Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greg_C

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
USA
Since I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to a 500GB harddrive, I've been ripping several more movies into iTunes using HandBrake. However, once I tried transferring them to my iPod Classic, I got an error saying they weren't compatible. To the best of my knowledge, they are no different in size/bit rate/resolution/codec than the several movies I was previously successful with playing on my iPod. Here are two screenshots from iTunes...The Bourne Identity won't transfer, while Live Free or Die Hard works just fine (and it even has a higher bit rate!)

Screenshot2010-04-16at124809PM.png

Screenshot2010-04-16at124833PM.png

I've searched around and couldn't find anything that explains this problem, so I'm really hoping someone can figure this out. :confused: FYI I'm ripping the DVDs to my harddrive with MacTheRipper and then converting them using HandBrake 0.9.4...The only thing I did differently with the videos that do work was that I had an earlier version of HandBrake. I'm not sure what settings or preset I might have used, but this time around I made sure to scale the resolution down to 640x___. I want to use the highest resolution possible so they look good on my computer as well as iPods. Thanks in advance!

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Presets

Just use the presets that come with Handbrake. If you rip at 640x272, you're wasting space on the iPod Classic, which only has 320 horizontal pixels. There is a preset for iPod Classic and it works very well. Don't try to "tweak" the settings unless you thoroughly understand video compression codecs.

-Aaron-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.