Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patp

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
to all the first gen ipod touch owners we honor you in your quest for finding any accessories for your "outdated" unit.

I bought my Ipod Touch when it first came out and still love it to this day. The search for accessories is tough as all the vendors have seemingly abandoned this model (rightfully so I will say).

Still a great unit and gets used everyday. Lots of love for you my reliable friend.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Still use my ipod touch 1st gen (I got a 2nd gen with my macbook pro purchase but gave to my gf)

Its great and I use it way more than my nvidia ION netbook.... however im peeved that it wont have OS 4 on it... we should be able to have that damned update... and further more we should have multi tasking eneabled

I know what your all thinking... it has specs much slower to that of the up to date models... and yes your right... but mines jailbroken and multi tasking works fine...

It should atleast be an option for us...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I still have both of mine, bought late 2007, and love them a lot. My 16 Gb is sadly showing it's age. The flash memory is slowing down so it now takes a very long time to sync with iTunes. I still list it as one of the best things I ever bought. My other one sits on a shelf all day long waiting for a purpose.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I bought (well pre-ordered) a 16GB 1G the day they were announced. I still use it sometimes, but my 3GS is my primary device now. I really love the design though, I prefer it to the look of the 3GS.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I bought the 16gb 1st gen iPod Touch the day they came out. I enjoy using it everyday. Great device for my needs.

Only problem is that lately, it seems to not want to connect to wifi if left on for long periods of time. Very odd.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have a 32GB 1st Gen iPod Touch that I still use off and on. I have an iPhone 3GS that I use more, but the iPod Touch is used at night when the phone is charging. It still looks and works perfectly.

You can tell, though, that the iPhone is a LOT faster than the iPod Touch 1st gen. It's really getting pokey.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I have a 32 GB model, which I think I bought on release day. I still use it daily and it still lasts all day on one charge. After discovering that OS 4 won't run, I installed Backgrounder and I'm still happy enough with it :)

blackhawk08

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
bought 1st gen 8gb when it came out. I can notice the difference in the battery performance, but it still lasts quite a while. How much longer do you guys think these will last, given that most people use them everyday? I heard somewhere around 3 years

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
My 32gigger has just turned 2. Has been in constant use to and from work since the day I got it. I still prefer the flat design and the black bezel to the later gen designs.... its starting to get a little bit senile as far as battery life goes, and the backplate is scratched to ****

... you'd better believe I'm eyeing up iphone4 and hoping for a similar redesign in the next gen touch

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
My 32GB is now a music server in my basement. Pretty good for pumping music to the bar. The iPad is my new oversized portable music player, reader, etc. ;)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I too purchased my 16gb version a few weeks after it was released as all the shops either sold out or did not hold it in stock.

It still does what it says on the tin !

Not worried about multi tasking at all.

Plays my music without fault and allows me to kill time by watching a movie or playing a game.

When my 1st generation finally gives up the ghost and goes to ipod heaven then i'll invest in another.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I still use my 8G every day- mostly at night to listen to the radio/podcast. It is certainly slow compared to my 3GS- but this really does not concern me.

Unfortunately my home button is broken so I barely have to touch it for it to take action- but I've learned to work around it. The thing I miss most is a speaker and external volume control buttons. I'll probably retire it this fall when the 4th gen version comes out.

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
I pre ordered the 16 gb touch when it was first announced (or at least put up for pre order). I used to use it all the time, though not since i got my 5th gen nano, in fact, i actually have no idea where my touch is :s.

TheMechanic

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
Berlin
I pre-ordered my 16GB 1G touch when they announced them. I still use it and i'm glad that most apps I use run on it without any problems.
Nevertheless I would really like to replace it with an iPhone. But for that to happen O2 Germany has to carry the iPhone first... :(

ranguvar

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2009
Got my 1st gen two weeks before the 2nd gens came out. Those were the times before I knew MacRumors :eek:
Unfortunately, the home button doesn't really work too well anymore, and it's becoming slower with each update.

Nevertheless I would really like to replace it with an iPhone. But for that to happen O2 Germany has to carry the iPhone first... :(

Same thing here. I wouldn't mind unlocking, but there's no unlimited data plan available in Germany, no matter which provider. And I'd bust the 300MB (!) data cap in like 30 minutes...

Cricketman

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah, got mine the day it came out as well. Felt nice being the only person with it. The jailbreak came earlier/was more stable for the iPod Touch than the iPhone too in it's early stages (iirc) so it was even better than iPhone counterparts!

Now, every other person has a 2g or 3g touch, which looks far better I must say.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I am an upgrader. I bought a 1st gen and sold it on CraigsList for almost full price when 2G came out. My 2G broke around the time of 3G. Tragedy leading to joy. :p

.summerfree

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
16GB v2 here! Despite a few scratches and regular wear&tear, mine's still going strong. The home button tends to go numb/unresponsive sometimes though. Jealous of the 2nd and 3rd gen-ers with their speakers and bluetooth. But the big question- would I upgrade to the iPhone? I'm on the fence. I crave the iPhone in my life one day, then realize that maybe I don't really need it the next. Having 3G would've been extremely useful in some situations I've been in, but the reality is that most of the time I've got access to a wifi network wherever I am. Speaking of upgrades though, I don't mind that multitasking won't be coming to the 1st gen. It was made to handle what it was capable of at the time- and perfectly, I might add. Jailbreak's been the best way to get the most mileage out of my 1st gen.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Got one that first Xmas after my wife offered to buy me an ipod for Xmas - a classic - and I said "actually, what I really want is..." I ended up paying for it myself, but I loved it to bits.

She loved it to bits too, using it to watch the entire West Wing several times over. I got an iphone this Christmas, and she demanded the Touch as hers, and she still uses it every day, with no complaints at all except that watching video can drain the battery after a few hours.

patp

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Just got an iPad and now my Ipod Touch seems so small. ;)

still love that little guy. Still works great and even though seems to be slower loading pages and apps, still a workhorse.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Bought my 1st generation 32gb iPod Touch in 2007. On it's third year of daily use and still going strong. *knock on wood* However, it has been restarting during a podcast playback about once every couple of days on the way home from work for the past couple months.

Patiently waiting to see if the next iPhone comes to Verizon or not. I would love an all in one device. AT&T does not work in the building I work at.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I got a 1G not long after they first came out but then I got a 2G with the back to school promo. Now I use the 2G as my normal iPod and I use the 1G as a TomTom with the car kit, mainly to save space on my 2G. But now if TomTom releases a 4.0 update (which I'm sure they will) I'm going to be screwed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.