Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Considering there are many new services that can stream full-blown games from servers that are actually running the games from miles away, which requires almost no response lag, should stream at at least 20 frames per second, and shouldn't have compression that is too noticeable. Basically, the qualiy should be very close to playing the game as if you had a high-power desktop that was running it locally. Services like OnLive have demoed such technology, and at 720p resolution, too.

If OnLive can achieve this from distant servers, at least one remote desktop app should be able to achieve even better, or at least comparable performance and quality on the iPad from a computer that's on the same network. But as far as I know, no developer has come close to smooth remote desktop control from a different network or even on the same local network. The 1024x768 resolution of the iPad's screen should work perfectly for remote desktop control and viewing since there's an option for that resolution on any OS, so the experience wouldn't be ruined by controls to zoom, for example.

The experience of running a remote desktop app should seem extremely close to having your Mac inside of your iPad. Modern technologies have shown that this is possible. Currently, every remote desktop app that I have tried runs at less than two frames per second. Remote desktop apps should, and can be much better. Are there any great remote desktop apps available or in development?

JReynolds

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Where the Air Force sends me
I'm not sure exactly how the Tech works behind what OnLive is doing, but I'm sure it will be a few years before we have the bandwidth to handle desktop streaming near flawlessly. Hopefully Google rolls out there 1GB per/sec nation wide...:rolleyes: Not in my area :mad:

The potential for OnLive on the iPad though is endless. Hook up a bluetooth controller (PS3) and have the servers stream 720p video games to your iPad with little to no lag. It's like having a mobile Alien Ware computer for $829 or less!

I pray Apple and OnLive work something out!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Considering how OnLive can stream games smoothly with very little lag on an average connection, there should be one remote desktop app that can work very smoothly over a local connection.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
OnLive is getting a lot of attention precisely because there's nothing else like it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.