PDA

View Full Version : Permissions are fun! JUST KIDDING. XD

ari.ell.a
Apr 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hi, guys. I'm somewhat new to Snow Leopard. I am able to easily navigate the preference and control panes and have been developing a better understanding of ACLs and POSIX and the way that they work. However, I feel that there are lots and lots of things about permissions that I need to learn --

for example, I can set and correct permissions to give people access to directories when they need it -- however, keeping those permissions in place is kind of tricky.

I kind of suspect that it has something to do with AFP being enabled? I theorize that people are creating folders on their computers and then bringing them over to certain sharepoints on our server, thus bastardizing the ACLs I have set. I started reading about inherit permissions today, but I figured it'd be better to ask than to dive in and disable AFP while a bunch of people here are working from these sharepoints.

So, basically, what I want to do is have the ACLs set on the server side reign supreme without ever getting mixed up with or altered by peoples' local permissions. I want to nuke all local permissions so that nothing is changed or inherited ever [when I don't want it to be.]

Here is a screen shot to show you what I'm workin' with.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9759/picture1ygr.png

I hope I haven't confused you guys too much.

Thank you for sifting through my ramble.

:o