PDA

View Full Version : 1Ghz 12" iBook vs 1Ghz 15" TiBook

MrHappyMonkey
Sep 19, 2004, 04:53 PM
I am looking for an apple laptop to replace my Compaq laptop. I need it for my graphic design classes in college. I am considering either a 12" iBook(256mb ram, combo drive, air port extreme) $1000 after rebates/tax from the apple EDU store, or a refurb 15" Ti Powerbook (256mb ram, combo drive, air port) for $1299.00 tax/shipping from ExperCom (https://www.expercom.com/product_detail.html?PRODUCT_ID=293635) . I'd add another 512mb stick of ram to each. I'm not sure which one is best for me. I am leaning towards the PowerBook becuase of the larger screen. I also use a 17" iMac now and the screen real estate is almost perfect for layouts in Illustrator with 5 palletes open. Though I dont know if the slight increase in screen res is worth the extra $300 plus the fact that its a refurb and might not be mint condition. Also, what performance differences are there between the two? I would be taking this to class 2-3 days a week to do work and such in between breaks and also in class.

What do you guys think?

AoWolf
Sep 19, 2004, 05:21 PM
Hmm well It depends the iBook does have the usb 2.0 and thats nice, but if you are going to do graphical work I would get the PB besides it looks better. :) Oh and if you want an iPod or a friend does get the iBook with the cram and jam rebate

TLRedhawke
Sep 19, 2004, 06:13 PM
1 word. DDR.

The TiBook uses PC133 SO-DIMM for memory where the iBook uses PC2100. The TiBook is a refurb, so you're eating it if something goes bad. As mentioned, the iBook has USB 2.0 to the TiBook's USB 1.1. As well as the Airport to Airport Extreme issue, the antenna built into the TiBook uses the plastic band around the main body of the laptop where the iBook uses the edge of the screen. As such, the TiBook gets infamously bad wireless reception.

As far as I can see, the only benefit to the TiBook is the screen real estate. Go with the iBook.

jap4n
Sep 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
Hmm well It depends the iBook does have the usb 2.0 and thats nice, but if you are going to do graphical work I would get the PB besides it looks better. :) Oh and if you want an iPod or a friend does get the iBook with the cram and jam rebate

i don't think that i would buy a laptop because of what it looks like :eek:

yoda13
Sep 19, 2004, 10:00 PM
As much as I loved my original TiBook, go with the iBook, having a warranty is a good thing.

Elan0204
Sep 19, 2004, 11:13 PM
Do you get a one year warranty on the refurb TiBook?

The TiBook does have 1MB of Level 3 Cache which will offer a performance boost. I don't know how that compares to the faster RAM in the iBook, though.

$1300 for a 1GHz TiBook is a really good deal, by the way. I bet used ones go for at least that.

thehuncamunca
Sep 20, 2004, 12:24 AM
if screen is an issue, i'd go with the 14" ibook those extra 2 inches make the difference
i'd recommend the ibook rather than get something used without a warranty, the ibook also has many newer features like USB2 airport extreme a bluetooth internal option DDR memory the latest OS software that you won't need to buy etc these will make the ibook much more future proof and faster than the tibook, the ibook is also much better designed for college than the flaky paint tibooks

I am looking for an apple laptop to replace my Compaq laptop. I need it for my graphic design classes in college. I am considering either a 12" iBook(256mb ram, combo drive, air port extreme) $1000 after rebates/tax from the apple EDU store, or a refurb 15" Ti Powerbook (256mb ram, combo drive, air port) for $1299.00 tax/shipping from ExperCom (https://www.expercom.com/product_detail.html?PRODUCT_ID=293635) . I'd add another 512mb stick of ram to each. I'm not sure which one is best for me. I am leaning towards the PowerBook becuase of the larger screen. I also use a 17" iMac now and the screen real estate is almost perfect for layouts in Illustrator with 5 palletes open. Though I dont know if the slight increase in screen res is worth the extra $300 plus the fact that its a refurb and might not be mint condition. Also, what performance differences are there between the two? I would be taking this to class 2-3 days a week to do work and such in between breaks and also in class.

What do you guys think?

stevehaslip
Sep 20, 2004, 04:24 AM
1 word. DDR.

The TiBook uses PC133 SO-DIMM for memory where the iBook uses PC2100. The TiBook is a refurb, so you're eating it if something goes bad. As mentioned, the iBook has USB 2.0 to the TiBook's USB 1.1. As well as the Airport to Airport Extreme issue, the antenna built into the TiBook uses the plastic band around the main body of the laptop where the iBook uses the edge of the screen. As such, the TiBook gets infamously bad wireless reception.

As far as I can see, the only benefit to the TiBook is the screen real estate. Go with the iBook.

err.... you're eating it if something goes bad? nope i don't think so, all apple refurbs come with exactly the same warranty as a new apple computer. So you would have all of the same rights as if you bought a new computer, so if it falls apart apple will still help you. USB 2 is over rated, both have firewire thats whats important. Don't go with a 14" iBook, they have a max resolution of 1024x768, exactly the same as the 12" iBook so you aren't actually getting a bigger screen you are getting an enlarged screen at the same res. If you ask me its a waste of money, unless of course you want a superdrive which the 12" can't currently get. (which is also a waste of money, unless its your only computer. But then how often do you burn DVD's? it takes forever if you do it through finder as it has to copy all the information you want to write to another location on the HD before it actually burns it. So if you want the superdrive factor in the cost of toast too)

I prefer the look of the Tibook over the Albook, but they don't wear as well as the new ones. I think that if its your only computer the 12" will be too small to get any serious work done on but you could also just get a cheap monitor and use that when at home.

have you also thought about software costs for the switch? this may effect how much you can spend in the computer, i know that its hard for us students but you can get student versions of the creative suite etc.

edesignuk
Sep 20, 2004, 04:28 AM
if screen is an issue, i'd go with the 14" ibook those extra 2 inches make the differenceNo they dont. In fact they don't make any difference what so ever. Both the 12" & the 14" have a max resolution of 1024x768. So all the 14" offers is a physically bigger screen (everything looks bigger), less battery life, and more weight.

panda
Sep 20, 2004, 06:20 AM
i would say go for the ibook.

the ti is out of date and not made anymore.

the ibook has the latest and almost greatest (only the alu pb is a little later and greater).

the ti also had some infamous issues re finish, loud hd... it is an antique. antique cars are one thing, but antique computers?

yup

stevehaslip
Sep 20, 2004, 11:34 AM
i would say go for the ibook.

the ti is out of date and not made anymore.

the ibook has the latest and almost greatest (only the alu pb is a little later and greater).

the ti also had some infamous issues re finish, loud hd... it is an antique. antique cars are one thing, but antique computers?

yup

i'd hardly call a 1Ghz Tibook an antique!!!!! they were still making them up til september last year!!! You're saying that a computer that is one year old is an antique? Having the latest and greatest isn't everything, unless you are one of those people who are fortunate enough to be able to buy a new computer every 6 months. But then if you do, aren't there better things to spend your money on? I understand what you are saying, why get something older if you can get something brand new, but in this circumstance i don't think its that easy to just say "new rocks, old sucks."

If money is an issue you could get a refurb 15" Albook? or would that be an antique too?! :p just kiddin!

panda
Sep 21, 2004, 06:42 AM
i'd hardly call a 1Ghz Tibook an antique!!!!! they were still making them up til september last year!!! You're saying that a computer that is one year old is an antique? Having the latest and greatest isn't everything, unless you are one of those people who are fortunate enough to be able to buy a new computer every 6 months. But then if you do, aren't there better things to spend your money on? I understand what you are saying, why get something older if you can get something brand new, but in this circumstance i don't think its that easy to just say "new rocks, old sucks."

If money is an issue you could get a refurb 15" Albook? or would that be an antique too?! :p just kiddin!

well that's true, i exaggerated,but my take on it is this:

1) it is out of production
2) though it was discontinued 12 months ago, it had been on the market (albeit in older versions) for many years prior.

hence i assume that it must be 'dated'.

stevehaslip
Sep 21, 2004, 01:31 PM
well that's true, i exaggerated,but my take on it is this:

1) it is out of production
2) though it was discontinued 12 months ago, it had been on the market (albeit in older versions) for many years prior.

hence i assume that it must be 'dated'.

you're quite right in thinking that you should get something newer if you can. One word of advice, most people i know who are studying graphic design look down on people with iBooks!!! can you believe it? the iBooks have the same technology that was in the Powerbooks 6 months ago. So unless you have the newest Powerbook theres not much in it! (besides dvi out etc) some people are computer snobs!!! :eek:

thequicksilver
Sep 21, 2004, 01:38 PM
No they dont. In fact they don't make any difference what so ever. Both the 12" & the 14" have a max resolution of 1024x768. So all the 14" offers is a physically bigger screen (everything looks bigger), less battery life, and more weight.

You're right except for one point - the battery life is better on the 14" iBooks.

I'd say go for the iBook too, if only for Airport Extreme, no peeling paint, no hinge problems, and it's more portable. However, if it's performance you're after, the TiBook would likely be more powerful. (I've based that on a few examples taken from the XBench score comparison site and my own score on my 12" current gen iBook.)

Either way, history would suggest that there will be iBook updates at some point in October, so if you give it a month, your 12" iBook could have a 1.2ishGHz G4 in it, and maybe even a Superdrive. :) I'd definitely recommend the iBook G4 anyway, for my mainly hobbyist uses it's fantastic. I reviewed it on my website (see profile) if you want to read.

javabear90
Sep 21, 2004, 03:33 PM
also is there a big difference bewteen the graphics 9000 vs. 9200 even though I think the iBook has less video RAM?... Also I think you should go with the iBook.

MrHappyMonkey
Sep 21, 2004, 03:57 PM
UPDATE:
I stopped by CompUSA yesterday and was playing around with the 12" iBook and 12Ē PowerBook. The screen on the powerbook was much better than the ibook. i didnít really like the casing of the ibook either; it felt cheap and the keyboard seemed flimsy. I than compared it to the 15" powerbook which just blew the 12" powerbook away in screen quality. The size is bigger, but I think it's worth it for that beautiful screen. I ended up going all out and picked up a 2 month old 15" albook on eBay: 1 GHz, 512ram, 60gig, combo drive, airport, Bluetooth, & 10 months left on applecare for $1425. Now I need to find a sleeve to fit the powerbook. What is the best deal on one?

crachoar
Sep 21, 2004, 04:39 PM
So if you want the superdrive factor in the cost of toast too

Or learn how to use the internet. :p