Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Hi, I recently configured my Mac OS X 10.6.3 Server and now wanted to turn on Software Update Server too.
When my clients, while being set to the correct IP address of the server, continued to say "No new update available." although they should see some, I opened the path to the 10.6 software catalogue in my browser:
http://192.168.3.112:8088/index-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

There I found all URLs referncing files on the server to use a DNS name instead of the IP address 192.168.3.112 (at which the server actually is located).

I don't have a local DNS server running in our network, however I had configured the one on this Mac OS X 10.6.3 server some time ago but turned it off recently.

What can I do to make Software Update server use the IP address and not some DNS name that actually doesn't work. What could be misconfigured? Where is the place Software Update server looks for a DNS name to use instead of an IP address?

Thanks in advance for all your ideas!

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Hi satcomer, thanks for your reply!

I carefully read through the two pages you linked in your reply but all information I found seems to be based on the assumption I am running a DNS server on my Mac OS X server.

However, actually, if somehow possible, I'd like to keep things easy and stay away from configuring a DNS server and giving my Mac OS X server a domain name. Still I'd like to use Software Update server and make it use my Mac OS X server's IP address instead of some DNS-name.

jcesl2

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Djibouti
Canubis- did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem. It will provide updates to itself, but not the 2 other computers on the network. Says there are no updates even though they need updates. And I don't have DNS configured on the server. Thanks

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
The easy fix is to use DNS

The hard fix is to change the way that the software is meant to be used, without support from the vendor, unless you want to pay them $$$$

Take your pick

jcesl2

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2010
Djibouti
Well, that was easy. The second DNS was on and the workstation was pointed to it, updates were available.

Thanks for the push to just configure DNS.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Most of Mac OS X Server doesn't work as it should without DNS properly configured.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.