View Full Version : MacBook Air mini petition - SIGN HERE

Marx55
Apr 13, 2010, 04:25 PM
Sign here the petition for a smaller MacBook Air:

http://macbookair10.net

Thanks!

Synchromesh
Apr 13, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'm perfectly happy with its current size and I hate netbooks exactly because of their puny screens and tiny awful keyboards.

Marx55
Apr 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm perfectly happy with its current size and I hate netbooks exactly because of their puny screens and tiny awful keyboards.

It is not for heavy work on it. It is mainly to make it ultra-portable (light and small), for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

hoogen82
Apr 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
I would sign a petition for a 15" MBA not a 10"...

Hands Sandon
Apr 13, 2010, 06:05 PM

+1.

A 14" would be nice too, if they can fit that in the same footprint as the current Air than an added bonus.

darngooddesign
Apr 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
No thank you.

Grimace
Apr 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
For the need you described...get an iPad. Keynote, Pages, Numbers via the Dock--VGA out for presentations!

And, because it needs to be said, just because you have a use for it, that doesn't mean that tens of thousands of others would too. It has to be popular and profitable.

Apple doesn't want to make every product, and doesn't want every customer. The company has a targeted group of products and people - and they stick to making great products for that niche market only, expanding only when they can do it really well, and when there is a solid profit potential on millions of units over X years.

dudup
Apr 13, 2010, 07:52 PM

+1!

ProstheticHead
Apr 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
It is not for heavy work on it. It is mainly to make it ultra-portable (light and small), for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

I think I've solved your problem.

www.apple.com/ipad

You can stop this petition now.

Marx55
Apr 14, 2010, 06:40 AM
Unfortunately, the iPad does not deliver:

- Cannot open properly Keynote presentations (.key) created on a Mac. Data is lost. Search Google to find it.

- Cannot open properly PowerPoint presentations (.ppt) created on a Mac. Even using the new DataViz Documents to Go to be released soon (NDA). Data is lost.

And the explanation is simple: the iPad is great, but it is not a Mac. To use properly Keynote and PowerPoint files created on a Mac, you need a Mac. The plain truth.

sammich
Apr 14, 2010, 06:42 AM
How big is the MBA market anyway? How would it benefit Apple to release a rather expensive laptop that would be competing against netbooks that are much cheaper?

Hack a Dell Mini 10v?

Marx55
Apr 14, 2010, 10:44 AM
There is a large market of light and small hackintoshes simply because Apple does not make such Mac. It does not mean to remove the current MacBook Air model. It means to add other small model to the line. One half to one third the weight of the current MacBook Air.

hitekalex
Apr 14, 2010, 11:46 AM
One half to one third the weight of the current MacBook Air.

Are you for real? The current MBA weighs 3lbs. You want Apple to build a 1lb laptop for you, when an iPad is 1.5lbs? Dell Mini is 2.5lbs, so practically the same weight as current MBA (but a heck of a lot less useful).

With technology available today - there is no way an MBA can be made much smaller/lighter and still be "a computer". You are wasting your time.

Marx55
Apr 14, 2010, 11:57 AM
Are you for real? The current MBA weighs 3lbs. You want Apple to build a 1lb laptop for you, when an iPad is 1.5lbs? Dell Mini is 2.5lbs, so practically the same weight as current MBA (but a heck of a lot less useful).

With technology available today - there is no way an MBA can be made much smaller/lighter and still be "a computer". You are wasting your time.

It is possible: Umid mBook Bz is a full computer with just 363 g
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/UMID/BZ

Again, this is not for heavy work, but mainly for presentations as indicated above.

Another alternative would be an approach like the Sony Vaio P Series (635 g), which would make also a great MacBook Air mini
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Sony/Vaio%20P500/VGN-P530H

Note that the current MacBook Air is much heavier (1.3 kg) and larger.

Alandrafts
Apr 14, 2010, 12:49 PM
Obviously, these things are all about personal preference and what works for one person may not work for another . . . but, personally, I find the 10-inch laptop an idea that looks great on paper but really doesn't come through in practice (and, trust me, I've learned this the hard way). I love the MBA *precisely* because it has a full size keyboard and a big (enough) screen. And I loved my Dell Mini when I bought it -- but after a week it began its hermitic existence in my drawer. The keyboards are just too small (and, sorry, '91 percent full-size' or however they put it just doesn't cut it when you touch type), and the screens too small (oddly, I find the smaller screen of the iPad no problem at all; perhaps because the smaller size works better with a touch interface than with mouse/trackpad.

If a 15-inch MBA meant a bigger battery and a couple more hours of juice, I'd gladly take the extra ounces.

But frankly, instead of petitioning Apple to make a smaller MBA, I feel like petitioning them to keep the MBA at all. I've got a bad vibe that it's not long for this world and that has me very worried, because I think it's really the perfect ultraportable, just big enough and light enough to work.

caonimadebi
Apr 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
Someone else on this thread beat me to it, but let me say it again: hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v and you've got yourself a 10" Macbook Air.
Apple probably scoffs at this segment ("netbooks" as they say) of the PC market, especially given its refusal to compete on price.

stefobb
Apr 14, 2010, 01:51 PM
No thanks, especially since they would start working on one more project and I want them all concentrated on making a great MBA Rev. D :apple:

I think that the 13" full screen in a laptop as light as the MBA is what makes it special. I bought the Air mainly because I got tired of those stupid netbooks with baby-finger keyboards and weird resolution screens, but I still wanted a really portable laptop to be able to take to university and not feel like I'm carrying one more thick book. I love it :D

I personally don't feel the iPad as useful, but in this case, I would prefer to wait for Apple to work a bit on it, fix the problems with Keynote, improve it, and it might be what you're looking for.

Scottsdale
Apr 14, 2010, 02:01 PM
How disgusting. The MBA's size is its advantage. One can view a real full size 13" display while cutting the weight and thickness. The reason why the MBA is successful as a premium device is the full sized display and keyboard while removing unneeded weight.

The iPad is Apple's 10" device, not the MBA. If Apple is to change the MBA, it had certainly better be to ADD a 10" MBA not to change the 13" MBA into a 10" MBA.

Quite frankly, this is a waste of time... Apple definitely would prefer selling a 10" iPad over a 10" MBA. The reason why is people will spend more and more money on apps and content on the iPad that they can usually get for free on the MBA.

sanPietro98
Apr 14, 2010, 02:07 PM

Isn't that the niche an iPad fills?

hitekalex
Apr 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
It is possible: Umid mBook Bz is a full computer with just 363 g
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/UMID/BZ

Again, this is not for heavy work, but mainly for presentations as indicated above.

Another alternative would be an approach like the Sony Vaio P Series (635 g), which would make also a great MacBook Air mini
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Sony/Vaio%20P500/VGN-P530H

Note that the current MacBook Air is much heavier (1.3 kg) and larger.

And we all know how well these form factors have done in the market place! :rolleyes:

So why don't you just get this Vaio P clamshell.. or even a WinMo phone? You can certainly playback PPT presentations on them (not so sure about KeyNote).

The point is.. you will never ever see anything resembling these devices from Apple. Absolutely zero chance. That's what they position iPad for. MBA is the smallest form factor it will get for full MacOS computers.

Marx55
Apr 14, 2010, 05:28 PM
OK, here is the deal: a complete MacBook Air line of three models (all three available at the Apple Store to choose from):

MacBook Air 7-inch. Pocketable.
MacBook Air 10-inch. Portable.
MacBook Air 13-inch. Current.

I get the first one for sure.

Fraaaa
Apr 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
OK, here is the deal: a complete MacBook Air line of three models (all three available at the Apple Store to choose from):

Don't forget:

MacBook Air Mini 5"
MacBook Air Nano 3.5"

akbc
Apr 14, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'd rather have apple to redo/add to the current MBA.

- Get rid of those ugly bezel! either pack a 14" screen in the current form factor, or cut the bezel and make the size smaller, keeping the full-sized keyboard and 13" screen.

- 4GB of RAM

- Kensington Lock Slot

With the above, the MBA would be the perfect computer for me. I'm actually quite satisfied with 9400m and C2D in this form factor. No others could do it this thin and this nicely. But with the above upgrades, I'd be drooling all over the place as I get out my credit card. :D

alphaod
Apr 14, 2010, 06:17 PM
Next thing we know, we'll have watch-sized MacBooks. :eek:

Scottsdale
Apr 14, 2010, 06:57 PM

Get an iPhone or an iPad. Seriously, you're dreaming if you expect Apple to compete there with the MBA. It's not going to happen even with millions of requests. Move on and look at the iPhone or iPad. Apple is supposedly even working on a 6" iPad, so there you go!

Hackint0sh
Apr 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
I would buy a 10" or 11" MBA the day they hit the market. :)

frimple
Apr 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
What a hilarious thread...:rolleyes:

gimmi80
Apr 14, 2010, 08:42 PM
I would love to have a more powerful ipad with mac OS. Let's say that I would like the actual spec of the macbook air in an ipad form. The virtual keyboard is ok but I would suggest a foldable bluetooth keyboard.

Scottsdale
Apr 14, 2010, 10:47 PM
I would love to have a more powerful ipad with mac OS. Let's say that I would like the actual spec of the macbook air in an ipad form. The virtual keyboard is ok but I would suggest a foldable bluetooth keyboard.

Agreed. The day the iPad can run Mac OS X applications, everything changes!

Let's remember the iPad has a 1 Ghz CPU and 256 MB of RAM. The MBA has a 2.13 GHz Intel CPU and 2 GB of RAM. An iPad with those specs would be a hell of a tool especially running OS X.

Marx55
Apr 15, 2010, 01:23 AM
Get the facts:

- As great as the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are, they are not Macs and they cannot replace a Mac on many situations. They are different beasts for different purposes.

- People are buying netbooks and making hackintoshes not just because of lower price, but mainly because they are light and small. You have the Sony Vaio P as an example. It is light, small and very expensive, yet being a success.

- This kind of light and small Mac is not for heavy work on it. It is to carry it always with you for light work and it is ideal for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations that cannot be done with the iPad as explained above. So, you make the presentation on your desktop Mac, move the file to the small Mac and carry it in your pocket or purse. As can be done with the Vaio P.

- The key is the weight (no more than 600 g or so) and the size (smaller, the better).

Scottsdale
Apr 15, 2010, 01:44 AM
Get the facts:

- As great as the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are, they are not Macs and they cannot replace a Mac on many situations. They are different beasts for different purposes.

- People are buying netbooks and making hackintoshes not just because of lower price, but mainly because they are light and small. You have the Sony Vaio P as an example. It is light, small and very expensive, yet being a success.

- This kind of light and small Mac is not for heavy work on it. It is to carry it always with you for light work and it is ideal for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations that cannot be done with the iPad as explained above. So, you make the presentation on your desktop Mac, move the file to the small Mac and carry it in your pocket or purse. As can be done with the Vaio P.

- The key is the weight (no more than 600 g or so) and the size (smaller, the better).

The iPad does Keynote which also presents PowerPoint, and it does everything more energy efficient by utilizing an ARM system in chip vs. Intel CPU, GPU, chipset, and etc. The iPad is the portability and performance YOU want, you just don't realize it yet. I seriously advise you to go try an iPad if you think Apple needs a 10" MBA. Tell me why exactly Apple should change the MBA from 13" to 10." Tell me why this makes sense? Tell me who wants this? Explain the user and the market better. Explain how this isn't falling into the exact same trap as netbooks which are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Like I said before, the day the iPad runs Mac OS X everything changes. I really think you're barking up the wrong tree to expect a 10" MBA. Apple would definitely prefer selling iPads to 10" MBAs. There is no doubt there. I just think you're wasting your time and energy to promote something that isn't going to happen and if it involves a transformation of the MBA not an addition to the product it would be devastating.

The MBA has been a success because it offers a MB like experience from an ultraportable. People are NOT happy with netbook like devices, which is why Apple hasn't introduced a netbook. Apple has done their research, and if a 10" MBA made more sense than an iPad, it would have already released the 10" MBA. Apple knows what the rest of us know, when wanting a computer there is a certain minimum level of quality and performance we're willing to accept, and it's a 13" MBA.

I believe a 15" MBA makes more sense... that's true if you read posts by people. Apple is wasting space on MBPs with outdated optical drives that essentially do nothing but waste space and weight which could be eliminated if not used with a current tech like BluRay. Some people want portable but also want 15" of display, they don't need optical, and they want lightweight and thin. I seriously welcome the addition of 15" MBAs, but I don't believe Apple would waste any time taking attention away from the iPad and giving it to a 10" MBA.

It doesn't make ANY business sense to have competing products that market to the same user or to too small of an audience. Who is willing to buy this 10" MBA? Selling apps and content makes more sense via the iPad model. What you're talking about in a 10" MBA is probably 1/20th the market of the 13" MBA, maybe less. Why waste the time? How about you give us some serious reasons why Apple should consider this rather than just saying go signup for this petition?

The 10" MBA would have been very possible if there was no iPad and the MBA went from high quality and high performance to lightweight and cheap junk offering less of an experience to save money and sell for the $500 price tag people are willing to pay for a 10" netbook like device. With the iPad, the whole point in a 10" MBA is for not.

Please explain where my philosophy is wrong. I truly want to hear/read a better argument here. I am open to reading and learning what anyone has to say in favor of such an MBA...

randomerratum
Apr 15, 2010, 01:52 AM
Well, you're definitely not getting one now. Apple is far to cool to cave to an internet petition. I'd expect they've scrapped any plans they had as soon as they saw this thing.
:apple::apple::apple::cool::apple::apple::apple:

Marx55
Apr 15, 2010, 04:46 AM
The iPad does Keynote which also presents PowerPoint, and it does everything more energy efficient by utilizing an ARM system in chip vs. Intel CPU, GPU, chipset, and etc. The iPad is the portability and performance YOU want, you just don't realize it yet. I seriously advise you to go try an iPad if you think Apple needs a 10" MBA. Tell me why exactly Apple should change the MBA from 13" to 10." Tell me why this makes sense? Tell me who wants this? Explain the user and the market better. Explain how this isn't falling into the exact same trap as netbooks which are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Like I said before, the day the iPad runs Mac OS X everything changes. I really think you're barking up the wrong tree to expect a 10" MBA. Apple would definitely prefer selling iPads to 10" MBAs. There is no doubt there. I just think you're wasting your time and energy to promote something that isn't going to happen and if it involves a transformation of the MBA not an addition to the product it would be devastating.

The MBA has been a success because it offers a MB like experience from an ultraportable. People are NOT happy with netbook like devices, which is why Apple hasn't introduced a netbook. Apple has done their research, and if a 10" MBA made more sense than an iPad, it would have already released the 10" MBA. Apple knows what the rest of us know, when wanting a computer there is a certain minimum level of quality and performance we're willing to accept, and it's a 13" MBA.

I believe a 15" MBA makes more sense... that's true if you read posts by people. Apple is wasting space on MBPs with outdated optical drives that essentially do nothing but waste space and weight which could be eliminated if not used with a current tech like BluRay. Some people want portable but also want 15" of display, they don't need optical, and they want lightweight and thin. I seriously welcome the addition of 15" MBAs, but I don't believe Apple would waste any time taking attention away from the iPad and giving it to a 10" MBA.

It doesn't make ANY business sense to have competing products that market to the same user or to too small of an audience. Who is willing to buy this 10" MBA? Selling apps and content makes more sense via the iPad model. What you're talking about in a 10" MBA is probably 1/20th the market of the 13" MBA, maybe less. Why waste the time? How about you give us some serious reasons why Apple should consider this rather than just saying go signup for this petition?

The 10" MBA would have been very possible if there was no iPad and the MBA went from high quality and high performance to lightweight and cheap junk offering less of an experience to save money and sell for the $500 price tag people are willing to pay for a 10" netbook like device. With the iPad, the whole point in a 10" MBA is for not.

Please explain where my philosophy is wrong. I truly want to hear/read a better argument here. I am open to reading and learning what anyone has to say in favor of such an MBA...

First of all, thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I would love to use the iPad, but unfortunately it does not deliver. See previous posts. It does not work properly with ALL Keynote and PowerPoint files created (both) on a Mac. And that is essential. Data is lost in the transition (video, audio, backgrounds, special fonts, tables, animations, transitions, etc). It simply does not work. At least for now.

The first key point is weight (no more than 600 g or so) and the second key point is size (no more than the iPad size). And must be 100% compatible with any Keynote and any PowerPoint file created on a Mac. And for now the iPad cannot do it as said. That is the problem.

So, either an iPad that does it (not possible now due to the different OSes) or an ultra-light and ultra-small Mac that does it (possible now if only Apple wanted to reduce weight and size) is what I am asking for. If you ask me, I rather get an iPad that does it than a MacBook Air mini that does it, but it seems impossible now with the iPad as said.

There is a large market for it. Think about lecturers all over the world that do not want to carry kilograms of weight. The same for scientific meetings, business meetings, and even people to show their friends and family their presentations on a large screen. And I mean for files created on a Mac. I do not want to create files on my Mac and then discover that I cannot show them fully and completely on other device (like the case of the iPad now). That is why a full Mac OS X inside is needed in such small device.

It is not to work on such device. It is just to carry it in the pocket or purse for the presentations. And it is possible, as Umid and Sony have demonstrated (see previous posts).

So, in summary, a Mac (real Mac to avoid any compatibility problem with Keynote and PowerPoint files created on a Mac) as light and small as possible. Now the best fit is the MacBook Air. But a better product can be made (smaller MacBook Air or iPad that does deliver).

Joe23
Apr 15, 2010, 07:43 AM
I'd rather have apple to redo/add to the current MBA.

- Get rid of those ugly bezel! either pack a 14" screen in the current form factor, or cut the bezel and make the size smaller, keeping the full-sized keyboard and 13" screen.

I completely agree with what you've said. Is there a valid reason why the bezels on Apple laptops are so big?

I would also love to see a higher resolution screen. The Air's rival, the 13.3" VAIO Z series has an insane screen resolution of 1920x1080. I'd happily pay for an optional higher resolution screen, much like with the updated MBP.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my Air to bits. It would be a shame to see it becoming neglected by Apple.

Dagless
Apr 15, 2010, 07:56 AM
Oh heavens no. Why would there need to be a smaller MBA? It's the perfect size now for doing proper work on the go. Something that I've (at least) never been able to achieve on a netbook or anything smaller than a MBA/MB.

unid
Apr 15, 2010, 08:00 AM
surely this lacking in imagination somewhat
a petition for a handsfree touchscreen wearable mbp with keyboard & screen projector i might sign.

iMacmatician
Apr 15, 2010, 08:06 AM
Mac OS X doesn't seem to be moving into smaller (than Air) form factors, if anything, iPhone OS seems to be moving up.

ReallyOldGuy
Apr 15, 2010, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, the iPad does not deliver:

- Cannot open properly Keynote presentations (.key) created on a Mac. Data is lost. Search Google to find it.

- Cannot open properly PowerPoint presentations (.ppt) created on a Mac. Even using the new DataViz Documents to Go to be released soon (NDA). Data is lost.

And the explanation is simple: the iPad is great, but it is not a Mac. To use properly Keynote and PowerPoint files created on a Mac, you need a Mac. The plain truth.

wait for the updates

I love my Air, however, i didnt take it for my last business trip, i took my iPad.

15" Air
+1