PDA

View Full Version : Need help with g4 purchase

supermegatron
Sep 20, 2004, 10:17 AM
http://www.baucomcomputers.com/
I am trying to decide between the dual g4 533 and the single 733 I dont know much about dual cpus so I was wondering at the prices on the website above which mac between the 2 would give me the best bang for the buck

RGunner
Sep 20, 2004, 10:33 AM
I would vote for the Dual 533 and actually have one being used....

OSX really does make use of Dual processors, unless you are strikely playing games and want a couple more FPS the Dual will be a better machine.

ChrisFromCanada
Sep 20, 2004, 02:39 PM
I would personally go for the single because not all apps do take advantage of dual processors. But the dual looks good too.

Brettla
Sep 20, 2004, 03:44 PM
I would go for the dual 533, because together you end up with a much faster computer than the single machine, but when you are looking at spending this much for a used computer, i think you should look at a new eMac, my mom has one of these computers, and it is very fast and very nice to use and then you don't have to worry about a monitor, or worry about buying a used computer.

NusuniAdmin
Sep 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
I would go for the dual 533, because together you end up with a much faster computer than the single machine, but when you are looking at spending this much for a used computer, i think you should look at a new eMac, my mom has one of these computers, and it is very fast and very nice to use and then you don't have to worry about a monitor, or worry about buying a used computer.

have you ever used a dual 1 ghz powermac vs a single 1.25. Trust me, hardly any apps take use of dual processor capabilities. It is usually an absolute pain in the butt to add in those capabilities to a app. I would go for the 733 machine, but like you said....emacs dont cost that much.

Brettla
Sep 20, 2004, 04:14 PM
I guess i didn't specify that when i was talking about ending up with a faster computer, i was assuming that you would be running more than one program, and that would take advantage of the dual cpu's by splitting up running the programs on to the 2 cpu's, so you would end up with a faster computer by distributing the running programs.

umgolfer
Sep 20, 2004, 06:13 PM
Those prices are really high on the website. I've got a G4 450 Sawtooth with better specs and am going to be posting it soon for ~$400 + shipping. I just paid about $500 for a Quicksilver 867 with better specs then the one they have listed for over $700. Try shopping these forums for a much better deal or try your local college to see what they are trying to sell. I know Univ. of Mich. (local to me and my alma mater) regularly sell off there used Macs at a great price. I just called over there and they have a bunch of G3 B&W's for around $300. Keep looking and you can certainly do better.

robo74
Sep 20, 2004, 09:10 PM
Guys name is Dave who owns that... dealt with him years ago for a B&W and had a few friends go to him as well. Always took care of us. If I am ever looking for a machine, I jump to his place to check it out. Some of the prices may a bit up there, but he always takes care of people and if a issue arises, he takes care of you as well.

Rob

deadfrog
Sep 21, 2004, 04:22 AM
Im currently using a dual 533, has lasted me fairly well.... The dual cpu will only be usefull depending on the programmes you use. Photoshop uses them if i remember correctly which is one of the reasons i went for it, also OSX supports them too. I think what someone else said about unless you are wanting to use it for games, which would be extremely silly considering its fairly old now, go for the dual.

You probably wont notice the extra 200mhz in most applications that dont utilise the dual cpu...

umgolfer
Sep 21, 2004, 07:02 AM
Guys name is Dave who owns that... dealt with him years ago for a B&W and had a few friends go to him as well. Always took care of us. If I am ever looking for a machine, I jump to his place to check it out. Some of the prices may a bit up there, but he always takes care of people and if a issue arises, he takes care of you as well.

Rob

That's good to hear about the guy. I always like to deal with people like that as opposed to say Best Buy that decides to change their extended warranties in the middle of your policy...grrr

allroy
Sep 21, 2004, 07:21 AM
http://www.barefeats.com/G4733.htm (Bare Feats)

http://www.baucomcomputers.com/
I am trying to decide between the dual g4 533 and the single 733 I dont know much about dual cpus so I was wondering at the prices on the website above which mac between the 2 would give me the best bang for the buck