PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect G5 powermac to Sony HDTV with HDMI

CanadianFawkes
Apr 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hi.

I need some help from all the apple home theater gurus out there.

I'm trying to connect a PPC G5 2.0 GHz Dual Core with the 128MB GeForce 6600 LE to my father-in-law's Sony HDTV (I think it's a Bravia, but I'll find out for sure) and Benq monitor (mirroring the displays). I have only had success connecting to the TV using it's VGA connection. When I try using a DVI to HDMI adaptor from the G5 to the TV, I can't get a signal. It doesn't matter what output off the video card I use, but the monitor will work using the HDMI adaptor.

I had the same issue trying this with a PPC G5 2.0 GHz DP with the 64MB Radeon 9600 Pro, but strangely with the TV connected via VGA, it gave me a great deal more resolution options. In fact, I get a whole lot more resolution options when running the monitor off of it as well, but that's a different matter.

I've read in the TV's manual that it says not to connect a computer to the TV via HDMI; it specifies using the VGA. It doesn't say why but I did manage to use the TV's HDMI input with my HP laptop. However, my laptop's HDMI out seems to no longer work and I'm not sure if this is related at all to the TV cooking it or something...

I've looked through the forum and can't seem to find anything specifically addressing my issues, but I have found a result online with someone having issues connecting a G5 to this TV.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!