Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

40developer7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I'm having a problem getting my **MacBook** set up to build **iPhone** **apps** in **xCode**. The iPhone **Simulator locks up** and shows the "spinning circle" busy icon.

I've tried everything I can think of, including

- resetting the simulator
- tried all of the different hardware options in the Simulator (5 or 6)
- tried the two debug build choices in xCode.
- uninstalling the SDK and completely reinstalling
- tried creating xCode projects on Desktop and in \Developer...

I downloaded the SDK "**xcode_3.2.2**_and_iphone_**sdk_3.2**_final"

I'm just upgraded from Leopard to **Snow Leopard (10.6.3)**. I've run all the software updates. **xCode** version says **3.2.2** (1650)

If it matters, my MacBook is 3-4 years old, 13 inch, dual 2.16 ghz intel cores, 2 gig RAM. I've never had a single problem with it.

I would be so grateful if anyone can help me

thanks so much,

skunkworker

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I'm having a problem getting my **MacBook** set up to build **iPhone** **apps** in **xCode**. The iPhone **Simulator locks up** and shows the "spinning circle" busy icon.

I've tried everything I can think of, including

- resetting the simulator
- tried all of the different hardware options in the Simulator (5 or 6)
- tried the two debug build choices in xCode.
- uninstalling the SDK and completely reinstalling
- tried creating xCode projects on Desktop and in \Developer...

I downloaded the SDK "**xcode_3.2.2**_and_iphone_**sdk_3.2**_final"

I'm just upgraded from Leopard to **Snow Leopard (10.6.3)**. I've run all the software updates. **xCode** version says **3.2.2** (1650)

If it matters, my MacBook is 3-4 years old, 13 inch, dual 2.16 ghz intel cores, 2 gig RAM. I've never had a single problem with it.

I would be so grateful if anyone can help me

thanks so much,

Does it work to build for an actual device? And which application locks up? Xcode or iPhone simulator. Use the activity monitor to see if a program stops responding. Also you don't need the "**something**" everywhere.

40developer7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks so much for the help

I just finished installing the 4.0 SDK. (on someone else's recommendation). I made a new windows-based iPhone app (HelloWorld) and tried a build/run (Simulator-4.0 | Debug)

Same exact behavior... The simulator appears and the rainbow spinning progress wheel just keeps going and going

I took a sample from the process ("not responding...") - I'm attaching it to this in case that helps

thanks again, i really appreciate it.

thanks again

Attachments

• Sample of iPhone Simulator.txt
    25.4 KB · Views: 199

40developer7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
I haven't had any luck loading a test App onto my iPhone. I even tried zipping the folder, changing extension to .ipa... I don't have the $99 developer "membership" at this point

I get "... is not a valid application"

I installed the new SDK 4 beta. Although I checked off all the SDK's on the install, i only see 4.0.

So I'm wondering if it won't load because my iPhone is not 4.0 OS

i may just install the last SDK again and work from there. The 4.0 beta doesn't seem to have helped at all

Thanks again!

dcbr1000

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Ok I had the same problem and tried to contact apple with no luck there. here's what I did to solve my problem, I was going to to format my drive and reinstall OSX snow leopard but i got to thinking that it was something with the upgrade from older versions of OSX so I decided to just install snow leopard on a portable drive first and see what happen and it worked and now the simulator does not freeze anymore. so what I'm saying is try a reformat and install of snow leopard fresh or like I did install onto a external drive if you don't want to do that,which is what worked for me. hope this help alot of people cause I been searching all over the net for a solution. also I have the same macbook as you have so the specs were the same.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I haven't had any luck loading a test App onto my iPhone. I even tried zipping the folder, changing extension to .ipa... I don't have the $99 developer "membership" at this point
Without jailbreaking, you must be part of the paid developer program in order to deploy your app to a device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.