 2010, 11:09 AM
I've now downloaded Atomic on my iPhone too, couldn't live without the swipes anymore...kept trying to do it in Safari. :)

Barham
Apr 21, 2010, 11:40 AM
I was thinking about this earlier today and have decided that it would be a great feature.

I'm a high school English teacher, and one of the uses that I saw for the iPad was using it as a presentation device for my classes. Currently, Safari doesn't do VGA out for the web, just for video. I've read that video out to a projector is a feature that devs can add to applications if they choose to. If this would be possible (Atomic video-out for web pages), it would be a killer feature for me. I think others would agree, because this feature is conspicuously absent from Safari.

Still, can't wait for the next update.

fhall1
Apr 21, 2010, 12:15 PM
After all the talk in this thread, I purchased it for my iphone yesterday...haven't gotten a chance to even try it yet though. I like programs where the developer is actively responding to the user population.

spammerhamster
Apr 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
oh... I think i've never seen a "save login/password" prompt. Is it available?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
I was thinking about this earlier today and have decided that it would be a great feature.

I'm a high school English teacher, and one of the uses that I saw for the iPad was using it as a presentation device for my classes. Currently, Safari doesn't do VGA out for the web, just for video. I've read that video out to a projector is a feature that devs can add to applications if they choose to. If this would be possible (Atomic video-out for web pages), it would be a killer feature for me. I think others would agree, because this feature is conspicuously absent from Safari.

Still, can't wait for the next update.

I've been getting a few requests for this feature. I think it would be cool to add but don't want to commit until I do some research into what it would take to implement it. I'll look into it once my todo list thins out some.

My main goal is to make it the best web browser and fix all the bugs. Then i'll start looking at enhancements like TV out and a download manager.

Enori
Apr 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
Bumping last question.
Is it possible to save logins and passwords

AtomicBrowser
Apr 22, 2010, 04:40 PM
oh... I think i've never seen a "save login/password" prompt. Is it available?

There isn't an option to save passwords yet. I'll most likely start working on this after 3.0.

HXGuy
Apr 22, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hey Atomic...you said you already submitted the new version to Apple right? How long do they typically take to approve?

AtomicBrowser
Apr 22, 2010, 05:15 PM
It usually takes a day or 2 . The reason for the holdup is that Apple rejected the initial release today because the bookmark popover didn't contain a directional arrow.

I added the arrow and resubmitted the release.

Badandy
Apr 22, 2010, 05:24 PM
This might be a stupid question, but does AtomicBrowser pull bookmarks from Safari or do you have to create a new bookmark library if you want to use it?

Thanks!

AtomicBrowser
Apr 22, 2010, 05:31 PM
This might be a stupid question, but does AtomicBrowser pull bookmarks from Safari or do you have to create a new bookmark library if you want to use it?

Thanks!

There isn't a way to access Mobile Safari's bookmark store.

To get around this, I created an import function which allows a user to upload bookmark files from the desktop browser.

doug in albq
Apr 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
Richard, do you think Apple will make us wait 4 more days for your app?

TimothyB
Apr 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
The second and third ones look great. I'm not sure of the blue on blue but the globe looks fantastic.

I also have someone helping me off these boards which I hope to show soon. The way things are going , I thank I'll have two excellent logos to choose from. Thanks Timothy and David!

If you're interested in the logo I'll rework it into a higher res version and or make tweaks as desired, and try a few minimally different ideas. Just let me know. I don't think I'm looking for any money unless you offer what you normally would of paid if you choose to use it. I just want to help make a nice logo for what's now my main browser, and maybe say to others, "look what I did" :-)

Is there any official Apple icon layered photoshop template with a proper resolution, glossy reflection, to work off of? I figure they got to have that in the developer kit to keep things looking consistent.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
Richard, do you think Apple will make us wait 4 more days for your app?

My guess is it Apple will approve it Saturday. It is too bad it was rejected because of a directional arrow. The whole purpose of the release was to fix bugs which are much more important then one arrow.

If you're interested in the logo I'll rework it into a higher res version and or make tweaks as desired, and try a few minimally different ideas. Just let me know. I don't think I'm looking for any money unless you offer what you normally would of paid if you choose to use it. I just want to help make a nice logo for what's now my main browser, and maybe say to others, "look what I did" :-)

Is there any official Apple icon layered photoshop template with a proper resolution, glossy reflection, to work off of? I figure they got to have that in the developer kit to keep things looking consistent.

I appreciate the offer but went with a logo by Doug.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Atomic-Web-Browser/285730549690

To answer your second question, I use a template from http://blog.cocoia.com/2010/iphone-ipad-icon-psd-template/.

The glossy effect and rounded corners are done automatically by Apple.

TimothyB
Apr 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
With the upcoming swipe adjustments, does it better interpret when someone is doing a two finger zoom and pan?

As of now, if I try to zoom and pan down, it can often cause the swipe down to close a window. If the swipes are even shorter to initiate now, could it compound this issue, where when people zoom and pan, accidently swipe to it other tabs, close tab, etc?

It seems the two finger swipes should only work if the two fingers stay roughly the same distance apart while swiping, and maybe require a faster flick like speed. Whil, not work if the user has greatly adjusted them apart, even back and forth, while zooming. I'll give feedback again once the update is out.

Thanks, hope to see the update and new icon soon.

jjk454ss
Apr 25, 2010, 05:24 PM
There isn't an option to save passwords yet. I'll most likely start working on this after 3.0.

Get with the folks from 1Password and implement it into Atomic, this would make my day:D. With the restrictions in Mobile Safari it seems like this would be a great solution for everyone.

ClaireL
Apr 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
Here is the YouTube link to Tap Critic's review of this browser for iPad :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPwf1QK-20&feature=youtube_gdata

kleinias
Apr 25, 2010, 07:27 PM
Get with the folks from 1Password and implement it into Atomic, this would make my day:D. With the restrictions in Mobile Safari it seems like this would be a great solution for everyone.For what it's worth, I would really like to see this as well. In addition to this, the option to automatically add an article to instapaper, would be great as well.

jjk454ss
Apr 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
For what it's worth, I would really like to see this as well. In addition to this, the option to automatically add an article to instapaper, would be great as well.

I like the instapaper idea also. If devs would get together to do these things that apple won't allow with there apps I would think it would make for some huge selling points.

patp
Apr 26, 2010, 12:52 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but i can't seem to clear my history. When going into the settings menu> privacy > clear history. When I go back to the bookmark menu and press the clear hist. button it does nothing the history remains unchanged.

Tinknock71
Apr 26, 2010, 07:41 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but i can't seem to clear my history. When going into the settings menu> privacy > clear history. When I go back to the bookmark menu and press the clear hist. button it does nothing the history remains unchanged.

I had the same problem, I ended up removing the app and reinstalling it and the problem went away but had to transfer my favorites over again took about 10 min to do so no biggie, but problem solved for now.;)

dhy8386
Apr 26, 2010, 11:04 AM
Apple approval process is pissing me off. Where is the approval for atomics update!!!??

patp
Apr 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
I had the same problem, I ended up removing the app and reinstalling it and the problem went away but had to transfer my favorites over again took about 10 min to do so no biggie, but problem solved for now.;)

Thanks for the heads up. I may do that tonight. How did you transfer your bookmarks?

Thanks

patp
Apr 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
Apple approval process is pissing me off. Where is the approval for atomics update!!!??

Word.

I Really like this browser. It is fast and the full screen just looks killer. Hope the update comes soon.

doug in albq
Apr 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, Apple is using their less than transparent app store policies in an uneven, unjust, and heavy-handed way. I see some sort of external regulation of this process might be needed if Apple does not become more transparent and fair about this app approval process....

Tinknock71
Apr 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I may do that tonight. How did you transfer your bookmarks?

Thanks

I only have about a dozen so I just did the copy&paste for them all one by one, I tried tired to figure out how to transfer the list but gave up. Maybe some can post how to do it the easy way.

patp
Apr 26, 2010, 04:35 PM
I only have about a dozen so I just did the copy&paste for them all one by one, I tried tired to figure out how to transfer the list but gave up. Maybe some can post how to do it the easy way.

Thanks again for the info.

here is hoping the update comes soon.

jjk454ss
Apr 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
The directions to import bookmarks are in the settings I believe? It is very simple to do.

jeme
Apr 26, 2010, 08:02 PM
Wow this browser is really awesome, thanks for a great application, I can't wait to see the updates.

patp
Apr 26, 2010, 10:08 PM
The directions to import bookmarks are in the settings I believe? It is very simple to do.

is that directed at me? yeah, uh thanks. I figured it out.

Thanks for not really helping. Thanks

HXGuy
Apr 27, 2010, 02:44 AM
AtomicBrowser: have you had any indication from Apple on why it's taking so long for the approval of the update? I remember you saying it should have been approved on Saturday after you submitted the one fix they required.

H00513R
Apr 27, 2010, 08:26 AM
Having used this for a couple of weeks now, is anyone else having problems with it expectantly quitting? I'll have 3-5 windows open and it'll just quit. To be fair, my battery has been low which might make a difference (under 10%).

Barham
Apr 27, 2010, 09:42 AM
Having used this for a couple of weeks now, is anyone else having problems with it expectantly quitting? I'll have 3-5 windows open and it'll just quit. To be fair, my battery has been low which might make a difference (under 10%).

I'm no expert, just a regular user, but from what I've heard, this has to do with memory usage (i.e. not just with Atomic). When an app tries to use more memory than the iPad has left, the app just quits (as opposed to presenting an "out of memory" error). So, it would take fewer image heavy pages to push the app to quit than say text only pages.

Hope this helps. And, others go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong. Just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

patp
Apr 27, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm no expert, just a regular user, but from what I've heard, this has to do with memory usage (i.e. not just with Atomic). When an app tries to use more memory than the iPad has left, the app just quits (as opposed to presenting an "out of memory" error). So, it would take fewer image heavy pages to push the app to quit than say text only pages.

Hope this helps. And, others go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong. Just repeating what I've read elsewhere.

i remember reading the same thing. the app will quit once the memory threshold has been reached.

awaiting the update. it's been almost 2 weeks since it was submitted. This browser rocks and works beautifully.

slpdLoad
Apr 27, 2010, 10:21 AM
I'm using it as my primary browser now and am very happy with it. I can honestly say I can power-browse like I do on a desktop now, with the combination of tabs and multi-touch gestures. Well worth the $.99

Will be dramatically improved once multitasking is enabled, so that it can retain loaded tabs if you go to another application, similar to how Safari behaves currently.

H00513R
Apr 27, 2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks. I was viewing pages heavy with images so that's probably it. Cheers! :D

aaquib
Apr 27, 2010, 05:33 PM
Still no update...

AtomicBrowser
Apr 27, 2010, 05:55 PM
With the upcoming swipe adjustments, does it better interpret when someone is doing a two finger zoom and pan?

As of now, if I try to zoom and pan down, it can often cause the swipe down to close a window. If the swipes are even shorter to initiate now, could it compound this issue, where when people zoom and pan, accidently swipe to it other tabs, close tab, etc?

It seems the two finger swipes should only work if the two fingers stay roughly the same distance apart while swiping, and maybe require a faster flick like speed. Whil, not work if the user has greatly adjusted them apart, even back and forth, while zooming. I'll give feedback again once the update is out.

Thanks, hope to see the update and new icon soon.

The next version has 2 changes.
1) The swipe algorithm is stricter which should eliminate some false positives
2) There is an option to shorten the swipes but it is not set by default

I like the instapaper idea also. If devs would get together to do these things that apple won't allow with there apps I would think it would make for some huge selling points.

Instapaper works with Atomic Web Browser. Follow their bookmarklet instructions using Atomic Web Browser instead of Safari

I believe I fixed this one. It will be in version 2.8.5 which I'm ready to submit. However, I'm still waiting for Apple to approve 2.8 before I can submit it :(

AtomicBrowser: have you had any indication from Apple on why it's taking so long for the approval of the update? I remember you saying it should have been approved on Saturday after you submitted the one fix they required.

It has been in review since 5:51 on April 22. Other then that, I've heard nothing. This is by far the longest any upgrade has been in review. I hope it is approved soon.

doug in albq
Apr 27, 2010, 07:17 PM
I just emailed Steve Jobs to ask him what the hold-up on the great browser is...:rolleyes::cool::rolleyes::cool:

HXGuy
Apr 27, 2010, 07:19 PM
I wonder what the hold up is...do you think its possible they are "jealous" of your browser. Not jealous in the sense childish way, but in the sense that the browser is becoming too popular and "Duplicating Apple functionality" or whatever they call it when they don't allow an app because it's too close to one of theirs.

unkn0wnsoldier
Apr 27, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi. I use the web interface for transmission. Using atomic browser, I can't login. The prompt never comes up. Has anyone else experienced this?

jaeguyoon
Apr 27, 2010, 11:59 PM
Is anyone else with Facebook where the keyboard won't show up when u click on the share box(the one where u would type in ur status updates) keyboard comes up when I try to chat, comment on things but only when I try to update my status it doesn't come up

AtomicBrowser
Apr 28, 2010, 05:28 AM
Hi. I use the web interface for transmission. Using atomic browser, I can't login. The prompt never comes up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sites that require htaccess currently don't work. That functionality needs to be implemented and is on my todo list.

Is anyone else with Facebook where the keyboard won't show up when u click on the share box(the one where u would type in ur status updates) keyboard comes up when I try to chat, comment on things but only when I try to update my status it doesn't come up

I can't reproduce the issue. It may be fixed by a change i made in v2.8 which effects landscape mode.

Could you try in portrait mode and let me know if the issue still exists? thanks

JNGold
Apr 28, 2010, 10:45 AM

1) allow bookmark export

+1 I just emailed AtomicBrowser today regarding this issue. If bookmark location movement is not doable, then remembering the last viewed folder is the next best thing.

Pared
Apr 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
It's OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaquib
Apr 28, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Is there going to be any way to have the bookmarks appear on top at all times, similar to Safari?

doug in albq
Apr 28, 2010, 02:09 PM
...must have been my email to Mr. jobs...;)

Love the logo/icon, it's better than Safari's...;)

Bout time...

jaeguyoon
Apr 28, 2010, 02:18 PM
Sites that require htaccess currently don't work. That functionality needs to be implemented and is on my todo list.

I can't reproduce the issue. It may be fixed by a change i made in v2.8 which effects landscape mode.

Could you try in portrait mode and let me know if the issue still exists? thanks

It still does it for me whether in portrait or landscape even after I just updated

dhy8386
Apr 28, 2010, 02:41 PM
Well....

I downloaded the update thinking it would make the app experience better....but Rich, I am sorry to say that it didnt make it better...it made it freakin awesome!

Every issue I was having has been rectified. Tap and hold consistency has been fixed on every site that was problematic for me. Gestures now work perfectly and accurately. So far, havent experienced any memory issues from too many tabs (and i wasnt being an idiot opening 20 tabs just my normal browsing where I open 8-10).

The result? I just moved safari off the dock and replaced it with Atomic.

Now I am looking forward to some of the more UI based improvements I know you have coming...great work.

dhy8386
Apr 28, 2010, 02:47 PM

Hey bud

I just tried all 3 facebook sites (mobile, touch and full) and they all work fine. You try restarting the iPad to see if its some weird glitch?

sweteg
Apr 28, 2010, 03:07 PM
It still does it for me whether in portrait or landscape even after I just updated

It happens to me too till I switched to another browser type being recognized. I picked a random one (mobile - ipad) and it works fine now.

Awesome browser Atomic. I've been using it for weeks now and replaced it in my dock for Safari since the beginning. Thanks again.

JNGold
Apr 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
It happens to me too till I switched to another browser type being recognized. I picked a random one (mobile - ipad) and it works fine now.

Awesome browser Atomic. I've been using it for weeks now and replaced it in my dock for Safari since the beginning. Thanks again.

I agree. I just need the favorites to remember the last folder visited. I like the pop up menu over the full screen.

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hell freaking yea! :D I'm loving it...the gestures are working great with the short gesture option and I love the 3 finger full screen on/off plus how the bookmarks pop up now. Very cool all around.

One thing I did notice is that YouTube does not seem to work if you follow a link from Facebook...it opens a new tab that goes to the Youtube link but it gives the error of "Not Available on Mobile".

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmOzdfaEPaR0&v=mOzdfaEPaR0&gl=US

Not sure if there would be a way to fix this...maybe by having the link somehow launch the YouTube app? Is that something that you may be able to program in?

ClaireL
Apr 28, 2010, 04:53 PM
Love the update! LOVE the new icon! :D

patp
Apr 28, 2010, 05:22 PM
Aw yeah! It even seems a little faster. Really like the bookmarks menu now.

Good job Atomic crew!

AtomicBrowser
Apr 28, 2010, 06:16 PM
...must have been my email to Mr. jobs...;)

Love the logo/icon, it's better than Safari's...;)

Bout time...

Lol good job with Steve:)

They approved the full and lite version at exactly the same time. I'm guessing the reason for the holdup was they were testing both.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 28, 2010, 06:20 PM
Well....

I downloaded the update thinking it would make the app experience better....but Rich, I am sorry to say that it didnt make it better...it made it freakin awesome!

Every issue I was having has been rectified. Tap and hold consistency has been fixed on every site that was problematic for me. Gestures now work perfectly and accurately. So far, havent experienced any memory issues from too many tabs (and i wasnt being an idiot opening 20 tabs just my normal browsing where I open 8-10).

The result? I just moved safari off the dock and replaced it with Atomic.

Now I am looking forward to some of the more UI based improvements I know you have coming...great work.

I'm glad its working better :) There still is one freeze issue which I didn't notice until after I submitted to Apple. It will be fixed in the next build. I may make another bug fix release before I get to the good stuff. Shortening URLs in Twitter stopped working because the site I used (tr.im) is no longer accepting new URLs.

Tinknock71
Apr 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
I would love to see a bookmark bar. I would be a happy as a pig in mud if you can make that happen, everything else is A+ great, love the new app logo, looks great in the dock.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
A bookmark bar will be part of Version 3.0.

jaeguyoon
Apr 28, 2010, 08:21 PM
So I've tried rebooting the device and then changing the view browser as option . This is hwat I noticed when I change the browser setting to mobile safari, I can type on the "what's on your mind" box, but the fb chat doesn't work. However when i change it to safari desktop or firefox or any desktop browser i can't type in the "what's on your mind" box but fb chat works. Weird. For Now I'm using stoic when i browse regularly but when i want to update my status i use safari. Lol.

Btw great work you've done with this app!! Def one of my fav app, the tabs are amazing!!!

sbl
Apr 28, 2010, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know how to adjust brightness in AtomicBrowser? Different website have different text contrast. Sometimes it's too dark and sometimes it's too bright. Sometimes I need higher brightness when watching videos. It will be much helpful to be able to adjust brightness in AtomicBrowser. Thanks!

AtomicBrowser
Apr 28, 2010, 08:49 PM
So I've tried rebooting the device and then changing the view browser as option . This is hwat I noticed when I change the browser setting to mobile safari, I can type on the "what's on your mind" box, but the fb chat doesn't work. However when i change it to safari desktop or firefox or any desktop browser i can't type in the "what's on your mind" box but fb chat works. Weird. For Now I'm using stoic when i browse regularly but when i want to update my status i use safari. Lol.

Btw great work you've done with this app!! Def one of my fav app, the tabs are amazing!!!

I'm able to reproduce the status issue now when not using a standard iphone/ipad UA. I wonder why facebook disabled chat for the iPad since it works. Hopefully, they'll enable it after some testing.

You don't need to reboot after setting identify as. However, it would be a good idea to clear your cookies.

Does anyone know how to adjust brightness in AtomicBrowser? Different website have different text contrast. Sometimes it's too dark and sometimes it's too bright. Sometimes I need higher brightness when watching videos. It will be much helpful to be able to adjust brightness in AtomicBrowser. Thanks!

Sorry, there isn't any setting to adjust the brightness.

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Atomic: Just wanted to say again how awesome this browser is with the new update...it feels like we got a new OS update from Apple, it has that much excitement attached to it. :D It feels quicker...I love the 3 finger gesture again and the logo is awesome. Very very cool.

By the way...do you accept donations? :) I feel like the app is too cheap for how good it is but I can see you wanting as many people as possible to download it so you have to keep the price low. You know how you have "Rate This App" in the settings? You should have a "Donate" button as well to help support the cause. I'll donate $10. :D

HXGuy
Apr 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
Quick question: Can the url history drop down list be changed to match the color theme of the broswer on the iPhone? I seems to default to black even if you are using the Safari color theme.

Also, when you launch the browser, both on the iPad and iPhone, for a split second it shows the black default color theme before it changes to the one you have chose, Safari in my case.

Tinknock71
Apr 28, 2010, 09:22 PM
A bookmark bar will be part of Version 3.0.

SWEET, you have done a great job with the update! It's nice to talk to the developer in the forums and help out with bugs and a wish list, this is by far the best buck I have ever spent! I hope you do very well with this app. You deserve it. Thanks much!

GoCubsGo
Apr 28, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'd love to try this out but can anyone speak to the security of the browser? Specifically Opera stores data we enter on their server. Though they claim it's encrypted there were too many holes and "what if's". How is this information handled with Atomic?

Dex4788
Apr 29, 2010, 12:09 AM
Small bug: When viewing a scrollable web page in portrait view and switch to landscape, scrolling will activate the scroll bar near the middle of the page, as if it still thinks the phone is in portrait view.

spammerhamster
Apr 29, 2010, 02:41 AM
Great update indeed. The popup/hold is indeed much better (although I think a 0.2s decrease would even be better, can't this be added as a setting, so we can decide ourself)

Some points to work on for the next version:

The zoom in is still limited compared to safari.
A quick way to show the bookmarks or addressbar in fullscreen, now I have to get out of full and then type/open a bookmark, and then go to FS again.
Option to move navbar to top or bottom.
"Active" tab always on screen (if you have too many tabs opened in background, you lose the current active tab and have to swipe the tabbar to find it again)
Toggle to open all links clicked as background tab.
Save passwords (encrypted).
Organize bookmarks
Suggested words for searches
"smart" url-bar. It now shows everything from history. How bout grouping urls from one site together until it's the only option left? And how bout adding bookmarks into occasion. Just like how firefox does it.
Adblock using adblock filtering subscriptions from firefox

MacRumorUser
Apr 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
Thank goodness they changed their App Icon with latest update, although I'm still not overly keen on it.

The App itself is grand but has a number of quirks that irritate as much as Safari tbh.

Some forms like Amazons Kindle management page don't work.

When trying to type into the address bar or any other search field it sometimes has a habit of undoing itself or getting stuck, meaning you have to retype - or have to click out of the field you were typing in, and then back in.

I like the fact you can choose a custom color.

I would like to be able to hide the bottom tool bar alone.

Full screen mode is ok, but the buttons are very antiquated and look aesthetically unpleasing on the bottom.

MultiSwipe is hit and miss. Often if a page is stretched horizontally, then a horizontal swipe usually registers as a pan or zoom, more often than not. Same with vertical mutitouch swipes.

Good app though for its price, but not perfect.

dhy8386
Apr 29, 2010, 07:09 AM
Hey atomic,

I think someone may have asked you this but i cannot find it. Are you able to code the browser such that the browser choice (desktop ie, firefox, etc vs mobile safari etc) could be implemented on a tab by tab basis? Similar to how there are pluginse for regular firefox which allow you to open a tab as an ie tab? Like you could have another option in long press which says "Open Tab As" which then has a sub category listing all the browser options. Not sure if this is possible but given the limitations on the web right now when browsers identify as mobile versions this could be a killer feature.

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 07:11 AM
^ I've found for the swipe up and down that if you rest your fingers on the page for a split second then move them up or down without lifting them, then that activates the command and doesn't go to pan or anything like that. I hope that makes sense.

I hope the dev can answer my question about the security.

dhy8386
Apr 29, 2010, 08:15 AM
Well opera is the only browser that caches like that on their server that's on the app store that I know about. It takes an enormous infrastructure to be able to handle all that web traffic and no average Dev has that. Atomics browser is using the built in webkit framework that safari is based on so i imagine it shares similar security properties. What he'll have to answer is if there is any data being sent to him for stat tracking. Otherwise all your passwords and stuff are likely saved locally so only you have access (and he may not even be saving passwords).

But I'll let atomic chime in since only he can give you the 100%

Julien
Apr 29, 2010, 09:20 AM
Does Atomic support Xmarks? If not how do you deal with getting your bookmarks?

DaBrain
Apr 29, 2010, 09:21 AM
I cannot tell from reading this thread so I'll go ahead and ask:

Can you make the browser when going to a previous page or forward go to the exact spot on the page we last viewed? This is of course in a current session! It would save so much unnecessary scrolling, especially here in the forums!

That's my only wish as this browser is awesome and all the features are great! Especially the save font for a site and the adblocker!

Thanks Rick for any consideration on adding this desirable feature! Excellent job! ;)

HXGuy
Apr 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
I just tried it and yes, the browser will go back to the same spot in the webpage you were at previously when you go back.

msw123307
Apr 29, 2010, 11:12 AM
I'll 2nd the person who mentioned 1password. The first browser to implement this gets my vote.

patp
Apr 29, 2010, 11:28 AM
^ I've found for the swipe up and down that if you rest your fingers on the page for a split second then move them up or down without lifting them, then that activates the command and doesn't go to pan or anything like that. I hope that makes sense.

I hope the dev can answer my question about the security.

+1 on the security. I logged into my banking website not thinking about this. Would like to hear the developer comments on the security and what happens to usernames and passwords when we enter them.

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 11:56 AM
+1 on the security. I logged into my banking website not thinking about this. Would like to hear the developer comments on the security and what happens to usernames and passwords when we enter them.

Well this quote below gave me some reassurances but I want to hear from the developer.

Well opera is the only browser that caches like that on their server that's on the app store that I know about. It takes an enormous infrastructure to be able to handle all that web traffic and no average Dev has that. Atomics browser is using the built in webkit framework that safari is based on so i imagine it shares similar security properties. What he'll have to answer is if there is any data being sent to him for stat tracking. Otherwise all your passwords and stuff are likely saved locally so only you have access (and he may not even be saving passwords).

But I'll let atomic chime in since only he can give you the 100%

Discaciate
Apr 29, 2010, 12:48 PM

I second that request. I would prefer the foward and back buttons to be more like the safari in the iPad. Having those controls in to bottom is really bad IMO (I don't like gesturrs, so I would still prefer the back and foward buttons next to de address bar, just like in safari).

Thx for listening and thx for this amazing app.

Dex4788
Apr 29, 2010, 01:38 PM
Is it possible to utilize snapback/forward popularized by Opera when navigating pages? I notice that it has to reload any page, regardless of whether you were just there or not. It'd really accelerate the browser experience for the better, imo.

JNGold
Apr 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
I second that request. I would prefer the foward and back buttons to be more like the safari in the iPad. Having those controls in to bottom is really bad IMO (I don't like gesturrs, so I would still prefer the back and foward buttons next to de address bar, just like in safari).

Thx for listening and thx for this amazing app.

I actually like having the fwd and back buttons on the bottom of the screen as opposed to the top like Safari.

patp
Apr 29, 2010, 03:19 PM
Well this quote below gave me some reassurances but I want to hear from the developer.

Thanks Jessica!

MrFuzz
Apr 29, 2010, 03:37 PM
Just a quick note to say how much I like your app. I think it's great how responsive you're being to all of the suggestions.

I too had grown frustrated by the constant Safari page refreshing.

spammerhamster
Apr 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
I actually like having the fwd and back buttons on the bottom of the screen as opposed to the top like Safari.

That's why the request for an 'option To change by THE user'

SiskoKid
Apr 29, 2010, 05:33 PM
I love your browser!

I just wanted to not only compliment your browser, but your attitude and openness for suggestions!! I'm super duper impressed with you. Hopefully you come up with some other apps so I can throw more money your way :D

I don't have any requests at the moment (as others are doing a good job with that lol), but well done. Seriously. Kudos!

jonnyb
Apr 29, 2010, 05:37 PM
If I can be be utterly shallow for a while and talk purely about aesthetics and UI:

I like the app and it's functionality but aesthetically there are some rough edges. I don't like the contrast of the grey tabs against the main theme colour. The red crosses are incongruous and very Windows-like. Ditto the yellow favourites icon. Touches like this are unsubtle and very un-Apple.

The movement of the search field as you select it is not as smooth as the equivalent motion in Safari.

There are also small things like the URL text not being properly aligned within the fields. These are small things but they all add up to an app that doesn't feel as polished as Apple's bundled apps.

I think Atomic could be great if it felt as good as Safari. At the moment it doesn't for me.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'd love to try this out but can anyone speak to the security of the browser? Specifically Opera stores data we enter on their server. Though they claim it's encrypted there were too many holes and "what if's". How is this information handled with Atomic?

No data is collected by attomic web browser. There are also no back end servers which the requests pass through.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:15 PM
Does Atomic support Xmarks? If not how do you deal with getting your bookmarks?

You upload the bookmarks to atomicwebbrowser.com/import using your desktop pc. Then you download them through atomicwebbrowser

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hey atomic,

I think someone may have asked you this but i cannot find it. Are you able to code the browser such that the browser choice (desktop ie, firefox, etc vs mobile safari etc) could be implemented on a tab by tab basis? Similar to how there are pluginse for regular firefox which allow you to open a tab as an ie tab? Like you could have another option in long press which says "Open Tab As" which then has a sub category listing all the browser options. Not sure if this is possible but given the limitations on the web right now when browsers identify as mobile versions this could be a killer feature.

I like this idea.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:21 PM
So, I'm going over the itunes reviews and it looks like my competitors are at it again. The only 2 negative reviews posted on the browser have been voted to the top. If you disagree with the 2 negative reviews, please vote them as not helpful and vote up some of the helpful reviews. Thanks

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 06:22 PM
No data is collected by attomic web browser. There are also no back end servers which the requests pass through.

So do you want to elaborate more on this? Do you really use webkit as another poster graciously explained?

I'd be happy to review once I know more ... from the dev. :cool: Short of that I'll speak very highly about the UI, not so highly about the concern over security.

doug in albq
Apr 29, 2010, 06:29 PM
If I can be be utterly shallow for a while and talk purely about aesthetics and UI:

I like the app and it's functionality but aesthetically there are some rough edges. I don't like the contrast of the grey tabs against the main theme colour. The red crosses are incongruous and very Windows-like. Ditto the yellow favourites icon. Touches like this are unsubtle and very un-Apple.

The movement of the search field as you select it is not as smooth as the equivalent motion in Safari.

There are also small things like the URL text not being properly aligned within the fields. These are small things but they all add up to an app that doesn't feel as polished as Apple's bundled apps.

I think Atomic could be great if it felt as good as Safari. At the moment it doesn't for me.

You are comparing a $.99 cent app developed by a single individual (as talented as he is) to the almighty Apple, Inc.—the second wealthiest corporation in the United States (market cap)....get a clue, and get some perspective!

This browser is great. Apple itself knows this. So what if the UI is not exactly like Safari...You know what else is not like Safari: Tabbed browsing, AdBlock, open link in background, In Page Search, adjust font size, page source viewer, and lots of other "differences".....;)

DaBrain
Apr 29, 2010, 06:31 PM
I just tried it and yes, the browser will go back to the same spot in the webpage you were at previously when you go back.

Can someone else please verify this actually works for them? Because it will not do that for me and I want that feature badly!

Is there some setting I need to set that I have overlooked?

Can the developer please answer this?

Thanks!

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:41 PM
So do you want to elaborate more on this? Do you really use webkit as another poster graciously explained?

I'd be happy to review once I know more ... from the dev. :cool: Short of that I'll speak very highly about the UI, not so highly about the concern over security.

Yes, All third party browsers excluding opera use webkit.

Now, just because you use webkit, that doesn't mean a third party browser won't log your info. Any browser which supports compression through Google mobilizer will log your information. This is why I never included this functionality.

With that said, You should ONLY user Safari for sensitive information because Apple has done more testing on Safari then any third party developer could possibly do on their app.

kmattoo
Apr 29, 2010, 06:47 PM
Trying to go to a website called traditional football with ad block on but ad block wont allow it. Trying to figure out whist filter i need to turn off. Any help would be great.

Really like your browser has taken over sarafi for me as well.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
Can someone else please verify this actually works for them? Because it will not do that for me and I want that feature badly!

Is there some setting I need to set that I have overlooked?

Can the developer please answer this?

Thanks!

Sorry, I missed the question. This does NOT work. UIWebView reloads web pages when you go back. I try to cache as much as possible to make the pages load quicker. However, the position of the webpage will be lost.

If I know i'm going to go back to a site, I'll open up the link in a new tab.

AtomicBrowser
Apr 29, 2010, 06:58 PM
Trying to go to a website called traditional football with ad block on but ad block wont allow it. Trying to figure out whist filter i need to turn off. Any help would be great.

Really like your browser has taken over sarafi for me as well.

You need to disable the filter "http://*adition*". I may remove this for the next release as traditional shouldn't be blocked.

GoCubsGo
Apr 29, 2010, 07:16 PM

Now, just because you use webkit, that doesn't mean a third party browser won't log your info. Any browser which supports compression through Google mobilizer will log your information. This is why I never included this functionality.

With that said, You should ONLY user Safari for sensitive information because Apple has done more testing on Safari then any third party developer could possibly do on their app.

Interesting. Thanks.

kmattoo
Apr 29, 2010, 07:16 PM
You need to disable the filter "http://*adition*". I may remove this for the next release as traditional shouldn't be blocked.

Thanks.

Another option I'd love to see (I think someone may have brought this up) is to be able to identify browser dependent on website. For example, I love Facebook as firefox 3, but if I try to watch a YouTube link from Facebook, I can't due to YouTube wanting flash installed (instead of html5 under mobile safari).

Hope that makes sense.

logista
Apr 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
I've only been using Atomic Browser for an hour and I've already been telling my friends to get it.

One thing I'd like (there's always 'one' isn't there? ;)) is a function similar to Desktop Safari's "Open in Tabs". I use this to read my morning funnies :o

Barham
Apr 29, 2010, 09:16 PM
You are comparing a $.99 cent app developed by a single individual (as talented as he is) to the almighty Apple, Inc.—the second wealthiest corporation in the United States (market cap)....get a clue, and get some perspective!

This browser is great. Apple itself knows this. So what if the UI is not exactly like Safari...You know what else is not like Safari: Tabbed browsing, AdBlock, open link in background, In Page Search, adjust font size, page source viewer, and lots of other "differences".....;)

I think that getting a clue is a little harsh. What I will say is that there are some fairly obvious aesthetic and UI issues with Atomic at the moment. Certainly they can't all be fixed at once, but the items that the quoted poster brings up are definitely something to address at some point.

I think the browser is great; it's currently living in Safari's dock position on my iPad, in fact, but that doesn't mean that it is beyond suggestion. The developer has been doing an excellent job thus far in addressing the concerns of the users. I expect that there is room for visual as well as feature/performance improvements in the development of the App.

Also, love the new icon! Keep up the good work.

doug in albq
Apr 29, 2010, 11:42 PM
I think that getting a clue is a little harsh. What I will say is that there are some fairly obvious aesthetic and UI issues with Atomic at the moment. Certainly they can't all be fixed at once, but the items that the quoted poster brings up are definitely something to address at some point.

I think the browser is great; it's currently living in Safari's dock position on my iPad, in fact, but that doesn't mean that it is beyond suggestion. The developer has been doing an excellent job thus far in addressing the concerns of the users. I expect that there is room for visual as well as feature/performance improvements in the development of the App.

Also, love the new icon! Keep up the good work.

maybe a wee bit harsh.

I will take usability and functionality over aesthetics any day of the week, And I am a visual designer.

And you are right, set by step, first, the icon was changed, and for the most part people agree that the new design is an improvement.

also people tend to forget that this is a Universal app, the same UI has to function on the near 10 inch screen of the iPad, and the 3.5 inch iPhone/iPod Touch. on occasion a solution that works for the small screen does not work as well for the large screen, and vice versa.

also, most of the developer world lives in a MS Windows world, as does most of the world in general, with all it's colorful influences. Even if that same developer is using a Mac also, it might be solely just to write apps for iDevices.

not everyone sees the innate need to make the UI nothing but shades of grey, the Apple way.

(obviously not just grey, but Apple is heavy into the lack of colors if you have not noticed)

Also, the word aesthetic and the idea of "fairly obvious" do not belong together because of the entirely subjective nature of all things "aesthetic"

I personally run with Atomic's black theme, I like it much better than the Safari Grey....

jonnyb
Apr 30, 2010, 01:43 AM
If you'd cared to read my post a bit more carefully before wading in rather rudely, you'd have noticed that my perspective was quite well adjusted. I qualified my criticism by describing it, self-deprecatingly, as shallow after the praising the developer for its functionality.

I've been in design for over 20 years. Rather than patronise the developer with a pat on the head about what a nice picture he'd drawn, I thought I wouldn't bother repeating the well-deserved praise he'd been receiving about the functions of the browser and give him some constructive criticism on what I thought some of the rough visual edges were.

I'm certain his intentions are for people to ultimately replace safari with his browser in their docks and I bet he'd rather get honest criticism which addressed issues and be treated like a professional, instead of people patronisingly making allowances for his amateur status.

He's produced a really nice product but I'm willing to bet he wants it to be the best. More power to him in that respect.

doug in albq
Apr 30, 2010, 02:13 AM
If you'd cared to read my post a bit more carefully before wading in rather rudely, you'd have noticed that my perspective was quite well adjusted. I qualified my criticism by describing it, self-deprecatingly, as shallow after the praising the developer for its functionality.

I've been in design for over 20 years. Rather than patronise the developer with a pat on the head about what a nice picture he'd drawn, I thought I wouldn't bother repeating the well-deserved praise he'd been receiving about the functions of the browser and give him some constructive criticism on what I thought some of the rough visual edges were.

I'm certain his intentions are for people to ultimately replace safari with his browser in their docks and I bet he'd rather get honest criticism which addressed issues and be treated like a professional, instead of people patronisingly making allowances for his amateur status.

He's produced a really nice product but I'm willing to bet he wants it to be the best. More power to him in that respect.

that is all great and fine, however your "perspective" was trite, obvious, and already stated earlier in this thread. In addition to that, you knew your remarks needed a qualification. Do not mistake my forwardness with "rudeness," I have yet to be rude. Furthermore, I am not patronizing Richard, the developer; I actually did something for the developer besides of tossing off an obvious written analysis about one's perceived shortcomings of the browser's UI. I designed the apps' new icon. If you read the entire thread, instead of jumping into a long thread mid-way, and without the entire context, you would have know that. As you would have known that your UI "critique" had, in so many words, already been voiced by others far earlier than you voiced your seasoned "20 year" unimaginative, non-creative perspective....

BTW, I always read very carefully.

jonnyb
Apr 30, 2010, 03:05 AM
that is all great and fine, however your "perspective" was trite, obvious, and already stated earlier in this thread. In addition to that, you knew your remarks needed a qualification. Do not mistake my forwardness with "rudeness," I have yet to be rude. Furthermore, I am not patronizing Richard, the developer; I actually did something for the developer besides of tossing off an obvious written analysis about one's perceived shortcomings of the browser's UI. I designed the apps' new icon. If you read the entire thread, instead of jumping into a long thread mid-way, and without the entire context, you would have know that. As you would have known that your UI "critique" had, in so many words, already been voiced by others far earlier than you voiced your seasoned "20 year" unimaginative, non-creative perspective....

BTW, I always read very carefully.

The qualification I gave my remarks was an acknowledgement that, in terms of priority, aesthetics were quite far down on the list. That doesn't mean they're not valid.

'Get a clue' struck me as a rather rude phrase to use to address someone who was expressing a reasonably well argued, admittedly subjective, opinion.

Perhaps that's how you speak to people generally but I found it unpleasant and needlessly confrontational.

By the way, I had read the thread in its entirety before posting. Like I said, I echoed the praise about the functionality. Theres nothing wrong with adding to the constructive criticism about perceived deficiencies as, presumably, Richard will prioritise fixes dependent on how much feedback he gets on certain issues. If lots of people are clamouring for aesthetic tweaks, he'll do them. If it's just a couple of people, he won't. Simple.

dhy8386
Apr 30, 2010, 07:04 AM

Just to add to that last point, Jessica, even safari with all its testing has still recently been found to have exploits in the code which COULD allow a malicious hacker to do x,y,z etc. Atomics point is that given he is one man there is always the chance (and probably higher no offense to rich) that AB could also be compromised in some way. From my perspective, I have a very secure setup at home so i don't really see this as a risk. But you should be aware of all of this in general let alone when using any third party app that is accessing the web through which you enter secure info. But then again you have https which you would hope helps mitigate the security risk but this is beyond my knowledge.

GoCubsGo
Apr 30, 2010, 07:12 AM
Just to add to that last point, Jessica, even safari with all its testing has still recently been found to have exploits in the code which COULD allow a malicious hacker to do x,y,z etc. Atomics point is that given he is one man there is always the chance (and probably higher no offense to rich) that AB could also be compromised in some way. From my perspective, I have a very secure setup at home so i don't really see this as a risk. But you should be aware of all of this in general let alone when using any third party app that is accessing the web through which you enter secure info. But then again you have https which you would hope helps mitigate the security risk but this is beyond my knowledge.

Well of course it's important to be cautious. My main concern was Atomic Browser was like Opera Mini. Read up on Opera to get why I'd be questioning how form data is handled.

After having downloaded the browser while still not knowing whether or not it was similar to Opera in the data respect, I was so impressed with the browser. Mainly the gesture recognition. This is where Apple completely missed the boat or if they did not miss it, it's yet another thing Apple does to ensure they can spoon feed us basic functions one year at a time. Atomic has already replaced Safari in the dock on my iPad. There are some quirks to me that many have already mentioned but overall this is a slick browser. This is what Apple should have given Safari for the iPad.

If it has not been mentioned, I'd like it if when I type an address in the address bar, that the history box doesn't pop up. I know this is how it will work on other browsers, but I don't like it for some reason, same holds true for the search box. The up and down gestures are tough to nail, but I don't think there's a work around to this.

At .99¢ this app is a huge bargain.

dhy8386
Apr 30, 2010, 07:12 AM
The qualification I gave my remarks was an acknowledgement that, in terms of priority, aesthetics were quite far down on the list. That doesn't mean they're not valid.

'Get a clue' struck me as a rather rude phrase to use to address someone who was expressing a reasonably well argued, admittedly subjective, opinion.

Perhaps that's how you speak to people generally but I found it unpleasant and needlessly confrontational.

By the way, I had read the thread in its entirety before posting. Like I said, I echoed the praise about the functionality. Theres nothing wrong with adding to the constructive criticism about perceived deficiencies as, presumably, Richard will prioritise fixes dependent on how much feedback he gets on certain issues. If lots of people are clamouring for aesthetic tweaks, he'll do them. If it's just a couple of people, he won't. Simple.

Jon/doug - guys we get it. You both have qualifications as design experts. You both have good points and neither is wrong, its personal taste. But let's take this offline so as not to hijack atomics main thread. I can tell you both appreciate his work which is nothing short of awesomeness so lets end it at that.

dhy8386
Apr 30, 2010, 07:21 AM
That's why the request for an 'option To change by THE user'

I don't think this is viable feature for Atomic. There is so much design UI that is dependent on where you have the bottom bar it's not manageable to make it an option. For example, if you get rid of bottom bar where do those buttons go? Or if he's building (which he is) a bookmark bar, do you have that also change if bottom bar is "deselected"? I'm not saying its not possible but to design an app that way i think would take so much design time it would be like having to code two app (or three in atomics case because fo iPhone app) that's it beter to choose one style and run with it.

I'd be curious just as an informal pole, knowing that a bookmarks bar is coming (which atomic might make user option able to be on or off) and therefore the spacial impact of having that, would you prefer to continue with the bottom bar or get rid of it and integrate those buttons into the top bar?

spammerhamster
Apr 30, 2010, 10:29 AM
I don't think this is viable feature for Atomic. There is so much design UI that is dependent on where you have the bottom bar it's not manageable to make it an option. For example, if you get rid of bottom bar where do those buttons go? Or if he's building (which he is) a bookmark bar, do you have that also change if bottom bar is "deselected"? I'm not saying its not possible but to design an app that way i think would take so much design time it would be like having to code two app (or three in atomics case because fo iPhone app) that's it beter to choose one style and run with it.

We're not talking about removing the bar, (even though removing it is still possible as some prefers gestures)' just an option to have the bar at the bottom. Or at the top. Gui-wise there isn't much difference.

HXGuy
Apr 30, 2010, 10:34 AM
Is anyone else having problems with slow responsiveness of the URL bar?

From "clicking" on it, to pressing the X to delete the previous address, to typing in the new address...it lags quite a bit. Anyone else experiencing this? I could take a quick video to demonstrate.

spammerhamster
Apr 30, 2010, 01:26 PM
Is anyone else having problems with slow responsiveness of the URL bar?

From "clicking" on it, to pressing the X to delete the previous address, to typing in the new address...it lags quite a bit. Anyone else experiencing this? I could take a quick video to demonstrate.

I'm experiencing this as well. Many times it even seems to hang, the whole app I mean. Could it be because of the cache or history becoming too large (and you can't clear them)

Pared
Apr 30, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think the bar doesn't have full recognition of finger input. Click on the actual words, not on the white space.

Seems like a simple fix... annoys me enough to mention and obviously others notice the odd behavior as well.

HXGuy
Apr 30, 2010, 03:17 PM
I dont think that's it because pressing in the same spot 2-3 times does eventually pull the keyboard.

Also, there is lag when actually pressing the X to clear the address as well as when typing in a URL...the letters actually show up a bit after you have already typed them.

The curious thing is that my iPad 3G came today and it doesn't seem to have the same problem, it works very smoothly. I wonder if it will change as I use it more, if it will get bogged down and exhibit the same lag.

Pared
Apr 30, 2010, 11:58 PM
I think you're right. It seems to be a history thing. Clear your history and it works fine.

spammerhamster
May 1, 2010, 02:20 AM
I think you're right. It seems to be a history thing. Clear your history and it works fine.

How did you clear your history? It's still not working for me.

LinMac
May 1, 2010, 07:24 AM
The Atomic Web Browser is an excellent piece of software, but I have a few questions.

1) Is there any chance of implementing the adblock feature so it uses the Easylist and Easyprivacy lists used with Adblock Plus in Firefox?

2) Does the adblock feature hide the ads or does it actually stop them from downloading? Stopping them from downloading would save us significant amounts of 3G bandwidth making it more possible to use the 250MB plan on the iPad.

AtomicBrowser
May 1, 2010, 01:19 PM
Out of curiosity, on estimate, how many items does everyone have in their history? It looks like i'll have to make an option to turn off suggestion for people with a large amount of history. Of course, I'll also look into improving performance.

The Ad Block used in Atomic is different then adblock for Firefox. This is because the iPhone OS doesn't have regex. There are solutions out there but they technically violate the sdk agreement and I don't want to give Apple any reason to reject the app. I have automatically updating Ad Block on my todo list.

Ad Block will block the content when it is requested to be downloaded.

AtomicBrowser
May 1, 2010, 01:26 PM

I'd be curious just as an informal pole, knowing that a bookmarks bar is coming (which atomic might make user option able to be on or off) and therefore the spacial impact of having that, would you prefer to continue with the bottom bar or get rid of it and integrate those buttons into the top bar?

Good question. what would you prefer:
1) Removing the bottom bar an relocate the bottoms to the top bar and bookmark bar

2) Add more options to the bottom bar. Keep the top bar and include an optional bookmark bar.