Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
IL
Word, I have PowerMac G4 with a dsl connection running through ethernet and it has an airport card. Now i just got an iBook and I would like to have my PowerMac send a wireless signal to the iBook to connect to the internet. How is this done. I think I have everything set up right but I cannot get on the web. I can connect to my powermac and view all my files on it from the iBook but not to the web. I have full signal strenght and it says I am connected to my powermac on my ibook and vice versa. I dont know what I have done wrong. Please help!
Thank you.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003

Sys prefs, sharing, share airport connection. You did say your tower was connected via ethernet, right?

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
IL
appleretailguy said:
Sys prefs, sharing, share airport connection. You did say your tower was connected via ethernet, right?

I have it set to share my connection under sys prefs->sharing->share internet connection... it is sharing it but for some reason i cant get on the web... i just sits there and times out. yes my tower is connected via ethernet

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
tell it where to share from

You have to tell the computer where to share from (i.e., the airport card). I know there is an option for that somewhere in the system prefs.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
IL
wwooden said:
You have to tell the computer where to share from (i.e., the airport card). I know there is an option for that somewhere in the system prefs.

on my powermac it is set on:
Internet Sharing On:Sharing you Built-in ethernet connection

share your connection from built-in ethernet

to computers using: airport

I am pretty sure i have set up right but I just cant get on the web. my ibook has a full signal and says it is connected to my powermac. I dont know what is up.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Also check "services" in sharing prefs and enable "personal web sharing" or just make sure ports 80 and 427 are open in the firewall tab otherwise your web access will be blocked.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
IL
Finiksa said:
Also check "services" in sharing prefs and enable "personal web sharing" or just make sure ports 80 and 427 are open in the firewall tab otherwise your web access will be blocked.

that was it!! thank you very much!!

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Riot_Mac said:
that was it!! thank you very much!!
We aim to please ;)

I actually had the exact same problem with my Power Mac and iBook, took me a good day figure out it was such a simple solution.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
IL
Finiksa said:
We aim to please ;)

I actually had the exact same problem with my Power Mac and iBook, took me a good day figure out it was such a simple solution.

alright... i cant get ichat and mail to connect... what ports do i have to open

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Riot_Mac said:
alright... i cant get ichat and mail to connect... what ports do i have to open
iChat should be ports 5297 and 5298.

Mail can be a little trickier, the most likely ports are 25, 587 and 110. It's unlikely but you may need to open these also 465, 995, 143 and 993 depending on what mail software and protocols you use, but the first three should do the trick.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Just so you know what you're doing here's a list of common email ports and protocols, thinking about it you may have to open port 143 (if you use IMAP).

SMTP - 25
SMTP Secure - 465
SMTP Submission - 587
POP3 - 110
POP3 Secure - 995
IMAP4 - 143
IMAP Secure - 993

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.