PDA

View Full Version : G3 ibook

myoldwatermill
Apr 18, 2010, 02:41 AM
Just wanted to know if there are any reputable places to buy older iBooks for reasonable prices.

My four year old daughter is finally getting her legs in the of technology. I wanted her to learn some responsibility of taking care of her own laptop.

Pretty much anyone in my area, north suburbs of Chicago, on craigslist want 300 to 500 dollars for these old iBooks clamshell or otherwise... Absolutely appalling to see. Esspecially since i don't trust a lot of these sellers to give me a working unit.

Thanks in advance!

Hellhammer
Apr 18, 2010, 02:49 AM
eBay or Craigslist are your only choices unless you know someone who has one and might sell it

They are old so it's hard to find perfect unit and due their age, many parts are taking their last breaths

myoldwatermill
Apr 18, 2010, 02:56 AM
Yeah that whole last breath metaphor is actually really, and i hadn't thought about that.

I can't justify 550 for an iPad or 1 grand on a MacBook for a four year old.

Hm. There has to be a solution though.

Hell, I really appreciate the response. Definitely giving me things to think about.

If anyone has suggestions, I definitely would love to hear 'em.

Hellhammer
Apr 18, 2010, 03:03 AM
Yeah that whole last breath metaphor is actually really, and i hadn't thought about that.

I can't justify 550 for an iPad or 1 grand on a MacBook for a four year old.

Hm. There has to be a solution though.

Hell, I really appreciate the response. Definitely giving me things to think about.

If anyone has suggestions, I definitely would love to hear 'em.

Mac Mini? Intel Mac Mini go for ~400$, even less. Then grab a (used) monitor for ~100$ if you don't have any at home and KB&mouse for ~40$.

Good thing about Mini is that when she wants/needs new one, you can use the Mini as server or HTPC or of course, sell it.

Paulywauly
Apr 18, 2010, 04:07 AM
Mac Mini? Intel Mac Mini go for ~400$, even less. Then grab a (used) monitor for ~100$ if you don't have any at home and KB&mouse for ~40$.

Good thing about Mini is that when she wants/needs new one, you can use the Mini as server or HTPC or of course, sell it.

Defiantly! its probably gonna last longer than any iBook your gonna find and you can be confident she isnt gonna spend a good portition of her childhood years waiting for things to load up :p

instaxgirl
Apr 18, 2010, 06:01 AM
You might be able to get an iBook G4 for cheap.

I know they sell on ebay for about 50-100 over here. I checked this week because I thought about selling mine to offset the cost of a new MBP then decided it really wasn't worth it.

Mine at least is still a pretty viable machine for everyday computing. I'm only upgrading because I've slightly borked the power cord and the hard drive is just too small.

myoldwatermill
Apr 18, 2010, 11:19 AM
I have been doing a little bit of looking, I for the life of me cannot find a Mac mini for under 400 dollars. Still can't seem to find a power pc iBook for less then 100.

Like I said I am looking to spend as little money as possible.

Hellhammer
Apr 18, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have been doing a little bit of looking, I for the life of me cannot find a Mac mini for under 400 dollars. Still can't seem to find a power pc iBook for less then 100.

Like I said I am looking to spend as little money as possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mini-Mac-MA607LL-A-Mac-Desktop_W0QQitemZ190390023032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZApple_Desktops?hash=item2c54213378#ht_512wt_998

Very good deal IMO. 2GB RAM, Snow Leopard... A LOT faster than iBook

Kingcodez
Apr 18, 2010, 10:44 PM
I'm in China, and ibooks are still around the $300 mark here.
I just wanna get one to mess with.

flopticalcube
Apr 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
Or look here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120558272484 :D I highly recommend the seller!