PDA

View Full Version : Best Noise-Cancelling headphones? Questions about Active Noise-cancellation too!

Alvi
Apr 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi guys I am really looking into buying some quality headphones, I currently have a pair of on-ear Sony MDR-CD180, If you look for those on Amazon they're like 30$ however they ain't bad i already used them for 10 years without problems, but they're a bit chunky (you can't fold them) so i end up with my iPhone headphones, which i don't totally hate but, i can't hear well with them because my left ear canal is different or something so i need in-ear ones which i kinda hate, or on/over the ear ones

So I've been looking at:
-Bose QuietComfort 15 - They seem nice, however i don't really feel like spending so much money
-Sennheiser PXC-300 - Nice too, but they're just on-ear which bothers me a bit for the price
-Some Audio-Technica ones

I don't really know if i want some Active Noise-cancelling ones since i feel they make some sort of "white noise" (had some Sennheiser ones on a plane in business class) which kinda bothered me and made me feel that the actual music got a bit lost, so since this is an audiophile zone i want to know if someone shares that thought with me and if it usually happens with most Active Noise-cancelling headphones

So i wonder, what's best for usage at home, in a bus/train and in a plane? What about some really good passive noise-cancellation ones? I just want to hear my music and nothing else anywhere :)
I would connect them to my iPhone, iPod and MacBook Pro most of the time

Would love to spend something under 200 bucks, even less if possible :)

miles01110
Apr 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
What about some really good passive noise-cancellation ones?:)

I don't like active noise-cancellation, mostly because it doesn't work. The set I'm currently using now I've been happy with for a few years; the Sony MDR-V6s. Not sure if they're in the form factor you're looking for though, as I was a bit confused about that bit...

Alvi
Apr 12, 2010, 03:46 PM
I don't like active noise-cancellation, mostly because it doesn't work. The set I'm currently using now I've been happy with for a few years; the Sony MDR-V6s. Not sure if they're in the form factor you're looking for though, as I was a bit confused about that bit...

They're certainly better, what i meant is that my Sony MDR-CD180 aren't foldable at all so that a pretty big bummer which exposes them to break, however the V6's look way better and in a good price range

newuser2310
Apr 12, 2010, 04:34 PM
interesting article... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4580718.stm

Alvi
Apr 12, 2010, 04:37 PM
interesting article... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4580718.stm
Yep, incredible to see those teens listening to the max volume you can even hear the music from 2 mts away,

going back to the topic.. anyone knows any nice headphones on a budget? :)

newuser2310
Apr 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yep, incredible to see those teens listening to the max volume you can even hear the music from 2 mts away,

going back to the topic.. anyone knows any nice headphones on a budget? :)

I don't really like in ear headphones, but have found my studio set a bit to bulky when on the move.

I went for these...http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/accessories/0,39100116,49295376,00.htm

cx95, haven't had any ringing from excess volume and they cut out most peoples loud voices quite nicely. << read chattering ***** on trains!

Sennheiser produce a raft of options, I simply went with them due to the amount of positive reviews.

:)

Alvi
Apr 12, 2010, 05:11 PM
I don't really like in ear headphones, but have found my studio set a bit to bulky when on the move.

Still, in-ears aren't really healthy and i don't know, they're probably good, but i rather take some studio headphones i can fold, still not pocket friendly as in-ears but backpack friendly :P