Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
I have two 13inch white macbooks. We got them about the same time so I really need two new ones. Mine has a cycle count of 275 and I am a student, it seems I always have some extensive project due. I find my self swapping out mine and my husbands (while he is at work of course) and charging one while I use the other!

I don't know how much longer i should wait. What is the cycle count where you call a battery cashed out? Because I need two and I am on a budget I have been looking on ebay at batteries like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-for-App..._Batteries?hash=item3a59a62358#ht_2548wt_1167

While I love the idea of this price over 129$ through the apple store, I am also scared that this may somhow damage my precious macbook... Has anyone else ever bought a battery from somewhere other than apple? I would like to hear about good experiences and especially bad ones. If you have had good luck I hope you wouldn't mind sharing where you bought yours and how much you paid..

Thanks in advance:D

pricej636

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Florida
I have two 13inch white macbooks. We got them about the same time so I really need two new ones. Mine has a cycle count of 275 and I am a student, it seems I always have some extensive project due. I find my self swapping out mine and my husbands (while he is at work of course) and charging one while I use the other!

I don't know how much longer i should wait. What is the cycle count where you call a battery cashed out? Because I need two and I am on a budget I have been looking on ebay at batteries like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-for-App..._Batteries?hash=item3a59a62358#ht_2548wt_1167

While I love the idea of this price over 129$ through the apple store, I am also scared that this may somhow damage my precious macbook... Has anyone else ever bought a battery from somewhere other than apple? I would like to hear about good experiences and especially bad ones. If you have had good luck I hope you wouldn't mind sharing where you bought yours and how much you paid..

Thanks in advance:D

I've tried some replacement batteries in laptops Ive had over the years and have noticed one trend, the claimed battery life of the replacement batteries usually isn't even close. I've never had any issues with OEM replacement batteries. All I by nowadays is OEM batteries, whether they be apple or PC batteries.

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
Although I'm less than thrilled with the quality of Apple's batteries I purchased 2 replacements for my Aluminium macbook (spend a lot of time on intercontinental flights) with them. I stay away from eBay for stuff like this, too many frauds and counterfeit goods that could damage your equipment or are downright bad quality. They should change their name to PirateBay but that one's already been taken.

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
Although I'm less than thrilled with the quality of Apple's batteries I purchased 2 replacements for my Aluminium macbook (spend a lot of time on intercontinental flights) with them. I stay away from eBay for stuff like this, too many frauds and counterfeit goods that could damage your equipment or are downright bad quality. They should change their name to PirateBay but that one's already been taken.

This is my fear as well.. but i really need a new one soon and i'm not sure when i will be able to buy apple ones:(

I downloaded coconut battery and it says I still have 94% of it's original life, but it sure doesn't seem that way!

whiteking

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
You do not have to buy batteries in the Apple store. Usually the price is high. I suggest that you can go to Amazon, buy.com, nextag, shopping.com etc, not only ebay. Many of their products are OEM batteries. And they also have a long warranty. Good luck!:)

macnfab

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
NorthEast IN
Thanks... I was just concerned that maybe a cheaper product would damage my precious macbook;)

i will do some more looking:apple:

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
I have a white macbook and i bought an ebay battery:

Heres my opinion:
1. It works for 4-5 Hours easy usage. Mission accomplished
2. If you are gonna buy from ebay, just buy the cheapest one, they are all from china anyway
3. If you are interested, this is the one I bought so i can vouch for this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Battery-for-Appl...ItemQQptZLaptop_Batteries?hash=item439e0549f4

Downsides:
-Does not report cycles correctly, mine is at 20 cycles but i have at least 50 on it.
-health went down to 80% quickly but now it rests at 88, sometimes it goes to 92.

Verdict: I think the cells themselves are of similar quality to the OEM ones but the casing has crappy chinese firmware on it.

for 30 dollars shipped, I cannot complain whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.