Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Z6128

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
I'm picking up an iPad 16gb this friday and looking into getting a case. I'm really leaning towards the Apple case since its slim and has the angle tilt but I plan on using the iPad naked a lot and want a case really just to protect the iPad for transportation or if I'm using it outside just in case.

I've seen how difficult it is to remove and install the iPad into the Apple case and that's why I'm leaning towards the griffin case since the tabs look easier to install and remove the iPad.

Anyone have any recommendations?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The Griffin is probably the nicer looking of the two, and probably better material. A user got his and gave his impression in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/891478/.

IMO, you can't really compare the two. The Apple Case provides a landscape and typing stand that the Griffin case does not. The Griffin case is a straight up folio case, and as long as you don't mind losing the stand options, then it looks to be a good choice.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I am in the exact same boat. I plan on just getting the apple case. I will use it naked around the house and what not but when (if) I need to type anywhere, I will use the case and it provides good screen protection for when I throw it in my laptop bag. I also really like the slim profile of it too.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I am in the exact same boat. I plan on just getting the apple case. I will use it naked around the house and what not but when (if) I need to type anywhere, I will use the case and it provides good screen protection for when I throw it in my laptop bag. I also really like the slim profile of it too.

I've been finding it is easier to type with it flat than angled. I have the apple case, it's good other than the "sharp edges" but I doubt anything will ever beat it in terms of sheer minimalism while still having all the functionality. It looks real industrial too with the rubber look and the subtle logo, kinda cool.

Problem is, I really like the way the iPad looks and because the iPad is so light the case, despite being minimal, adds noticeable weight. It starts to make the iPad feel more hefty and so I've been kinda going back and forth using it with and without the case.

So at this point I'm thinking of getting the MacAlly bookstand just because, it offers some of the same features of the apple case while (it seems) being easier to remove.

One thing about the apple case though, is that I definitely feel confident about setting it down on whatever table or other surface, and it won't slip, it is reaaaal grippy, which can help when you're typing on the lap or similar situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.