Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSBilovemusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Hey, my iPod Touch was dropped awhile ago. The screen was pretty much shattered, now the back plate is coming off a bit around the top of the device. I'm just wondering if Apple would be able to replace the screen and the back plate, how much it would cost, and where i can do this online. Thanks!

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Well, there are two ways of going about this.

The first is go to ifixit.com, and buy all the parts you think you need. You can try to replace the bits that were damaged, and see if it works. It sounds like you may need $80-100 in parts, and with that, you're taking a risk.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPod-Parts/iPod-Touch-1st-Gen

Or, you can take it to the Apple store and get 10% off the cost of a new iPod by trading it in to be recycled. That would make the 8GB 2nd gen iPod Touch $180 or a 32GB 3rd gen iPod Touch $270.

The newer touch models are a whole lot faster than the 1st gen, plus they offer the volume control and speaker.

TSBilovemusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Why not just take it to an Apple Store and ask? Hell, why not just call Apple and ask?

thats what i plan on doing, but unfortunately they are closed on sunday, so i thought maybe someone knew something here.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
AKAIK, repairs to iPods by dealers are a "whole unit exchange". In other words, you get back a completely different iPod.

If you're handy with small/tiny devices, you might want to try getting a display from eBay.

I did this recently for a cracked display on my old iPod Video. Local third party repairers wanted about AUD$100. Displays from "reputable" online shops wanted AUD$24 + shipping.

I found an eBay vendor selling them for AUD$13 SHIPPED! Took the plunge and (thankfully) all was well! The connectors and flex cables are VERY delicate and easy to damage but I had no problem.

I'm almost tempted to start my own iPod repair depot. :D

EDIT: Of course, the touch panel may make this story a whole lot different. Research the procedure BEFORE you buy!
________
no2 vaporizer

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.