Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafirafi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
So I have the top of the line c2d 3.06 500mb 7200 late 2009 machine, 4 gb ram, running the faster graphics card always.

I am in design school, Masters of Landscape Architecture, and I run (or live in) the Adobe suite, and also use Fusion and Windows 7 for Auto CAD and Rhino. Does the new graphics card and processor mean a big step up in performance for me? OR should I wait another iteration? I could sell my current machine, and withe the ED discount, not have to pay too much more. Plus I would be getting the extra screen real estate.

But, I would be throwing down a few hundred dollars, dealing with the sale, and swapping machines.

What kind of performance upgrade is there between the two top end systems running the software that I am? Or would it make sense to just invest in having 8gb RAM?

Thank you in advance.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I did the jump from 4gb to 8gb and the difference wasn't huge - expect more from the jump to the i7 with an SSD.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I wouldn't imagine there would be such a huge difference, especially since you are currently running a 3.06. I have done some CAD work in win 7 on mine with a 2.4 GHz c2d and only 2 GB RAM, and it worked pretty well, so I don't think you would see a noticeable difference at all. However, if you want a pretty big jump in performance, I would say go for an SSD for your current machine. That would give you much more of a performance boost than going to an i7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.