Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
ipadSettingsSmall_thumb2.png

Hi All, Apple just approved the latest version of my browser which includes iPad support. I made it a universal iPhone/iPod/iPad app so those who previously bought the browser can upgrade for free.

Here are the highlights:

• Desktop Style Tabs
  • MuliTouch Gestures
  • Private Mode
  • Rotation Lock
  • Find in Page
  • Editable Search Engines
  • Share link with Facebook & Twitter
  • Full Screen View
  • Adblock
  • Save page for offline viewing
  • Identfy as IE/Firefox/Safari Desktop.
  • Passcode Protection.
  • View Page source
  • Restore last page, session, homepage or blank page on startup

You can find it here iTunes Link.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Just out of curiosity - while developing this, have you run into any issues with keeping more than three tabs in memory at one time like Safari?

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Just out of curiosity - while developing this, have you run into any issues with keeping more than three tabs in memory at one time like Safari?

No, although to be fair, I haven't noticed an issue with Safari on my iPad either. All approved third party browsers use the same rendering engine as Safari so if the problem exists with Safari, it most likely will exist with the third party web browsers.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
This looks great. I'll pick it up later today.

One question, does this have the option for a bookmarks bar?

Another question. Do the tabs stay present once the app is closed? EDIT: I think this answers this question "# Restore last page, session, homepage or blank page on startup"

Thanks.

ipadSettingsSmall_thumb2.png

Hi All, Apple just approved the latest version of my browser which includes iPad support. I made it a universal iPhone/iPod/iPad app so those who previously bought the browser can upgrade for free.

Here are the highlights:

• Desktop Style Tabs
  • MuliTouch Gestures
  • Private Mode
  • Rotation Lock
  • Find in Page
  • Editable Search Engines
  • Share link with Facebook & Twitter
  • Full Screen View
  • Adblock
  • Save page for offline viewing
  • Identfy as IE/Firefox/Safari Desktop.
  • Passcode Protection.
  • View Page source
  • Restore last page, session, homepage or blank page on startup

You can find it here iTunes Link.

jim2011

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
I was wondering if the tabs auto-update.

What I would like to do is keep GMail open in one tab while browsing the net in another. Will the GMail tab update and tell me when someone sends me a message like it does for desktop browsers like IE, Firefox, and Chrome?

y2flyy

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Great browser! I purchased and tested. I have to say this may be the first non-apple browser I will use as default. Ive brought a ton of 3rd party on the iPhone and all have disappointed and I just went back to Safari.
Great job on this app! Keep u the good work!
By the way I downloaded the iPad version

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
OK, I just went ahead and bought it. Full screen mode is very cool.
2 finger swipe back/forward works but quite difficult to be registered (pinch zoom will kick in).
Hope there is a way to disbale pinch zoom or maybe 3 finger swipe back/backward like Macbook Air does.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
I purchased earlier today as well and for those that have it, id be curious if extended testing resulted in the problems I had. A few pages froze on me and i had to exit the app - totally frozen. On the macrumors site for example, i could not get the pop up that allows you to open a link in a tab to work for the iPad main forum. Just wouldnt do it. Found this to be the case for many other sites. No order to it , just random. Its pretty fast albeit not as fast as safari but we are splitting hairs on that...

No option for favorites toolbar (would be a nice option. I also think there could be better use of the screen real estate in normal mode (although it does provide a host of options for full screen mode that rectify this).

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
OK, I just went ahead and bought it. Full screen mode is very cool.
2 finger swipe back/forward works but quite difficult to be registered (pinch zoom will kick in).
Hope there is a way to disbale pinch zoom or maybe 3 finger swipe back/backward like Macbook Air does.

I looked into a 3 finger swipe but it will still enable the zoom in/ zoom out feature. I'll see what i can do about adding an option to disable it.

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Ok, I can customize full screen tool bar so I just place 2 back button on each side, problem solved. No gesture is need.

I do find on tiny bug(more like inconvenience thing), tab close button in full screen mode is too sensitive, so it may accidentally close 2 recent tabs, also, the fiirst tab shouldn't be closed by default. Maybe 1 second delay after a closing click sounds better?

EDIT: a real bug found. Go to this page, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/890963/ , post #2653, there is a bestbuy link does work in Safari but not working in micro web.

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Ok, I can customize full screen tool bar so I just place 2 back button on each side, problem solved. No gesture is need.

I do find on tiny bug(more like inconvenience thing), tab close button in full screen mode is too sensitive, so it may accidentally close 2 recent tabs, also, the fiirst tab shouldn't be closed by default. Maybe 1 second delay after a closing click sounds better?

EDIT: a real bug found. Go to this page, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/890963/ , post #2653, there is a bestbuy link does work in Safari but not working in micro web.

Thanks for a link. That bug is quite interesting. The site works on the iPhone but not the iPad. I'll try to get a fix in the next version.

lily69

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
After hours of using, I'd highly recommended this browser. Some features are really useful and easy.
With Ads filter is on, it's much faster than Safari too. Now I love my iPad more! Best $0.99 spent (oh and goodReader of course) :D

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Hmmm. Can someone please try to open the iPad forum or the apps forum in a new tab? Does it work? I keep hooding down the link but nothing happens. This happens on a bunch of random links i tried. Any ideas?

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Hmmm. Can someone please try to open the iPad forum or the apps forum in a new tab? Does it work? I keep hooding down the link but nothing happens. This happens on a bunch of random links i tried. Any ideas?

Hi dhy8386, I see the same behavior as you. It will be better the next version.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Some very nice features...Safari could learn a thing or two from this App. I love the full page view plus the waynthe tabs are done. The find in webpage feature is also great. Having the buttons at the bottom is also genius and vie made a couple posts on this before how I wished Safari was like this...it just makes sense when holding the iPad so you don't have to reach across the screen.

There are a couple things that would make it a little better in my opinion plus a couple bugs.

Would be great to have the auto suggestions when searching Google like Safari does so you don't have to type out your whole search. I would prefer that over the list of different search engines.

I would also like the option to change the size of the quick buttons at the bottom...they are a bit too small and you have to really focus to press them precisely.

I like the 3 finger tap to exit full screen mode...would it be possible to also do the same to activate full screen? Or maybe a double 3 finger tap?

A few bugs I ran across...

As others have said, the multi-touch gestures are very hard to activate and don't work too well. It takes multiple tries to get it to work.

My cursor sometimes disappears when typing (like this reply) and it wouldn't let me hold down to make the magnifying glass appear...it kept wanting to highlight all the text in the window. Had to press back then click reply again to start over.

Seems a little unresponsive sometimes when touching the URL field to type in a new address. I'll pay closer attention to this and see if it keeps happening.

I highly recommend this App though, very very nice.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
To follow up...I am having problems with the responsiveness when trying to type a new URL. I have to sometimes press 3-4 times before the keyboard pops up.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
One more thing...

The zoom doesn't allow you to go quite as close in comparison to Safari...for example try to zoom here on the forums in both browsers. While Atomic will zoom, it then bounces back out while Safari stays zoomed in.

It s nice to be able to super zoom when you are dealing with small links such as the thread page numbers.

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
To follow up...I am having problems with the responsiveness when trying to type a new URL. I have to sometimes press 3-4 times before the keyboard pops up.

Thanks for narrowing it down. I'll do some comparisons with Safari and see if i can improve the responsiveness.

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Is there a method of quick scrolling like mercury's hyper scroll bar?

You can add a jump to the bottom button or gesture. However, there is no quick scroll feature like mercury or perfect browser. This is on the todo list but is currently a low priority as I don't get many requests for it.

AtomicBrowser

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Some very nice features...Safari could learn a thing or two from this App. I love the full page view plus the waynthe tabs are done. The find in webpage feature is also great. Having the buttons at the bottom is also genius and vie made a couple posts on this before how I wished Safari was like this...it just makes sense when holding the iPad so you don't have to reach across the screen.

There are a couple things that would make it a little better in my opinion plus a couple bugs.

Would be great to have the auto suggestions when searching Google like Safari does so you don't have to type out your whole search. I would prefer that over the list of different search engines.

I would also like the option to change the size of the quick buttons at the bottom...they are a bit too small and you have to really focus to press them precisely.

I like the 3 finger tap to exit full screen mode...would it be possible to also do the same to activate full screen? Or maybe a double 3 finger tap?

A few bugs I ran across...

As others have said, the multi-touch gestures are very hard to activate and don't work too well. It takes multiple tries to get it to work.

My cursor sometimes disappears when typing (like this reply) and it wouldn't let me hold down to make the magnifying glass appear...it kept wanting to highlight all the text in the window. Had to press back then click reply again to start over.

Seems a little unresponsive sometimes when touching the URL field to type in a new address. I'll pay closer attention to this and see if it keeps happening.

I highly recommend this App though, very very nice.

Regarding the double swipe gestures. I require them to be about 60% of the screen length before they register to avoid false swipes. Do you think if It would help if I made the motion shorter?

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
Your browser IMHO is the BEST iPad browser currently, it leaves Safari in the dust. I do miss the Safari jump to the top of the page when I tap the very top of the screen, I don't see that feature in Atomic.

Anyway fantastic browser!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
AtomicBrowser said:
Regarding the double swipe gestures. I require them to be about 60% of the screen length before they register to avoid false swipes. Do you think if It would help if I made the motion shorter?

Aha! That does work better...I didn't know the swipe had to be so long. I do think it would be better if they were shorter as it's not very comfortable to swipe that long when laying down in bed.

One other thing I ran across is that YouTube doesn't work right when in Desktop Safari mode (it tries to play the Flash version)...it works ok in Mobile Safari version but then other sites display the mobile version which is annoying (like Facebook).

Would it be possible to emulate how Safari handles it where it launches the YouTube app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.