PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for the MacBook Air, regardless of its future ...

entatlrg
Apr 13, 2010, 11:51 AM
No update today sure shows where Apple's attention has NOT been.

Apple has basically excused itself, temporarily at least, from the ultra portable notebook market.

This is the same amazing device S Job's pulled from an envelope two short years ago. Now look at it.

What the Air is and what it could be. If S. Jobs, the 136th richest man in the world, CEO of Apple with over 40 BILLION in CASH laying around, would put some attention to making a premium ultra portable by 'today's' spec's just imagine what it could be.

Why? Is it iPad fever? I sure as hell hope not. Apple is first a profit machine and maybe they simply understand their billions in profit will come from iPad and consumer products over business products.

It's still no excuse ... all that cash, hire some people, put some attention on everything, even if it's not a priority keep it up to today's standards.

There is part of the business world and people willing to spend extra money who love Apple products.

Why not make a REAL nice 13" MacBook Air and Pro or give us CTO options to make it what we want ... it's so damn frustrating :mad:
....:)

Ah... this is a discussion that could turn into a book and we'd still never understand the means behind their madness ... suffice it to say Apple is NOT putting much attention on giving us, the low percentage of fan boy's, the computers that we know they're capable of producing.

I wonder if sales of Sony Z's and Lenovo x201/301's will increase today? LOL I ordered a Z to try out ... I'd don't even like Sony products but I wanted a powerful ultraportable, not a lot of options out there at the moment

Here's to hoping for a June or Fall update I guess ... a LOT of people aren't going to wait, I wonder what they'll buy instead?

godslabrat
Apr 13, 2010, 12:18 PM
No update today sure shows where Apple's attention has NOT been.

Apple has basically excused itself, temporarily at least, from the ultra portable notebook market.

This is the same amazing device S Job's pulled from an envelope two short years ago. Now look at it.

Agreed on all counts. I like Apple's products and I want them to make money, but why slight the customers looking to buy their most expensive products?

I need a new laptop (probably by August). I'd really like it to be a MBA with 4GB RAM. I don't want to settle on the current model because it's obviously long in the tooth, and I sure as heck don't want a computer that doesn't run OSX.

If for some dumb reason, Apple drops the Air, I'll have to suck it up and get a MBP... which is a damn fine computer, but seems like such a step back in terms of what I need a computer for.

Rapidian13
Apr 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
Agreed on all counts. I like Apple's products and I want them to make money, but why slight the customers looking to buy their most expensive products?

I need a new laptop (probably by August). I'd really like it to be a MBA with 4GB RAM. I don't want to settle on the current model because it's obviously long in the tooth, and I sure as heck don't want a computer that doesn't run OSX.

If for some dumb reason, Apple drops the Air, I'll have to suck it up and get a MBP... which is a damn fine computer, but seems like such a step back in terms of what I need a computer for.

I agree, I cannot believe they didn't update the Air. I'm a PC guy looking to switch to Mac because my girlfriend has the Air - I think it's probably the best laptop I've ever used in terms of size, weight, and style. If only it was a little more powerful and had just a tad bigger SSD it could replace everything I do on my PC other than run games (which is fine, because who really wants to run games on a 13" laptop??). I'd pay $2.5k without blinking for an i3 4GB Ram 256GB SSD Air. I hope like hell they don't think the iPad is really that great - it's not even a computer, it's a toy with ridiculously silly apps.

Any hope we'll see an update in the near future, or does it stand to reason if they didn't do it today it's not happening? I don't know Apple well enough to guess these kinds of things.

Mactagonist
Apr 13, 2010, 02:50 PM
:rolleyes: "apple didn't do what I wanted wahhhhhhhh"

Apple has a finite amount of time, resources and focus. The Macbook Air is a niche product, the Macbook Pro is apple's bread and butter.

Computers themselves are a 'solved problem' in many ways. As you may have noticed Apple is no longer a computer company. Even when they were they cared much more for the user experience then bullet points an a spec sheet.

Going forward Apple is going to keep their mac lineup competitive and useful, but it is no longer a company focus because there is much less opportunity there.

Sorry.

Huubster
Apr 13, 2010, 02:56 PM
It is sad in many ways. The upgrade the 13" MBP gets is very disappointing. It even would have been disappointing if it were the upgrade of rev D MBA!!

drjsway
Apr 13, 2010, 03:11 PM
I'd pay $2.5k without blinking for an i3 4GB Ram 256GB SSD.

If the MBA did get an i processor, it will be an i7. The i3 is not low voltage.

It's obvious where Apple's focus lies. In a few short years, the user base of iPhone OS has more than tripled the user base of OSX. OSX has around 25m users last I checked. I think Jobs mentioned 80m or more iPhone OS devices on the market.

The MBA is Apple's worst selling mac and macs in general are getting the shaft. Apple is spending all its resources making sure Google doesn't take control of the mobile market like Microsoft did the desktop market. If that happens again, Jobs will be pissed.

Rapidian13
Apr 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
If the MBA did get an i processor, it will be an i7. The i3 is not low voltage.

It's obvious where Apple's focus lies. In a few short years, the user base of iPhone OS has more than tripled the user base of OSX. OSX has around 25m users last I checked. I think Jobs mentioned 80m or more iPhone OS devices on the market.

The MBA is Apple's worst selling mac and macs in general are getting the shaft. Apple is spending all its resources making sure Google doesn't take control of the mobile market like Microsoft did the desktop market. If that happens again, Jobs will be pissed.

Well, now doesn't that just suck. They finally convince me to buy a Mac and then kill the only reason I can see to do it. Gotta love it. Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

MartiNZ
Apr 13, 2010, 04:01 PM
Rather disappointed here also, the MBA update details were what I was most looking forward to seeing out of the rumoured updates, and as has been said in many places, the 13" MBP update was not terribly exciting.

I've been thinking for a while it would be nice to have an MBA instead of having to lug around my 15" '08 MBP with the old plastic rim ><, and then maybe go for a desktop as well. This mindset was strengthened after a short time playing with an iPad and realising it was not for me. Oh well, I guess the wait is now on for new iPhone hardware.... Farewell MBA really didn't know you at all.

jlblodgett
Apr 13, 2010, 04:05 PM
It is very sad. The MBA doesn't need much to remain a very competitive product.

Increased RAM capacity.
Glass trackpad.

It needs nothing more, and it could still be a good product for some time.

Satori
Apr 13, 2010, 04:21 PM
Did I miss something?

Were the MBP updates today accompanied by any statement from Apple that they would not be updating the MBA ever again?

Let's wait at least a few weeks before we start bitching about lack of updates for the MBA!

xparaparafreakx
Apr 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
the Macbook Pro is apple's bread and butter.

You mean the iPhone, iPod and iPad are Apple's bread and butter.

Huubster
Apr 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
Did I miss something?

Were the MBP updates today accompanied by any statement from Apple that they would not be updating the MBA ever again?

Let's wait at least a few weeks before we start bitching about lack of updates for the MBA!

The "next level" MBP update would even be disappointing if it were an MBA update. Why wait?

sjinsjca
Apr 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
...the 13" MBP update was not terribly exciting...

Folks keep saying that. But: it gains beaucoup battery life, double the base RAM and a kickin' graphics processor. What's not to like?

C2D is no slug. I absolutely hammer my once-high-end 15" unibody MBP which just happens to have the same 2.66 C2D that you can now get on the 13". It never lets me down, even when running several virtual machines simultaneously. It's a 100% solid performer, and now you can get it in the 13". What's not to like?

lily69
Apr 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
I am waiting a new MBA too.

Current size is ok, hope it's go thinner, lighter(2-2.5lb, one can dream), better CPU and 4G ram. I will buy it in a blink.

Sony at 13 inch with optical drive is 3lb, so Apple should be able to catch up, right?

Huubster
Apr 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
What's not to like?

Compare it to what the competition has on offer in 13" packages and it looks hopelessly outdated.

martynmc7
Apr 13, 2010, 05:13 PM
Compare it to what the competition has on offer in 13" packages and it looks hopelessly outdated.

Why, did all the competition suddenly get unibody enclosures, multitouch glass trackpads and OS X?

I'll agree that the 13" upgrade was a little disappointing when you only look at the processor, but blame Intel and their spat with Nvidia for that. Think how much more bitching there would be if Apple had included an i3 with only the Intel HD option.

The 13" isn't really outdated at all, in fact I'm sure the i3 performance is fairly comparable to the high-end C2D chips. At the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as it gets the job done and for 90% of users looking for a 13" laptop a C2D is more than enough,

However, I do wish they would incorporate more aggressive prices across the board. I remember not too long ago you could get a MacBook for about £700...good luck with that now.

lily69
Apr 13, 2010, 05:13 PM

+1

Huubster
Apr 13, 2010, 05:17 PM
Why, did all the competition suddenly get unibody enclosures, multitouch glass trackpads and OS X?

What use is a beautiful slick dashboard on an old shabby car?

applesupergeek
Apr 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Patience guys and gals, the air is a high end machine and apple are putting a lot of thought in there on what's next for it, hence the wait. It is a sad day indeed, I agree, but I suggest some patience for prospective buyers. It always pays off in the end.

applesupergeek
Apr 13, 2010, 05:47 PM

You just registered to post this? And whey don't you bother showing us what the competition is offering instead of taking your word for it?

martynmc7
Apr 13, 2010, 06:08 PM
What use is a beautiful slick dashboard on an old shabby car?

Except it's not a shabby old car is it? Everything else got a boost other than the processor family, and even then the clock speed was upped. It'd be like maintaing a marginally older engine in a beautiful body, tuning it up and improving the gearbox, brakes, tires etc. But maybe thats labouring the metaphor.

Mactagonist
Apr 13, 2010, 06:13 PM

Apple dominates the >$1000 market and IIRC the 13" MBP is their best seller. Do you think it is possible that the reasons you think it is outdated just don't matter in the slightest to the majority of the market?

darngooddesign
Apr 13, 2010, 06:24 PM
Or they are spacing out their launches and updates.

gimmi80
Apr 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
What about if they discontinue the MBA?
We would become part of a lucky elite.

Scylax
Apr 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
I'm disappointed that the MBA wasn't updated today, mostly because I want to know that Apple still intends to develop it. But I don't understand why so many people are saying that the current model is so hopelessly outdated. I have the last model with the better processor and the SSD, and this thing is almost perfect. My usage is, I imagine, fairly standard for a MBA user: internet research, lots of writing and 'productivity' and some music and youtube videos. And this machine is ideal. The SSD makes it feel much, much faster in use than my imac and the 13" MBP I have. The SSD is small, but I still believe it is enough to last for a long time as long as you delete or archive old files. I've had this machine for well over a year now, and love it as much as I did on day one. I know the RAM is limited, but how many people really use 4GB on an ultraportable machine? Graphics I'm less sure about, as I don't do much to stress them, but is it really so bad? I love my MBA and I use it every day. I often choose to use it over the iMac because it feels so good to use, and there's no way I would swap it for a more powerful Windows UP.

WLS
Apr 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
It is disappointing news about the omission of the MBA today but would an MBA update really be announced along with the pros?
It does need an update so lets hope that a separate announcement is made in the next few weeks. I have been looking at the MBA since the iPad was a bit disappointing to me. Just an opinion which even I hope is wrong but it does look like there really isn't a spot in their line up that it fits any more. It looks to me like the iPad is what apple wants to develop for the ultralight and portable market with several models and the longer it gets before an update the more probable that seems.

Mactagonist
Apr 13, 2010, 07:04 PM

Yeah, a lucky elite like those HD-DVD owners! :-p

I do expect Apple to continue the MBA line. It is not replaced by the iPad (which is an additive, client device) or by these newer MBP models. I think it will continue to be a laptop stripped to its most minimal essentials at the smallest size Apple considers usable.

The problem is that there just arnt many processor/gpu combinations Apple could add that will show a significant improvement. I wouldnt rule out a custom GPU like the one in the new MBP13 paired with the same old C2D, 4gb RAM standard, a bigger SSD option, newer momentum trackpad, better battery and built in 3g WWAN sometime soon. But Apple is going to take care of their higher volume MBP/MB line first. Their resources (mostly human) arnt infinite and it is a matter of priorities.

lily69
Apr 13, 2010, 07:11 PM
Am disappointed too but with hope.
Sony Vaio Z is very nice, tried it in Sony shop but I still want OSX.
I just need something from Apple with 13" and 4G RAM weighted less than 3lb...Hope it's come out in 2 months

darngooddesign
Apr 13, 2010, 07:28 PM

Yes, you and the PB 12" owners.

gimmi80
Apr 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah, a lucky elite like those HD-DVD owners! :-p

Hey what's the problem with the HD-DVD! I love to watch my HD DVDs:p

Just kidding, stil stuck with DVD.

splashnader
Apr 13, 2010, 08:01 PM
I thought I remember reading back when all the rumors were cooing out about the mbp updates, that in one of those articles they said they expected the MacBook air line to be updated in 2011. I couldn't believe that when I saw it because it is such a long time frame. I to am disappointed that there will be a longer wait for new MacBook Air.

coolguyalex
Apr 13, 2010, 08:28 PM
Just ordered a 21.5" iMac for home use and love the idea of the MBA as a portable, more so than a Pro. I think we've established that no one has any idea when Apple will upgrade their products or what they will upgrade but it would be nice to see the following things included:

Longer battery life
4Gb RAM
Faster processor
256Gb SSD
Glass trackpad
Higher res screen
Extra USB

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect most of these features, especially the first 3, considering what other brands have been able to do with their ultra-portables (HP & Sony namely). Here's hoping..

Fraaaa
Apr 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
Just ordered a 21.5" iMac for home use and love the idea of the MBA as a portable, more so than a Pro. I think we've established that no one has any idea when Apple will upgrade their products or what they will upgrade but it would be nice to see the following things included:

Longer battery life
4Gb RAM
Faster processor
256Gb SSD
Glass trackpad
Higher res screen
Extra USB

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect most of these features, especially the first 3, considering what other brands have been able to do with their ultra-portables (HP & Sony namely). Here's hoping..

+1

Battery life, RAM, SSD, Nice processor and Nice graphic card are my pinpoint.

raccoontail
Apr 13, 2010, 09:14 PM
it would be nice to see the following things included:
Longer battery life,4Gb RAM,Faster processor,256Gb SSD,Glass trackpad,Higher res screen,Extra USB

I'm super bummed there was no update. 4GB RAM and faster processor would be enough upgrade for me. I stopped by an Apple store to see the new laptops and confirmed the 13" macbook pro is just too heavy for my usage. (I currently have a 24" iMac and a $320 netbook). I'd love to upgrade to a MBA for the screen/keyboard size, but the performance just lags.. The 27" iMac felt "snappy" and responsive. The macbook pros were quick, but noticeably slower, and the MBA, well.. seemed comparable to my atom powered netbook, which despite having a smaller screen , has USBx3,VGA, and SD slot built in. Hard to justify the purchase until they bump the specs up.

Manatee
Apr 13, 2010, 09:32 PM

Longer battery life
4Gb RAM
Faster processor
256Gb SSD
Glass trackpad
Higher res screen
Extra USB

Those would be my optimal updates, although I'd settle for less. Assuming the form stays the same, is there a 256GB SSD on the market in 1.8" size?

coolguyalex
Apr 13, 2010, 10:04 PM
Those would be my optimal updates, although I'd settle for less. Assuming the form stays the same, is there a 256GB SSD on the market in 1.8" size?

I believe Samsung make one, not cheap though.

http://www.samsung.com/eu/business/semiconductor/products/ssd/Products_ssd.html

blairh
Apr 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
I see it currently as two levels.

Level one: Expect a MBA refresh come June. A new iPhone will be announced, makes sense to update the Air at that time too.

Level two: MBA does not get updated in the summer so we all get super pissed/annoyed, and expect an update come this fall. IF nothing happens this fall, then we should all seriously give up hope.

Until we hit level two, I say sit tight and expect something by then at the latest. There will always be a market for an ultra-portable and I believe Apple is smart enough to realize they need to offer us something new in order to compete in that category.

mobilevisual
Apr 14, 2010, 12:23 AM
Apple will not update the MBA any time soon, thanks to the Ipad. Yes, both served different target audiences: MBA serves the deep pocket users, while Ipad serves all pockets.

Apple held out on MBA updates to wait for EVERYONE to pick up the IPAD. Update the MBA now will eat in profit of IPAD. If Apple introduces new MBA now, those who buy (new) MBA would not go for IPAD, but those with Ipad today would/might buy MBA when Apple updates it. It's a smart move.

Honestly, I don't think Apple will discontinue the MBA, as it is a creative platform for Apple's dev team. 2 years after introduced, MBA is still the sexiest and most functional ultra portable. Those who bought the MBA don't required blistering performance, and MBA still serves this sector well, even today. C2D-2G DDR3-9400M will please 95% of us with ease (might even be 98%).

Apple will not update MBA till the Ipad craves go away (or dies down). They have no reason to.

Huubster
Apr 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
You just registered

No.

And whey don't you bother showing us what the competition is offering instead of taking your word for it?

I actually have bothered in other more appropriate threads. This is about "Sad day for the MacBook Air".

Huubster
Apr 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Apple dominates the >$1000 market and IIRC the 13" MBP is their best seller. Do you think it is possible that the reasons you think it is outdated just don't matter in the slightest to the majority of the market?

I think that it is very well possible. And that's making a lot of profit for Apple. And I accepted it up untill now. I was a happy MBA user for 2 years. They are pushing the boundaries though, and they've crossed mine. And others peoples boundaries as well as obviously can be read in the reactions.

striatedglutes
Apr 14, 2010, 01:47 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day.

On a more serious note, is Intel to blame here? What kind of processor makes sense for the next revision? Is the RAM limit because of space or because of an X-bit limited bus somewhere? Obviously they have 4GB chips out there now.

Steve has said it twice now with copy/paste and multitasking: "We weren't the first ones to do it, but we are the best" -- seems like it will apply to the next MBA revision as well.

Well, now doesn't that just suck. They finally convince me to buy a Mac and then kill the only reason I can see to do it. Gotta love it. Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.

I mean, they're not EOL yet

MartiNZ
Apr 14, 2010, 02:14 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day.

On a more serious note, is Intel to blame here? What kind of processor makes sense for the next revision? Is the RAM limit because of space or because of an X-bit limited bus somewhere? Obviously they have 4GB chips out there now.

Steve has said it twice now with copy/paste and multitasking: "We weren't the first ones to do it, but we are the best" -- seems like it will apply to the next MBA revision as well.

That last seems kind of ironic given that the iPhone implementation of copy and paste sucks and all I want is a way to turn it off, like so many a Windows feature. I hope the next MBA doesn't have stuff like that :D.

striatedglutes
Apr 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
That last seems kind of ironic given that the iPhone implementation of copy and paste sucks and all I want is a way to turn it off, like so many a Windows feature. I hope the next MBA doesn't have stuff like that :D.

Out of curiosity, why do you think so? I don't have experience with any other implementations of copy and paste on any other handsets, but it works great for what I do with it.

Scottsdale
Apr 14, 2010, 04:20 PM
Even when updated, the MBA isn't going to compete well against the Sony Vaio Z. The Z is a nice computer to migrate to that is the weight of the MBA but you need more power than a MBP. An MBP doesn't even compete with the Sony Vaio Z in my opinion. It's sad really. What I thought was Apple would use the Sony Vaio Z as a vision in its upgrades to the MBPs... oh well. MBPs still stuck with 256 and 512 MB VRAM and still at 4.5 lb. and still has DVD not Blu Ray... and still not a Vaio Z.

The MBA should just focus on making itself usable in today's tech times... 2 GB of RAM is a joke. Everything else is acceptable except the price vs. 10 months ago.

seveej
Apr 14, 2010, 05:12 PM

My Wife's got the Rev.C 1,86GHz model, and I (the geek) think it would have deserved an SSD, but honestly it's perfect for her needs. Sure everything would run quicker on an SSD/more RAM/higher Ghz, but guys&gals, lets be honest. What can you expect? What should you dare to expect?

Let me explain.

As someone here noted, Apple has a higher profit to revenue share than the rest of the industry, which we might as well dub the Windustry. Also any company, however big the cash reserves are, needs to fulfill market expectations. What this actually means is that for a product to fit into Apple's lineup (which for a company of its size is unusually coherent) it has to either reach at least the uniformly expected profit-to-sales ratio (money makers) or to sufficiently strengthen the entire lineup (supporting products).

In the Windustry, sexing up the specs is one significant method to compete against otherwise comparable competitors. In Apple Garden it's different. The last ten years of Jobs have divided the user field in two (warning: caricature and gross exaggeration and oversimplification follow): Those who use a mac at work and relax at home with a netbook/PS3 and those who use a PC at work and relax at home with their macbooks and minis.

Therefore, there are two types of macusers. Those who will get sufficiently close to state-of-the-art performance, and pay a hefty premium for it and those who'll get slightly outdated, last generation hardware, for a lesser (but still existent) premium. Face it. In every case you'd get the silicon cheaper from anyone else, who's not bundling it with MacOS.

And do not make the mistake of thinking that Apple does not know how to be competitive. It does not want to be competitive if it can be avoided. That's the only way to be super-normally profitable.

For those who buy a mac for personal use either because it does not remind them of work, It looks better, makes them stand out, fit's into the decor - performance is not an issue. They are lured in by the way the product looks, by the promise of no virus/trojan-hassle and most importantly, by the promise of simple beauty. Those who enter seeking design are not prone to exit seeking performance.

IMHO the MB, MBA, MBP, MP and iMac (forget the pads, pods, phones and broaches) all have their cleverly thought-out market segments to which they cater. You want power 24/7, get the MP, You want occasional power (so that compiling your holiday DVD doesn't take ages, or you don't mind paying a premium to make your computer part of your avant-garde decor) get an iMac. If you want mobility, but don't need power, get the MB. If you need that power, get the MBP, and if the most important thing is that it's 700 grams less to carry, get the MBA (If you don't need connectivity and optical, that is).

A typical example of Apple's will to keep it like this is the MacBook (Alu), which was very quickly discontinued and rebranded "Pro" (admittedly with minor alterations), why? If you look back, there often was not so big a performance gap between the iBook(g4) and the PoweBook (G4), naturally the iBook was intentionally crippled, but many cost-conscious people know how to uncripple it. Color was the significant difference. In a mac-world where the size of your virtual penis/breasts is defined by the (easily indentifiable) hardware you carry, color is the key element. The same naturally carried over into the intel era, with the basic macbook (white, yuck), "blackbook" (black) and macbook pro (silver). And so Apple (I still do not REALLY know why) launches a silver MacBook, sturdier, stylier, lighter, with clearly the best performance to date.
As we know it stayed short-lived and some have (with more or less humor involved) taken to calling it the "collector's edition"... Fact remains: The MB(Alu) 2,4 Ghz is still the MB with the highest performance in a MB to date.

Before I go to my final comments (I'm not as bored as you might think), I'd like to point out that one anomaly is the current 13" MBP. I've stated it's ancestry above, and IMNSHO, It does not belong into the MBP line any more than the 12" PB ever did. The MBP 13" is to be seen as the MacBook Deluxe, not really a part of the MBP proper-lineup. If you don't believe me, check the price-hierarchy and tell me I'm wrong.

Back to the MBA:
And this might hurt some feelings and (hopefully) crush some misdirected expectations...

Ultraportability is seen as important in two market segments, one growing, one waning. The growing segment is the Prada lady, the stylish female professional who needs her computer to go everywhere but it has to be light, it may in no case require a carrying bag tagged Targus, and should fit in with the designer apparel. The waning segment is the weight conscious geek who gets extra kudos for showing off that his miniscule computer can do everything the other persons 3 times bigger monster does.

Of these the MBA's intended market segment is ... well I need probably not say.

So I'd not expect the MBA's performance to ever rival that of a MBP, and at best to in some cases hold it's own against the MB. Do not expect Apple to renew the MBA before it is a blemish on the rest of the product line, because anything which has the sales volume of the MBA IS a supporting product. And if this is a tune you don't want to sing to, bug out ASAP, either up the ladder to 13" MBP (which is the 2nd lightest mac) or make the jump to Windows, because this is how it is, and will remain until Apple decides to make all our computers mac's (At which stage they need to rethink their strategy).

Thanks and apologies.
Pekka

robeddie
Apr 14, 2010, 05:18 PM
I think that it is very well possible. And that's making a lot of profit for Apple. And I accepted it up untill now. I was a happy MBA user for 2 years. They are pushing the boundaries though, and they've crossed mine. And others peoples boundaries as well as obviously can be read in the reactions.

That's because there's a lot of people here who are babies who are more interested in 'keeping up with the Joneses' than really using their computer.

As has been observed before, these forums are made up of overly tech conscious macheads who have their self worth invested in whether or not their Macbook Air (or MBP, or MB or MP) EXACTLY measures up to a similar PC counterpart.

Step back, think about what you really use your computer for. Most of the time, you're processor is running at 800mhz (energy efficient mode), most of the time, you never come NEAR using 4 gigs of friggin' memory. Most of the time, you just do what we all do: Write some documents, surf the web, email, edit a video or two.

To be so emotional that your little Macbook Air doesn't have the latest and greatest EVERYTHING is retarded.

Bottom line, quit whining like a baby and just don't buy the dang thing. Apple is obviously kicking ass financially. They don't need you. They don't care about you whiny little b-tards.

gnight.

theLimit
Apr 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
In light of the very disappointing update to the 13" Pro, the lack of any info on an update for the Air, and the fact that I have been without a laptop for the past five weeks, I went ahead and bought myself a 2.13GHz Air.

There was no way I could justify Apple's $1800 price tag, but I managed to find one locally for $1300 with six months of warranty remaining. I figure that if a substantial update does eventually happen, I can eBay this one and not take a huge loss. If no update happens, I have a decent enough computer to use for at least the next half year or so. If I need more power down the line, maybe the next Pro update will offer something closer to my needs, if I'm not spoiled by the form factor of the Air by then.

In any case, I got a machine that I can use for the time being, at a more fair price than Apple's non-adjusted price for nearly year-old hardware. I also successfully avoided the iPad fever.

striatedglutes
Apr 14, 2010, 05:36 PM
I enjoyed your post! What do you think about the business traveler demographic and the MBA? Growing or waning?

Looks like you can get an Adamo for $1800 with 2.1GHz C2D, 4GB of ram and a 256GB SSD. Max thickness is 0.11" less. I imagine this is the kind of spec bump we'll see with the next MBA, form factor unchanged.

seveej
Apr 14, 2010, 05:56 PM
I enjoyed your post! What do you think about the business traveler demographic and the MBA? Growing or waning

The independent (Operating system independent) business traveller chooses his or her computer based primarily on the operating system of choice, secondarily on desired specs.

Given that the MBA is already a few years old, and that every MacOS susceptible ultraportable-lover probably already has an MBA, I'd say that the growth of the percentage of business travelers choosing the MBA is purely dependent upon the IT policies of the large employers (whether they condone MacOS or not).

Pekka

AppliedMicro
Apr 14, 2010, 06:57 PM
MBPs still stuck with 256 and 512 MB VRAM
VRAM is so totally overrated...

MartiNZ
Apr 14, 2010, 08:02 PM
Out of curiosity, why do you think so? I don't have experience with any other implementations of copy and paste on any other handsets, but it works great for what I do with it.

More so the fact that the interface gets in the way doing things that were fine before cut and paste came to the iPhone, combined with the fact that I have not had any desire to cut/paste on the iPhone - neither before nor after it was possible.

Originally going back to edit text further up in an email/note/text was very quick and painless - since cut and paste it always brings up the buttons and assumes I want to select a range, which is never the case, and of course there is no way to turn it off. Just like the equally annoying feature of apps like Mail and Safari rotating to landscape when there is no conceivable reason I would want them to and it just makes browsing while lying down more annoying. The iPad's rotation lock switch is a good sign, but I don't see it coming to the iPhone unless they can work out a combination with the silence switch.

striatedglutes
Apr 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
More so the fact that the interface gets in the way doing things that were fine before cut and paste came to the iPhone, combined with the fact that I have not had any desire to cut/paste on the iPhone - neither before nor after it was possible.

Originally going back to edit text further up in an email/note/text was very quick and painless - since cut and paste it always brings up the buttons and assumes I want to select a range, which is never the case, and of course there is no way to turn it off.

Ah, I guess I used to notice it more in that situation as well, but I've grown accustomed to it and think it's a small price to pay.

Just like the equally annoying feature of apps like Mail and Safari rotating to landscape when there is no conceivable reason I would want them to and it just makes browsing while lying down more annoying. The iPad's rotation lock switch is a good sign, but I don't see it coming to the iPhone unless they can work out a combination with the silence switch.

No doubt they are working on this, and that a ton of users are frustrated (myself included).

halledise
Apr 15, 2010, 06:26 PM
Folks keep saying that. But: it gains beaucoup battery life, double the base RAM and a kickin' graphics processor. What's not to like?

C2D is no slug. I absolutely hammer my once-high-end 15" unibody MBP which just happens to have the same 2.66 C2D that you can now get on the 13". It never lets me down, even when running several virtual machines simultaneously. It's a 100% solid performer, and now you can get it in the 13". What's not to like?

+1 !! :cool:

MartiNZ
Apr 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
+1 !! :cool:

I guess partly the fact that performance indicators place it close to the 15" from 2 years ago, with the potential for faster internal drive and the potential for more RAM, adding which take it close to the price of the 15" that is much better than the 15" from 2 years ago.

I guess that's where people keep coming back to the 12" PB of old. Its main reduction was in size vs the 15". It retained discrete graphics albeit the lousy geforce 5200 IIRC, most of the laptops suffered from low soldered RAM back then. If the 13" of today was just smaller than the 15" it would be an awesome product; if the MBA was just a lot smaller, it would be unbelievable.

THX1139
Apr 16, 2010, 06:18 AM
Apple is slowly over time becoming primarily a very large mobile device and content distribution company. I see them as becoming to the everyday user like what Microsoft did to the business user years ago. Go into any business office and Microsoft products are norm. Apple wants to have that same kind of entrenchment in personal devices and they are already well on their way. The profits are in the mobile sector... not in niche products. If you owned a business and 90% of your income came from a particular sector, wouldn't it make practical sense to focus all of your energy there? Especially if there was a lot of competition to take over that market and you're already the leader? Why divert any attention to products that don't bring nearly the revenue and actually drain resources from your cash cow? Don't believe they are doing that? Look for yourself... there is a long list of devices and software that hasn't been touched by Apple in years. Most of these things are one day away from discontinuation. And it's not like they don't have the resources either... they just choose to focus on the mobile market because they see that as their future. It just makes good business sense.

So, mark my words. Within the next ten years, Apple will be out of the desktop and professional software application markets. Why develop application software when you can have others develop "apps for that" and then just take a percentage from each sale? Apple will develop the ultra cool hand held devices and the provide opportunities to sell content and cheap software applications. It's already a multi-billion dollar industry and it's growing fast. Where does the Macbook Air fit into all this? Nowhere. Don't feel bad, it's called progress.

mcgrat07
Apr 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've been waiting for a new MBA for months and months. If they come out with a new one, it will be my first Mac. Otherwise, I won't bother. A 5 pound Mac is not much more attractive than any of the 5 pound Windows laptops I have.

gri
Apr 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've been waiting for a new MBA for months and months. If they come out with a new one, it will be my first Mac. Otherwise, I won't bother. A 5 pound Mac is not much more attractive than any of the 5 pound Windows laptops I have.

Same here - just bought a refurbished one (MBA) for the wait time...

AppliedMicro
Apr 16, 2010, 01:00 PM
If you owned a business and 90% of your income came from a particular sector, wouldn't it make practical sense to focus all of your energy there?
Let's take a quick trip down memory lane... 10 years ago, Apple Computer was a small yet profitable computer and software manufacturer.
What did most of its income come from?
So what did the company do?
Focus on its cash cows?

Why divert any attention to products that don't bring nearly the revenue and actually drain resources from your cash cow?
On october 23rd, 2001, Apple Computer officially went into the business of selling high-end portable music players.

Why develop application software when you can have others develop "apps for that" and then just take a percentage from each sale?
Simple enough: "Some apps" can't provide integrated solutions for professionals. Also... why close down a multi-million dollar business providing a healthy stream of revenues and income, if you don't need to?

So, mark my words. Within the next ten years, Apple will be out of the desktop and professional software application markets.
I'd bet you they won't.
Though Apple will be a stronger diversified company by then.

gwsat
Apr 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
I'd bet you they [Apple] won't [be out of the desktop and professional software application markets within 10 years].
Though Apple will be a stronger diversified company by then.
I don't know where to come down on this issue. Although the iPhone and iPod have been incredible cash cows for Apple, and the iPad bodes well to become another one, Apple still makes a substantial percentage of its profits from computers and software. Nevertheless, I can see the possibility that Apple might abandon the Mac Pro and OS X server. I think the chances of Apple dropping the iMac and stopping development of OS X, though, range between slim and none.

justit
Apr 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Patience guys and gals, the air is a high end machine and apple are putting a lot of thought in there on what's next for it, hence the wait. It is a sad day indeed, I agree, but I suggest some patience for prospective buyers. It always pays off in the end.

The thought you refer to is battery and it can't keep it's thin/light promise without increasing size/weight of battery. If it can't solve this problem, which I doubt, it's bye bye MBA.

blindcorpse
Apr 19, 2010, 07:15 AM
The technical level of discussion on this thread is impressive, and reading it I am just about convinced that Apple cannot produce any upgrade to the MBA until and unless Intel provides a new high-MHz low-energy CPU.

But what about the earlier news from the Apple Daily (actually a Hong Kong newspaper), indicating that MBPs and MBAs were already in production? The Chinese article included the line 採用英特爾超低電壓處理器(UM)推改版MacBook Air, or "using Intel's ultra-low-voltage processor (UM) to remake the MacBook Air."

Now, the Apple Daily isn't infallible, but it is explicit. Maybe there is a new MBA already under production?

gwsat
Apr 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
The thought you refer to is battery and it can't keep it's thin/light promise without increasing size/weight of battery. If it can't solve this problem, which I doubt, it's bye bye MBA.
I agree. I have been using an iPad for the past week and it has convinced me that for a truly portable device, battery life is a paramount consideration. Every ultra portable device, whether the iPad or a netbook, at the low end, to an MBA or a Sony Vaio Z, at the high end, is a series of compromises. The smaller and lighter the device, the more convenient it is to carry around. The iPad does that well, of course, but at the expense of a limited browser, limited application software, and limited data storage. On the other hand, the MBA and the Z will do everything a bigger computer would do but at the expense of the clumsiness of a clamshell setup that has to be open to be used. Also, even those ultra lightweight computers weigh twice as much as an iPad. My conclusion, based on using an iPad for the past week, is that there is no ultra lightweight device that is both small and light enough, and powerful enough. And that's even without addressing the dramatic difference in battery life between the two classes. You pays your money and you takes your choice. :)

BornAgainMac
Apr 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
You mean the iPhone, iPod and iPad are Apple's bread and butter.

The Air is the water stuff that comes out of a mustard bottle. I hope they update it it this year. Just double the memory, HD, and battery and I am in.

.summerfree
Apr 19, 2010, 04:00 PM
Relax, y'all. I'm sure an MBA update will come out soon. It might be tomorrow, it might be a month from now...there's no need for tears and negativity, just patience. Besides, I'm sure Apple's tied up with the iPad launch, the new MBPs, and now, the leaked 4G iPhone (Prototype?).

justit
Apr 19, 2010, 04:58 PM
Relax, y'all. I'm sure an MBA update will come out soon.

I think the discussion is that the same time last year the MBA was updated with it's cousins. No one singled it our except for small by-lines and footnotes. The mainstream press didn't analyze the rev C on it's own merits.

This year it got missed.

Apple gets a LOT (bit too much) pres coverage for any type of updates (even soft updates). The conundrum is if the MBA gets updated, with a moderate bump in specs, there will be far more negative press as the MBA has always been seen to many as an under performer with serious problems on its first launch. And this year it's not the only ultra light weight mobile device.

Minimum spec bumps will not overcome the negativity.

So there's only 2 options left:

(A) It's EOL for MBA
(B) They completely come out with a blazing new, re-invented MBA

I'm in the (A) camp

chrono1081
Apr 20, 2010, 04:26 AM
Relax, y'all. I'm sure an MBA update will come out soon. It might be tomorrow, it might be a month from now...there's no need for tears and negativity, just patience. Besides, I'm sure Apple's tied up with the iPad launch, the new MBPs, and now, the leaked 4G iPhone (Prototype?).

+1 people seem to forget that not all products update at the same time.

I don't ever remembering where the MBA updated at the same time the MBPs and MB's updated. (Notice the MBs didn't get an update but noone is freaking out...)

MartiNZ
Apr 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
The only times the MBA has been updated so far have been at the same time as MBP updates. The MB has been on a separate schedule since they reinvented it.

.summerfree
Apr 21, 2010, 03:09 AM
So there's only 2 options left:

(A) It's EOL for MBA
(B) They completely come out with a blazing new, re-invented MBA

I'm in the (A) camp

I'll admit, I could be wrong and there may be reason to believe that, considering what happened between Intel and Nvidia, the MBA might go EOL. I mean, Apple might barely get away with the 13" MBP still using C2Ds, but a premium $1500 product like the MBA? I personally wouldn't mind (I'd like to see 4GB of ram and a battery life bump at least), but the rest of the tech world will most likely be outraged at the fact. I dunno, either way, my original point is that people need to chill out lol.

iZac
Apr 21, 2010, 06:17 AM
I guess the issue is the same as with the 13" macbook, the new core i3s / i5s require Intels gimped integrated GPU, so Apple would have been forced to basically only update the GPU to the new nVidia 320M that the 13" MBP sports. But perhaps there's simply a size issue, not enough space for the GPU either way.

Either the Air gets a different processor which isnít hindered by this licensing issue, or it doesnít get updated until the Intel / nVidia standoff is resolved.

Overclocked A4, anyone?

blairh
Apr 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
I think we will see a MBA refresh come June during the new iPhone keynote. Makes sense, no? Either they refresh the specs (longer battery life, slight bump in processor) or they unveil a new design altogether.

Scottsdale
Apr 21, 2010, 03:38 PM
I think we will see a MBA refresh come June during the new iPhone keynote. Makes sense, no? Either they refresh the specs (longer battery life, slight bump in processor) or they unveil a new design altogether.

I think any update between now and WWDC will include the same SL9x00 CPU series and an Nvidia 320m. I believe the update will be a quiet one before WWDC. Then, I expect to see a completely new MBA in late 2010 or early 2011. If we don't get an update by WWDC, then Apple is waiting for a different chip for the MBA. It isn't happy with the current Arrandale CPUs, but it might be happy with the next Intel CPUs that sport the same TDP and double the graphics performance.

I expect small bump to SL9600, Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM, 192/256 GB SSD in the high end, and a glass trackpad. This will happen before or at WWDC. I give this an 80% likelihood based on Apple's track record of using one chip series, GPU, chipset across five Macs since October 2008. The 13" MBP got the update first because it is Apple's biggest seller.

If no update by WWDC, then Apple will wait for the next series of chips in late 2010 or early 2011. I say there's a 20% chance that this is the next update and Apple skips an update by or at WWDC.

I see no chance of EOL of the MBA. It wouldn't make sense. Plenty of people are interested even with the same CPU and chipset. What potential MBA buyers want is 4 GB of RAM and more drive space.

In all truth, there is no reason to unveil this update at WWDC. It's nothing new. If there was anything new and completely grand for the MBA, it would come a lot later than WWDC. Apple doesn't like the current Arrandale CPUs with GMA IGP. Any Mac that is sold will be a C2D or have dedicated graphics. Since the MBA doesn't have the space, no Arrandale in the MBA until the graphics get a lot better. Or, Apple sticks with C2D. I have to believe that Apple understands that people are really happy with the MBA's capabilities, but they just want more RAM and more drive space.

entatlrg
Apr 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
I wish Apple would give some kind of indication what their plans are with the Air .... they're known to be very secretive I realize but, they've talked or been open about other products in the past. Apple TV for example they've made their position clear ... it's still a hobby for them and not a focus.

Apple is super profitable with more cash than they know what to do with. The Air is making them money, not as much as other products no doubt but they knew before they released it along with how they priced it that's for a niche market.

So this niche market loves the product and here we sit ... everyone around us has iPad fever .... Apple is making tons of money via the app store with ipad app's already ... who knows where we're going to end up with the Air...

I hope it's not the odd man out. Over time the 13" MBP will become lighter, thinner that's a natural evolution for that product ... plus the iPad will become more capable and someday (hopefully) more 'notebook like' and more suitable for creating material...

Does this squeeze the MBA out? Maybe. Depends how you look at it ... in one way S Jobs could be an MBA lover throwing cash at the project to do something amazing ... in another way could S Jobs can be so iPad crazy that he can't wait to EOL the product ... he could be testing/using prototype products such as a spec'd out iPad that makes the Air obsolete ... it's all speculation and hoping.

I wish Apple would give a hint either way.

I'd almost like to send a note to sjobs at Apple asking about the MBA and see if by slight chance he replied.

Earendil
Apr 21, 2010, 06:38 PM
My guess is that releasing a new Macbook Air right now would not help Apple one bit.

Right now all eyes (especially the media) are on the iPad. No one but us cares about the MBA and how well it does in it's opening weekend/quarter. But the iPad is in its make or break moment.

While the price points of each are extremely different, the fact is that for some people just looking for ultra portable with lots of cash to spend, may be choosing an iPad. If Apple were to flash a bright shiny new MBA at the same time, at least SOME sales would go to it.

Same thing with the iPhone I bet. Even if it were ready, there is no way Apple would release it now. I'd look for MBA updates this summer.

E=H2O
Apr 26, 2010, 05:10 PM
I guess this discussion died. I found it because I am one of those people out there just looking for some information so I can spend the money burning a hole in my pocket.

If Apple updates the MBA, I'll be the first in line. If they don't I won't buy one. If I don't get a MBA I'll wait a year for the 2nd generation iPad. This is good news for me (I get to keep my cash for a year) bad for Apple (they lose a sale). Heck, I might just buy myself a carbon fiber road bike. That way I'd own 5 bikes. Right now I have a Mt. Bike, a Titanium road bike, a carbon fiber Time Trial bike and an old chrome moly road bike that hangs up in the basement. At least with computers I have the sense to pass them on to family members.

It would seem that I fit the Apple profile for a MBA customer.

gri
Apr 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
I guess this discussion died. I found it because I am one of those people out there just looking for some information so I can spend the money burning a hole in my pocket.

If Apple updates the MBA, I'll be the first in line. If they don't I won't buy one. If I don't get a MBA I'll wait a year for the 2nd generation iPad. This is good news for me (I get to keep my cash for a year) bad for Apple (they lose a sale). Heck, I might just buy myself a carbon fiber road bike. That way I'd own 5 bikes. Right now I have a Mt. Bike, a Titanium road bike, a carbon fiber Time Trial bike and an old chrome moly road bike that hangs up in the basement. At least with computers I have the sense to pass them on to family members.

It would seem that I fit the Apple profile for a MBA customer.

Consider buying a refurbished one from Apple. The 1.83/128 SSD is 20% of. I decided that I didn't want to wait until all eternity, shlepping my heavy MBP and than next update again no new MBA. So I bought one. LOVE it, great for my purpose (writing on the road , giving talks). IF a new one comes I will get that one as well (but probably I will wait now if it still has the C2D, which will be dead by the end of the year anyway and skip one). Might happen at WWDC (unlikely given the focus on iPad, iPhone) or early 2011 (new chip than as well).