Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nsutton

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
6 Feet Under
Code:
user1='apples'
passw='bacon'

user2=raw_input("Username: ")
password=raw_input("Enter Password: ")
if user1==user2 and password==passw:
	print "System Acessed..."
else:
	print "Error: Incorrect username or password."

I've seen other ways to do this. Is this code insecure?

What are more efficient/better ways to make a python login?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
user='apples'

user=raw_input("Username: ")

if user==user

Recheck this code. It does not do what you expect it to do.

Edit: To answer the actual question, no it is not secure. You should hash and salt the password and store that. Then when you get user input you should hash and salt that in the same way and then compare the results.

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes, it is insecure. If you gave someone your "pyc" file, then they could search for human-readable strings in it and probably guess the user and password.

The typical way to prevent that is to use one-way hashing before a comparison of password.

Assuming the main reason for writing your code is not to develop "login", I think you could use various python modules that could help with a more secure solution. We use LDAP at work, although I don't know if it encrypts anything.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I don't disagree with what Cromulent said at all. We're moving hashes from MD5 to SHA-2, in fact. However, if the OP is just wanting to learn concepts, doing it this time with MD5 should be fine. Certainly they should be aware that this is not par for security right now, but if it serves to demonstrate the idea it can't hurt. Just don't build a new, production system with MD5.

-Lee

Nsutton

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
6 Feet Under
The whole point of making the login to just to learn how to create a login and the diffrent ways of hashing and encrypting.

Nsutton

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
6 Feet Under
Code:
#HASH 'N' EGGS
import hashlib
#Username Hash
user = hashlib.md5()
user.update("apples")
user.digest
#Password Hash
pw = hashlib.md5()
pw.update("bacon")
pw.digest

#User/Password Input
user2=raw_input("Username: ")
password=raw_input("Enter Password: ")
if user2==user and password==pw:
else:
The hashing seems to work for me but when you enter the correct username/password it doesn't accept it...I assuming i need to dehash it to enter a the dehashed user/pass. But How?

changxii

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
The whole point of making the login to just to learn how to create a login and the diffrent ways of hashing and encrypting.

If you're looking for a good source to learn about cryptography/computer security check out these notes. Prof. Kak has basically made a free online textbook and updates it every semester. Chapter 15 deals with the different types of hashing described above.

http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~kak/compsec/Lectures.html

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
The current problem with the hash is that while you are hashing the user/password to compare it to, you are not hashing the ones that are being input by the user, so right now the equals test will be something like
Code:
'apples'=='a4337bc45a8fc544c03f52dc550cd6e1e87021bc896588bd79e901e2'
(I just chose a hash from the hashlib doc). I'll update this with some code in a bit, so you can see an example.

EDIT:
Code:
#HASH 'N' EGGS
import hashlib
#Username Hash
user = hashlib.md5("apples").digest()
#Password Hash
pw = hashlib.md5("bacon").digest()

#User/Password Input
user2=hashlib.md5(raw_input("Username: ")).digest()
password=hashlib.md5(raw_input("Enter Password: ")).digest()
if user2==user and password==pw:
else:

#Just chose to make all the hashs one line, it easier for me to understand
#Hashed the input directly for security reasons (no local variable for the unhashed info)
#Usernames don't always need to be hashed, depending on how you want to access the system and what features you want to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.