Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi guys. I figured this section is the best part of the forum for this thread.

I have been urging to play some handheld video games and I heard the PSP is one sweet device for this if you hack it and install PS1/Gameboy/Nintendo 64 games for it.

1. I just want to know, if I got a PSP-3000 from Bestbuy right now for 170 bucks, is this easy to do and does it work well?

2. I also have an 8 GB MicroSD card from my cellphone, does the PSP take those kind of cards or do they take something else?

3. Is this illegal even if I have purchased the games?

4. Are there any other console games that work on the PSP? Sega Genesis perhaps???

Thanks MacRumors!!! Never let me down!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As far as I am aware the PSP-3000 is yet to be hacked with custom firmware. I could be wrong however.

The PSP uses Memory Stick Duo so MicroSD is no use.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hi guys. I figured this section is the best part of the forum for this thread.

I have been urging to play some handheld video games and I heard the PSP is one sweet device for this if you hack it and install PS1/Gameboy/Nintendo 64 games for it.
N64 emulation is never going to work on a PSP. There aren't enough buttons for one, PS1 emulation is good though (you have to use the analogue left/right for L2/R2). It also runs really laggy and you can't play with sound/music. The rest are fine though and they actually run perfectly.

1. I just want to know, if I got a PSP-3000 from Bestbuy right now for 170 bucks, is this easy to do and does it work well?
Not sure if the 3000 has been modded, newer ones certainly have protection against it. At the moment I believe they're limited as to getting a modded firmware on a 3000. They use something the HEN launcher which can run limited homebrew.
Could be waaaay out though. I don't have a 3000.

2. I also have an 8 GB MicroSD card from my cellphone, does the PSP take those kind of cards or do they take something else?
Nope. The 1000-3000 use Memory Stick Pro Duo. The Go uses an M2 (mini Memory Stick).

3. Is this illegal even if I have purchased the games?
Some would argue it's just format shifting.
Some would argue it's illegal.
FWIW I'm dead against piracy but I don't see a problem with format shifting. But there are others (the overwhelming majority I'd guess) of PSP modders who just use it to pirate games.

4. Are there any other console games that work on the PSP? Sega Genesis perhaps???
Mega Drive emulation is available (PicoDrive, even supports SegaCD with MP3 music). I've got a Commodore 64 emulator too (not used it much thoguh). The GB/C emulator supports Master System games. GBA emulation is perfect. There's an Amiga emulator but it runs really badly.
As far as homebrew goes there's Powder, Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, Flashback, Cave Story.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I'm sorry but I might've misunderstood what you said, but did you say that PS1 games run without sound?

Also, what PSP do you guys recommend for me which is best at hacking and homebrewing and stuff?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Also, what PSP do you guys recommend for me which is best at hacking and homebrewing and stuff?
The PSP-1000, first ones.

If you get one used, you can easily hack it.

I think for the Slim, you have to do Pandora's Battery and Magic Memory Stick.
(I'm probably off on this, I've been out of the PSP hacking scene for a while)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ That's wrong now. You need a Pandora battery to hack into any PSP. You're best getting a PSP-2000.

PS1 games have full sound and music. N64 games are slow, have no sound/music and the controls don't work.
PS1 games can be really big though. Might want to look into getting a big memory card too (I have a 4gb, looking into getting a 16gb one for my holidays).

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ok sounds like I am getting a PSP 2000 then. Is there any official place I can still buy a refurbished/new/used PSP besides Gamestop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.