Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I have always liked having as much protection as possible for the Readers I have owned. The Sony Readers I've had always had a cover included, or an accessory cover to protect the screen. I have always gotten a pouch as well. My main concern is something getting in between the screen and the cover to possibly leave a mark or scratch. With the investment of my iPad, I certainly wanted to make sure I was covered. So after I had my iPad reserved and confirmed a couple days before the launch I had feared the Apple iPad Cover wouldn't be available as they led us to believe it would release mid April. I didn't want to carry it around naked, so I went to sfbags.com to see the Waterfield Cases after seeing the photos over at iLounge. I was thoroughly impressed with the Ultimate Sleevecase with the leather bottom and decided to purchase it.

I called them first to verify I would receive it before launch, I received excellent service. They told me if I put the order in that morning, (Wednesday) I should receive it by Saturday the latest....so out came the Credit Card.

The purchase was easy, they sent me 2 emails to confirm. I had requested they send it to my office, and after forgetting that Friday was Good Friday (We were off), I called and asked them to change the shipping to my home. I was impressed with how patient and flexible they were to do so for me. The bag arrived Friday, ready to be filled.

The quality stood out, you pay a premium for this bag, but it is worth every penny. It's got a tough black canvas exterior with a brown leather bottom. It's got a solid velcro closure with a very flexible lid that secures the pocket nicely. The interior is lined with thin elastic yet very strong neoprene to avoid tearing through regular use. Like I said.....just pure quality. There is also a pocket on the back that could easily fit the USB Cord, although the Power Adapter would be a but too bulky for it.

I was pleasantly surprised the morning of the release that Apple had indeed released the Apple Cover, so I had the double protection I like to have for my investment.

As I got in my car, I inserted the iPad into it's cover, and found a very tight fit into the slipcase....I was a bit concerned. But after numerous times putting it in and taking it out of the slipcase it broke in and is snug, but loose enough that it now slips in and out easily.

I have found this case and the cover to be a perfect combination of protection, while looking really good. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

I am now also considering getting a little protective pouch for the bluetooth keyboard accessory.

Thanks for reading :D

(The 5 photos attached are from the day I received the case, the others are taken today from my phone...sorry for the quality on those.)

Attachments

• ipadcase1.jpg
    ipadcase1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 237
  • ipadcase2.jpg
    ipadcase2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 178
  • ipadcase3.jpg
    ipadcase3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 172
  • ipadcase4.jpg
    ipadcase4.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 179
  • ipadcase5.jpg
    ipadcase5.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 181

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
And here are the photos with the iPad + Cover + Slipcase....

Attachments

• ipadcase6.jpg
    ipadcase6.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 164
  • ipadcase7.jpg
    ipadcase7.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 172
  • ipadcase8.jpg
    ipadcase8.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 184

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Nothing beats Waterfield -- I have bags from them that are 5-6 years old,have taken them all over the world and they look as new.

Great company.

JT

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
Thanks for the photos. I'm considering this case because of my prior excellent with their cases and products. Like the leather touch on this case and will definitely add it in my purchase.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
No problem guys.....I always like to throw in a "real life" look at things in action for reviews. I find this to be the perfect protection :D Just ordered a case for my wireless keyboard, should be arriving next week, I'll of course post a photo review of that one too.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
We bought the case the first day the iPads came out. It's a very nice case and fits very well with the iPad cover.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Seems a bit of overkill to put the Apple case on then slide it into the Waterfield slip case. Won't all that un/re packaging get old quickly?
I'm thinking a simple rubber skin to protect the edges and back and then a slip case like the Waterfield would work well.
The skin will help it stay new looking for when I sell it for the newest model.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Seems a bit of overkill to put the Apple case on then slide it into the Waterfield slip case. Won't all that un/re packaging get old quickly?
I'm thinking a simple rubber skin to protect the edges and back and then a slip case like the Waterfield would work well.
The skin will help it stay new looking for when I sell it for the newest model.

Not at all. The Apple case stays on full time. I like the fact that i could use the Apple cover for the flexibility of either folding back or propping it up....no need to remove it.

Like I said, I don't want anything getting between the screen and the cover, the sleeve keeps the whole thing protected.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Just picked up this sleeve, but am waiting on Apple to get more cases in stock. You definitely need something on the iPad when handling. It is much too slick to carry naked. Outside, I always feel like it will fly out of my hands.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
How much padding does the sleevecase have? I know it says there is some kind of plastic in the front layer, but what about the back?

ac4lt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
How much padding does the sleevecase have? I know it says there is some kind of plastic in the front layer, but what about the back?

Both front and back feel comfortably padded though I can't quantify how thick the padding is. It feels like it would cushion against moderate impacts and certainly should do fine in a bag with other items.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Just ordered one with a shoulder strap. Thanks OP, I might use the Apple case as well so it is nice to know that it will fit in the WF sleeve with the Apple case.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the info, just ordered one without the shoulder strap to go with my belkin clear vue. Seems like a great combo!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I love the company and the fact that they make everything in San Francisco and for a great price i would tell everyone to buy from them.

They also sent me their sweet looking wallet in a Taxi pattern:

4529769291_e655ab1f86_b.jpg

4529767183_7be6ed2b27_b.jpg

4530399912_b02ed1374d_b.jpg

Sorry about the hijack :eek: But i wish they had this pattern for one of their iPad cases.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I ordered a blue slip case, and a blue wallet. I inquired about a blue Muzetto. They said it was a possibility. :)

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Waterfields website says they are about to offer.a version of this case that is "compatible" with an iPad in the Apple case. Considering it already seems. To fit based on this thread I wonder what we are missing, they must feel it is flawed and too small or something... Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.