PDA

View Full Version : Arndale Centre, Manchester, UK

roblawton
Apr 16, 2010, 12:10 PM
There's a thread for Trafford Centre, but I've decided to go for a change with the iPad launch.

Who's planning to visit the Arndale Centre in Manchester to get theirs?

I'm probably gonna pre-order on May 10th, but still get there for 9am for an early start.

Who's with me...?

Streethawk
Apr 17, 2010, 05:19 AM
I'm waiting for the actual date before i decide which of the two manchester shops.

Dodgeroo
Apr 17, 2010, 05:46 AM
As long as they don't stiff us on postage, I may well get mine delivered.

But I'm tempted to go to a store for 'the experience'. Sad huh? Having never set foot in an Apple store, it could be a good opportunity, as I'm sure there'd be a good buzz.

I'll weigh my options on the 10th.

roblawton
May 9, 2010, 04:20 AM
So dates and prices have been announced... Who's with me then?

I'm glad it's a Friday (still had to book it off work) but I'll be pre-ordering mine tomorrow morning, then travelling to Arndale to collect first thing in the morning of the 28th! :D

yegon
May 9, 2010, 05:07 AM
I'm torn between delivery and pickup, the Arndale being my local Apple store.

Great release day the 28th though for multiple reasons - it's payday, I'm already off work 5 days from the 28th, and I'm off on my hols on June 6th giving me ample time to pack my iPad with content \o/

roblawton
May 9, 2010, 09:16 AM
I'm torn between delivery and pickup, the Arndale being my local Apple store.

Great release day the 28th though for multiple reasons - it's payday, I'm already off work 5 days from the 28th, and I'm off on my hols on June 6th giving me ample time to pack my iPad with content \o/

It's my weekend off too! So I get to play all day/weekend!

I'd suggest collecting as delivery may come a LOT later than you expect (especially if there are a lot of pre-orders!) - You'll be gutted if it came at 5pm when you had the chance to go early and collect.

jakealdred
May 9, 2010, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know what time the stores are selling the iPad?

Streethawk
May 9, 2010, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know what time the stores are selling the iPad?

Nobody knows yet.

yegon
May 10, 2010, 05:47 AM
Well, the choice was made for me as it appears pickup wasn't an option when I ordered my 32gb 3G at 0500 this morning.

Given that I KNEW we'd be getting it late here I'd successfully put the iPad out of my mind for a couple of months....but I'm getting excited now!!!

Streethawk
May 10, 2010, 07:11 AM
Just been in the Arndale store, the guy there said pre-order should run for at least 2 weeks.

Also he said they were expecting a significant stock of iPads on the 28th and they dont expect them to sell out as soon as they open.

But i suppose he could be talking out of his *rse...

:EDIT Oh, he also said they'd be available as soon as they opened, i asked if he was sure they wouldn't be released at some point during that day and he told me they would definitely be available at opening time.

jakealdred
May 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
I finish school at 3.00pm they better have a 32GB WIFI + 3G for me :)

iPaddy
May 10, 2010, 03:26 PM
I finish school at 3.00pm they better have a 32GB WIFI + 3G for me :)

I'd be very surprised if they did.

jakealdred
May 10, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'd be very surprised if they did.
Why?

Streethawk
May 11, 2010, 10:27 AM
Why?

There's an expectation they'll sell out within an hour of opening. Even given what the guy in the store told me above, i dont think there's much chance of any being left after mid-day.

iPaddy
May 11, 2010, 10:38 AM
There's an expectation they'll sell out within an hour of opening. Even given what the guy in the store told me above, i dont think there's much chance of any being left after mid-day.

WHS.
Every Apple rep I've asked has said stores are expected to run out extremely quickly.

Streethawk
May 12, 2010, 03:17 AM
Given that pre-orders have now slipped, i think i'll be at the Trafford Centre on launch day. I think it should be quieter, less office workers trying to get one while they're working in Manchester.

gawuffy
May 23, 2010, 05:07 AM
Does anyone know if the Arndale Centre it's self will open early to allow a queue to form outside the Apple store, or if it's just a case of who can run the fastest when the doors open?

Streethawk
May 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
I asked on Friday and the staff didnt know. I'll pop in on Monday and ask again and let you know.

Streethawk
May 24, 2010, 07:04 AM
just been in again, to summarise, still no news of opening times, he suggested i ask again on Thursday.

AAPLaday
May 24, 2010, 07:08 AM
Im off work this week as its my birthday so i might pop along on friday to see what all the fuss is about. :D

Streethawk
May 24, 2010, 07:45 AM
Happy Birthday (it was my birthday yesterday!). :D

gawuffy
May 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
just been in again, to summarise, still no news of opening times, he suggested i ask again on Thursday.

Thanks for asking again - I guess we'll see what they say on Thursday. I'm wondering whether turning up at 8am on Friday will be too late..?

AAPLaday
May 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
Happy Birthday (it was my birthday yesterday!). :D

Cheers mate. Might celebrate with an iPad :D

Streethawk
May 24, 2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for asking again - I guess we'll see what they say on Thursday. I'm wondering whether turning up at 8am on Friday will be too late..?

Possibly too late, if demand is very high, he did speculate last week that they might open the Arndale at 7am then the store at 8am, by which time i imagine there could be a big queue. Its anybodies guess how many they'll have.

Streethawk
May 25, 2010, 03:52 AM
Manchester Arndale Apple store will open at 8am on Friday according to their store page:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/manchesterarndale/

The trafford centre on also says 8am by the way. :)

Streethawk
May 25, 2010, 04:29 AM
Just spoke to Manchester Arndale store and *some* Arndale entrances will be open from 7am, specifically he mentioned the one opposite the Big Wheel will be open at that time.

Spoke to the Trafford Centre store too and they dont know when it will be open, they advised me to contact the Trafford Centre itself.

gawuffy
May 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
Just spoke to Manchester Arndale store and *some* Arndale entrances will be open from 7am, specifically he mentioned the one opposite the Big Wheel will be open at that time.

Thanks for finding this out - good detective work! :)

Is there much chance of people queuing throughout the night to be early in the line, do we think?

Streethawk
May 26, 2010, 03:56 AM
Hard to say. Queues wont be helped by the 60' iPad advertising hoarding on Corporation Street. Personally, i'm planning to arrive about 6:30. Easy to spot if anyone wants to say hello, i'll be the one in motorbike kit carrying my helmet.

gawuffy
May 26, 2010, 04:38 AM
Personally, i'm planning to arrive about 6:30.

Hmm, so planning to be there from 1am on an all-night Apple vigil might be a bit excessive then? I'd been considering it as an option...

Streethawk
May 26, 2010, 04:40 AM
Hmm, so planning to be there from 1am on an all-night Apple vigil might be a bit excessive then? I'd been considering it as an option...

Well i'd imagine it could be a bit pointless if you're sat outside the Arndale all night and then let in at 7am the same as everyone else. Maybe you can bribe a security guard to get in early? ;)

gawuffy
May 26, 2010, 06:00 AM
Well i'd imagine it could be a bit pointless if you're sat outside the Arndale all night and then let in at 7am the same as everyone else. Maybe you can bribe a security guard to get in early? ;)

Good point! Only wondered in case queues started outside the Arndale before it opens - you know how we British enjoy a good queue! ;)

roblawton
May 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
I'm gonna leave home around 06:45 travelling Warrington to Manchester.

Arndale opens at 07:00 and Apple Store opens at 08:00.

I'll be there as early as I can with my "I'm a mac" tee on.

I'll save a spot if someone brings a cappuccino... ;)

escent
May 27, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am living in Lancaster, and pre-ordered but suppose it will be taken more than 2 weeks.

Anyway, is there anyone who is going to go to arndale tomorrow?
With this thread, I can't estimate how many ppl coming tomorrow.

If there's anyone, did you see anyone there now? haha.
I would love to know that~

Streethawk
May 27, 2010, 06:55 PM
Normally I'd have had a look, but I've been "working from home" today (aka, getting iTunes ready loaded with lots of iPad content on my netbook)

I'm like a kid at Christmas tonight and can't sleep!

gawuffy
May 27, 2010, 11:20 PM
For info, Arndale security have told the three of us who were waiting at the entrance next to the wheel to use the entrance next to The Birdcage nightclub on Withy Grove instead.

Streethawk
May 27, 2010, 11:27 PM
For info, Arndale security have told the three of us who were waiting at the entrance next to the wheel to use the entrance next to The Birdcage nightclub on Withy Grove instead.

Thanks, just about to leave now.

Streethawk
May 28, 2010, 12:50 AM
6:50, jus been let into the Arndale, about 30 people here.

yegon
May 28, 2010, 01:41 AM
Good luck folks!

If anyone can tell me if they're selling a decent range of, err, man bags for the iPad Id appreciate it. Might nip down late this afternoon when they've sold out and the queues have dissipated. The Apple case is good, but i need some kind of laptop bag for it.

AAPLaday
May 28, 2010, 01:53 AM
Not going to make it there today im afraid. Was out till late last night and only just woke up. I have ever been to a launch before but i wont get there till about 9 if i set off now. There is a PC world much closer to me. Might go and see if they have any. Not that im in a rush, i need to play with one first before i decide on it or not :p

Hope you all get the one you wanted though!!

Streethawk
May 28, 2010, 03:11 AM
I had mine by 8. They opened a bit early and i was 13th in a queue of about 150.

Now sat in Cafe Nero synching:D

And iTunes is crashing everytime i try and synch apps... damn netbook.

torodelfunk
May 28, 2010, 05:31 AM
I thought the Arndale and Apple did a pretty decent job today. Free coffee from Starbucks a bonus too!

I was 10'th in line & done and dusted by 8:15am. :D

yegon
May 28, 2010, 09:11 AM
In answer to my own question, nope, the Apple store in Manchester had nothing in the way of man bags / laptop style bags.

I was there at 2pm, still very busy, I heard one of the employees they still had ipads left - what models exactly I don't know.

gawuffy
May 28, 2010, 11:05 AM
What a crackin' day - got there for 5am, so was fourth in the queue (but kindly promoted to second by the people who were in front of me) - atmosphere was fantastic - both the Apple folks and the punters. Haven't been to an Apple launch like that before.

Came from there with my 16GB WiFi and a case, and very happy. Bit tired now, mind... :)

roblawton
May 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
What a morning in Arndale!

I arrived at around 7:15 and there was already a fair old queue!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roblawton/sets/72157624028712591/

Here are some photos I took during the morning. Let me know what you think.

AAPLaday
May 28, 2010, 01:32 PM

Busier than what i thought it would be. I went past about 4pm today and was still loads of people in the shop. Same with the Currys digital, they were all around the ipad. There were more people in Currys looking at the iPad than there were in the entire Sony Centre :eek:

Streethawk
Jun 2, 2010, 06:57 AM

I cant see myself, but i was 13th, towards the back of the first section of the queue, right in front of the store on your first photo.

maskov1
Jul 20, 2010, 08:04 AM
last week, totally sold out (like iphone 4)... but in currys digital not :)