PDA

View Full Version : Is Steve Jobs still "lusting after this" ?

entatlrg
Apr 17, 2010, 01:49 PM
I was reading an old NY Times blog with an interview moments after Steve Jobs introduced the Mac Book Air.

Here's some of his quotes -

"one of the best things his company has ever designed."

“I’m going to be the first one in line to buy one of these,” he said. “I’ve been lusting after this.”

What's Steve lusting after now? An iPad :rolleyes:

A busy man like that is creating content all the time, certainly he can't get by with an iPad :)

Here's to hoping he's still using his Air ... and that he still have the same feelings now as he did in 2008.

ravenvii
Apr 17, 2010, 02:40 PM
This is true - 2 years ago. The MacBook Air WAS arguably the best thing the company has ever designed.

A company can't just design the best thing they've ever designed, then sit on that for years. There has to be a time where they designed something better.

For now that was the iPad.

So... what's your point?

dmw007
Apr 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
I am sure that Steve Jobs still has "lust" for the MacBook Air. It is still a great, super portable notebook computer. The focus has shifted away from the Air, but this is only natural as ravenvii has pointed out.

I am sure that Apple will soon update the Air - speed bumped Core 2 Duo processors and a 320m graphics chip most likely.

ValSalva
Apr 17, 2010, 05:00 PM
A company can't just design the best thing they've ever designed, then sit on that for years. There has to be a time where they designed something better.

If that's true then Apple is in big trouble. IMHO the only thing 'better' about the iPad compared to an Air is its marketing.

entatlrg
Apr 17, 2010, 05:43 PM
This is true - 2 years ago. The MacBook Air WAS arguably the best thing the company has ever designed.

So... what's your point?

What's my point? What do you think it is?? :rolleyes:

I hope the Air gets a revision and keeps going strong of course!

armadus
Apr 17, 2010, 06:10 PM
If that's true then Apple is in big trouble. IMHO the only thing 'better' about the iPad compared to an Air is its marketing.

Better for what? The iPad is much 'better' computer for my parents than a MacBook. No more windows, menus or file hierarchy; and it's fun! It is also much better for children. It is not better for computer geeks, but they are not the target market.

I have a feeling Steve uses something similar to an iPad as his main portable. It is much more inline with his idea of what a computer should be.

Scottsdale
Apr 17, 2010, 07:11 PM
But in reality, the original MBA was a piece of junk that couldn't run like a normal user would expect a Mac notebook to run. It was the MBA re-introduced in October 2008 that blew my mind not just in appearance but also in capabilities and performance that could truly be a sole/primary Mac.

ValSalva
Apr 17, 2010, 07:23 PM
Better for what? The iPad is much 'better' computer for my parents than a MacBook. No more windows, menus or file hierarchy; and it's fun! It is also much better for children. It is not better for computer geeks, but they are not the target market.

I have a feeling Steve uses something similar to an iPad as his main portable. It is much more inline with his idea of what a computer should be.

Not sure we should be insulating children from the complexity of computers. With complexity comes power and flexibility. I want my children to learn and create, not just consume.

The iPad is a consumption device. Let's not make it out to be more than it is: a highly overhyped TV 2.0 type gadget.

Scottsdale
Apr 17, 2010, 07:34 PM
Not sure we should be insulating children from the complexity of computers. With complexity comes power and flexibility. I want my children to learn and create, not just consume.

The iPad is a consumption device. Let's not make it out to be more than it is: a highly overhyped TV 2.0 type gadget.

True, both of my young children manage 13" MBPs just fine. I agree, the younger we give computers to our kids the better they will understand them and focus on using them as resources their whole lives. The iPad is perfect for my grandma, but it fails to offer many of the features my young kids really want!

The iPad is about observation only *consumption as you put it. I agree fully, everyone is overhyping this thing and calling it a computer - it's not a computer it's an entertainment device. One cannot create or work on it, because it's inferior in capabilities to run apps, input data, or even flexibility and capability to connect other peripherals.

calderone
Apr 17, 2010, 08:31 PM
No, you can't create anything on the iPad:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=898849

entatlrg
Apr 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Us MacBook Air owners "get" the iPad ... we understand what it is and what it isn't.

Reading all the posts about it here in the MBA forum is a hell of a lot more realistic that reading about the iPad elsewhere ... in time a lot of people are going to be eating their words I'm sure.

Yes, it's great "before you go to bed" or "coffee table" device.

I learned it's limitations fast, everything I wanted it to do it didn't do well, lol. Such a perfect device to browse real estate listings for example ... no Flash means no go ... time to grab the MBA.

LOL

Sitting around drawing cartoons isn't going to bring me very far in my business.

A little more thoughtfulness and practicality in the design of the iPad would.

ValSalva
Apr 17, 2010, 08:40 PM

That's your 'proof'? My five year old nephew can do that stuff for 1/100th the price of an iPad. That stuff just reinforces the idea that the iPad is a toy.

When people talk of creating with Apple it usually connotes high end and professional content (or it has until now). Good luck creating pro quality content on an iPad.

dukebound85
Apr 17, 2010, 08:45 PM

ok?

we have different ideas on "crete" when it comes to a computer apparently

Supa_Fly
Apr 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
Personally I think the iPad helped jobs while recoverying from surgery and allowed him to stay in the loop of the Apple Inc business while at the bedside.

I'm still amazed at how popular the iPad is today. Personally it doesn't fit into my needs/lifestyle. I don't wish to look like some stewardess. And somewhere around the world Gates is snickering at his idea finally coming to the mass-market. The age of the tablet is here.

ValSalva
Apr 17, 2010, 09:21 PM
Personally I think the iPad helped jobs while recoverying from surgery and allowed him to stay in the loop of the Apple Inc business while at the bedside.

That's good speculation. It's almost like the rest of Apple is willing to indulge him possibly because of his illness. They were doing very well under Tim Cook in his absence. It's simply mind boggling that they'd stop pushing Mac overnight for something as recycled and underwhelming as the iPad.

glitch44
Apr 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
That's good speculation. It's almost like the rest of Apple is willing to indulge him possibly because of his illness. They were doing very well under Tim Cook in his absence. It's simply mind boggling that they'd stop pushing Mac overnight for something as recycled and underwhelming as the iPad.

"Indulge him"? "Stop pushing Mac overnight"? Sit down. We need to have a talk, fanboys.

You need to calm down. It's a computer. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't. If you don't want the iPad, you don't have to buy it either. Stop taking it as a personal attack that Apple didn't update its products to exactly what you want, when you want, for $300 less than it actually costs. Yes, I want an Air update too but it hasn't happened yet. Honestly, if this is your biggest problem in life, your life is pretty freaking good.

But if when you start talking business, you should try hard to avoid saying stupid things. The iPad is on track to sell 10 million units by the end of 2011. A large percentage of those are to PC users who may eventually become Mac users. I don't own one but it seems to make some people pretty happy.

This on top of brisk Macbook Pro and iPhone sales has given Apple more than $40 billion in cash reserves. Apple is stronger than ever, so, no, they're not indulging him and no they haven't stop pushing Mac overnight.

calderone
Apr 17, 2010, 10:40 PM
That's your 'proof'? My five year old nephew can do that stuff for 1/100th the price of an iPad. That stuff just reinforces the idea that the iPad is a toy.

When people talk of creating with Apple it usually connotes high end and professional content (or it has until now). Good luck creating pro quality content on an iPad.

Sorry, I have a Mac Pro for that. The Air is also a toy. 2GB? 1 USB Port? 100mbit Ethernet which then uses up your USB port? Yeah, great machine for "Pro" content.

The claim was that the iPad couldn't be used for creation. An example of creation is given and then the definition of creation becomes more strict. And with that definition the Air wouldn't even qualify for most people.

This is hardly meant to be "proof" of anything. However it does refute the notion that the iPad is "consumption" only, as was claimed here.

ok?

we have different ideas on "crete" when it comes to a computer apparently

So creation has a requirement? What is it? It seems to be the device that you are using to create is what matters and qualifies something as a "creation." Is that your argument?

dukebound85
Apr 18, 2010, 12:32 AM
So creation has a requirement? What is it? It seems to be the device that you are using to create is what matters and qualifies something as a "creation." Is that your argument?

Something that needs a computer to be made. I don't consider making house sketches a creation that requires a computer

Can that app manage a workflow? integrate with other apps? if not it is useless to me

Creation in terms of a computer is code, websites, photography, movie edits, recording music, etc. All of which workflows exist to assist in the creation

calderone
Apr 18, 2010, 01:15 AM
Something that needs a computer to be made. I don't consider making house sketches a creation that requires a computer

Can that app manage a workflow? integrate with other apps? if not it is useless to me

Creation in terms of a computer is code, websites, photography, movie edits, recording music, etc. All of which workflows exist to assist in the creation

What a narrow definition of creation.

But, Sketchbook Pro does support exporting via iTunes file sharing. Which means you can do the sketch and move it to your main machine for further work.

I am not maintaining that the iPad can or should be used as a primary source for creation, bug these bogus claims that is for consumption only are plainly false.

The Macbook Air falls to these criteria. Sure the "workflows" exist, but the hardware is far too little for creation of the type required and people requiring their "business" to go far.

Also note, this post was created on my iPad. If I could only consume I wouldn't have been able to do that.

dukebound85
Apr 18, 2010, 01:19 AM
What a narrow definition of creation.

But, Sketchbook Pro does support exporting via iTunes file sharing. Which means you can do the sketch and move it to your main machine for further work.

I am not maintaining that the iPad can or should be used as a primary source for creation, bug these bogus claims that is for consumption only are plainly false.

The Macbook Air falls to these criteria. Sure the "workflows" exist, but the hardware is far too little for creation of the type required and people requiring their "business" to go far.

Also note, this post was created on my iPad. If I could only consume I wouldn't have been able to do that.

Narrow? I merely gave examples

Ok so besides this drawing app, what other creation apps are there? Why would one choose this device over a conventional computer for creation purposes? It is very limited in relation. That is the whole point

calderone
Apr 18, 2010, 01:24 AM
Narrow? I merely gave examples

Ok so besides this drawing app, what other creation apps are there? Why would one choose this device over a conventional computer for creation purposes? It is very limited in relation. That is the whole point

I did not state that one must choose the iPad over a conventional computer. In fact I have quite plainly stated the opposite.

All I am saying is that the claims that no creation can be done are false. In addition the arguments used against the iPad can easily carry over to the Air, also making it a "toy."

.summerfree
Apr 18, 2010, 01:31 AM
Another MBA vs iPad thread? /sigh

You need to calm down. It's a computer. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't. If you don't want the iPad, you don't have to buy it either. Stop taking it as a personal attack that Apple didn't update its products to exactly what you want, when you want, for $300 less than it actually costs.

True say. I for one would like to see what Apple does with the next revision of the Macbook Air, but for now it seems like the iPad has the spotlight. I don't mind though, because I quite like the iPad. It's a neat tech toy, albeit an expensive one, that does what it's meant to do exceptionally. Sure, people criticize it for being a big iPod Touch, but at the same time I think that's the beauty of it as well.

But back to the MBA for a sec, I've got fingers crossed for a 10 hour (or more, hopefully!) battery life in the next revision like they did with the new 13" MBPs. 4GB of ram would be nice too. Can't get your hopes and expectations too high when it comes to a revision, though- it seems the people here often forget that and end up getting upset.

Supa_Fly
Apr 18, 2010, 02:46 AM

Take a look at the past of articles right here on macrumors.
3mths
Steve Jobs being sick with reports of Jobs not in the office.
Reports of Jobs still in the loop with Apple while at home.
Jobs still chief of design initiatives for the rumoured (now shipping) iPad.

Look at the presentation and how comfortably Jobs takes a seat in the couch on stage. To be honest I think this is the first, and thus far, ONLY stage at any Apple press event where there is a couch on stage. No, I'm not going to hot link and research all the press items previously mentioned but I know they're on this macrumors site.

And also the fact that OS X was put on the back burner for OS X Touch development to meet iPad's launch target. The recent board member that had moved onto another plane of existence was quoted as being critical about Apple NOT being forthcoming (before all the press outside of Apple Inc) regarding Jobs' health - which we ALL are too familiar with.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this was something VERY dear to Jobs' heart and made his health that more bearable.

I'd like to see ALL the top brass of Apple in good health. They DO need some time off to enjoy their health and families = they ALL deserve it.

PS: Another reason I'm happy to own a Mac ... I went to the Eaton Centre Store on Wednesday with my son just to pickup the full qwerty keyboard for the Mac Mini and didn't have to wait longer than 2mins. Purchased it and was asked for a back which I was MORE than happy to accept and out the door. When I got home I noticed the blue "Thank You" sticker on the keyboard box!! :O wow imagine that, A major publicly traded corporation that is thankful for your purchase for something even as small as a $57CAN dollar purchase (even though CAN dollar is almost at parity). That ALONE speaks milestones! And although Windows pays my bills - my support work - I doubt I'll purchase another Dell/HP/Gateway/etc machine EVER again. :apple:

MikeyMike01
Apr 18, 2010, 03:52 AM
PS: Another reason I'm happy to own a Mac ... I went to the Eaton Centre Store on Wednesday with my son just to pickup the full qwerty keyboard for the Mac Mini and didn't have to wait longer than 2mins. Purchased it and was asked for a back which I was MORE than happy to accept and out the door. When I got home I noticed the blue "Thank You" sticker on the keyboard box!! :O wow imagine that, A major publicly traded corporation that is thankful for your purchase for something even as small as a $57CAN dollar purchase (even though CAN dollar is almost at parity). That ALONE speaks milestones! And although Windows pays my bills - my support work - I doubt I'll purchase another Dell/HP/Gateway/etc machine EVER again. :apple:

Jeez, you've got some egregiously low expectations.

iDisk
Apr 18, 2010, 06:47 AM
Apple is a MOBILE DEVICES company. That's who they are, it's what they do.

Everyone prior to the iPad, used either a smartphone or a laptop.

iPhone
iPad
Notebooks

The MacBook AIR isn't going anywhere. Why? Cause it's a MOBILE DEVICE.

Just look at the new MacBook Pro's. The current 15"-17" notebooks beat ALL the 21.5" iMacs in performance and is on the same level as the 27" i5 in certain benchmarks.

Apple is closing the gap between desktop and notebooks. Half a terabyte hard drives and solid state drives, 8GB ram, processors that can reach up to 3.34GHZ!, High Resolution Glossy and Anti Glare displays, 8-10hr battery life, glass trackpad with more gestures. If you need more screen real estate buy the 24" LED display that has IPS technology.

Mindsets have to change, it's old to think that desktops of ANY kind reign anymore. 2010 and beyond is the years of mobility and these new Pro Laptops show that, the MacBook and MacBook Air are next.

Not to worry.

gri
Apr 18, 2010, 09:17 AM
Apple is a MOBILE DEVICES company. That's who they are, it's what they do.

The MacBook AIR isn't going anywhere. Why? Cause it's a MOBILE DEVICE.

Mindsets have to change, it's old to think that desktops of ANY kind reign anymore. 2010 and beyond is the years of mobility and these new Pro Laptops show that, the MacBook and MacBook Air are next.

Not to worry.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? Or do you mean with "its not going anywhere" that it is not going to be EOL'd - than I agree.