Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Hi,
Several Questions
I realize FCP and AE can do different things, which is the easiest program to use for a beginner who is majoring in broadcast studies? I know the industry standard is Final Cut Pro but I can get Adobe CS 5 Master which includes AE for $500 However, I have herd Adobe Premier has Mac problems. I'm looking at them for Bumpers and Endings, Which program has more templates to use?
I am aware of the following
http://www.motionvfx.com/
http://motiontemplatesonline.com/
(My Skill set with Final Cut is Intermediate)
I can afford the $ for either which will be better long term?
Thanks

natlinxz

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2009
Hey, don't be a pedophile!
Pretty much anything by adobe will have poor performance on Apple hardware. I think Final Cut Pro would be a much better option for you, but Motion really doesn't do as much as you may think. It's mostly for changing the size of video, rotating video clips, adding filters, etc. Adobe After Effects can do actual special effects and does 3D as well, so they are very different programs. If it's special effects you want to do, go with after effects. If it's multiple layers of video, Motion will do the trick. But that's just my opinion, someone else might prove me wrong.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Knowing After Effects looks MUCH better on a resume than knowing Motion does. With that said, I like Motion better than After Effects.

P-Worm

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Pretty much anything by adobe will have poor performance on Apple hardware. I think Final Cut Pro would be a much better option for you, but Motion really doesn't do as much as you may think. It's mostly for changing the size of video, rotating video clips, adding filters, etc. Adobe After Effects can do actual special effects and does 3D as well, so they are very different programs. If it's special effects you want to do, go with after effects. If it's multiple layers of video, Motion will do the trick. But that's just my opinion, someone else might prove me wrong.

Motion has done 3D since version 3. While the earlier versions of Motion were a bit weak, version 4 especially i think is very close in terms of features to After Effects. Like has been said, After Effects does look better on a CV, but I think Motion is definitely the easier program to use, and it has the Apple UI, so if you're a FCP user you'll pick it up more quickly. It links together perfectly with the rest of the FCStudio suite too.

I'd personally go with Motion unless you specifically want the more industry recognised After Effects skills.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Motion has done 3D since version 3. While the earlier versions of Motion were a bit weak, version 4 especially i think is very close in terms of features to After Effects. Like has been said, After Effects does look better on a CV, but I think Motion is definitely the easier program to use, and it has the Apple UI, so if you're a FCP user you'll pick it up more quickly. It links together perfectly with the rest of the FCStudio suite too.

I'd personally go with Motion unless you specifically want the more industry recognised After Effects skills.

Mr Stabby,

I think I will get the FCP and forget about the Adobe stuff for now. Like I said I can do Intermediate Stuff with FCP. From what I have read AE has a learning curve.
However I want to take my skills beyond this
http://www.youtube.com/user/GrandViewTube#p/u/23/5WRYE4BkRT4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.