Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joyous1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Middle TN
I have a blog where I show off my photos. I've been using free online slideshows and imbedding them, but I found out that I could create my own gallery and host it on google sites, and imbed that onto blogger.

Problem is I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm using simple viewer (I really like the way it looks!), and it looks like I need to upload several files to google sites.

However, every instructions I've read only tell you to upload the swf file, and how to imbed that. That's all they say about it.

These are the instructions I've found http://www.ourpix.com/flash-slideshow/slideshow-for-blogger.html

I've played around, and I've uploaded my xml file, but it doesn't work. When I embed the swf file on blogger, it says "xml gallery not found" on the gallery viewer.
Not sure how to make this all work together, can anyone help me?

Thanks!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
pretty sure simpleviewer creates that xml from a PHP file that reads the directory of your images. You'd need to upload a whole lot of stuff for that to work if thats the case.

Also, check your flashvars in the embed because they would need to point to your xml and your xml would need to have image addresses local to the page your flash is embedded on. Does that make sense?

joyous1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Middle TN
pretty sure simpleviewer creates that xml from a PHP file that reads the directory of your images. You'd need to upload a whole lot of stuff for that to work if thats the case.

Also, check your flashvars in the embed because they would need to point to your xml and your xml would need to have image addresses local to the page your flash is embedded on. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your quick reply!

It sort of makes sense, but I'm kinda lost. I'm not sure how to make it happen. Maybe I should wait a few weeks until I can get my older brother to come over and hang over my shoulder and show me lol.

What is flashvars?

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
This is the best way I can describe it:

the swf needs to know where your XML file is,
the swf thinks that the swf's location is wherever the HTML page that it's embedded on is.
The XML file contains paths to images, these also need to be relative to the HTML page the swf is hosted on.

so if you have a file structure like:

/webroot
+/html
++index.html
+/swfs
++gallery.swf
+/images
++img1.jpg
+/xml
++gallery.xml

and gallery.swf is embedded on index.html, it thinks its location is /html so all file paths need to be relative to /html not relative to /swfs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.