Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
I just got a good deal on blank DVD-R media. At Office Depot, starting this Sunday, September 19, you can get "Buy One Get One Free" of Phillips DVD-R 25 pack. One 25-pack is $29.97, and you get the second free; not bad for 50 blank media. Oh yeah, plus 6.5% sales tax in my area of Florida.

The product label indicates 1-8x. When I got them home last night two of the blank media burned only at 4x.

Does anyone know why this would be so? I have also seen great deals on both Prodisc and Ritek 8x DVD-R media. Was wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences with buying blank media that says it's 8x and DOES, in fact, burn at 8x?

Thanks all input is appreciated.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Detlev_73 said:
I just got a good deal on blank DVD-R media. At Office Depot, starting this Sunday, September 19, you can get "Buy One Get One Free" of Phillips DVD-R 25 pack. One 25-pack is $29.97, and you get the second free; not bad for 50 blank media. Oh yeah, plus 6.5% sales tax in my area of Florida.

The product label indicates 1-8x. When I got them home last night two of the blank media burned only at 4x.

Does anyone know why this would be so? I have also seen great deals on both Prodisc and Ritek 8x DVD-R media. Was wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences with buying blank media that says it's 8x and DOES, in fact, burn at 8x?

You do have a burner that can burn 8x, right? Not one that tops out at 4x?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Detlev_73 said:

It won't burn at 8x because your iBook's burner only supports 4x. That PowerMac G5 you're getting will burn at 8x on 8x media.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
More specifics

Actually, I do have a Dual 2.0 G5 now, but I did the "mind-meld" thing to bring over my documents, and the like to the G5.

The DVD burner is the Pioneer DVR-A07, and from what I've researched it allegedly burns at 8x with 8x media.

The blank DVD-Rs I bought show 1-8x, they are Phillips.

I just burned another 2 DVDs, and they still showed as burned at 4x.

Anything I'm missing here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.