PDA

View Full Version : Trafford Centre, Manchester UK

Dodgeroo
Apr 14, 2010, 04:04 AM
In the UK news? thread, there are plenty of people mentioning that they will getting theirs from the Trafford Centre. Of course, we don't know if there will be pre-orders, in-store reservations or anything yet, but if I can't pre-order mine then this is where I will probably be.

If so, it will be my first trip to an Apple store. I have a touch, iPhone and Macbook, but all were ordered online. Any experience from previous launches (esp at the Trafford Centre) that anyone can share?

Also, where abouts in the Trafford Centre is the store? I'm not too mobile, so the less walking I have to do to get there the better! :o

Streethawk
Apr 16, 2010, 10:38 AM
In the UK news? thread, there are plenty of people mentioning that they will getting theirs from the Trafford Centre. Of course, we don't know if there will be pre-orders, in-store reservations or anything yet, but if I can't pre-order mine then this is where I will probably be.

If so, it will be my first trip to an Apple store. I have a touch, iPhone and Macbook, but all were ordered online. Any experience from previous launches (esp at the Trafford Centre) that anyone can share?

Also, where abouts in the Trafford Centre is the store? I'm not too mobile, so the less walking I have to do to get there the better! :o

Mobility scooters are available from next to John Lewis if you need them. The store is between John Lewis and Selfridges, its on the upper level. If you are approaching from John Lewis end, its on your right.

Dodgeroo
Apr 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info Streethawk. Fortunately, I'm not quite at that stage, though I do walk with a stick. I'm hoping not to get bowled over if there is a mad rush! ;)

TerryJoyce
May 3, 2010, 11:33 AM
So I know the details of the date of release and ordering info is not out yet but who is thinking about going to the Trafford Center to wait in line??

Has anyone been to the Trafford Center before with the previous launches? Do the center allow you to stay in the building or do we have to wait outside??

Terry

Boblister
May 3, 2010, 07:15 PM
So I know the details of the date of release and ordering info is not out yet but who is thinking about going to the Trafford Center to wait in line??

Has anyone been to the Trafford Center before with the previous launches? Do the center allow you to stay in the building or do we have to wait outside??

Terry

I was there for the iPhone 3GS launch. It was a very civilised affair and very friendly. The Trafford Centre opened early just for the event. No other shops open so no other shoppers there, it was very eerie at first. I joined a line of around a dozen which grew over the hour or so before the store opened. People were let into the shop a few at a time so it didn't get crowded. They even provided us with coffee and I think it was cookies.

TerryJoyce
May 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
That sounds good. I am just now thinking do I take the morning off work and go down and join the queue or order online.

What time were people there from??

Boblister
May 5, 2010, 11:34 AM
The picture was just before they started letting people in at 8am. I have been there since just after 7am.

TerryJoyce
May 5, 2010, 01:55 PM
Sounds like I don't have to go the night before like in the USA. Now just wondering if there is anyone else who is going to be there. Oh and seek permission from the wife.

Pointer
May 5, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll be at the Trafford Centre on launch day if we are allowed to pre-order for pickup in store. I really hope we get some sort of pre-order details before Monday.

Boblister
May 5, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'll be at the Trafford Centre on launch day if we are allowed to pre-order for pickup in store. I really hope we get some sort of pre-order details before Monday.

You should be able to order and pickup in store. I don't think you will get any more details before Monday. Thats why they have said we hear on Monday.

Streethawk
May 7, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm actually off work already that day, off to a bike meet in the Yorkshire Dales for the weekend, but i dont leave until early afternoon so a trip to the TC in the morning, synch to Netbook in Starbucks and check everything works ok, then off to the 'dales with my iPad on my bike :D

I should be pretty easy to spot, being dressed in bike kit and lugging my crash helmet around.

TerryJoyce
May 7, 2010, 04:05 PM
I will more than likely see you there.

iPaddy
May 9, 2010, 03:12 AM
I'm torn between Trafford Centre/Arndale.
Which will have bigger and better queues + free food? :D

Dodgeroo
May 9, 2010, 04:48 AM
Free tea and biccies is all it takes to win you over huh? ;)

Streethawk
May 9, 2010, 11:45 AM
I'm torn between Trafford Centre/Arndale.
Which will have bigger and better queues + free food? :D

I'd say TC, easier and free parking, less traffic on a Friday morning (If it does happen to be a morning release).

Boblister
May 9, 2010, 02:54 PM
It's looking decidedly dodgy for pre-ordering and collect on the 28th.

Pointer
May 10, 2010, 02:23 AM
It's looking decidedly dodgy for pre-ordering and collect on the 28th.

Yep I won't be at the Trafford Centre on launch day as there was no option to collect in store. Will be waiting in for the postie instead!

Dodgeroo
May 10, 2010, 02:32 AM
Likewise :(

Shame, but at least I avoid an early morning nightmare of wrestling with public transport.

Streethawk
May 10, 2010, 04:40 AM
Undecided yet, i'm going to go into the Arndale store this afternoon and ask how they expect the in-store launch to work. I i have to be there at stupid o-clock in the morning then that's fine. I'd rather do that than wait on the postie when i have to be away on hols by 2pm.

Boblister
May 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
I am not giving up on the idea of collecting on 28th. I was looking forward to it. Apple sales person said there is a good chance that you will be able to select pickup a bit later on.

iPaddy
May 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
Given that I've pre-ordered, do you think it'd be a total let down if I queued anyway and bought a new set of earphones instead :D

Just to soak in the atmosphere.

iChristopher
May 10, 2010, 10:34 AM
It's a fantastic store. I'm in there most weeks!

Boblister
May 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
Given that I've pre-ordered, do you think it'd be a total let down if I queued anyway and bought a new set of earphones instead :D

Just to soak in the atmosphere.

Not a let down at all. There may be the free coffee again, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and lots of witty banter :)

iPaddy
May 10, 2010, 10:39 AM
Not a let down at all. There may be the free coffee again, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and lots of witty banter :)

DON'T TEMPT ME FRODO.

Streethawk
May 12, 2010, 03:19 AM
Any idea how early we can actually get into the TC?

Boblister
May 12, 2010, 04:00 AM
Any idea how early we can actually get into the TC?

For the 3GS launch I seem to remember it being 7am and Apple opened 8am.
Ring Apple and TC nearer the time.

Streethawk
May 12, 2010, 04:41 AM
Not too bad then, thanks Bob.

Streethawk
May 25, 2010, 03:54 AM
Apple opening at 8am on Friday this time too:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/traffordcentre/

I'll probably ring the store later and see if the TC is open at 7 or etc.

Streethawk
May 25, 2010, 04:30 AM
Just spoke to Manchester Arndale store and *some* Arndale entrances will be open from 7am, specifically he mentioned the one opposite the Big Wheel will be open at that time.

Spoke to the Trafford Centre store too and they dont know when it will be open, they advised me to contact the Trafford Centre itself.

Boblister
May 25, 2010, 04:36 AM
Just spoke to Manchester Arndale store and *some* Arndale entrances will be open from 7am, specifically he mentioned the one opposite the Big Wheel will be open at that time.

Spoke to the Trafford Centre store too and they dont know when it will be open, they advised me to contact the Trafford Centre itself.

Last year they opened the upstairs entrance of the Trafford Centre opposite the ASDA. I think it opened at 7am.

Streethawk
May 27, 2010, 04:11 AM
Just got an email back from the Trafford Centre, they'll be open from 5am :eek:

Boblister
May 27, 2010, 04:23 AM

Wow thats a turnaround from 8am. Methinks they may be expecting a bit of a queue. Mines in between Preston and here someplace.

gazzzmoly
May 27, 2010, 10:30 PM
omg i `m up!!!!!!!! do i really need and ipad this badly?

time to go an d queue 30 mins to trafford centre should be there for 5 my god i must be mad

Dodgeroo
May 28, 2010, 02:59 AM
omg i `m up!!!!!!!! do i really need and ipad this badly?

time to go an d queue 30 mins to trafford centre should be there for 5 my god i must be mad

I bow to your superior dedication mate :)

Once it was known there wouldn't be reservations I resigned myself to delivery.

Good news is though, you're going to love it! :D

gazzzmoly
May 28, 2010, 03:08 AM
I bow to your superior dedication mate :)

Once it was known there wouldn't be reservations I resigned myself to delivery.

Good news is though, you're going to love it! :D

I got in there at about 8:30. I am now sat in the orient(costa) playing with I must admit I absolutely love it !

Boblister
May 28, 2010, 03:12 AM

Did you manage to queue and get one?