Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
What apps do you think will completely set an iPad apart from the iPhone apps? Right now, most apps are mainly ports of iPhone apps and aren't too revolutionary or game changing, yet. So, what kind of app(s) would fully take advantage of the speed of the iPad, the larger screen size, etc.

P.S. Do you think games will end up dominating the app store in terms of popularity just like it did for the iPhone, or will it turn in a different direction?

Soulcrux

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
What apps do you think will completely set an iPad apart from the iPhone apps? Right now, most apps are mainly ports of iPhone apps and aren't too revolutionary or game changing, yet. So, what kind of app(s) would fully take advantage of the speed of the iPad, the larger screen size, etc.

P.S. Do you think games will end up dominating the app store in terms of popularity just like it did for the iPhone, or will it turn in a different direction?

First off, a few apps seem pretty different from iPhone apps IMO.
Elements comes to mind, as does Netflix.

But i do agree we need to see more applications that are based purely on iPad as a canvas than right now.

I really don't know what would be the "game changing" app. Sorry. Hope some devs have some grest ades.

Second, Yes, games will most definitely dominate the app store. Why? Games are easier to create (at least to think up, etc.) than apps that DO something.
Also, people are crazy for games. I personally was very picky with games on my iPhone, as i am with the iPad (Only games I have downlaoded are Aurora Feint 3 and Tap Tap Radiation. Mirror's Edge is on my wish list.) So i hope that at least for the iPad, there's at least a bit more ratio of Apps:Games than for the iPhone.

BossHogg

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Hazzard County, GA
iWork - Pages, Numbers, Keynote.

Made this road warriors Macbook a dust collector - shhh....don't tell him that. Nothing like tossing my backpack into the closet and shedding several pounds of Macbook as I walk thru NYC with a small messenger bag now and just my iPad.

I commute a long way to work and the iPad is Godsend for me. I've already worked up a half dozen Board level Keynotes, a bunch of Pages Agendas, etc. and some spreadsheets on the train alone.

At the Office, take my iPad everywhere. Take notes, share work in progress on iWork and show my presentations. Simply awesome. :D

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
I think that the games will be given. They're expected. In essence, they are already "the game" so they can not be the game changer.

I think interactive books with rich media content and to a lesser extent magazines and newspapers will make a big difference.

The big thing though will new business specific productivity apps in combination with the multi-tasking that will become available in 4.0. The iPad is now, and will continue to be a terrific media consumption device. When it becomes more useful to accomplish business tasks it will become a true companion device for a lot of people.

As a side note, it is already perfect for my business needs being a lightweight, highly portable, light note taker, PDF reader with web/email/calendar that is also perfect for sharing content. As more and more business specific apps are created, I think many people will find it not leaving their side.

EDIT: BossHogg beat me to this idea a little.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
A durable case.
An automotive interface cable.
Diagnostic software + Technical manual access/search/display.
Throw in a scheduler/billing app that interfaces with the shop's system over WiFi.

One for every auto repairman in the world, maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.