PDA

View Full Version : Away from the comfort of my Wi-Fi

MajorTCS
Apr 17, 2010, 10:06 AM
I am on the road,without Wi-Fi or Cell coverage(Vermont). I have noticed how annoying it is not to be able to download a story or web item and read it later without being online. Is there a way to save information for off line viewing? Goodreader? Another App?

andyblila
Apr 17, 2010, 10:07 AM
USA Today does.

klrobinson999
Apr 17, 2010, 10:13 AM
Instapaper?

Doju
Apr 17, 2010, 10:22 AM
Instapaper?Yeah, this. Install a bookmarklet and you can save directly from Safari.

ZZ Bottom
Apr 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
If you find no solution before your trip, you could always use Opera Mini Browser. If you open a bunch of pages and leave them as tabs, they are viewable even without net connection. This obviously limits you to single pages of a possibly multi-page article, but works none-the-less.

Yixian
Apr 17, 2010, 10:38 AM
Don't all the newspaper apps do this?

MikeCase
Apr 17, 2010, 11:00 AM
Another vote for Instapaper. I love how it syncs all the saved pages really quickly and strips the page of everything except the article. I'd be willing to punch babies if Instapaper was taken away from me.

NJRonbo
Apr 17, 2010, 07:14 PM
I am reading the reviews on Instapaper and
someone says that the button for SAFARI
does not work on the iPad so you cannot save
those pages for later viewing.

Can someone confirm this?

lonman06
Apr 17, 2010, 07:16 PM
I am reading the reviews on Instapaper and
someone says that the button for SAFARI
does not work on the iPad so you cannot save
those pages for later viewing.

Can someone confirm this?

It works. I have saved several pages from my iPad.

marksman
Apr 17, 2010, 07:17 PM
I wonder if this will become something that gets better with 4.0. I think with fast-task switching being able to save apps will make it much easier to have data to view even when not around wifi.

In fact I think it will make a massive difference in a lot of cases.

virx
Apr 17, 2010, 07:20 PM
"Offline pages" which is free.