Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hello,
Can anyone help me set it up so when my mac is powered on it asks for a password? I have some nosey people in my house, and don't want them snooping through my files. Also does this work when coming back from the screen saver like in Windows?

Thanks
IMAC ABUSER

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
One option is located in the Preference panel under security and the other one under accounts and login options. And yes one of them is to make the screensaver ask for a password.

DarkNovaMatter

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2001
Kingjr3- yes the firmware passcode still works in panther and should even work in Tiger. It uses the firmware so it should have no problem of staying around just as long as the firmware is ok or not erased. It won't allow for firewire disc booting or even cd- even when you hold option at start-up it asks for your firmware passcode and then you can select a drive from the boot drive selection.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
DarkNovaMatter said:
Kingjr3- yes the firmware passcode still works in panther and should even work in Tiger. It uses the firmware so it should have no problem of staying around just as long as the firmware is ok or not erased. It won't allow for firewire disc booting or even cd- even when you hold option at start-up it asks for your firmware passcode and then you can select a drive from the boot drive selection.

Well that should keep people from snooping thats for sure. :D

Good luck hiding your pRon abuser :eek:

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Sort of on topic- What's the deal with my passwords? I changed my user password and now my login password is the new password and my keychain is the old password and I'm confused as hell!!! How do I make any and all passwords the same password?? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.